Plateau!!.. and am arm question..

millalyte86

Cathlete
Hi everyone! Well I start my wedding weight loss journey back in January and have gone from 186 lbs. to 159 lbs :D. Yay! My goal is 153 lbs. For my height and frame thats a good weight for me.

Anyway I can't seem to lose these last 6 lbs!! I eat clean and workout. I just want these last few off already! Any suggestions?

Also, I'm having trouble with my arms. I lift pretty heavy usually trying to turn my arm fat into "Jillian Michaels arms" lol but it doesn't seem to be happening. My arms look AWESOME when I'm working out or flexing, but other then that I feel like you can't see the definition. I know I gotta lose more of the fat on top of the muscle in order for that to happen, however I've been losing weight and my arms aren't looking any more cut. I've tried to do more endurance type upper body workouts and while I lose weight, my arms aren't looking any different. Anyone have any suggestions about this? It's really bugging me!

Thanks!!

-Lauren

Congrats on getting married! When's the big day? :D

As far as arm muscle goes, I know exactly what you mean because I have the same issue. And though I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because those shapeless arms are severely genetic :rolleyes: , there are a few things that I've noticed that help.

Here's what works for me:

For one, LIFT HEAVY. Don't get me wrong, I do some endurance type workouts, but when it comes to my arms, if I stay in that type of rotation for too long, it does more harm than good. If I want to keep on in an endurance training capacity, then I still add in another heavy lifting arm day at some point in the week (or at least a heavy shoulder workout). Which brings me to my next point. W/arms like ours (or really, any arms in my opinion - but especially ours :p), it's crucial to do enough good shoulder work. The shoulders is what makes the arm "pop." It's also what gives the illusion of the tiny waistline, so do not ignore those delts! Start paying close attention to women that you think have nice arms, and you will realize that it's those shoulders that call your attention to the arms!

So what I'm doing when I'm trying to get in shape for an event is this: hit the shoulders and hit 'em hard, and heavy (w/good form!). I do this at least once/wk (sometimes twice), and then a lighter workout at some other point during the week. The same way that most of us women feel the need to pound our legs into oblivion by working them multiple times/wk, this is the way I focus on shoulders. At least 2x's/wk : 1 heavy and 1 light workout (possibly band work). IDK if you have 4DS or CTX but they both are my go to shoulder workouts because they are short enough to be added in on cardio days or by themselves whenever you can think to do them.

The other thing that I focus on is eating, and w/everyone this is a little different. Take this time to begin to place close attention to how your muscles are reacting to certain ways of eating. After each meal check out your muscles. Eat more protein see how your muscles react. Do they get harder, go flat, or get soft depending on your carb intake? For me, I try to stay higher on the protein end of the protein/carb ratio, but if I notice my muscles getting flatter, then I know it's time to carb up. The carbs give my muscles that same "pump" that you get when lifting, but if I go overboard, everything gets mushy and soft.

And last, as the big day approaches, increase your water intake to flush any remaining water, and also (if you still have your sanity and can squeeze it in :eek: ) on the big day, try to get in a quick muscle "pump" session shortly before heading out to be "seen", lol. Focus your attention on whatever muscles will be showing, so that you can get that same look that you see in the mirror when you're working out. (i.e. for arms, do as many pushups as you can possibly do, as many dips as possible, and maybe some quick band work - lat pull-downs, bicep curls, shoulder raises,etc). This does not have to be a full blown workout, but just enough to pull some water into the muscles and give you that "pop" that you love ;)

Kikster - great advice! I totally agree with the shoulder workout. That's what really sticks out and makes everything look great. I know if I "feel fat" that if I still want to appear looking good to do my shoulder workout.

Lauren - congrats on your weight loss - weddings are a great goal! I'm sure you look great. One last hint about arms that make them look nice is doing the band pull with arms bent at your side and pulling to work your rear delts. Makes the biceps pop too!

