Pentagenarians & Beyond: Week Beginning: 5/10

Good evening ladies!

So to add insult to injury today was plyo fix at lunch. We seem to be doing this every Friday so I will need to remember this. My legs are now fried. Needless to say no workout tonight and I will be laying off any leg routine tomorrow and Sunday to rest them.

Judy...I think I mentioned I really liked the Sb Fusion but will not get to that again until next week. How is your hip doing? Still improving while doing the PT at home?

DB...great idea to shorten some of the STS workouts. I love STS but there are some exercises that are just over kill for me. For example way too many pushups for me to handle right now - oh and those wall/ball squats???? With WB I can just cut them out like they never existed!!! I think I have finished my Travel Fit. I took RWH Low impact and added it in thru out. Took out a couple of segments because it was getting to long. Start to finish is just over an hour.

Lynda...I have yet to do lean legs and abs. I have the downloads and used the old workout blender and took a few of the segments out to add to flextrain but I have never done the actual workout as is. Thoughts on the verdict? Really surprised that it was death. That just does not happen in Massachusetts. I believe justice was served and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Deb...there are no wall/ball squats in meso 2...THANK GOD!!!! Not sure I would be up to another month of those! I have lost 10lbs now. I am fitting in clothes that I competely forgot I had. Very nice. People seems to be noticing. When I say 10lbs they always seem surprised. Guess I hid it well! I am pretty much at my goal and if I lose a couple more then great but I am not going to stress over it.

Dawn...great workout! You are making me miss Xtrain!

Valerie...have a great trip. Can't wait to hear all aboit it.

Hi to Josie!

Hard Strikes Timesaver this afternoon. Short workout, but it was a sweatfest with the high humidity today.

Lori - That's a lot of leg work in a short period of time! They must feel like jello. That's great that you can fit into your smaller clothes!

Valerie - Hoping for some good weather so you can get your hiking and biking in.

Deb2 - You sure are doing good at customizing workouts to get exactly what you want. Sounds like WB is perfect for you!

Deb - Too bad that you couldn't get the B&B you wanted. I'm glad that you were able to find a place where you could bring the dogs, though.

I met my Meetup group friends tonight for coffee and chat - we get together every two weeks and its nice to talk to some people in my age group. No big plans this weekend except for Super Cuts tomorrow and running some errands. Hopefully it will be nice enough for me to have my morning coffee on the patio.

Hi to Lynda, Josie and Judy! And a good evening to everyone.

Good morning!

Nice day yesterday, even though it was cool, and it rained around 8:30 pm, so the grass was watered with no effort on our part, just like it should be. :).

DB I hear you on the leg workout length.., yesterday I did my first "subbing" of an STS workout, I did the All strength premix from HIIT Legs instead of the STS leg workout....I had an appointment and could not get that whole workout in before....It was a nice change and NO WALL SQUATS.

Valerie, we have actually done the one trail that is along the Ellicott creek and the University, many times. We used to do it on roller blades, now we do it on bikes. It is a 10 mile trail....one of our favorites. I wish we could ride the bikes to the trial, instead of having to take them there, but it's still great. I am going to put that link as a "favorite" and see if we can do some of the others this summer.

Lynda, John will take his fishing gear, and I will take my Nook with a few books loaded on it, we can hike with the dogs, (or without), explore the little town that is near the cabin...and Zoar Valley is right there ....http://www.frankbroughton.us/zoar_valley.html. I may see if the B&B in has a dog friendly room for July 4th weekend which is in Seneca Falls....another great place for hiking etc. I will keep LLA in mind for a STS leg sub workout.

Judy, thanks for the link.

Lori, wow, my legs would be fried too, and I probably would not be able to walk the next day. Did you keep your Travel Fit all band work? Added in just cardio? I agree that the verdict was the right one.

Dawn, good job on Hard Strikes....do you have the older Cathe Kickbox workouts? My favorite is the 30 minute part of the 4DS Leg workout.

Hi to Josie,

Agility class this morning, then we go to the last play of the season at our local theater, and tomorrow is a obedience match at another local club. I need to get Kylee out to other clubs, before we go to the trial in Dunkirk next month.

Take care,

we've watched a lot of movies lately. two nights ago it was "Begin Again" with keira knightley, mark ruffalo, catherien keener. I did NOT like this at all. everyone was annoying even the normally good people, and the supposedly "great music" was tedious and all sounded the same. Keira should not quit her day job. 2 stars.
started watching a series called John Adams. based in 1770 just before the Rev war. paul giamatti, laura linney. this is an excellent historical docu /drama. we've only watched 1 episode but excellent so far. it's from 2008, not sure if it's from HBO or where but very well done.

we did some serious gardening Thursday. I made a point of hauling a big bag of chick manure around up and down hills. did a 26 mile road ride yesterday. not sure today. drizzling out so far so maybe indoor workout.

