Personal Debt of Gratitude to Cathe 12/31/09

Aquajock

Cathlete
My beloved brother Stephen died.

I only learned this sad news about 24 hours ago, and I and my family, spread out across the country and indeed across the globe, are pulling together to sustain each other emotionally and to perform the sad but necessary tasks attendant with laying a loved one to rest. This morning, despite having had almost no meaningful sleep and having three more conversations awash in tears, grief and love with family, I took a slice out of time and . . . worked out to one of my beloved Cathe workouts, because I desperately needed to expel some of the stress of the day and the night before. I did one of my favorites, one that I have done a million times before, because I needed the comfort of familiar things, including Cathe's reliable challenge and smile.

This is a strange way to commence a note expressing my everlasting gratitude to Cathe, I know. But in great part because of Cathe, exercise has not only become my means of staying physically healthy, but also staying emotionally healthy, in the short term as well as the lifelong haul.

I don't know what strange alchemy goes into the successful match of instructor and participant, teacher and pupil. I do know that I have found that alchemy with Cathe Friedrich. She has taught me a deep, abiding knowledge of how the body works in motion, and how to work that body so that it can be empowered, and she has done so by providing the practical tools, the essence of learning by doing.

When I was a group fitness instructor, I often encouraged my own participants to use exercise as a means of coping with the emotional demands of daily life as well as a means of physical fitness. I often said, "When you feel strong physically, you feel stronger emotionally." Well . . . with Cathe's help, I learned the truth of my own little nostrum all over again today. Although my grief is still terrible, I know I have the strength again to do the work I still need to do with my family for my brother.

As long as there is a Cathe Friedrich there will be an A-Jock. Cathe, I do thank you for everything past and present. I don't have the heart to start Shock Cardio right now, because I do not want to associate it with this time of sorrow. But I am deeply grateful for it, and for all of your other productions that lend such a fun and healthy dimension to my life. Take care, sweetie, and thanks again.

And to my beloved Stephen - rest in peace. I love you, brother.

Annette

Annette, I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayer is that you find peace and comfort in your memories and the warm thoughts of your friends.

Annette, I'm so very sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family. Your very eloquent and expressive post brought tears to my eyes and I thank you for sharing your personal pain and joy.

Annette, So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family at this sad time. Lisa in Louisiana

What a beautiful post, Annette.

I feel so fortunate to know you. You truly are one of a kind (and that is a compliment of the highest order!).

Hugs, prayers, and well wishes go out to you and your family at this time.

Annette - I am truely sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time. Thank you for your eloquent post as it brought tears to my eyes as well.

Oh Annette, I am truly sorry for your loss.

And what a lovely expression of gratitude to Cathe. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Annette,
My prayers are with you and yours. Losing someone you love is the hardest trial to endure.
Amy

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. There is nothing really a person can say at this time to help with the grief. I have been there, we lost a friend we grew up with ten years ago and I still forget and think its him on the phone when it rings. It doesn't hurt as bad, but I forget.:(

Oh my goodness A-Jock. I am just reading this now with such an extremely heavy heart. I am so very sorry to hear of your brothers passing and cannot begin to imagine the emotional and physical pain you and your family are suffering at this very moment. ((((((((Hugs to you my dear friend))))))))) I'm at a loss for words right now. I truly am. But I am deeply moved by your words (which I will hold dear to my heart always) and it brings me great relief and comfort to know that I am able to comfort you during this difficult time.

I will keep you, your family, and of course your brother in my prayers and I wish you strength in every capacity to help you through this time of emotional and physical anguish.

Much love, warmth, and prayer to you A-Jock. Peace be with all of you at this extremely sad time.

Cathe

I
My beloved brother Stephen died.

I only learned this sad news about 24 hours ago, and I and my family, spread out across the country and indeed across the globe, are pulling together to sustain each other emotionally and to perform the sad but necessary tasks attendant with laying a loved one to rest. This morning, despite having had almost no meaningful sleep and having three more conversations awash in tears, grief and love with family, I took a slice out of time and . . . worked out to one of my beloved Cathe workouts, because I desperately needed to expel some of the stress of the day and the night before. I did one of my favorites, one that I have done a million times before, because I needed the comfort of familiar things, including Cathe's reliable challenge and smile.

