Please post your family dinner menu ideas......

SHELLEY ... thanks for the email!

KRISTI ... can i get your menu too? [email protected]

RENEE et al: every night i have a protein/vegetable/starch. if someone does not like one of the choices (i have 3 kids) they have substitute it with a fruit or vegetable. for example, last night i had t-bone steak/ scalloped potatoes/green beens. the night before was grilled bnls sknls chicken breast/rice pilaf/salad. the night before that was pork chops with sliced apples/broccoli/baked potatoes. i typically plan a week in advance and take the meat from the freezer a day ahead and marinate it the morning of. i grill 5+ days a week.

i do get a few magazines all with recipes (eating well/oxygen/shape/nickJR) and i try to pull ideas for their pages. i also have a cookbook i love called 5 ingredient 15 minute cookbook by cooking light

A great big THANK YOU to Shelley, Kristi, and everyone else who is posting ideas. I'll bet ya didn't know you were in such high demand - lol;-)

One of my favorite meals is just plain ole Campbells Tomato soup with skim milk, grilled cheese sandwiches on 100% wheat bread, fat free cottage cheese, and a tossed salad. Unfortunately it isn't very filling for long, so we usually end up popping popcorn in the evening:eek: It's an easy one to do if ya forget to thaw something the day before.

Thanks again everyone and keep em comin!!

Angie

Shelley and Kristi, can I be a pain too?
[email protected]

If you have time, I appreciate it.
Thank you.
Beth

ETA, I forgot to post something we do as a meal. I am with a previous poster on the meat and two veggie sides. I love to put chicken in the slow cooker with about a jar's worth of some homemade salsa (I use tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, and jalapenos). When its done, its easy to shred and can be put with a fresh salad one night, or sort of sandwichy in one of those tomato wraps with some veggies. I will do a whole crockpots worth and we'll eat on it all week long.

Tonight I steamed some chard and dribbled about a teaspoon of olive oil on it. Also dry sauteed a package of whole mushrooms and finished them off with a little bit - about a Tablespoon - of very, very nice balsamic vinegar. And, finally, I cut up some tomatoes from a client's garden and tossed them with some cracked pepper and some raspberry vinagar. With a glass of wine, of course! I'm trying to do the Eat to Live as much as possible.

Charlotte that sounds so tasty!

Just to let all those who've asked for the cookbook know, I will have to send it on Monday because it's actually on my work computer. Please know I haven't forgotten about you and I'm not ignoring your requests.:)

Hey all - I thought I would try to cut and paste and whaaaalaaaaa...
Maybe you can cut and paste from here to a file. I wanted to bold the main dish, but I didn't know how to do it here. Maybe it can be spruced up more when you put it in a file, but now it will always be in the forum too. I combined 3 documents into one so it's pretty long. Enjoy!!:) Thanks Shelley - hope you don't mind;)

HERBED BEEF STEW
1 ½ lb beef cubes

seasoned flour (1 c. flour, 1 tsp paprika, ¼ tsp pepper)

1 ½ - 2 c. beef broth (eyeball amount so enough liquid)

1 tsp Worcestershire

4-6 carrots sliced (I often use a small bag of baby carrots)

3 large potatoes cubed

1 large onion (small wedges – we love Vidalia for the sweetness)

1 rounded tsp of fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried

1 rounded tsp chopped, fresh basil or ½ tsp dried

1 Tbsp fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried

1 rounded tsp fresh marjoram or 1 tsp dried

-Put meat in slow cooker and toss with seasoned flour

-add remaining ingredients, saving beef broth for last

-mix well & cook on high 4-6 hours or low 10-12

BEEF ROAST

Large beef roast of your choice

Veggies – sliced carrots, potatoes, onions

2 jars Heinz Beef Gravy Sauce – whatever variety you like

-Place roast in crockpot

-Add veggies surrounding roast

-Add jars of sauce

-Cook on Low 10-12 hours

HONEY BARBEQUE CHICKEN AND VEGGIES

2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into thin wedges

1 8oz can pineapple tidbits in juice, undrained

½ c. chicken broth

¼ c. onion chopped in wedges

¼ c. barbeque sauce

2 Tbsp honey

½ tsp. dry mustard

4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes

-Combine sweet potatoes, pineapple with liquid, broth, onion and mix well.

-In small bowl, combine barbeque sauce, honey, and dry mustard; mix well. Coat chicken well with barbeque sauce mixture. Add in chicken and mix well.

-Cook on low setting for approx 7-10 hours or until chicken and potatoes are fork tender and the juices run clear.

CHICKEN IN WINE

4 boneless chicken breasts cut into cubes

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can French Onion soup

1 c. dry white wine OR chicken broth

-Put in chicken in slow cooker

-Combine soups and wine and pour over chicken

-Cook on low 6-8 hours

-serve over rice, pasta, or potatoes (we like egg noodles)

TENDER BEEF ‘N’ BEAN STEW

1 lb lean beef stew meat, cut into 1 in cubes

2 cans (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed & drained

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

1 ½ c frozen corn

1 c hot water

1 c chopped onion

2 celery ribs, chopped

1 can (4 oz) green chilies

2 Tbsp uncooked long grain rice

1-2 Tbsp chili powder

2 tsp beef bouillon granules

1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

shredded cheddar & sour cream (optional)

In a 5 qt slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until beef is tender. Stir in the tomato sauce; cover and cook for 30 min or until heated through. Garnish with cheese and sour cream if desired.

