Phobias anyone?

pixie9

Cathlete
So for the past, I don't know, 18 years or so I've had an intense fear of giving blood. Not necessarily the needle part, just the blood sucking part. :)
It stems from an incident in which I passed out after having to fast. It happened just as they were draining me. :p Since then, I have passed out a few times, each time after a fast. Strange huh?
Well, yesterday I had to have a blood test and I was, let's say, a wee bit nervous. I'm happy to report that I did it and there were zero problems! No passing out, no feeling weird, nothing! I know I didn't have to fast but I got through it (sounds pathetic huh?). I'm hoping that I'm starting to put this phobia behind me - finally!
So my question: does anyone else have strange/weird phobias? And if so, have you overcome them?

Just wondering.
Carolyn

Not a phobia, so much, but I really hate going down escalators. Going up is fine, but getting my foot on the first step of a down escalator always freaks me out a little. (Yeah, I'm real fun in airports and train stations when I have luggage with me...the added baggage brings even more wobbliness and fear into the situation.)

I have a phobia about vomiting or other people vomiting. I just found out that it has a name - emetophobia. I am terrified of vomiting and being around other people that are vomiting. I can't even help my kids out if they are sick because it causes me so much anxiety and distress. My anxiety is highest when I think they are going to get sick - I can't even be around them because I can't stand just waiting for it to happen. I have no idea how to overcome it - fortunately, we are rarely sick and I don't have to deal with this very often!

Congratulations on getting your blood drawn!

Erica

Perhaps this is more an OCD issue than a phobia....I can't be late for ANYTHING. I must be EARLY! I even get stressed out when I'm exactly ON TIME!

When I go to bed at night, I have to check my alarm clock about 25 times. No kidding! I've always been like this. On mornings when I have something BIG, I usually end up waking up a good 30+ minutes before the alarm even goes off. My older DS is getting to be like that too. He canNOT be even a minute late for anything, and can't STAND it when somebody else is late! Yeah...I'm rubbing off onto my kids!

Gayle

Well, Gayle, don't get behind me going down an escalator at the RT; you'll NEVER get there on time!!!!:p

I HATE heights. It's a real problem for me. DH being from the Northwest is always dragging me out to some mountain or cliff and he has no fear with heights whatsoever. I literally get sick. There have been times where we are driving on roads that have a steep drop on the side and I will actually lean into the middle of the car cuz' I can't handle it. DH makes me face this fear all the time it seems - skiing, hiking, etc... Makes me sick just thinking about it actually. Oh and I HATE flying. I'm always rerunning scenes from Lost in my head the entire trip. :/ Aside from that, I'm pretty phobia free. ;)

I don't know if they are "phobias" or just quirks of mine, but I have a couple...

I am quite a germ-phobe. I always take a can of lysol spray and clorox wipes with me when we go to hotels. I am pretty bad about it. I carry hand sanitizer with me at all times too.

I also have a huge fear/phobia of roaches. HUGE fear. Blech.

I used to share in the vomit phobia, but after having two kids who tend to get stomach viruses at the same time, I worked myself through that one.

Big bridges scare me to death! Whenever I have to drive over one I am always hyperventilating by the time I get to the other side!

Also, I hate caves and am not crazy about elevators. I don't like being underground and I don't like being in a box that I could be trapped in!

wasps. Once there was a yellow jacket in the car with me, I thought my heart would leap out of my chest, as I struggled to pull over before I got in an accident.

Any & all bugs absolutely terrify me! Most especially centipedes though. Not those little black segmented centipedes (although they're pretty scary), but those long legged, 4-5 inch monsters we have here in the northeast. Something about the way they move sends me into an absolute freak out.

Spiders get a pass though. I love spiders, b/c they capture & eat other bugs.

Like Carolyn, I've passed out before giving blood, but for some reason it never turned into a bona fide phobia. I do have a phobia about fainting, which has happened to me I think 10 times in my life, and only twice when having blood drawn. I'm happy to say however that I don't freak out as much about passing out.

Elevators scare me though. I've had many many nightmares about being stuck in an out-of-control elevator.

I know,Gayle, but when I'm standing there, clutching that moving railing, I can't help but think that the person behind me might give me a little kick!!!!:p

Hi Amy! I knew about your elevator problem. Don't you think it's because of that terrifying scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory (or is it Charlie and the Chocolate factory?)?
I guess I should say that I have a phobia about passing out too. It's all tied up in the blood drawing thing for me.

Carolyn

Worms. I'm terrified of worms. Can't even look a picture of one.

You have no idea how difficult this makes my gardening!!

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

>Worms. I'm terrified of worms. Can't even look a picture of
>you.
>
Sparrow, I had no idea I looked like a worm!:7 :7 :7

Carolyn

>>Worms. I'm terrified of worms. Can't even look a picture
>of
>>you.
>>
>Sparrow, I had no idea I looked like a worm!:7 :7 :7
>
>Carolyn
>
>

LOL!! I corrected it. :p
"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

This is weird but I won't go on a Cruise ever because of the movie the Poseidon Adventure (the original). I saw it when I was 11 and it scared the heck out of me. I'm fine with small boats but I will never, ever go on a big cruise ship.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.