Poll: how many still use their old VHS tapes?

Davidj

Cathlete
I was just wondering, so I throw this out to anybody, whether or not people still use VHS tapes in their excerize programs.

I notice in stores blank VHS tapes are hard to buy, and VHS video recorders are increasingly scarce. I realize there must have been a discussion on this, several years ago, when Cathe and other producers dropped VHS production.

I still use older tapes. This Friday, for example, I will do Cather's very first tape, "Step N Motion" (1990). Next year marks its 20th aniverary! I have used it off and on, and the tape is still in very good condition. Cathe's brashness and good sense of humour were in play way back then. And though this VHS tape made waves for its athleticism and advanced difficulty at the time, the step moves are very doable. But at my older age I have to modify some of the plyometric jumps and weights.

Are people still use VHS videos, are are most of us DVD only?
-- David

My only VHS workout tapes that get regular use are my old Taebo Lives. (I dearly wish all of those would get put on dvds, but that's another subject!) So, that's the reason I still keep a couple of DVD/VCR combos around the house. :)

A lot of my Cathe's are on VHS and I use rhem all the time!!!! I also keep my VCR cleaned so it continues to work. I love Cathe's older stuff and you can't get them on DVD!!!

ellie

I was just wondering, so I throw this out to anybody, whether or not people still use VHS tapes in their excerize programs.

I notice in stores blank VHS tapes are hard to buy, and VHS video recorders are increasingly scarce. I realize there must have been a discussion on this, several years ago, when Cathe and other producers dropped VHS production.

I still use older tapes. This Friday, for example, I will do Cather's very first tape, "Step N Motion" (1990). Next year marks its 20th aniverary! I have used it off and on, and the tape is still in very good condition. Cathe's brashness and good sense of humour were in play way back then. And though this VHS tape made waves for its athleticism and advanced difficulty at the time, the step moves are very doable. But at my older age I have to modify some of the plyometric jumps and weights.

Are people still use VHS videos, are are most of us DVD only?
-- David

Davidj, can you describe the "Step N Motion" workout? You mentioned plyometrics, which is a subject near and dear to my heart. What does the workout consist of?

Thanks!

A-Jock

i still do i have cathe's wedding video and mega step blast which isn't on dvd. i also have denise austin power kickboxing and her stretch and flex vids which are also not on dvd(plus i started video fitness with her so its hard to give up). i also have to sets of tae-bos the get ripped and the total series. i know get ripped is on dvd but i found both of these sets brand new and cheap at goodwill so its hard to start over so i hang on to them. i a few others on vhs as well like some CIA and yoga

kassia

I use my old VHS. Not so much my exercise tapes but the kids movies. To expensive to replace them all w/DVD's. Hope that VCR holds out!!! :confused:

I have a combination VCR/DVD player, so I can still use old VHS if I want to. I am slowly but surely getting to the point where all of my old VHS have been replaced with DVDs though. I rarely use them any more because of this.

I have a couple workouts on VHS that either aren't on DVD (a Jane Fonda) or I don't use enough to buy on DVD (original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey).

Carrie

Like jonahnah, I still have all my TaeBo Live Advanced workouts on VHS, and do use them. I wish they where on DVD also. I still have all my Cathe VHS, but I don't use them because I've replaced alot to DVD.

Laurie

Me!

I have lots of vhs tapes. They aren't from Cathe though. Still, I like them so I won't through them out. Why bother? I have a tape deck built into my tv.

I have a number of the older Firm workouts on VHS (haven't done one in forever). I also have TaeBo Live, but I've been thinking of giving them away. When I look at them now, the quality just isn't there (and Billy Blanks kind of annoys me now).

I have tons of VHS. If I can't replace them with DVD, I keep them. I have Tim Culwell, Kari Anderson, old Cathe VHS tapes, tons of old CIA VHS, Firms that are not on DVD, old joanie greggains tapes, Charlene Prickett, and tons of odds and ends, (remember body art, aaron langford and cory's arms and shoulders?). I will not part with them - and I even purchased two extra VHS machines in case they are no longer sold.
maryann

Plyometrics on "Step N Motion 1"

A-Jock:
I haven't done "Sep N Motion" in about two months, so working from memory, there are two step sectiions -- basic and more advanced -- then a pure plyomentric section (about 10 minutes, with fast running, then fast jumping jacks, then starbursts. and so forth), then a basic weight lifting section at the end (you would want to up the weights: Cathe's crew used 5 lb dbs here). The whole session I think lasts about 50+ minutes. I am doing the session later this week and will post a message over to your site with more exact info.

Having plyometrics in the middle of a step tape shows how way ahead of her time Cathe was. It's a 1990 tape. And as I say, it's a great workout, even 19 years later.

I did a very quick five-minute internet search, and couldn't find it offered. So you would have to go to e-bay or some other place and root a round for a while.

Step in Motion II and III have more advanced step clorography -- mostly precursors to later Cathe stepping.
-- David

A-Jock:
I haven't done "Sep N Motion" in about two months, so working from memory, there are two step sectiions -- basic and more advanced -- then a pure plyomentric section (about 10 minutes, with fast running, then fast jumping jacks, then starbursts. and so forth), then a basic weight lifting section at the end (you would want to up the weights: Cathe's crew used 5 lb dbs here). The whole session I think lasts about 50+ minutes. I am doing the session later this week and will post a message over to your site with more exact info.

Having plyometrics in the middle of a step tape shows how way ahead of her time Cathe was. It's a 1990 tape. And as I say, it's a great workout, even 19 years later.

I did a very quick five-minute internet search, and couldn't find it offered. So you would have to go to e-bay or some other place and root a round for a while.

Step in Motion II and III have more advanced step clorography -- mostly precursors to later Cathe stepping.
-- David

Davidj, thanks for the summary! I'm starting to feel like The History Detective or something!

A-Jock

I still use my vhs and had to get another vhs player to do cardio downstairs, when I can't workout upstairs. (I refuse to drag all that stuff downstairs to do weighted work-that would a workout in itself). I have workouts on both vhs/dvd. Often times I find vhs at thrift shops, Goodwill and garage sales. For example, I found another Cathe Legs/Glutes, to have a back up copy.

I still have many VHS tapes. As a matter of fact, DH and I were saying that we neither buy another VHS machine just in case! :) I would rather not throw out the VHS yet and buy all new DVDs...I guess I am just cheap.

I donated all my VHS to the library. I never used them anymore. the ones I really liked still I bought on dvd but most I didn't miss much. I have a TON on DVD that I like better.

Like jonahnah, I still have all my TaeBo Live Advanced workouts on VHS, and do use them. I wish they where on DVD also. I still have all my Cathe VHS, but I don't use them because I've replaced alot to DVD.

Laurie

Laurie, . . cool avatar, . . .did you make that? I love historical costume.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.