Pentagenarians & Beyond: WB 11/22

I've had trouble with breaking crowns on this tooth before. I must hit on it pretty hard. the crown I just had removed only lasted a few weeks before I broke off a cusp. I chose then not to replace it right away but decided to finally because the tooth behind it needed a new crown too. they are ancient. I wasn't eating anything when I heard it crack. it didn't come off.
Carolyn I was thinking you liked Ellie Krieger recipes. our paper ran one this morning from the Wash Post. a quinoa and roasted vegetable casserole. I though it sounded really good. did you see it by chance?

diane sue hope your appt went well this morning.

DH has found out he has very low level sleep apnea. this will motivate him on the diet although he is not much over weight. definitely can lose a few pounds but iffy about changing that status. he wants to look at the dental appliances. he gets claustrophobic with anything on his face ( recent MRI required sedation) so a regular CPAP will not be an option. i am not claustrophobic but would never be able to wear a cpap mask.

Judy if you can afford to lose the income, its best to avoid as much exposure as possible . virus is going nuts here too.

Shopping this morning and stores were much busier than usual especially the second one, but at least everyone was masked and I shopped as fast as I could. Boys got home about two hours ago. Worst thing they ran into was rain and some fog. What a difference a week made with the TP supply. Luckily we don't need any because all they had was an off brand, but they have tons of paper towels now after not having any for weeks.

Diane Sue I really liked that kickboxing workout and you certainly got a great calorie burn out of it. Hope your appointment went well.

Valerie that's really lousy that your temporary crown cracked. Glad you were able to get it taken care of so quickly. Hopefully your DH losing weight will help with the apnea.

Carolyn nice job with that workout!

No workout today. I went for my doctors appointment and felt so drained by the time I got home. I had a cup of coffee and RX bar and was still tired( 5 hours sleep) so I went upstairs and laid down and napped for a bit. I feel better. Sore through the neck and shoulders today. That boxing workout was a bit long for me and intense even though I used care. Although I did manage to not get the knot in my shoulder blade and upper back area. Maybe doing the mobility work afterward helped some. I am making a peach pie and pumpkin tonight. I will get up tomorrow and do a workout and make a pot of stew for my husband before I head to my daughters or Thanksgiving. She has a lot more space out at her home and outdoors than I do.
The doctor appointment went well. She said I have a strong heart beat. I guess that is good otherwise she would have wanted to do something about it. I got my flu shot out of the way. Now I need to get the mammogram done.

Valerie, I have learned when getting a crown to have one of those repair kits handy because that temp almost always cracks and comes off and it seems like it is always a weekend or holiday. I have not had to do one in a few years now. Hope I don't have to for more years. It took me awhile, but I got used to my air purifier running at night. I just keep the lights on it off. I do not notice it running.

Carolyn, nice work and calorie burn on Rev'd up and Rumble.

Cathy, glad to hear your boys made it home safe. The things they run out of is nuts. I kept going to the store and trying to order napkins and always ended up with paper towels as an exchange. On a whim I put down napkins from whole foods again and this time I got napkins. I am not wild about thin toilet paper, but it sure beats the option of not having any.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Grateful for this amazing group!

We are not driving to my inlaws. Decided to stay home and be safe. We have to stop a lot with GiGi and we do not want to deal with all the extra people at rest stops. So it is just Bob and I. We were planning to both cook dinner today, but since it is going to be a nice sunny warm day we decided a relaxing day by the pool is calling us. We will cook tomorrow! Makes no difference to us! Lol!

I had a couple of busy weeks planing 2 back to back meetings at a local hotel. All needed large enough space to safely social distance. Everything is over and now I can relax. Will hop on tomorrow to catch up. Hope all is well!

Enjoy this wonderful day!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

We are not having our usual (30+ year ) traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It will only be John and me. We'll join a family Zoom call this afternoon.

I hope everyone has a nice, healthy and safe day. Although not the best of times, we have a lot to be thankful for.

Deb

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

We are staying home and having a relaxing day today. Yesterday I did XTrain Ride and today I will be doing a total body weight workout, not sure which one yet.

Diane Sue-Nice job with Cathe Live Love Me Some Kickboxing. I need to check that one out.
That's good that your appointment went well.

Carolyn-Great job with Rev’d Up Rumble. I’ve been meaning to do that one.

Valerie-I’m sorry about your temporary crown breaking. I have a crown that I probably need to get replaced within the next year or so.
It’s nice to have the extra income but we can live without it. I really like working part time at HD and I love my co-workers. I do feel like this is a scary time to work in that environment and I'm glad I didn't have to quit to be able to stay home at this time. I've been off more than I've worked this year. I hope we can return to some level of normalcy by this time next year.

