please help ? sts

debls

Cathlete
I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge and buying the entire set of the STS workouts.

Do all of you use a weighted bench, weighted gloves, slanted risers, pull up bar tower? I am sure I will need these things if I want to do the workouts and get the full benefit of the workouts.

When I was reading avout the STS workouts it says use a pull up bar or tubing. If I buy a tower does it come with the bars that go across that I would do the pull ups on? Did everyone buy them here.

I thought the workouts were spendy but it is for my health. It sure requires a lot of extra equipment.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Deb

I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge and buying the entire set of the STS workouts.

Its a fantastic investment! Very versatile to use in different ways after your first round!

Do all of you use a weighted bench, weighted gloves, slanted risers, pull up bar tower? I am sure I will need these things if I want to do the workouts and get the full benefit of the workouts.

I use Bench, gloves, NO SLANTED RISERS NEEDED if your bench can adjust angles, Power Tower .... I didnt receive the Power Tower in time for my first STS round so I used Cathes Red Door Bands - that was the heaviest I could find on the market. If you're new to pull ups its fine for your first round.

I use all this equipment regardless if I'm lifting w/ STS or another DVD or on my own. All are very basic pieces of equipment that a lifetime exerciser will use.

If financially you can I do suggest the Power Tower because it is GREATLY helpful in Meso 2 & 3 Chest work...It can hold your loaded Barbell - for shoulder safety I didnt lift as heavy I as wanted/could/needed because I wouldnt hoist the BB up on my own...I am doing round 2 now and am anxious to use it.

When I was reading avout the STS workouts it says use a pull up bar or tubing. If I buy a tower does it come with the bars that go across that I would do the pull ups on? Did everyone buy them here.

Yes I bought the Cathe Power Tower (see above)... Its used (can be used) for Pull Ups / Chin Ups / BB Rack and people are using it also as a Push Up bar. VERSATILE!

I thought the workouts were spendy but it is for my health. It sure requires a lot of extra equipment.
Extra equipment isnt a necessity! If I only had Dumbbells in varying wt ranges I would have still gotten my monies worth.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Deb[/quote]

Last edited:
I used my step as my weight bench. I didn't have Cathe's tower. I bought a pullup bar from Walmart for less than $10. I didn't have weighted gloves but had some 1-lb wrist weights that I used to add extra weights as needed. I also got a 12-lb weighted vest (about $30 at Walmart). Others have also used ankle weights hooked together to add extra weights for lower body workouts.

If you've done weight training in the past you probably already have some of this equipment. You do need a variety of dumbbells. If you do the 1RM tests, it will give you an idea of what size dumbbells you need. I did use my barbell, but there are people who have done STS without barbells.

STS was the best investment I've made and I loved every workout. You're right that your health is worth the expense!

I have been lifting weights for a long time and I think I pushed myself the hardest with sts. I can not stress enough how effective and worth every penny it is.

As far as equipment, I already had a weider squat rack. I think it really would help to purchase something like that and the power tower is probably a good buy for someone with limited space. I have not priced it so I can not compare that with what I have. Sometime I wish I did have something smaller like the power tower so I could increase my space in my workout area.

I do believe if you are new to lifting the pullup band system that Cathe has would be fine too. If you really want to get started there are many ways to modify the workouts and still reap excellent benefits!

Keep everyone posted on what you decide.

Rachel

I have been lifting weights for a long time and I think I pushed myself the hardest with sts. I can not stress enough how effective and worth every penny it is.

As far as equipment, I already had a weider squat rack. I think it really would help to purchase something like that and the power tower is probably a good buy for someone with limited space. I have not priced it so I can not compare that with what I have. Sometime I wish I did have something smaller like the power tower so I could increase my space in my workout area.

I do believe if you are new to lifting the pullup band system that Cathe has would be fine too. If you really want to get started there are many ways to modify the workouts and still reap excellent benefits!

Keep everyone posted on what you decide.

Rachel

I have a bunch of Cathe's other DVD's but I hadn't made the jump to STS yet because I thought I needed a ton of different equipment for it. The highest dumbbell and barbell weight I have are 15 lbs. I have limited space so I can't have a lot of equipment around. But from what all of you are saying, STS will still be doable even with limited equipment. I may need to reconsider purchasing this if this is the case. :)

Kali,

I'm exactly the same way. I live in a small condo and work out in my living room and I don't want people to see exercise equipment everywhere. I bought the STS and I use it the best way I can (No doors in my living room for pullups, no open wall space for ball squats, no rack for heavy barbell lifting, etc). I'm really not even following the 1rm (don't really understand it), but let me tell you, with the limited equipment, it's still an excellent workout!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.