Pilates - which is the best?

kimyenchu

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you to all those who've responded to my questions about the kickboxing and step workouts. I've your feedback extremely useful and I bought some new DVDs based around your suggestions. I bought Seasun Zeiger's The Next Step and Jari Love's Get Ripped series and I love them all.

Now for more of your suggestions please. I have looked at the following Pilates workouts on collagevideo.com and a few have caught my attention. I would like more Pilates because Cathe's stretch tape is not enough for me and I am looking to lengthen and lean out rather than bulk up: I'm trying to move away from Cathe, less muscle building in favour of a more leaner and softer look. What do you think of these?

More Than Mat Pilates - Advanced Level
Janis Saffell's Brand New Butt plus Pilates
Method Pilates Precision Toning & Sculpting (Jennifer Kries)
Tracey Mallett's Renew You Sleek & Lean

Please contribute with others if you think they are better. My favourite so far More Than Mat Pilates, Jennifer Kries and Tracey Mallet. I want to include these in my order for Squeeze DVD.

TIA

Yen

MTV Pilates Mix! I love that workout. It uses traditional pilates moves but is a little more creative than most home DVDs.

Also I really like Ana Caban's Pilates for Abs. I think you can get this from Gaiam w/Rodney Yees' Yoga for Abs. Both workouts are about 30 minutes long. Ana's actually gives me DOMS in my abs for days! :)

i second ana caban. i have 3 and she is just awesome. i have the more then mat pilates but i haven't gotten past beginner level yet. its different exercises then matwork so it takeing me alot more concentration to get it right. i like tracy mallett but haven't done any of her pilates workouts,just her method and superbody cardio dvd.

still waiting on netflix for mtv pilates.i had one jenniefer kriess one but she just didn't click with me. she was kind of boring and just not as good with cueing. i think i traded that video years ago. from another vidiot's opinion,janis was better sticking with kickboxing LOL.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

060104_10010099873.gif

Funny you ask...I just tried More than Mat Advanced today and I really enjoyed it. I think it is for a person who has done some pilates before, which I can't tell from your post. The dvd moves are based on reformer exercises...she actually shows the reformer exercise before she does the mat version. The original version is 51 minutes...and then once you are comfortable with the moves there is a shortened 30 minute version.

As far as Jennifer Kries is concerned...I think that "Pilates...Target Specifics" is a good choice. There are 4 different sections..Abs, hips, arms and thighs. Her cuing is okay...but with practice you can get it.

Good luck!

Debra

we do not remember days....
we remember moments
--Cesare Pavese

http://www.picturetrail.com/aschendell
0101_10009001662.gif

Funny you ask...I just tried More than Mat Advanced today and I really enjoyed it. I think it is for a person who has done some pilates before, which I can't tell from your post. The dvd moves are based on reformer exercises...she actually shows the reformer exercise before she does the mat version. The original version is 51 minutes...and then once you are comfortable with the moves there is a shortened 30 minute version.

As far as Jennifer Kries is concerned...I think that "Pilates...Target Specifics" is a good choice. There are 4 different sections..Abs, hips, arms and thighs. Her cuing is okay...but with practice you can get it.

Good luck!

Debra

we do not remember days....
we remember moments
--Cesare Pavese

http://www.picturetrail.com/aschendell
0101_10009001662.gif

I really like Mari Winsor's Maximum Burn Advanced, which they sell on Collage. It is a nice follow up to her older videos with a slightly faster pace and some more challenging excercises.

Take care,

Ady

I have quite a few Ana Caban's and she's a great choice. I also love the More Than Mat Advanced dvd. I actually have all three versions: Beginner's, Intermediate and Advanced and I try to incorporate them whenever I can, tough stuff. If you are lucky to live close to a Ross or TJ MAXX, I have actually seen the three-pack of the More Than Mat series for I believe $14.99! you may want to check that out.

Good luck,

Katrina

$14.99 for 3 DVDs? I don't believe it!!! I was just thinking of ordering the whole serie you mentioned above at collagevideo.com, but they are selling them for $62.95. I don't live near Ross or TJMAXX, I live in the UK. It's so unfair!!!!!

I will be visiting Canada very soon though, does Ross or TJMAXX have stores in Vancouver, Canada?

Yen

>I
>don't live near Ross or TJMAXX, I live in the UK. It's so
>unfair!!!!!
>
Isn't there a TKMAXX store in the UK? I thought that was probably related to TJMAXX (I used to live in London). Of course, that doesn't mean they'd have the same DVDs, I guess....

TKMaxx is the UK equivalent, but I have not seen any fitness videos in there. There is a branch near me so I will check it out this weekend, but I doubt they would have the US DVD workouts here.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.