Permanent Makeup?

AngelaP

Cathlete
I'm thinking of getting permanent makeup done on my lips. Has anyone had any experience with permanent makeup they could share? Is it worth it? How long does it last? I know with makeup, its not a true tatoo since they use pigment instead of ink, so I know it will eventually wear off.

TIA!!

Oy.... just look at the picture of Michael Jackson's lips and eye liner. Not natural at all. Don't do it.

I have a friend who had lips, eyebrows, eyeliner done. Hers looks very natural, you would never know it wasn't her natural coloring. It depends on the skill of the operator and of course what you choose from what they offer. I'd research very carefully.

I had a friend who got her eyebrows done in jet black, and let me tell you it looked hideous! Please choose a more natural color for yourself, for instance maybe only one shade darker than your natural lip color. As long as it doesn't look clownish, and it's something you can commit to for a while, you should be fine.:)

My mom had her lips, eyebrows and eyeliner done...looks OK now (thank goodness it's faded!!), but TERRIBLE:eek: for the first two years (especially the first 6 months). Her lips were so swollen, it all looked very unnatural, eyebrows too dark, etc. I'm sure everyone is different but I haven't seen anyone who looks good with this.

My friend had her eye brows done, . . . and well, . . . .it just looks freakish to me. I would just tread very carefully and research, . . remember with all this stuff, . . .including plastic surgery stuff happens and the horror stories are enough to make me never want to do it. Although I would love to have a tummy tuck, . . . .I'm to freaked out about what could go wrong and that overtakes my want to have a flater stomach.

DO NOT do this!! It may look good for now, and even for some years, but when you get into later years, 60s and beyond, your skin coloring changes. What might look natural now will look like clown makeup when you're 70 or 80.

I'm going to jump on the "DON'T DO IT!!!!!" wagon here... I've known THREE women who've had it done (all at different times, and all unrelated). They've all looked absolutely awful and have ALL come to regret it.

One ended up going to court to sue over badly-done lip color (all wobbly looking around the edges-- looked really bad).

The second one tried to have her tattooed "eyebrows" removed because the color faded to a scary purplish color after the first year (the removal wasn't entirely successful).

The third woman also had eyebrows done and she looks like a perpetually surprised clown. She has been really depressed for years because she thinks she doesn't even look like herself anymore.

It's absolutely not worth it... if you consider it inconvenient to apply makeup regularly, think of how inconvenient it would be to have to put it on all the time to cover up some freakish permanent tattoo makeup just to look semi-normal.

MC

Oy.... just look at the picture of Michael Jackson's lips and eye liner.
That's the first thing I thought of as well!
I know nothing about it, but if there's no way to do a 'test drive,' to see what it will look like, I'd be very wary of doing it.

There are 2 people at my husband's office who had their lips done and they love it. My husband says they look ok, but I haven't seen them. However, I know someone who had this done to her brows and now she has Ronald McDonald eyebrows in brown. I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
The only experience I've seen is an old neighbor who had eyeliner done...It ROCKED! It wasn't over done, just enough for a neutral daytime look (still needs to use the "real" stuff for an evening out)...

Though it sounds like I'm the only one who thinks that...Have a feeling it's all in the person that's actually doing it for you...Just like tattoos, it's an art form.

MJ

Permanent Makeup

I got permanent eyeliner and also had my lips lined too about 9+ years ago. The color on my lips is SO VERY light, you can't even tell it's there. I won't have it re-touched either, b/c really.... I have no desire to look like The Joker from Batman! LOL. The eyeliner ROCKS, and unless they are all lying to me.... ppl don't even know that I have permanent liner until I tell them! The gal who did mine did it MUCH too dark and she took the line all the way out to the corner, which the makeup artist should NOT do b/c the color eventually creeps into the crow's feet. A few years later, I went to a trusted artist who helped me lighten the color on my eyes. She opened up the skin with the tattoo needle and I then had to put table salt on the open wound to lift the ink out!! Can you say PAINFUL, SWOLLEN EYES? :eek::eek::eek: It hurt like heck, but we did accomplish our goal. Having said all this.... despite what I endured....I LOVE my eyeliner and I'm glad I have it. If you do decide to move forward with this.... do as everyone suggested in terms of researching the artist and asking for recommendations. Good luck to you! ;)

Thanks everyone. I just want to get my lips done in a very natural, neutral tone so that I don't look so bad when my lipstick wears off or when I'm at the gym. I don't think there is any way in the world I would ever have the nerve to get eyeliner or eyebrows done. Just the thought of it freaks me out!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.