Cathy-Nice job with Live Upper Body with Ball. The only paper towels and toilet paper you can find around here are the off brands. I’ve heard that Sam’s and Costco are completely out again. I’m glad I stocked up in March. We still have plenty left.

Deb-You are right, we have a lot to be thankful for.

Lori-We aren’t cooking today either. A relaxing day by the pool sounds so nice!

Good morning! happy turkey day to everyone! we are happy and thankful to be hanging out here and avoiding illness. so glad we have a home gym to work out in, and a refrigerator full of WW friendly food. we plan on Zooming with cousin and wife later. our first thanksgiving without some kind of gathering. everyone we know is staying home, staying safe, zooming. hopefully that system won't get overwhelmed.

I did Rock em sock em and the Ab workout last night. this morning we may mt bike depending on if it rains or not. I modify jacks and angels but still get in a good workout. some jumps but not like Cathe for sure! tree farm gets quiet this time of year with trails closed, but we can get a good workout on the roads.

I'm cooking less than usual. a small turkey breast, roasted vegies and pumpkin pie. I usually make other things for guests but no need this year.

I'm doing fine with the crown. I put a bright pink stickie on my bathroom mirror to remind me not to floss that section. I forgot once ( years ago) and popped off a temp crown with floss. easy to go on automatic pilot and bingo, off it went. judy I also put this one off for years. the old crowns were wearing off their finish. one must be 40 years old.
I haven't even looked for tp, paper towels etc. last summer when supplies were up I unintentionally bought a second bundle thinking I was running low. so still full up. the one thing costco was out of was chicken, but they also had that cooler filled up with turkeys so maybe it was coincidence.

ETA we did our mt bike. it was cloudy and damp and muddy but did 70 min. just ate lunch and now its raining so we lucked out. .

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving. This morning I did Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper Body which was 42 minutes and 161 calories burned. My average heart rate was 110 and maximum heart rate was 143.

It’s just the two of us this year. No children, siblings, or nieces and nephews. We are all trying to stay safe and protect each other. I am very thankful for this group and the support that we give each other.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful day.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We had our meal mid-day, so I needed a quick workout this morning. Ended up doing Live Crush It Low Impact. 34 minutes and a really good short workout when you need one. Just the 4 of us and I have a Zoom with my family tonight.

After I made the food, ate and cleaned up I ended up laying down and set my Fitbit alarm for 30 minutes. Woke up at 5 and have had a few rough nights this week that finally caught up with me and ended up napping for an hour and a half. My Fitbit stopped tracking sleep night before last. This morning I undid all my notifications and restarted it. I hadn't been getting message notifications for months and nothing I try has fixed that, so I'm not hopeful. We'll see about sleep tonight.

Diane Sue glad that your appointment went well. Hope your neck and shoulders are feeling better today.

Lori I'm sure it is nice to have a big project done at work. Enjoy your pool time.

Deb enjoy your family Zoom. Being able to video chat with family and friends has turned out to be such a blessing this year.

Judy a ride and total body sounds like an excellent combo!

Valerie hopefully you have no more issues with the temporary crown. Last one I had was right before I was going camping for a week, so he put a higher level of stuff on it to keep it in place because I would have no access to getting a problem dealt with. I actually had dreams about doing something to make it come off! LOL Glad you were able to get in a ride today after doing Rock'm Sock'm yesterday with the abs.

Carolyn nice job with the SBSS Upper Body!

Today I did Kelly Coffey Cardio Sculpt Fitness dvd premix cardio with abs, 164 calories, heart rate 113/168, 3,167 steps,39 minutes. I am not sure how accurate that was as when I went to check the app my internet was off. It did not seem right because when I finished the final cardio segment and was breathing hard it said 87. I then did Cathe Live 323 legs express, 36 minutes, 116 calories, heart rate 105/133, 1,486 steps. I finished off with Perfect 30 extended stretch, 8 minutes, 12 calories. Total time was 83 minutes, 292 calories, 4,676 steps. I went to my older daughter's house and had thanksgiving with her family and my granddaughter's boyfriend. We played a lot of fun games and finished off with pie. They had retired to the downstairs living room eating pie and playing games on their game system. That is when I decided to head home so I can get some things done around the house. I need to check and see if any school work is up and ready for next week. It was odd when I drove by I HOP they had a parking lot full of cars. For one thing who goes to IHOP for Thanksgiving and for another most businesses are closed. Maybe a large family had their turkey day there or something to spread out. Not much traffic on the roads so it made it quicker to get out of town. My husband had to go to work.