Deb, we are going thru getting someone else into an exercise program... a cousin. he and his wife want to hike/ride with us but so far unwilling to do the work . He bought an expensive folding bike ( something like $3000) and a plain used one. wife never learned to ride and even after lessons doesn't get it. they belong to a gym. like pulling teeth to get them to go even though it's right across the street from their condo. we keep saying, it doesn't have to be "brutal", but you need to do something...walking, riding, for 30 min almost every day.
we have a Lemond revmaster spin bike. it was the only bikewe could fine of reasonable price/ quality. we saw $200 walmart specials, and $3000+ pro level cycles. we wanted middle ground. IMO you need to go test something like this and not order blindly. test riding a bike in the store was a wake up call to how tough spinning can be. the lemond is a good solid bike and was about $1200 as I recall. at the time there were very few stores with spin bikes. being in a shop and seeing all the possible choices might motivate him. don't rule out recumbent bikes. they use a different position but get around the issues of numb hands and sit bone soreness, and they can go fast and long distances.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,
I went spinning yesterday and worked out with Karina on Thursday. I plan on going to the gym and taking body pump today.
I went to lunch with my old co-workers and things have not changed since I left. They are all still miserable, I'm so glad that I'm not there anymore.
We are going out tonight to a jazz club for dinner and to listen to one of my DH's favorite artist. I would much rather go dancing than just sit an listen, but he promised to take me dancing next week :)

Garance, I forgot to tell you not to waist your time watching " A Most Violent Year". It is the most boring movie that I have sat through. My DH and I went to see it and wanted to leave 10 minutes into it.

Deb, glad that Kylee is doing ok.

Lori, congratulations on your weight loss and getting into your smaller clothes.

Hi to Valerie,DB. Judy and Dawn!

Josie

Good afternoon ladies!

Today I did the first 30 minutes of Live Hardstrikes on my heavy bag then followed up with STS back and tris. Later today I will take Chester for a walk. Kind of overcast today. We need the rain but hoping it holds out until after our walk.

Deb...I finished up my custom Travel Fit this morning. Decided to use more of Xtrain's All Out Low Impact then the RWH low impact as I originally planned. I felt it flowed better. I kept all the band work but added in more cardio chapters to the already existing cardio and took out the push-ups! Total workout now is exactly 60 minutes so this will work out well. I need to pull out the 4ds kickboxing. I remember liking it. The trip sounds nice.

Valerie...John Adams is a great series. I read the book and have watched the show. Loved it. Very strong acting in this. Enjoy.

Dawn...Hardstrikes whether it's a time saver or not is a great workout. I agree it is nice to have a group of friends the same age you can meet up with and chat. How long have you been getting together?

Josie...oh to go dancing! My DH is not a dancer. I get out to dance every now and then but not often enough.

Having a lazy afternoon which is very unusual. Kind of like it!

Have a great afternoon all!

Cathe WB Biceps & Abs

Still kicking it with the wb and having fun. Put these abs between the STS biceps and the Pure Strength biceps. Helped break it up. Still had to drop down in weight for the PS biceps. She does the funky count thing - 6 up 2 down on the curls. Forces me to go a lot lighter than I did with STS. SO it's a good way to shock my body, heavy as I can then lighter. Believe me I feel it in both workouts.

Tomorrow I'm thinking cardio and stretching.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

I'm going to be around here today as I won't be for most of next week. Josie thanks for the heads up on that movie. I had it on my queue but took it off after reading many reviews that agree with yours.... boring.
Lori maybe you already talked about this.... but what can you say about the diet besides the expensive little containers? you are having great luck with it! 10 lbs is terrific!. is it hi protein/ low carb, or general low cal? low fat? I need to take another run at this. I'm not gaining but not losing and got deathly sick of weight watchers. I
you can dance for me too...... I can't dance and neither can DH so we are perfectly suited to each other. I've tried but total klutz...almost as much fun as step aerobics for me.

Deb that looks like a lovely area... hope you have some adventures.

Valerie...you really do not need the containers at all. PM me your email and I will gladly send you the info. I have lost 10 lbs in I think 4 or 5 weeks. Not sure now how long I have been doing the 21day fix. I know it has been more than 21 days though!!! I would say it is mainly just eating really clean and it really has taught me portion size. All the ladies have lost weight. Some 5 pounds but 2 the same as me. So it depends on how faithful you are and other than my mothers day cheat I have been really sticking to it. What I love about it is I am not starving at all and feel I have plenty to eat. I feel like a spokes person!!! Lol!!!

Lori I haven't sent a PM in a long time and I can't see how to do it. Feeling totally stupid because I never had a problem before but I just don't see it now. I have time tomorrow morning and then I'm gone for a few days so I'm not blowing it off if I don't respond right away.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.