peri-menopause

KarenL

Cathlete
I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give on peri-menopause. It seems like almost overnight I have gain weight in the stomach area. What use to be pretty firm is now kinda squishy.;(

I work out 5-6 days a week. Usually follow Cathe's rotation for the month. I have included P90x ab ripper and core max. I feel like I am in a no win situation. The harder I work...the less results I am seeing.

Has any else been in this situation? Can you give me any advice?
Can anyone suggest a good book to read on this topic?

I am really frustrated and appreciated anything anyone has to share.

Karen

I don't know of a book or what advice to give. I am there with you though. I am finding it really hard to lose weight. I am 45 and my periods are coming every two weeks sometimes. It is really annoying and I gotta say, I don't have the patience for it. I want you to know that I am thinking of you and I have been told that exercise is one of the best things for it (like we need to be told that!) My best to you!

Karen,

A very good book, "The Power of PeriMenopause" by Stephanie DeGraff Bender".

What you are eating at this time of your life is critical. Simple carbs turn into fat much easier because your metabolism is starting to slow down.

I'm noticing more weight gain around the middle, too, which is unusual for me. I wondered if it was the change in my cardio routine - but, since I'm going to be 40 this July, I'm thinking it might be more related to age. Who knows... does anyone know anything about Relacore or any similar products that claim to fight middle aged belly fat? Ugghhh....

Kerrie

I'm 37 and my periods only last 4 days now when it use to be 6. Love that part, but I can't slack off at all or I will accumulate body fat quickly. I feel like as I get older, I will have to work much harder to maintain.

Charlotte~~

Charlotte,

First of all, the only way you could work harder is to workout all day x( which really isn't feasible. I'm convinced you may have to adjust your eating plan and your cardio but not necessarily work harder...just smarter.

Hi Charlotte,

I think that you are too young for peri-menopause, but it is possible some people start at 35. I started feeling the changes at age 40, I am now 44. I use a peri-menopause formula that I buy at MOM I beleive the maker is Enzimatic Therapy, it helps regulate the hormones. This has worked for me without side effects. The exercise is the best thing you can do, my periods are now 3-4 days and are very light, I don't get hot flashes, I never had one but I turn cold sometimes, my hands and feet especially, it is very weird but the doctor say is my age and that I am going through "the change" in life.

I don't know how to help you .But I wanted to tell you your not alone . I'm 43 and I'm going thru pre menopause too . For me I'm suffering from PMS for the first time in my life !!! About my last 8-10 cycle's.Keeping my blood sugar levels happy seems to help tons ,so I eat every2-3 hours !!! (The right foods )LOLAlso vitamin B-6 and B-12 seem to help .And keeping track of my cycle helps So I can prepare for that week !!! What am I saying more like 2 weeks LOL..I read it takes like 8 years !!! Oh my gosh How bad does it get ???? LOL I live with a house full of boys too NO understanding here LOL I need help too !!!!!!!x( x( x(

Before The Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause by Anne Louise Gittleman is a good book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...3/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-3145870-8324861

I am 45 and am definately experiencing perimenopause symptoms. The night sweats are the worse but if I am good about taking the "peri-zappers" she recommends I'm OK.

Also I was able to lose 12 lbs recently. Even though I work out alot I couldn't get rid of those extra 12 lbs left over from being pregnant at 41. I even trained for and ran a marathon last year and that stubborn fat held on. Clean eating and portion control was what did it.

The book gives advice about what vitamins and herbs to take and what sorts of food you should eat.

I highly recommend it.

Elaine

You all are so wonderful. Thank you so much for all of the advice. I guess the only thing to do is to move forward and fight the fight!

Thank you!

Karen

Just as I was about to dig out all this information, I see it here already!!

I can only second the endorsement of this fantastic book!! I take the supplements that are recommended and plan to stick with the natural route. It is great and I do notice a big difference. My husband does too, which is a nice improvement for my whole family. Mom is much more 'even' :) I follow her advice quite closely and it is very practical and doable.

It's really nice to know that I am not the only one who is going through these weird changes. I'm 42 and my body started growing a spare tire on my 40th birthday.

Eating very small frequent meals and exercising regularly seems to have stabilzed my weight - but certainly hasn't caused the pounds to just fall off like they used to!

Lots of good information. Has anyone seen a nutritionistfor this?

Emilyb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.