Poor doggie!

Oh, Carola, weren't we just talking about your many animals the other night?:p They always find the ones who can't say know!

I don't guess you've gotten close enough to see if he/she has any black on his tongue; that's usually a give-away that it's got some Chow.

We still have room for another, and, really, Wilma would probably like it. Not so sure our cat, Archie, would, though. Wilma's more than he can handle.

I hope you can find someone to take him...try Craigslist. That's how I got my girl!

Yes, I have 5 Aussies :D

The picture is not great because I had to print it and then scan it. Couldn't find the cable for my digital camera :confused:

Looks like a Chow/Shepherd mix to me. What do you guys think?

360234747.jpg

awwwah, he's cute. I'd take him if I was in AZ.

Yeah, his tongue is black, I am pretty sure he's a chow.

I can send him on an airplane ride to your place, TeTe! :p

Unfortunately I can't keep him in the garage, it is full of DH's "stuff", tools, etc. I haven't been able to park my car in there for ages.

Last edited:
Geez Carola, I would take him too if I wasn't so far away. That is sad, but bless your heart for doing what you can for him.

Aw, how sad! I have two beagles and an orange tabby cat. Two are rescues. My male beagle, Milo, has seizures and separation anxiety issues. The people who had him before us, kept him kenneled in their basement ALWAYS. I'm a sucker for animals and, if I could, I would take that poor puppy into my home in a hearbeat! Hope you find a loving home for him soon!

A new dog or divorce? I hope your husband does ok out there on his own!

Tehehehehehe!! Funny!

Unfortunately I can't keep him. He is very sweet though. I thought he didn't like kids but he has warmed up to both of my boys, actually follows them everywhere now, licks their hands and their face :)

I took him out for a walk yesterday, he obviously had never been on a leash before but it took him only 20 minutes to figure it out, then he walked nicely, kept looking up at me to check if everything is okay. He also walked very nicely with my 13-year-old DS.

We took him to the vet to check if he has a microchip, of course he didn't.

I ended up giving him a bath, he was FILTHY!! But he did well, it scared the heck out of him but he didn't make a fuss. He had several scars and dried blood on him, either he got in a dog fight while he was out or he was severely abused. Poor baby!

He ended up sleeping in my son's bedroom last night, I just couldn't bring it over myself to keep him outside :eek:What can I say, I am a sucker!!

I wish I could keep him but there is nooooo way, I am already pushing it with 5. I think with a little bit of work he'll make a great family dog, he really wants to please and be part of a family.

Thanks everyone!!

Just want to say Carola that you are so kind for helping this doggie. I'm really touched that you are taking care of him in his time of need. I'm sure you'll be able to place him in a wonderful home.

Amy

Is there any black/purple on his tongue? A lot of chow mixes (a friend of mine has had several) have that.

Carola - Will the local shelters do a courtesy listing for you for this guy on their web sites or Petfinder listings? Our local humane society will do that in situations where they can't take an animal in. It sounds like you're in foster mode. ;)

Sounds like this guy has the potential to be a great family pet. You're a sweety for looking after him.

Oh Carola, I totally relate to your story. You love them all but you just can't keep them all. And there aren't enough people to pick up the slack for all the people who never bothered to neuter their animals. Two un-neutered dogs or cats results in utter wreckage for so many future generations. I say this as someone with 5 cats, 3 others that camp in my downstairs kitchen, and countless strays who come onto my porch. Luckily, anyone I can catch goes to my local Humane Society - hopefully, before I become attached. But there are so many it all becomes a blur after a while. One day, as I was dropping off one of many, I chatted with another woman in line. As usual, I was REALLY talking him up, in hopes someone listening might be interested. I said "He is the sweetest, most loving kitty... so much love to give" and she said "That's the trouble, honey. They're ALL loving and deserving of a better life."

I have to say though, I think you're already a goner on this guy. He's using every trick he can to make you love him - and you already do. Man, he is such a good dog who deserves all the love in the world, but...

Actually, just because he has black on his tongue does not mean he's chow. A lot of breeds can have black spots on their tongues including labs, retrievers, rotts, etc. It's pretty common.

Carola - you're a sweetie for taking care of the boy. I'll bet he's just sooo happy to be clean, fed and being part of a family. He is a cutie. You have fostered before, right? I think he'll find a home quickly. List him on Craigslist and Petfinders. Offer a small adoption fee. Oddly, I'm picking up a foster Aussie tomorrow. So I'll be in the same boat, but I'll only have two. :eek:

I took him out for a walk yesterday, he obviously had never been on a leash before but it took him only 20 minutes to figure it out, then he walked nicely, kept looking up at me to check if everything is okay. He also walked very nicely with my 13-year-old DS.

We took him to the vet to check if he has a microchip, of course he didn't.

I ended up giving him a bath, he was FILTHY!! But he did well, it scared the heck out of him but he didn't make a fuss. He had several scars and dried blood on him, either he got in a dog fight while he was out or he was severely abused. Poor baby!

He ended up sleeping in my son's bedroom last night, I just couldn't bring it over myself to keep him outside :eek:What can I say, I am a sucker!!

Hi Carola!
Any new developments on the doggie? Does "doggie" have a name yet? ;) I'm so happy to hear he is warming up to a family and even letting you give him a bath! So sad that he is scarred up and was bloody though, who knows what the poor little thing went through before ending up on your door step! :( Well, he's clearly in excellent hands now until he finds his forever home.

Did things work out for you with the people you thought might take him?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.