TACO LASAGNA

1 lb ground beef

½ c. chopped green pepper

½ c. chopped onion

2/3 c. water

1 envelope taco seasoning

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained

6 flour tortillas (8 in)

1 can refried beans

3 c. Mexican Cheese Blend (we use lowfat)

In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 2 min. Stir in the black beans and tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 min.

Place 2 tortillas in a greased 13x9 pan. Spread with half of the refried beans and beef mixture ; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortillas and cheese. Cover and bate at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.

BEEF TACO SKILLET

1 lb ground beef

1 can tomato soup

1 jar (16 oz) of Chunky Salsa (we LOVE stop n’ shop store brand, mild)

½ c. water

8 flour tortillas (6 in) cut into 1 in pieces

1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook beef in skillet until browned. Pour off fat. Add soup, salsa, water, tortillas, and half the cheese. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 min or until hot. Top with remaining cheese.

BEEF LASAGNA

1 lb ground beef

“Ricotta†Mixture

-16 oz. cottage cheese (low fat)

-1 egg

-sprinkle w/ oregano, basil

ready to bake noodles

2 regular sized jars of pasta sauce (whatever variety you like – we enjoy Barilla w/ various veggies) - reserve ¼ jar for end

2 bags reduced fat Mozarella cheese.

Brown beef and add in to the pasta sauce in a bowl. Reserve ¼ jar for the end. Set aside “ricotta†mixture in another bowl. Coat 13x9 pan with roughly ¾ c. meat sauce. Place 3 noodles in pan. Coat noodles with approx 2/3 c. “ricotta†mixture. Sprinkle approx 1 c. shredded cheese. Repeat layers 2-3 more times. Top final layer of noodles with remaining meat sauce, cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

*You can replace meat mixture with sautéed vegetable. We have tried zucchini, green pepper, and onion. Sautee in olive oil for approx 5-10 minutes before adding to sauce.

SAVORY CHICKEN DINNER

1 envelope savory herb and garlic soup mix

3 Tbsp water

4 boneless chicken breasts, cubed

2-3 large red potatoes, cubed

1 large onion, cut into small wedges

Add chicken and veggies to a coated 13x9 pan. Add soup mix and water. Mix well. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes at 350.

STOVETOP CHICKEN BAKE

1 can Stove Top Stuffing Mix

4 Boneless chicken breasts

1 can cream of mushroom soup

8 oz sour cream

¼ c. milk

Preheat oven to 375. Cut chicken into cubes. Spray pan with cooking spray and arrange chicken in single layer. Season to taste (Lawry’s & pepper), and place in oven for 5-10 min. In a bowl, combine soup and sour cream, blend. Add milk when well blended. Prepare stuffing according to directions for ¾ can. Cover. Remove chicken from oven, drain. Spread sour cream mixture over chicken, top with stuffing. Bake in oven for 25-30 min or until chicken is done and casserole is bubbly.

PEPPER JACK STUFFED CHICKEN

4 oz Pepper Jack cheese

4 boneless chicken breasts

2 tsp Mexican or Taco seasoning

2 Tbsp veg oil / cooking spray

Cut cheese into 4 long strips. Flatten chicken to ¼ in thickness. Place a strip of cheese down the center of each chicken breast half; fold chicken over cheese and secure with toothpicks. Rub Mexican seasoning over chicken.

In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides. Transfer to a greased baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 for 25-30 min or until chicken juices run clear. Great w/ rice!

PITA PIZZAS

½ lb lean ground beef

6 whole pita breads (6 inches)

1 can refried beans

1 c chunky salsa

½ c shredded Mexican cheese blend

5 Tbsp sour cream

2 green onions sliced

In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread with refried beans; top with beef, salsa, and cheese. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

CRANBERRY CHICKEN SALSA

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

1 Tbsp olive or canola oil

1 jar (16 oz) chunky salsa

1 c dried cranberries

¼ c water

1 Tbsp honey

2 garlic cloves, minced

¾ tsp ground cinnamon

½ tsp ground cumin

2 c hot cooked couscous

¼ c slivered almonds, toasted

In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until browned on both sides. In a small bowl, combine the salsa, cranberries, water, honey, garlic, cinnamon and cumin; mix well. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear. Add toasted almonds. Serve over couscous.

ORANGE LETTUCE SALAD

8 c. salad greens

1 can (15 oz) mandarin oranges

½ c toasted almonds (slivered)

¼ c vegetable oil

2 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp vinegar

½ tsp salt

dash of pepper

Mix ingredients together well!

POTATO SOUP

4 regular size baking potatoes

3 onions

1 ½ quarts water (6 cups)

1 c. half n half

2 Tbsp butter

salt/pepper to taste

4 chicken bouillon cubes

1 lb. cubed ham (we buy a large chunk at deli counter and cube)

Peel and cube potatoes; dice onions. Add potatoes, onion, ham, bouillion cubes in a pot with water. Boil for approx twenty minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add half n half, butter, salt/pepper. Keep warm.

