Plate Mates

NY25

Cathlete
So - for those of you using Plate Mates on your weights. I'm planning to buy two pair of the 1.25 pound hex mates, for use on my dumbbells. I've seen that some places also carry them in 5/8 pound increments. Does anyone use these 5/8 pounders?
Do you ever just add one 1.25 pound weight to a dumbbell, and if so, does that throw the balance of the dumbbell off? I'm wondering if it's just typical to go up by 2.5 pounds, or if there is ever a time you want to micro-load lighter to 1.25 total pounds increased.

Thanks!!

I use 1.25 plates. All my weights are plate loaded so I have to add the handle, screw on collars and plates to get to a certain weight. Major pain but I made up a chart of what exactly I need to get the dumbbell to weight X amount. If I have a 2.5 plate on one end and a 1.25 plate on the other I just hold the heavy end in toward my body especially for upper body work. The center of gravity seems better that way. I hope this made sense:).
Where did you see the 5/8 ones? I could use some of those.

I would also like the 5/8. It helps me with upper body weight increases if I can just go up a pound or so at a time.

I'd also like to know where you found them for sale.

All the best,

I did STS disc twenty-one today and added just one 1.25 to each dumbbell for the first wave load for some exercises. I added the second 1.25 plate mate for the next. I have no problems when I add just one plate mate to each dumbbell.

So - for those of you using Plate Mates on your weights. I'm planning to buy two pair of the 1.25 pound hex mates, for use on my dumbbells. I've seen that some places also carry them in 5/8 pound increments. Does anyone use these 5/8 pounders?
Yes, I use them all the time when I want to move up in weight, but not too much (from 15# to 16.25, for example, instead of to 17.5#).

You can get the same effect with the 1.25# platemates: just be sure to hold the handle of the weight a bit off-center, a bit closer to the end with the extra weight on, to get good balance.

I have 2 pairs of 5/8 and 1.25, and one pair 2.5 lb platemates. I have used 5/8 or 1.25 on just one end of the dumbell (sometimes it's easier to add 1.25 rather than 2 x 5/8). Whenever I only use one platemate per db, I just shift the way I hold the db -- closer to the end where the platemate is.

I bought mine at amazon for $20 a while back. I think the price has gone up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.