Enjoy your day!!!
:D

Best for arm definition

Hi everyone! Well I start my wedding weight loss journey back in January and have gone from 186 lbs. to 159 lbs :D. Yay! My goal is 153 lbs. For my height and frame thats a good weight for me.

Anyway I can't seem to lose these last 6 lbs!! I eat clean and workout. I just want these last few off already! Any suggestions?

Also, I'm having trouble with my arms. I lift pretty heavy usually trying to turn my arm fat into "Jillian Michaels arms" lol but it doesn't seem to be happening. My arms look AWESOME when I'm working out or flexing, but other then that I feel like you can't see the definition. I know I gotta lose more of the fat on top of the muscle in order for that to happen, however I've been losing weight and my arms aren't looking any more cut. I've tried to do more endurance type upper body workouts and while I lose weight, my arms aren't looking any different. Anyone have any suggestions about this? It's really bugging me!

Thanks!!

-Lauren

For arm definition - do push-ups!

For weight loss - up your fiber intake

Seemingly simple fixes but VERY effective! (affective - ?)

the band pull with arms bent at your side and pulling to work your rear delts. Makes the biceps pop too!

Yes Cosmo Mom!! That's the band work I was thinking about (have no idea what it's called, lol :eek: ) . I always love the way my arms look when doing that one! Good suggestion, because the rear delts are sooo hard to hit and define well, but look SO :eek: good for those that can! ;)

Congrats on getting married! When's the big day? :D

As far as arm muscle goes, I know exactly what you mean because I have the same issue. And though I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because those shapeless arms are severely genetic :rolleyes: , there are a few things that I've noticed that help.

Here's what works for me:

For one, LIFT HEAVY. Don't get me wrong, I do some endurance type workouts, but when it comes to my arms, if I stay in that type of rotation for too long, it does more harm than good. If I want to keep on in an endurance training capacity, then I still add in another heavy lifting arm day at some point in the week (or at least a heavy shoulder workout). Which brings me to my next point. W/arms like ours (or really, any arms in my opinion - but especially ours :p), it's crucial to do enough good shoulder work. The shoulders is what makes the arm "pop." It's also what gives the illusion of the tiny waistline, so do not ignore those delts! Start paying close attention to women that you think have nice arms, and you will realize that it's those shoulders that call your attention to the arms!

So what I'm doing when I'm trying to get in shape for an event is this: hit the shoulders and hit 'em hard, and heavy (w/good form!). I do this at least once/wk (sometimes twice), and then a lighter workout at some other point during the week. The same way that most of us women feel the need to pound our legs into oblivion by working them multiple times/wk, this is the way I focus on shoulders. At least 2x's/wk : 1 heavy and 1 light workout (possibly band work). IDK if you have 4DS or CTX but they both are my go to shoulder workouts because they are short enough to be added in on cardio days or by themselves whenever you can think to do them.

The other thing that I focus on is eating, and w/everyone this is a little different. Take this time to begin to place close attention to how your muscles are reacting to certain ways of eating. After each meal check out your muscles. Eat more protein see how your muscles react. Do they get harder, go flat, or get soft depending on your carb intake? For me, I try to stay higher on the protein end of the protein/carb ratio, but if I notice my muscles getting flatter, then I know it's time to carb up. The carbs give my muscles that same "pump" that you get when lifting, but if I go overboard, everything gets mushy and soft.

And last, as the big day approaches, increase your water intake to flush any remaining water, and also (if you still have your sanity and can squeeze it in :eek: ) on the big day, try to get in a quick muscle "pump" session shortly before heading out to be "seen", lol. Focus your attention on whatever muscles will be showing, so that you can get that same look that you see in the mirror when you're working out. (i.e. for arms, do as many pushups as you can possibly do, as many dips as possible, and maybe some quick band work - lat pull-downs, bicep curls, shoulder raises,etc). This does not have to be a full blown workout, but just enough to pull some water into the muscles and give you that "pop" that you love ;)

Thanks so much for all the great advise, Kiki! My wedding is October 21st (just over 3 1/2 months to go :)). I'm so excited but nervous and stressed at the same time lol. My first dress fitting is August 8th so I really want to be at goal weight (or within 2 lbs) by then. So I really gotta buckle down.