CREAMY WHITE CHILI

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ in cubes

1 medium onion, chopped

1-1 ½ tsp garlic powder

1 Tbsp veg oil

2 can (15.5 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth

2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp dried oregano

½ tsp pepper

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

1 c sour cream

½ c whipping cream.

In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion, and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 min. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Serve immediately.

APPLE CRISP (we double the topping recipe)

5 medium apples (McIntosh are best)

¾ c. brown sugar

½ c. flour

¾ c. rolled oats

½ c. margarine

1 tsp cinnamon

Put apples in buttered pan. Mix sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, and margarine until crumbly. Spread over apples and bake for 35 min at 350.

PEAR UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

1 can (15 oz) Pears in own juice

1/3 c. packed brown sugar

4 Tbsp butter or stick margarine, divided

¼ tsp ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

1 ½ c. all purpose flour

2/3 c. sugar

¾ tsp baking powder

¼ tsp baking soda

1 c. 1% buttermilk

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

Drain pears, reserving 2 Tbsp juice. Pat pears dry. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, 1 Tbsp butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and reserved pear juice. Spread into 9 in round pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cut pear slices in half lengthwise; arrange in a single layer over brown sugar mixture.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, vanilla and remaining butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Spoon over pears. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool for ten minutes before inverting on a serving plate.

STOVETOP SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE DIP WITH CRUSTY BREAD

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (twice around pan)

1 Tbsp butter

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small yellow onion, chopped

2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried

½ small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

2 Tbsp all purpose flour

½ c dry white wine

1 c chicken or veg stock

½ c half-and-half

1 can (15 oz) artichoke hearts in water, coarsely chopped

2 boxes (10 oz each) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry

1 ½ c shredded Italian cheese blend

1 round loaf crusty bread, top removed and cubed, bottom hollowed out to use for serving

1 loaf multigrain or whole wheat baguette sliced at bakery

To a medium saucepan preheated over moderate heat, add about 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a slow stream. Add butter to oil. When butter has melted, add garlic and onions to the pot. Sprinkle in thyme. Saute 2 min; add red pepper. Saute mixture a minute more. Sprinkle in flour, stir to coat veggies. Cook, 1 min. Whisk in wine and reduce by half. Whisk in stock and thicken sauce, 1 min. Stir in half-and-half. When sauce returns to a bubble, add artichokes, spinach, and cheese. Keep stirring until cheese melts and sauce is well combined. Pour dip into hollow bread bowl on serving platter and surround with sliced multi or whole grain bread for dipping. Reserve extra dip to warm and refill as necessary. Cut up bread bowl when baguette slices are gone – the bowl is the best part as it absorbs the juices from the dip.

CHILI MAC

2 lbs ground sirloin

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 sweet onion, chopped

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped

3 Tbsp dark chili powder

2 Tbsp cumin

2 Tbsp cayenne pepper sauce

1 c beef broth

1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes in juice

1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes

1 lb corkscrew pasta, cooked to al dente and drained

chopped scallion for garnish

In a big, deep ot, brown beef in oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic. Season meat mixture with chili powder, cumin, cayenne. Cook together 5 min, stir in broth and reduce liquid by half, 2 min. Stir in tomatoes and simmer. Add hot pasta to chili pot and stir to coat pasta evenly. Remove from heat and garnish big bowlfuls of chili mac with chopped scallions.

SUPER NACHOS

2 bags corn tortilla chips 2 colors or different flavors, such as blue corn, red corn, yellow corn, lime flavored, or black bean chips. Pick 2 favorites.

Pico de Gallo Salsa

4 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped

1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, for medium to hot heat level

1 small white onion, chopped

¼ c cilantro leaves or parsley, finely chopped

Beef & Bean Topping

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded and chopped

1 lb ground sirloin

1 & ½ tsp dark chili powder

1 & ½ tsp cumin

2 tsp to 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper sauce

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained

Cheese Sauce

2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp flour

2 c milk

2 & ½ c (about ¾ lb) pepper jack cheese, shredded

Arrange a mixture of 2 varieties of corn chips on a very large platter, or use your broiler pan as a platter. Combine salsa ingredients in a bowl and set aside for flavors to blend.

Make the beef and bean topping: Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, garlic, onion, and jalapeno to the pan and saute, 2 min; add meat and crumble with a wooden spoon. Season meat with chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper sauce. Cook meat 5 min, then stir in beans and reduce heat to low.

Make the cheese sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add flour to it. Cook flour and butter a minute or 2 over moderate heat, then whisk in milk. When milk comes to a bubble, stir in cheese with a wooden spoon. Remove cheese sauce from the heat. Pour cheese sauce evenly over the chips and top evenly with bean and beans and the Pico de Gallo salsa.