Cathe Live Legs Express # 323 10,12,15# dbs, mat, and stability ball 36 minutes
warm up 7 minutes
lateral walk with 10's 4 left and 4 right steps
static lunge 15's 16 reps each
side to side sumo and pivot sumo 4 each 15# db
reverse lunge pulses 3 sets repeat other leg 15# dbs
squats 15# dbs 16 reps and deadlifts 15# dbs 16 reps repeat
forward back lunges 10# dbs 10 reps each leg
side lunge stand 15# db 12 reps each leg
wide stance deadlift 15# dbs and crossback lunge 8# dbs repeat
alternating front lunge 12# dbs 16 reps
sumo march turning 15# db
alternating rear lunge 12# dbs 16 reps
repeat sumos turning opposite direction 15# db
@ 24 minutes no weights get mat and stability ball
hamstring roll ins
ball toss and catch
ball squeezes
outer thigh lifts and circles
@ 33 minutes stretch using the ball

Lori, it sounds like you had a pleasant day today. We do not always do holidays on the day. We already did a Thanksgiving dinner a week and a half ago. Christmas is going to be on the Sunday before. My granddaughter bought her dog hopper today so we had two labs and hopper who is a mix joining in the fun.

Deb, I hope the family zoom was fun. Hopefully soon we will be on the path to normalcy. Yes we do have much to be thankful for.

Judy, I have found that the stores that are not big name stores have better stock of paper goods and things that get sold out in places like Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, and Sprouts. Actually Sprouts does not do too bad, but the only paper product I like there is the paper towels. The toilet paper is all recycled stuff and stuff like Seventh Generation that costs too much and is not comparable to good paper products. I bought bamboo tissues there and did not care for them at all. Are they out of good paper products at Home Depot?
It is nice that you were able to just take time off.

Valerie, I am always doing things unintentionally on auto pilot. I prefer chicken over turkey. After thanksgiving I fed leftover turkey to my husband and Gertie got some pieces. If I use any of it it would go in a pot pie soup. But I still prefer chicken for that. It seems like if Zoom can handle classrooms full of children it should be able to handle families.

Carolyn, nice that you got a workout in today. No family zoom today?

Cathy, you probably felt much better after having the nap. I don't know what to tell you about not sleeping. My nights have been rough and I really get tired of reading all of the tips for sleep and I just roll my eyes as they do not work. I have had my Fitbit Versa 2 not show notifications. I usually have to go turn off the notifications and then turn them back on. If I shut my watch down completely, I usually have to go back and uncheck and check the notifications again as they are likely to not work. Something is going on with Fit bit and with MFP because I keep having odd things happen. My Fitness Pal has stopped letting me put in new workouts. I put yesterdays in 3 times and each time it would flash and vanish. I had to turn Fitbit app off and restart and sync 3 times to get the readings for todays workout. It gave the steps at first, but not the workout.

I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. We do have a lot to be thankful for. Our health and being able to stay fit is just one of them.

Good morning. Today I did Step Sync, combos 1 and 2. That was 33 minutes with 235 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 171.

It sounds like everyone had an enjoyable day yesterday. We didn’t do a family zoom, but I spent a lot of time on the phone with various family members.

Great job with the workouts ladies. Have a wonderful afternoon and keep up the good work.

good morning. our Zoom went nicely. fun seeing their new condo. not for me but they like it. cousin had been on a successful diet. really paranoid about covid. someone in his condo building, actually more than one person, who refuses to wear mask while exercising. cousin has not used the gym since. he has gained some weight back. he complained to the HOA it but not resolved yet. he's even spoken to this person but a smart ass younger guy who flat out refuses. Ive not seen their gym area. someone who lives in the building has covid currently. I would wear a mask and use gym at another time of day but I dont have the health hx cousin has. there is a walking path around the roof of the building I'd use instead or I'd go hike or ride somewhere. not sure if he's making excuses to skip exercise because it seems there would be work-arounds for him. I prefer outdoor anyway. I don't wear a mask mt biking, road riding, hiking. we don't go anywhere we will be anywhere near anyone. I dont worry about outdoor air.

I have never had luck with devices without a chest strap and I dont have any straps that work. when I grab the handles of the ellipical or treadmill I get all sort so bizarre readings often twice what it should be, but the numbers disappear if you dont have both hands on the handle. every year I consider getting a fitbit ( or something like it) for xmas but always skip it. maybe this year. I would like to track my steps even if it wont work for riding.

I like chicken better too, so I make the turkey into soup or pot pie. I hate puff pastry. I use french bread cut in slices and soaked in egg/milk. spray the top lightly with pan spray, and bake. drops fat considerably and IMO tastes way better. like savory french toast.