I HAVE noticed how much well defined arms make all the difference in how in shape someone looks. I usually lift heavy so I love that you are stressing that lol. I love lifting heavy. It makes me feel powerful and confident. I workout each arm muscle hard and heavy once a week, but I'm going to try adding an extra lighter shoulder workout each.

As for my diet I REALLY think cutting down my carbs will help. But it's s hard for me!! I'm going to try to at least not eat carbs after lunch with the exception of vegetables (which, I don't know if its just me, I don't really count towards my carb intake).

Again thanks so much for the advise! I'll check back in in a couple weeks and let you know how I'm doing!

-Lauren

Kikster - great advice! I totally agree with the shoulder workout. That's what really sticks out and makes everything look great. I know if I "feel fat" that if I still want to appear looking good to do my shoulder workout.

Lauren - congrats on your weight loss - weddings are a great goal! I'm sure you look great. One last hint about arms that make them look nice is doing the band pull with arms bent at your side and pulling to work your rear delts. Makes the biceps pop too!

Enjoy your day!!!
:D

Thanks for the congrats :). I was thinking of doing a lot of band work for my 2nd weekly shoulder workout. Can you explain the move you mentioned before a little more.. I'm having a hard time picturing it. Thanks again!!

For arm definition - do push-ups!

For weight loss - up your fiber intake

Seemingly simple fixes but VERY effective! (affective - ?)

First things first.. I love your user name lol.

I already take in a lot of fiber, but I'm trying to think of a few ways to get a little more in. Lately I've really been slacking on my veggie in take. Due to being crazy busy mostly. Thanks for the advice!

Also, what do you guys suggest as far as amount of cardio?? I usually try for 3 days of cardio, including 1 HIIT workout a week. But to be honest I usually only do 2. I HATE cardio lol. Should I be doing more?? Thanks!

What's helped me in the past...

1. Adding in Pushups

2. A few diet guidelines....nothing fried, nothing with flour, no potatoes and reducing sugar. That's very tough for me to follow but when I do it makes a world of difference!

Here's an example of the rear band pull

That move is also in Travel Fit, which if you don't have it already, would be perfect for your pre-wedding w/o (even if you only do the upper body segments - for that pump ;) - since it has all of the exercises that everyone has recommended here.)

As for the cardio, unless you're doing some circuit work, or tons of leg work, you may wanna kick the cardio up a notch to break through your plateau (especially the closer you get to the big day ;) ). I despise cardio, too, but when a big event is coming up, it's inevitable that I'll end up adding more in :( . I will admit that I increase the cardio slowly, though, so as to prevent another plateau. So maybe space it out over the next 3.5 months and add an extra session/wk every couple of weeks. So if you do 2 now, go to 3 for a few weeks, then 4 for the next month or so, and then really tighten up during the last 1.5 month or so w/5 or more sessions (maybe breaking it up on some days so it's not so excruciating :p - 30 min AM/30 min PM). Personally, my body will quickly adjust to cardio, and become dependent on it. So, instead of increasing dramatically all at once, I do it slowly, to kinda give myself a safety net. I go through my other options first (circuit work, an extra leg w/o). Then, if progress seems to slow, I can always add in more cardio since I'm not already maxing myself out from the beginning, if that makes any sense :confused: , lol ?

You're right about the veggies, go CRAZY on them the closer you get to Oct 21 (especially the green ones: asparagus, spinach, broccoli, etc) they'll help even more w/the "flushing." Just remember to start now watching exactly how your body reacts to different meals (do certain things bloat you? i.e. broccoli, wheat, dairy :eek: ) so that you fine tune it as the day draws near.

Keep us posted! I'm sure you'll be the most beautiful bride EVER! ;) :D

Thanks for all the adivse girls!!