ITALIAN STYLE MAC ‘N’ CHEESE

1 lb ziti, penne rigate, or cavatappi

1 lb Italian bulk sweet sausage

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 Tbsp butter

3 or 4 cloves of garlic

12 cremini mushrooms, sliced

2 Tbsp flour

1 c chicken stock

1 c heavy cream

2 & ½ c shredded Italian 4 cheese blend

1 can diced tomatoes, well drained

1 tsp hot sauce

½ c Parmesan cheese

Heat a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta to just al dente, about 8 minutes. In a nonstick sillet, brown and crumble the sausage. Drain cooked crumbles on a towel-lined plate. Return pan to heat and add oil, butter, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute 3 to 5 minutes, until mushrooms are lightly golden.

Preheat broiler to high.

To mushrooms, add flour and stir, cooking 2 min. Whisk in stock, then stir in cream. Bring cream to a bubble, then stir in 2 c of 4 cheese blend. When cheese has melted into sauce, add tomatoes. When sauce comes to a bubble, remove from heat and adjust seasonings, adding hot sauce is desired.

Combine cheese sauce with sausage and pasta, transfer to a baking dish, casserole, or ovenproof serving platter. Sprinkle remaining ½ c cheese blend and the grated Parmesan over the top and brown under hot broiler.

TURKEY CUTLETS W/CORN, SAGE & PROSCIUTTO STUFFING

Turkey

2 lbs turkey breast cutlets (2 pkg – 12 pieces)

2 tsp poultry seasoning

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp all purpose flour

2 c chicken broth

Stuffing

2 Tbsp butter

3 stalks celery from the heart, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

2 tsp poultry seasoning

4 sprigs fresh sage, chopped (2 Tbsp)

2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

¼ lb prosciutto, deli sliced like bacon, then chopped

3 corn muffins, crumbled

1 c chicken broth

Prepare turkey & gravy: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Season turkey with poultry seasoning. Add 1 ½ Tbsp oil. Brown 6 cutlets, 2 minutes on each side, remove to a plate and repeat with remaining pieces of turkey. Add butter to the pan. When it has melted, whisk in flour and cook a minute. Whisk in broth and bring up to a bubble. Reduce heat to a simmer and slide turkey back into pan to finish cooking in gravy.

Make the stuffing: To a second skillet over medium high heat, combine oil and butter. When butter has melted into oil, add celery and onions and season with poultry seasoning. Saute 5 min, until just tender. Add sage, parsley, and prosciutto and stir to combine. Crumble muffins into the pan. Moisten stuffing with broth and heat through. Remove from heat. Cover with foil to keep warm.

When everything is ready, use an ice cream scoop to mound stuffing on a plate and top with 2 cutlets each and a small ladleful of gravy.

SUPER SLOPPY JOES

1 & ½ lb ground beef sirloin

¼ c brown sugar

2 to 2 ½ tsp steak seasoning blend

1 medium onion, chopped

1 small red bell pepper, chopped

1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

1Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 c tomato sauce

2 Tbsp tomato paste

4 crusty rolls, split, toasted

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and beef to the pan, spreading it around the pan to break it up. Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning, then add the mixture to the skillet and combine. When the meat has browned, add onion and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 min. Add vinegar, stirring briefly to reduce, then add Worcestershire, tomato sauce, and paste, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook sloppy joe mixture 5 min longer.

Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile sloppy meat onto toasted bun bottoms and cover with bun tops.

DEVILED POTATO SALAD

2 ½ lbs all purpose potatoes

¼ medium onion

3 Tbsp prepared yellow salsa

½ c mayo

1 tsp sweet paprika

1 tsp hot cayenne pepper sauce

2 scallions thinly sliced for garnish

Boil potatoes until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return cooked potatoes to the warm pot to dry them out. Let the potatoes stand 2 min, then spread them out on a cookie sheet to quick cool them.

In the bottom of a medium mixing bowl, grate onion using a hand grater. Add mustard and mayo, paprika, and cayenne pepper sauce to the grated onion and stir to combine. Add potatoes to the bowl and evenly distribute dressing. Top with chopped scallion.

PIZZA WITH CHICKEN, SUNDRIED TOMATOES AND BROCCOLI

1 pkg (16 oz) pizza dough

2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Toppings

1/3 lb broccoli (about 1/3 head)

3 cloves garlic, cracked

1/3 lb chicken breast or chicken tenders

1 c part skim ricotta cheese (we use cottage cheese & love it)

10 sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced

1 c shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 500.

On a 12 in nonstick pizza pan, stretch out your dough and form the pizza crust. Drizzle 2 tsp oil onto crust and spread it with a pastry brush to the edges. Sprinkle crust with grated Parmesan cheese.

In a small covered saucepan, brin 2 in water to a boil. Separate broccoli tops into florets, discarding lower stalks or reserve for soup. Cook covered 3 to 5 minutes. Drain broccoli, set on cutting board and chop florets into small pieces.

Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, garlic, and chicken. Brown chicken until lightly golden, 5 min. Transfer sauteed chicen and garlic to a cutting board, and chop broccoli bits, garlic and chicken. Add spoonfuls of ricotta/cottage cheese throughout and spread gently with the back of your spoon. Add sliced sun dried tomatoes, scattering them around the pizza to the edges. Complete the assembly with a thin layer of shredded mozzarella, about 1 cup. Place pizza in oven on middle rack and lower heat to 450. Bake 10-12 min, until cheese is deeply golden and crust is brown and crisp at the edges. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes.

