Power Hour Warm-Up

wutherhi

Cathlete
Does anyone else do an additional warm-up before beginning PH? Or do you feel that the included warm-up with lighter weights is enough? I worry that the warm-up style is different in this video because we're trying to get a full workout in within one hour.

I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself if I don't warm up really well. I've heard so many people mention having to go through PT or even surgery. I still feel my present level of physical fitness is tenuous. Having to give up the weights for a prolonged period of time frightens me. I'm so afraid of reverting back to my old habits (and weight!).

So, is it overkill? Paranoia? Am I silly for doing an additional warm-up. Am I wasting my time?

No, you're not silly! You are the only one who can judge what works best for you. If you feel that the warm-up in PH is not sufficient for you, do a 5-10 minute warm-up of your choice before starting the workout.

I usually do my own mini-warmup- I'll just walk up my steps, do some lite jumping jacks, etc. In BodyPump classes, the warmup is similar- you don't do a "typical" warmup/stretch and you use the barbell in your warmup. I never really liked this.

So go ahead and do your own warmup!! You could do your own warmup while Cathe is doing hers to save some time.

Like everyone says, do what works for you.

I use the warm up from Rythmic Step as my all-purpose warm up routine before all weight training workouts, unless I'm coming off the back of a cardio workout.

It works for me and I love the music, so it gets me in the mood to focus on my body.

Clare

Hi Wutherhi,

I dont think your silly at all, the first time I did power hour I was so sore and stiff for four days, it made me wonder if the warm up was sufficent for my old limbs, so the next time I did it I used the bodymax warm up to get my muscles going and it worked for me, I know it has been said in some books that we should not do more than four minutes warm up for strength training as it could over stretch the muscles but everyone is different, and if it works for you and it feels safe who cares.

Hotchick

> I know it has been said in some
>books that we should not do more than four minutes warm up for
>strength training as it could over stretch the muscles but
>everyone is different, and if it works for you and it feels
>safe who cares.
>
>
>Hotchick
>

I don't remember ever reading that. Where did you see that info?

OOPS!! sorry kathryn and Wutheri,

I should have refered to fitness info again before posting this, as I have a brain like a sieve and always forget what I read.

What I should of said was, according to what I read in the 'complete book of fitness'by Karen andes, is that, a weight training workout warm up should not exceed eight minutes as it becomes counter productive, and that vigorous stretches before a warm up might overstretch the muscles.
however my warm up obviously exceeds eight minutes as I do the bodymax warm up with the power hour warm up and I dont find it counterproductive at all ,because the power hour warmup on its own seems to leave me stiff, so I have to have a longer warm up, and my main point was that I did not think it was silly for Wutheri to add another workout on to power hour if it works for her.

hotchick

I also read something very similar to this just recently, maybe in Muscle & Fitness hers this month.

It said that it is counterproductive to stretch before a strength workout because you temporarily lose strength in the muscles you stretch, although it does return later. Still, this panicked me: lose strength right before I hoist a 40 pound barbell?!?!?!?!?! What's the point?

I didn't mention this to Cathe but I suppose I would be interested in her take on this, maybe I should ask her?

Clare

Lose strength! Ohmigosh! This is not good! Oh, wait, maybe it is. Maybe, if we don't stretch, we'll become Schwarzeneggerettes! We'll be JUGGLING those 40-lb barbells. (At least the first day. After that, we'll be so sore from not stretching we'll be lucky to limp over to the 40-lb barbell.) :eek: Let's do ask Cathe about this one. I'd be interested to hear what she has to say.

OK then I will post it to her. I want to go home an check my issue of the mag first if it was there that I saw the article, as I'd like to be able to quote exactly, then she won't think that I made it all up!!!!

Clare

Hi,

I always do an extra warm up prior to PH, I choose IMAX 1's warm up because the music is so uplifting, I could lift anything after that buzz !

Anna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.