This is a strange way to commence a note expressing my everlasting gratitude to Cathe, I know. But in great part because of Cathe, exercise has not only become my means of staying physically healthy, but also staying emotionally healthy, in the short term as well as the lifelong haul.

I don't know what strange alchemy goes into the successful match of instructor and participant, teacher and pupil. I do know that I have found that alchemy with Cathe Friedrich. She has taught me a deep, abiding knowledge of how the body works in motion, and how to work that body so that it can be empowered, and she has done so by providing the practical tools, the essence of learning by doing.

When I was a group fitness instructor, I often encouraged my own participants to use exercise as a means of coping with the emotional demands of daily life as well as a means of physical fitness. I often said, "When you feel strong physically, you feel stronger emotionally." Well . . . with Cathe's help, I learned the truth of my own little nostrum all over again today. Although my grief is still terrible, I know I have the strength again to do the work I still need to do with my family for my brother.

As long as there is a Cathe Friedrich there will be an A-Jock. Cathe, I do thank you for everything past and present. I don't have the heart to start Shock Cardio right now, because I do not want to associate it with this time of sorrow. But I am deeply grateful for it, and for all of your other productions that lend such a fun and healthy dimension to my life. Take care, sweetie, and thanks again.

And to my beloved Stephen - rest in peace. I love you, brother.

Annette

I am so sorry!

AJ, may you find some strength offered from all your many friends, including Cathe, here. I am so sorry for your loss. You have always been such a strong woman and I know you'll be a great support for all your family. May God bless you all. Know we will all be here for you when you need us. LOVE & HUGS!!!!

Annette, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved brother. I'd like you to know that my heart goes out to you and your family, and my thoughts are with you. Please take care. ((:)()))

A-Jock - I am so sorry to hear of this. My prayers are with you and your family. You are a strong person...

Clarissa

My thoughts and prayers go to your family - I echo what's said here and it truly gave me chills reading the back and forth between you and Cathe during this sad time for your family - the power of words, family, and friendship.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. Many times in the past I have also offered my gratitude for the community that Cathe has created here on her forums, and I think that pixel of gratitude should be offered up again. The caring that has been demonstrated by Cathe's people toward me during this time is a reflection of Cathe as a person, as is the support we offer one another in developing and maintaining the practice of fitness as a healthy and fun lifestyle. May that spirit endure as well.

And thanks again, Cathe, for everything.

Best to everyone for 2010.

Annette

Oh Annette....

Annette, I am just now seeing your post, and I am truly unable to find adequate words to express my visceral reaction.

I am so, so sad for you. (Boy, what ridiculously puny words THOSE are.) I've lost both of my parents and so I think I can understand, in part, the kind of overwhelming grief that I know you're trying to navigate. It swamps you, it knocks you off your feet over and over, it sucks the wind out of you and it is just indescribably, unrelentingly awful. But I haven't lost a beloved sibling, dear A-jock, and I think that must be a differently terrible grief in a category all its own.

And in the midst of that kind of grief, you found the strength and the clear presence of mind to think about Cathe and what you've learned from her and employed to such good ends in your life, and then you worked out with Cathe knowing that it would help. And THEN you sat down and wrote a post about what you were thinking and feeling, with astounding eloquence and grace and spot-on accuracy.

You're right that Cathe's one in a million, Annette, but you are, too. This community wouldn't be anywhere CLOSE to the same without your presence. You're intelligent, educated, unrelentingly honest, reliably good-humored and wickedly funny, and I'm so glad you're "one of us."

You, Stephen, and your whole family are in my prayers, sweet girl.

Thank you Annette for your strength.

I need it too, as MY beloved brother died one month ago tomorrow.

I could barely get through Christmas.

You are in the presence of some very strong women on this forum.

Let me join my prayers and thoughts
with theirs for the comfort of your aching heart.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.