COOKIE SALAD

Keebler fudge stripe cookies--broken up

Mix together:

2 boxes vanilla instant pudding

2 cups buttermilk

Then Add:

Sm. cool whip

1 lg can mandarin oranges (drained)

1 can pineapple tidbits (drained)

Refrigerate. You might want to wait until closer to you serve this to add the cookies or they will get mushy.

THREE BEAN SALAD (yields 10 servings)

2 Cups Drained Cooked Chick Peas
2 Cups Drained Cooked Red Kidney Beans
2 Cups Cooked Green Beans (cut into 1 inch lengths)
½ Cup Julienned Red Onions
½ Cup Sliced Black Olives
¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
¼ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
Salt to Taste

Combine beans, onions, and olives in a large bowl.

In separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour over beans and vegetables. Toss gently.

Cover and marinate in refrigerator several hours or overnight.

I usually don't put in the olives and olive oil with no detrimental effect.

CHOCOLATE COMA PIE

12 oz package soft, firm, or extra firm silken tofu
12 oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Graham Cracker crust
Optional: Add 8-10 ounces Raspberry or Seedless Strawberry Polaner All Fruit Preserves

Puree tofu in a blender or food processor.

In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat.

Add melted chocolate to tofu and blend until smooth.

If desired add all fruit preserves.

Pour into ready-made graham cracker pie crust and chill at least 4 hours

HEAVENLY CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

1 Cup Molasses
1 Cup Soy Milk (divided)
2 Cups Non-Dairy Dark Chocolate Chips
1 Large Banana Mashed
¼ Cup Apple Sauce
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2 Cups Unbleached White Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine molasses, ½ cup soy milk, and chips in a small pan.
Heat on low, stirring occasionally, until chips melt.
Remove from mixture and add vanilla, cornstarch mashed banana, apple sauce and stir.
Add flour, baking soda and remaining soy milk.
Mix ingredients well.

Lightly oil muffin cups and divide batter among them, filling each cup about half full.

Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees. This could take longer so check for "doneness" by inserting toothpick. When toothpick comes out clean, they are done!

Cool cupcakes before removing from tins.

STRAWBERRY DESSERT

CRUST:

3 Sticks Butter

3 Cup Flour

6 Tbs. Sugar

Mix and pat into a 11 X 16 pan. (I used an 11 X 17) Bake 375* for 15 minutes until lightly browned.

Mix 8 oz. Cream Cheese, 1/2 - 3/4 C Powdered Sugar (I never measure, just guessing) and enough milk to make it a spreadable consistency.

Spread on crust after crust cools.

While crust is cooling, make filling:

1 1/2 C. Sugar

1 1/2 C. Water

1/4 C. Corn Starch Cook & boil until clear, remove from heat and add:

1 Small box of sugar-free strawberry Jello. Stir well. Cool in fridge until cool but not set.

Clean and slice 2 quarts of strawberries and layer over top of cream cheese mixture. (I reserve 3 or 4 to decorate the top.) Pour the Strawberry Jello filling over the strawberries and refrigerate until set. Spread a large container of Cool Whip over the top and garnish with leftover strawberries. ENJOY!!!!

MEXICAN LASAGNA

1 ½ lbs. Ground Beef

¾ C. Chopped Onion

1-16 oz. Can refried bean

2 Tsp. Oregano

1 Tsp. Cumin

¾ Tsp. Garlic salt

12 Lasagna Noodles, UNCOOKED (I use the whole box)

2 ½ C. Picante Sauce

2 ½ C. Water

Sliced Black Olives ( I add these but they were not on original recipe)

Shredded Cheese (they now have Mexican blends in stores)

Brown ground beef & onions; add spices & refried beans. Mix well, adding just enough water to give it a smooth consistency, about 1/4 C. Layer the noodles & bean mixture. Mix picante sauce & water together & pour over noodles. Cover with foil & bake at 350* for about 1 ½ hours. During the last 10 minutes of baking, top with shredded cheese. (I usually put cheese in-between the noodle layers also. Sometimes, I add a sprinkle of taco seasoning to bean mixture & leave out garlic salt.) When serving, add sliced black olives, chopped tomatoes & sour cream on top! Yummmy! ENJOY!

CHILI CON QUESO DIP

2 Lbs. Ground Beef

2 Lbs. Velveeta Cheese

2 Cans Tomato Soup

2 Cans Cream of Mushroom (U will not taste this!)

½ Pack of Taco Seasoning

1 Small Can of Chopped Green Chilies

Brown ground beef, drain then and throw it in a crockpot. Add rest of ingredients until cheese is melted. Serve with nacho chips, Doritos, Fritos or favorite chip. Good for veggie dip also. ENJOY!

SALSA CHICKEN

Skinless boneless chicken breasts
Taco seasoning
Favorite salsa (we use fresh salsa)
Cooking spray

Spray casserole dish with cooking spray. Smother chicken with taco seasoning and place in dish. Cover with salsa. Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until chicken is done.

You can eat this with rice, add to tortillas or anything else you can imagine.

Quick change that tastes really good too is to add a can of refried beans over the chicken before the salsa, then add the salsa...makes the sauce really yummy!