I do one or two leg workouts a week. My rotation used to be something like this..

Sun- Slow and Heavy- C&B
Mon- HiiT Pyramid
Tues- S&H-L&S
Wed- OFF
Thurs- 45 min run (until I started getting this cramping pain under my right rib.. I'll get the pain within the first 2 mins and it gets worse and worse so I usually have to stop at only 10 mins. SO FRUSTRATING! Because I went from running a 10 miler to not being able to run for 10 mins. I've tried running on an empty stomach, after eating a banana, in the morning, at night.. nothing helps. Still trying to figure out whats going on there. It's one of the reasons I really hate cardio.) So I usually come back and try to do HiiT or something. I digress... lol
Fri- S&H- B&T
Sat- B&G

So this week this is what I'm doing and I'll be following the same sort of rotation for the next few weeks..

Sun- S&H- L&S
Mon- Terminator- IMAX Extreme
Tues- S&H- C&B
Wed- OFF
Thurs- Hiit Pyramid and light shoulder workout w/ bands
Fri- S&H- B&T
Sat- KPC

Does that sound ok??

I noticed that my upper body fat (of course, now you are several pounds lighter than me so maybe I should try your rotation;)) was longer slower cardio sessions. Do you have a weighted vest? You could do a hike without breaking into a jog and still get the cardio effect without hitting your stitch (in your side.) I think that you are having that discomfort because you are doing too little cardio. But, I could be wrong. I used to get that stitch when I was not warmed up enough. Have you tried a 10 minute warm up rather than a 5 minute? Also, are you doing any rapid breath of fire yoga techniques? That dramatically improved my breathing and lung capacity.

Don't forget to try some coconut oil (for the metabolism) and throw in some yoga to help flush fluids out of your system before the wedding/picture day.

Congratulations!! This is so exciting, post pictures if you can!

Alisha

I noticed that my upper body fat (of course, now you are several pounds lighter than me so maybe I should try your rotation;)) was longer slower cardio sessions. Do you have a weighted vest? You could do a hike without breaking into a jog and still get the cardio effect without hitting your stitch (in your side.) I think that you are having that discomfort because you are doing too little cardio. But, I could be wrong. I used to get that stitch when I was not warmed up enough. Have you tried a 10 minute warm up rather than a 5 minute? Also, are you doing any rapid breath of fire yoga techniques? That dramatically improved my breathing and lung capacity.

Don't forget to try some coconut oil (for the metabolism) and throw in some yoga to help flush fluids out of your system before the wedding/picture day.

Congratulations!! This is so exciting, post pictures if you can!

Alisha

Thanks Alisha! I'll def try to post pictures!

And yea I've tried every breathing technique out there.. the cramp still comes. My Chiropractor thinks it may be a gastrointestonal problem. Possibly my gallbladder. I have lots of other stomach issues too which makes me think he may be right. Last time I went to a GI Doc she told me that she thought it all had to do with my constipation issues. She had me take miralax twice a day for a month. It didn't help any of the acid reflux, daily horrible gas pains, cramping, or the pain under my rib. It barely helped with the constipation. But whatever. I go back next week and this time I'm demanding texts. I'm over this pain!! I've had these problems for years!

So I weighed myself this morning and I went from 159 lbs when I posted this thread to 157.2! So the advice and encouragement is really helping!! Haven't noticed much change in the shoulder area yet but they are feeling it! Thanks again every one :). EXACTLY 3 MONTHS TILL MY WEDDING TODAY!! I'll check back in in a week or two and let you know how my progress is coming.

Woo hoo! Cant wait to hear more! Wow time is flying. 3 months will be here before you know it! And those shoulders will be popping too ;)

Whats the dress look like, btw?

Thanks ladies!!!

And, Kiki, its a strapless, sweetheart top, satin gown. Its a darker ivory color with some beading along the top and lace mostly on the train. It's not a LONG train.. its just a little something. I'll try to post a link...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.