This morning I did Sweat Step. I really like this one. All the moves were ones I know, and she did less breakdown of the combos than usual, and she went almost immediately into the first combo. Of course being step, their were several times she lost track of where she was. What's odd it that at those times when she was getting things back on track she was clearly looking at something in front of her to do it, so why she could do it then and not the whole workout I don't know. I followed that up with the Mobility Stretch premix. Has anyone else wondered how big a closet Cathe has for her workout clothes? A closet? A whole room? LOL

I'm seriously thinking of ditching my FitBit. I haven't even had it all that long and really don't need to spend the money, but it's a PITA with the things it just decides it won't do. Yesterday I messed with the notifications and all the settings and restarted it, and last night it did track my sleep, but I've tried everything I've found and nothing has worked to get it to send me notifications. Of course it's Black Friday and so there are sales...

Apparently, Derek and I are doing the Lansing Zoo tomorrow. It's outdoors and masked are required everywhere unless you are eating or drinking and we can go after lunch. It's a small zoo and a lot of animals won't be outside anymore due to cold and buildings are closed. He's just hoping he can see the baby rhino again before winter. It's supposed to be upper 40's and sunny so at least that'll be a plus. He's also plotting to do Toledo and Detroit over break. Persistence thy name is Derek.

Diane Sue excellent workout combo. Tomorrow is a leg day for me and I may check that one out. My knee has been a tad cranky so I don't want to push it too much.

Carolyn great job on Step Sync!

Valerie, that's too bad that your cousin is struggling to workout. Even if he doesn't have equipment there are a lot of body weight focused workouts on the internet. I don't think I'd want to workout in a gym space where people aren't wearing masks and even if they are with all the heavy breathing a lot of masks still allow particles through. Outside especially in natural areas it's much safer.

Today I did Cathe Step Blast, 60 minutes, 300 calories, heart rate 120/157, 5,677 steps. I added a bit to it to get 300 calories as the workout length is 55 minutes :) This was a lot of fun,going back to one of the older workouts. I did have to be careful on some of the quick turns because there was a point where my right knee hurt. It let up after I modified some of the turns and twists back and forth across the step.
I then did Perfect 30 Yoga Flow Strength and Flexibility stretch timesaver, 21 minutes, 28 calories, 88 steps. Total time was 81 minutes, 328 calories, 5,765 steps.

Cathy, I hear you on the Fitbit. I was looking at a Withings (Nokia) one on Amazon that is wifi I don't think there is a watch that has as many features as Fit bit. As far as sleep I think Fitbit does well when it works. Mine is working right now. Just other things make me crazy. When I put workouts in that I have not done in a long time, I can see that the Fitbit Versa is way lower on stats than they used to be with the Blaze and Polar. The Withings one does do sleep, but reading the reviews I gathered it did not work as well as Fitbit. Withings looks more like a regular watch. I got my Versa 2 in December last year. So I have dealt with it for almost a year now. Always hoping it will start working right. I have set it back to default and it usually remembers some of my settings when I set it back up. It works better for a little while. I like the notifications for texts because sometimes I do not have my phone in the room with me. I can answer with one of the set phrases. Like" Okay" when my daughter says she is on the way, could I have the children ready to go. It is hard to make the decision to change. I had issues with Polar too. Worse though as I would get heart rates up to 225 and then 0. Which Fitbit do you have? It seems some others have had theirs work okay that are a different model.
I think that a lot of instructors have a white board or something set up with the exercises on it. I have seen Kelly have to get closer to look at hers. I think she wrote it too small or something. Most of the step workouts are not too hard to follow if you have done her dvds. LOL on Cathe's workout clothes. I thought yesterday that she probably likes it when she can get away from the workout outfits once in awhile. She sure has a large variety.

Valerie, it sounds like your cousin is making excuses. There are always other options to get exercise. If I had to I would go outside and walk or jog, but I prefer indoors myself. The rooftop sounds like it might be a good option. Chest straps are so uncomfortable and I was always trying to adjust mine. I contacted Polar so many times and then they told me I needed to change to a new strap every few months. That was weird. I tried theirs with a watch and with the bluetooth monitor. I sure like their app better. Funny the doctor says I have a strong heart beat and the silly Fitbit seems to have a hard time getting it right and sometimes blanks out trying to adjust. I have made some different things in place of a crust. I made a meat pie for family dinner with a recipe I had found for an almond flour crust. It turned out well.

Carolyn, nice work on Step Sync. I ate so much late in the day yesterday, I really wanted to have a good cardio workout.