GUMDROP COOKIES

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. oatmeal
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1 c. cut-up gumdrops

Cream shortening and sugars. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Sift dry ingredients together; add to creamed mixture. Mix a little flour into the cut-up gumdrops to keep them from sticking together. Add oatmeal, nuts, and gumdrops to batter. Roll dough into 1" balls; flatten with a fork dipped in milk. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 10 min.

COWBOY COOKIES

These are my mother-in-law’s and they are death to the diet!!!

1 c. margarine

½ tsp. salt
1 c. white sugar

½ tsp. baking powder
1 c. brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

2 c. uncooked oatmeal
2 c. plain flour

1 pkg (6oz) miniature chocolate bits
1 tsp. Soda

1 c. finely chopped nuts

Stir small amount of flour into nuts. Cream together margarine, sugar, and eggs. Add flour sifted with soda, salt, and baking powder. Add vanilla and oatmeal. Mix well; then add chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by tsp. onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven about 10 mins.

This recipe is best when mixed together and let set in refrigerator overnight and baked next day. Yield – 8 doz.

NEIMAN MARCUS COOKIES (recipe may be halved)

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal (first measure oatmeal then blend to a fine
powder)
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 - 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated) (I use dark chocolate)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups chopped nuts (we like pecans best). (I make some without nuts because some just like a plain, old-fashioned chocolate chip cookie)

Cream the butter and both sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla, and then mix together with flour, blended oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. ( I do flatten them a bit after they're rolled - like with a fork or something)

Bake for 10 minutes at 375. Makes 112 cookies!!

BUCKEYE CANDY

2 lb. creamy peanut butter (room temperature)
1 lb. butter (room temperature)
3 lb. confectioners sugar
2 pkg. (12 oz. size) chocolate chips
1/2 bar paraffin

* Mix peanut butter and butter together with confectioners sugar until smooth texture develops.

* Form small balls the size of "Buckeyes" (about 1") and refrigerate for about an hour.

* Next, melt slowly the chocolate chips and paraffin together in a heavy saucepan.

* Using a toothpick, dip cold Buckeyes into chocolate until 2/3 covered. Let dry on waxed paper. Touch up the toothpick hole. Can be frozen.

Makes about 175 candies

CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER BALLS

1 cup peanut butter*
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
1-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 teaspoons shortening

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter and marshmallow creme; add cereal and stir until well coated. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until chips are melted; stir until smooth.

Roll cereal mixture into 1-in. balls; dip in chocolate. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan. Refrigerate until set.

Yield: 2 ½ dozen.

Editor's Note: Reduced-fat or generic brands of peanut butter are not recommended for this recipe.

SKOR COOKIES

1 Can of Sweetened condensed milk
1 Box of Ritz crackers
1 Bag of Skor bits
1 Bag of milk choc chip

Crush ritz crackers while still in the bag. Mix crackers and milk together in bowl. Mix in 3/4 bag of Skor bits. Press into glass dish (9x9) and bake at 350 F till top is lightly brown. Take out of oven and pour milk choc on top, let melt a bit and then spread out. Sprinkle remaining Skor bits on top. Cool.

HAYSTACKS (almost need two people for this one)

4 Toffee bar (hard toffee, no choc) Mackintosh toffee is the best
1 Can of sweetened condensed milk (of course)
1 Bag of marshmallows (the big ones)
¼ cup butter
Special K or Christmas Rice Krispies

Melt bars, butter and milk on low heat. While waiting ,cut marshmallows in 1/2. Pour 3-4 c of Rice Krispies in a bowl.

When mixture is melted remove from heat but as it thickens you can return to stove just to thin it out again.

Roll marshmallows into caramel mixture (one at a time), then roll in cereal. You can have one person doing each. You can also stick each marshmallow with a toothpick before hand and remove the toothpick when cookie is frozen.

These are best frozen b/c the cereal does not go soft

PEANUT BUTTER DREAM COOKIES

Sift together:

1 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

Set aside

Cream together:

½ cup shortening
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Then add dry ingredients and mix well. Shape into balls and roll into sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and push Hersheys kiss into cookie then bake for another 2 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

PINEAPPLE COOKIES

1 can crushed pineapple (drained)

Sift and set aside:

3 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Cream thoroughly:

½ cup soft butter or oleo
1 ½ cups sugar
Add 2 eggs and 1 tsp almond extract

Add flour mixture and pineapple. Mix well.

Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

WEDDING CAKES

1 stick oleo
5 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup plain flour
1 cup nuts

Combine and make into balls.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes

Cool and roll in powdered sugar.

TOFFEE

1 lb butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups ground almonds
3 T water
2 large Hershey's chocolate bars

Add 1 lb butter to 2 cups sugar. Melt slowly in heavy pan, STIRRING CONSTANTLY. Add 3 T water. Cook to 250 degrees. Add 1 cup of almonds. Cook to 300 degrees again, stirring constantly. Pour onto greased cookie sheet. Melt the 2 Hershey's chocolate bars,pour over toffee and spread. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of almonds over chocolate. Cool and break into small pieces.

