pike

tina72382

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! My goal this year is to be able to do pikes. I usually just throw myself on the ball and try to copy what you do on the videos. I usually end up on the floor :) Is there a way I should "teach" myself it, step by step, that would be easier (and less dangerous :p )? Thanks!

I am not cathe but I have foyund this post. Maybe this can help you.

Roses Wed Dec-10-03 12:00 PM
Charter member
240 posts

#30924, "RE: Need Pointers on Pikes"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi BodyKat!

I had trouble with these in the IS series until someone mentioned concentrate on just pulling your butt in the air and not concentrate on the legs....that did it for me. Well I shouldn't say did it but it REALLY helped. They are much more doable for me now.

Sami

Mariángeles a spanish terminator junkie. :) :)

Not Cathe but I was told to start with the ball closer i.e. initially start the move with the ball at your thighs, really hold the core stable and roll to the pike. When this gets easier gradually start with the ball further out (i.e. at the top of the calves). I've found that this has really improved my form.
The important thing is to do each move with correct form so that you don't hurt yourself. I switch to pike push-ups or planks (off the ball) when I can no longer hold my form on the pikes. Good luck!

That tip helped me and also the going for the sensation of "blocking" the shoulders or "stacking" the hips on top of the shoulders as close to vertical as you can get. If you can get the hips on top of the shoulders, the feet will follow and you'll be in that lovely pike. So think shoulders first.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.