Diane Sue-Yes, my HD was out of the brand name paper supplies when I worked on Tuesday. They still had some HDX (Home Depot brand) paper towels, but everything else was the off brands that have appeared since the pandemic started. I bought some of the Seventh Generation brand products in the spring and they are awful. I'd never buy them again unless there wasn't anything else available.

Reactions: WD
did a mile and a half on treadmill, 50 knee push ups, 50 tricep push ups. the abs from Ice yesterday.

diane sue, 100% right...he uses any excuse to avoid exercise. he was doing well at his previous condo, going to the gym almost daily and working with a personal trainer. dieting. he lost 30 pounds. since he moved, he has fallen off the wagon. he could walk the track on the roof of the building and workout in his condo. he doesnt. he has regained 10 lbs already. I feel bad for him. he was doing so well and suddenly is derailed. covid will be with us for a long time yet so I agree the HOA should enforce their rules, but it must be hard when adults don't comply. can't exactly throw them in jail! I personally think he wanted to go to his new home feeling and looking his best, and now that he's there some of the incentive is gone. he and his wife have hardly been outside since February. she works from home, he's retired. they made this BFD about moving there so they could walk and ride in warmer drier conditions using cold and wet as an excuse here. Still not happening. I sent them pics from my trip to AZ last fall to hopefully get them out looking around a little.
the condo gym area looked very spacious and uncrowded but I'm not there in person.

Today I did Stacked Sets Lower Body and the Extended Stretch which was 54 minutes and 199 calories burned. My average heart rate was 109 and maximum heart rate was 153.

Cathy, nice job with Sweat Step. I have often wondered about Cathe’s workout wardrobe too. She has such a variety, but it’s probably like anyone else’s work wardrobe. Hers is just much more comfortable! The Fitbit devices are divided into trackers and smart watches. I have the Charge 2, which is a tracker, and I haven’t had any problems with it. I don’t know which device you have, but the Versa 2 and other smart watches are what many seem to complain about. I have no desire to have a smart watch from Fitbit.

Diane Sue, Step Blast is a great workout. It’s nice to revisit the older workouts occasionally.

Valerie, that’s great that you were able to have a Zoom get together with your cousin. It sounds like what’s missing for him is the personal trainer component for his workouts. Some people need that outside motivation to maintain their fitness routine. Hopefully he will get some something going soon.

Hello to Judy, Deb, and Lori.

Carolyn, cousin has always been our "personal improvement project." he never sticks to exercise, goes in full bore for a while and then suddenly loses interest and drops off. he belonged to a private gym a block away from his condo before. this new gym is included in HOA benefits, in the same building. the HOA seems very very aggressive about enforcing everything else. I expect he'd have to hire someone to come in but cant guess what the rules would be for that.

I thought that after moving and changing his whole life around, maybe this was a case of buyers let-down/remorse when things aren't exactly great as you hoped. he took the pandemic seriously, maybe TOO seriously, and has barely been outside since Feb until their drive from WA to AZ. He is an extremely social person and will talk your arm off given half a chance. this might have disrupted a lot of his life. he and wife might take a drive toward Sedona tomorrow so I hope I did some good and motivated them. it is lovely around there but I also recommended do the scenery, a walk, but skip the tourist trap of a town. there are lots of places with ancient pueblos and ruins to look at, so I pics of those. AZ has virus numbers climbing aggressively too.

I do care about him and it is hard to see him slipping back down the rabbit hole.

This morning I did Great Glutes. Skipped the compound exercises and stretch and added the bonus chair and P30 Lying Stretch. Came to 48 minutes and I have a feeling that my glutes and hamstrings will be chatty tomorrow. I did get 42 and 44 minutes of walking at the zoo. Not sure what prompted it to split them. There's a 50 minute break in between where I was still walking. LOL Hoping the walking helped with cutting down on the DOMS.

Diane Sue I have a Charge 3. I ended up ordering a Fit Track Atria 2.0 smartwatch. I have one of their scales. It's a new product, so we'll see, it's got some interesting features. This version isn't available on Amazon, but with the sale, it would likely have been cheaper anyway. Amazon has the older version, but this one has a lot more features. I need to just to Step Blast all the way through soon. I put the combos in my finished step, but not having done the workout itself in a long time is a hindrance.

Dang Valerie 50 tricep pushups! I could with a couple breaks do 50 regular on the knees, but tricep ones kill me by the time I get to a dozen. It's always hard when people close to us struggle with weight and health and there's only so much you can do. With my husband I don't even bother trying now, he's way too determined to NOT do the things he should. sigh

Carolyn great job with the workout!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.