ORANGE DROP COOKIES

1 ½ C sugar
1 C butter
1 tsp baking powder
4 ½ C flour
2 eggs
1 C orange juice
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp orange zest

Cream sugar, eggs, butter and orange zest. Mix dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Drop from tsp onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

When the cookies have cooled frost with powdered sugar frosting using orange juice as liquid and orange extract instead of vanilla.

(This is a recipe that my mother has made ever since I can remember and the frosting recipe is as detailed as what she told me. I use about 2 cups of confectioner's sugar and add small amounts of the OJ until it's of spreading consistency. Sort of like a glaze.)

ALMOND BUTTER STICKS

1 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 ¼ cup flour
2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt
1 ½ cup sugar
4 ½ t. almond extract

Combine all ingredients except the sugar and almond extract. Blend until dough forms. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. Roll out, ½ of dough at a time, on a floured surface, to a 14 x 8 inch rectangle. Combine sugar and almond extract. Sprinkle each rectangle with 3 to 4 T. of sugar mixture. For each rectangle, fold one end of dough over to make 3 layers. Turn 1/4 way around. Repeat rolling and folding 2 more times, sprinkling with 3 - 4 T. of sugar mixture each time. Roll out again to 14 x 8 inches. Cut into 3 x 1 1/2 in strips. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 400F for 8 - 10 min. Remove from sheet immediately and cool.

WALNUT FROSTIES

Dough:
2 cups flour
½ t baking soda
¼ t. salt
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter softened
1 egg
1 t. vanilla

Topping:
1 cup chopped walnuts
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sour cream

Blend dough ingredients well. Shape into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Make depression in center.

Combine topping and place about 1 t. in each cookie. Bake at 350F for 12 - 14 min. until delicately browned.

CHEESE OLIVE BALLS (technically called “Cheese Puffsâ€)

Drain and THOROUGHLY DRY approx. 48 green olives

Blend 2 c. grated sharp cheese and 1/2 c. soft butter or margarine

Stir in 1 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. Paprika

Wrap 1 tsp. of dough around each olive

Freeze till firm

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 min. Don't thaw first. Serve hot

CHOCOLATE COCONUT DROPS

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 ½ squares unsweetened chocolate

Pinch of salt

3 c. shredded coconut

½ tsp. vanilla

Put milk, chocolate, and salt in a saucepan and heat slowly over low heat, stirring frequently until thick. Remove from heat. Add coconut and vanilla. Mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a well greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until brown. Remove from pan at once. If cookies spread during baking, push them together again when they are removed from the baking sheet.

HOT CRANBERRY PUNCH

8 cups hot water

1 ½ cups sugar

4 cups cranberry juice (cocktail okay)

¾ cup orange juice

¼ cup lemon juice

12 whole cloves

½ cup red-hot candies

In a 5-qt slow cooker, combine water, sugar and juices; stir until sugar is dissolved.
If desired, place cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag (or use a tea strainer). Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through. Before serving, discard spice bag and stir punch.

INDOOR S’MORES

8 cups Golden Grahams Cereal (1 13 ounce box)

1 ½ cups Nestle' Toll House Milk Chocolate Morsels

6 cups miniature marshmallows (1 10 ounce bag)

5 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 teaspoon vanilla

¼ cup light corn syrup

Melt 5 cups marshmallows (save 1 cup for later), Nestle Toll House Morsels, butter and corn syrup in 3 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Butter 13"x9"x2" pan.

Pour Golden Grahams cereal into a large bowl. Pour marshmallow mixture over cereal; stir until evenly coated. Stir in remaining marshmallows.

Press mixture into pan with buttered back of spoon. Cool at least 1 hour or until firm. Cut into 24 bars.

MERINGUE KISSES
4 egg whites at room temperature

1 c. sugar

½ c. chocolate chips or chopped nuts, optional

Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar. Beat until very stiff. Fold in chocolate chips or nuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. The oven MUST be preheated to 375 degrees. Turn the oven OFF immediately when you put the cookie sheets in. Leave in oven at least 1 1/2 hours or until dry-- 4-5 hours. Makes 5 doz. cookies.

PEANUT BUTTER CUP COOKIES

½ c. margarine

½ c. sugar

½ c. firmly packed light brown sugar

½ c. creamy or chunky peanut butter

1 egg

½ tsp. vanilla

1 ¼ c. flour

¾ tsp. baking soda

¼ tsp. salt

28-oz. pkg. peanut butter cups (~48)

Beat margarine, sugars, and peanut butter until smooth and creamy. Mix in

egg and vanilla until blended. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix on

low speed for 1 minute. Spoon 1" mounds of dough into ungreased 1 1/2"

muffin cups that are 3/4" deep. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or

until lightly browned. Remove papers from peanut butter cups. Remove muffin

tins from oven and immediately press a peanut butter cup in the center of

dough until only the top shows. Cool 10 minutes and remove from tins by

inserting the tip of a sharp knife into one edge. Cool completely.

