Pre-Workout/Post Workout/Vitamins?

LizC7

Cathlete
Hello
Does anyone recommend anything pre-post workout or necessary vitamins (fish oil)? I'm working out 6 days a week (usually one of the rotations by Cathe) and eating fairly well. I'm not trying to lose weight but would like to see more overall toning and muscle development. Someone recommended some of the Beachbody products but they seem pretty expensive.

Thanks Cathletes!

If you go to bodybuilding.com, they have tons of vitamins/supplements at very good prices. My DH orders muscle building "stacks" from them, that includes vitamins, protein powder, BCAA, fish oils, and some other fancy stuff supplement stuff :D. Here is the link if you are interested:
Supplement Stacks at Bodybuilding.com

As far as Beach Body, I just ordered Body Beast and was also looking into some of their supplements -- boy are they super $$ :eek:. I just can't bring myself to spend $125/month on Shakeology. You could probably get *similar* products at a more reasonable price at your local health food store or bodybuilding.com.

Good luck!

Natasha

If you go to bodybuilding.com, they have tons of vitamins/supplements at very good prices. My DH orders muscle building "stacks" from them, that includes vitamins, protein powder, BCAA, fish oils, and some other fancy stuff supplement stuff :D. Here is the link if you are interested:
Supplement Stacks at Bodybuilding.com

As far as Beach Body, I just ordered Body Beast and was also looking into some of their supplements -- boy are they super $$ :eek:. I just can't bring myself to spend $125/month on Shakeology. You could probably get *similar* products at a more reasonable price at your local health food store or bodybuilding.com.

Good luck!

Natasha

That's the bad thing about Shakeology. The freaking price! It is an absolute awesome product and I honestly don't think you can find anything like it in other health food stores or sites, but It's just too expensive. I would love to have one every day, but I just can't justify the cost. I think it's going up, or just recently went up in price, too. I got an email about getting it right away so I could get a price lock since it was going up.

I love shakplogy too. Low in calories high on vitamins minerals, low fat. But way to expensive. I got it once and loved it for a meal it had desent protein and all i need. Mad lol it is high, i cant buy it again.

I've been drinking Knudsen brand 100 percent tart cherry juice post workout. Its not everything you need, but I tried it on Cathe's recommendation for inflammation.

Something very simple: I drink an Emergen-C before each workout. Sometimes I put it in my water bottle and drink that while I'm working out.

I agree about Shakeology. I got a sample 1 lb. bag from BB when I ordered Les Mills Pump. It was delicious and when my husband read the ingredients he said this must be expensive. It has great stuff in it. I don't think you can find anything like it at the health food stores. But it is way too expensive and I have never bought because of that. I am not a fan of protein powders, meal replacement drinks or even supplements for that matter but I loved Shakeology and would buy it if it was more affordable.

Great multi, 1-3 grams fish oil, I take 20 grams of Wheybolic 60 from GNC twice a day (1st thing in the am and post workout with a banana). IMHO, those are the basics, everything else is specialty.

Perhaps look into taking CLA?

It is available at Costco for a good price. I saw it there today. It is supposed to help w/ muscle tone. I checked some reviews on Costco.com (since I trust that people aren't putting fake ones on there like they sometimes do Amazon) and it got good reviews. I think it was like $10 or $15 for a big bottle.

I'm going back there tomorrow to purchase it. :)

If you eat a well balanced diet with all the recommended servings of the five food groups, supplementation is not necessary - no matter what the multi-billion dollar diet-supplement industry is telling us.

It is A LOT healthier to stick with real foods than the man-made crap.

Here is an article Bloomberg published a while back about Shakeology.

The Adventures of Superfood Man - Businessweek

Several other links that question the necessity of supplementation:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-behind-top-10-dietary-supplements?page=2

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/health/30vitamin.html?_r=0

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09338.html

I am getting off my soap box now ;)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.