PEPPERMINT BALLS

½ cup butter

¾ cup powdered sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp peppermint extract

1 ½ cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

½ cup sugar

½ cup crushed peppermint candy

Cream butter, add sugars gradually. Beat in egg and extracts. Add flour and

baking powder. Fold in candy. Form into balls and roll in sugar. Bake on

ungreased cookie sheets at 350 degrees for about 10 min. Remove from pan and

cool well. Decorate with pink confectionary frosting and add additional

peppermint candy.

HAYSTACKS

1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup PB
1/2 cup peanuts
2 cups chow mein noodles

Microwave butterscotch chips and PB on 50% power for 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and blend to coad noddles thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. They will set up and harden. Store in airtight container.

FORGOTTEN COOKIES

2 egg whites
100 grams of sugar
100 grams of coarsely ground nuts (can be omitted)
100 grams of dark chocolate (preferably at least 72%)-I use more. Love chocolate. Also coarsely grind it. I use a coffee grinder for both the nuts and the chocolate

1. Preheat oven to 225C
2. Line baking sheet
3. Beat egg whites till stiff (approx. 5min)
4. When stiff add sugar a little at a time (approx. another 5min)
5. When all sugar is gone, turn bowl upside down. If it doesn't fall out, you've done a great job!
6. Fold in the ground nuts and chocolate
7. Make little heaps with two spoons on baking sheet
8. Shove in the oven (I usually do two sheets at once and put one a little above the middle of the oven and one just below
9. Turn oven off and go to bed
10 When awake the next morning, make coffee, take cookies out and enjoy.

SPRITZ

1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400. In large bowl, beat powdered sugar, margarine, vanilla and egg until light and fluffy. Stir in flour and salt; blend well. Fit cookie press with desired plate/design. Fill cookie press; press dough unto ungreased cookie sheets.

Take an egg white, add a little water and beat it. The take a pastry brush and **lightly** brush egg white mixture over the pressed cookie dough. Then sprinkle with desired decorations. Place in the oven.

Bake at 400 for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely. Makes 5 dozen.

ENGLISH TOFFEE BALLS

½ c powdered sugar (plus more for dipping cookies)
1 c butter, softened
3 ½ oz pkg vanilla instant pudding
2 c flour
1 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 (3/4 oz) chocolate coated English Toffee bars, crushed (you can also buy the chocolate coated toffee bits and use about a cup)

Heat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl, cream powdered sugar, butter, and pudding mix. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir flour, milk, vanilla, and crushed toffee bars into creamed mixture; mix well. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet (non-stick OK). Bake at 325 degrees for 13-18 min or until edges are light golden brown. Cool. Dip top of cookies in powdered sugar.

Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

CHOCOLATE SANDWICH COOKIES

Cookie:

1 package Devil's Food Cake Mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Icing:

½ package (4oz.) cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
½ tsp. vanilla

In a mixing bowl beat cake mix, eggs and oil. Roll into 1 inch balls, place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake at 350*F for 8-10 mins. Cool.

In another mixing bowl beat cream cheese and margarine. Add sugar and vanilla; mix until smooth. Spread on bottom of half of the cookies, top with remaining cookies

BOOZE BALLS

Yield: about 4 1/2 dozen 1-inch balls
Prep time: 1 hour

Ingredients
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
20 chocolate wafer cookies (about half a 9-ounce box)
½ cup finely chopped pitted prunes (about 15 prunes)
½ cup confectioners' sugar
¼ cup bourbon or 1/3 to 1/2 cup brandy
¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
¼ cup granulated sugar, or colored decorating sugars, for garnish

Put chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium power for a minute. Stir and repeat until the chocolate melts, about 3 minutes total depending on the power of your microwave. Next, put the melted chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan filled with one inch or so of water to a very slow simmer; set the bowl on the pan (without touching the water). Stir occasionally until melted and smooth.

Process the wafer cookies in a food processor until finely ground (you should have about 1 ½ cups ground cookies). Alternatively, put cookies inside a heavy resealable plastic bag and crush by moving a rolling pin over the cookies.

Stir the cookie crumbs, pitted prunes, confectioners' sugar, bourbon or brandy, and condensed milk into the chocolate until evenly combined.

Cover and refrigerate the mixture until firm enough to roll into balls, about 45 minutes. Scoop a tablespoon or so of the mixture with a cookie or small ice cream scoop, roll each portion by hand into a smooth ball, and set onto a baking sheet or large plate.

Store booze balls in an airtight container at room temperature for a day to allow the flavors to come together. Store balls in the refrigerator for a week or freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, put the sugar on a plate and roll the balls in it to coat. Serve at room temperature.

OREO CHOCOLATE BALLS

1 pkg oreos
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
melting chocolate

Make oreos into crumbs using a food processor, then blend in cream cheese.
Roll into balls and place in fridge for 30 - 60 minutes until hard.

Melt chocolate and dip balls (using toothpick like device) into chocolate... refrigerate to harden.

Editing: Someone suggested using bark chocolate instead of bakers chocolate b/c it clings to the cookie better

SOFT AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIPS

1 ¼ cups sugar
1 ¼ cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 ½ cups margarine or butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
4 ¼ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 to 2 (12 oz) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I usually only use one bag unless I'm doubling and I've used milk choc chips too - you can't go wrong.)

Heat oven to 375. In a large bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; blend well. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Makes 6 dozen.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.