Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/29

Good morning. we are off to do a road ride this morning.
we have a bear mama and cubs visiting our neigborhood. saw pictures of her up a tree yesterday. the photographer was not specific about where she was, which is good. lots of wild area near here and hopefully she won't be harassed and can exit the neighborhood safely. maybe she helped eat our garden although we didn't see any footprints. we have the prettiest black bears here, and lots of them. usually not a problem for anyone.

Judy seems like a lot of people don't feel too well after Shingrix. I got some very minor spot tenderness from the flu shot. sometimes I think sit out/ levitation hold success is related to body proportions, how long your torso and arms are compared to each other. when I see Cathe doing levitation holds...well I wonder. always impossible for me. for sit outs she seems to stay more vertical than I can, as I am hunched over to get my hands to the floor. need DH to observe and se if I'm doing something wrong.

yes Lori, where are you lately?

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout one for 25 minutes and 186 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Valerie, I agree that the sit outs are very difficult. I just do the best that I can, but it certainly doesn’t look like Cathe.

Hello to All and have a great day.

Today I did Jessica Smith Burn Fat and Have Fun: Step and Stride, 189 calories, 3,158 steps, 31 minutes, heart rate average 135, max 174. I was going to do something of hers on YouTube, but it keeps not wanting to load. It did it yesterday too and then I kept having to push the start button on the JS workout to get rid of the stuff on the bottom of the screen. Today it just went to a blank screen. So, I went to Amazon and purchased the second workout in the Have Fun series. There are 3. The third uses a play ball. This one was pretty good. It just used the high step platform and not too many huge upper body movements. I had Physical Therapy this afternoon. I really need to do something for lower body. Maybe tomorrow along with PT exercises. I needed to get some house cleaning done today. After PT my shoulder and neck feel pretty good. I hope it stays that way tonight.
Sleep was not so good last night. Partly my shoulder and a lot my allergies. I just could not get comfortable.

Valerie, it is hard to imagine it being cold :) That is interesting that bears would come that close to where humans live. I felt a bit under the weather today and I am sure it was the Shingrix vaccine. It happened with the last one too. My arm is sore where the injection was. Last time I ran a bit of a fever. I may have today, but did not check. It only lasted a day. I could never do those levitation holds. I tried different hand placement, using two yoga blocks. It just does not work for me.

Carolyn, I keep forgetting that I recently bought Cardio Quick Fix.

It got down into the upper 30's. was not that chill this morning, but even mid 40's gets cold with the wind chill generated at 15 mph. really a huge difference between 70 and 45! we over dressed though and had to stop and peel off some layers.

I read that about Shingrix. still, will get the shots soon.

Bears are not unusual around here. they stay out of sight but some enjoy benefits of being near people, like bird feeders, pet food bowls, and garbage. not good for bears, and a reminder to people to keep their outside areas clean. we have bobcats and a cougar too, though I never saw the cougar. I've seen black bears near here quite a few times, more likely in the rural populated areas because no hunting. the mountain areas are hunted and makes the bears more reclusive.

Bah-humbug on levitation holds. I tried for a long time but there is something that makes them impossible. sit outs are not as bad, but maybe the same forces at work.

Good morning,

No workout to report. We went to agility class last night, but something was not right with Kylee, ( I had to leave the ring during 2 of the runs to take her outside. She was not feeling well. She seems ok today though.

Valerie, are you still in MT? thanks for the info on that weed. I will remember what it looks like, (or some versions) and make sure we try to get at it before it spreads if I see it. Yes, the treadmill works, I did a workout on it last week. I don't even try those levitation holds...and have accepted the fact that when Cathe does those "5 sit ups" turn over to do "5 push ups" I will only be doing 4 of them instead of 5.

Diane Sue, it sounds like there is progress with your PT moves etc. I would also want a CD/DVD drive on any computer I get.

Carolyn, great news on your annual appointment! Total Body Giant Sets is a good workout.

Judy, great that you had those days off in a row! It is really cold and rainy here today, (50's) and is supposed to be even colder tomorrow. ugh....I guess fall is really here.

Lori, yes, where are you?

Take care,

Great you didn't lose the treadmill. Deb we came back a week ago. we are getting ready to go back in a week. we wanted to get our camper back to get skylight fixed and drove back on a dry weather day.

I quit trying levitation holds. maybe my arms are too short? who knows? I tried for a long time. agree on the those fast push ups/ sit ups. I do them all, but a little slower than cathe does. I pause the disk and do them. I think its more important to do them all than to be speedy.

the purslane weed is relentless. we don't know if the seeds overwinter in the soil or if we are adding new seeds every year. we don't get that cold here in winter, and some years the ground never freezes at all so some weeds can survive. the milder climate is nice but there is that downside.

Today I did ICE Chiseled Lower Body Blast and Icy Core 2. Total time was 63 minutes with 378 calories burned. My average heart rate was 124 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Diane Sue, I like both of those JS workouts on the Burn Fat and Have Fun dvd. I haven’t done the one with the ball, but I have done those two many times. I’m glad that you can keep up your cardio although you must be frustrated with not working out at your normal level. It sounds like your PT is going well.

Valerie, it’s hard to think of cold weather right now. We have had days of record setting heat with temperatures in the upper 90’s. Yesterday was 97 and the hottest ever recorded here in October. Levitation holds are never going to happen for me!

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I did not sleep well, but it was more due to coughing and getting into a bad sleep posture on my side that was a problem. I got up and stretched and repositioned myself after getting more water. Felt stiff when I got up, but some stretches and I felt pretty good. I did Jessica Smith YouTube Full Lower Body, legs, butt, thighs, hips, 42 minutes, heart rate average 101, max 131, 106 calories. I really felt that the heart rate was higher than that. I did not use the weights JS used. My calories were lousy. I only used the Fit Bit where I get a better feel for the calorie burns for things other than cardio when I use the Map My Fitness app.. It uses the metabolic scale, so I have to take off some calories for my lighter weight. But, it is usually more accurate for some things. I accidentally left it on stretch/ sculpt when I did one of the Walk Strong workouts the other day and it gave me calories like I was stretching that amount of time, which I found really aggravating. I then did my physical therapy exercises which took 41 minutes, and 49 steps. 74 calories.

Valerie, I think levitation holds are a matter of body mechanics. My the angles of joints or something. I was so sure the first time I did some of those that I would eventually get it right, but never was able to. I know in one of the first one Cathe did them in Brenda kept her feet on the floor and just lifted her back side. You still feel some core tightening. I would rather do something else for abs than that move.

Deb, I think we kind of know when our dogs are not feeling right. Gertie spent an exceptional amount of time outside yesterday afternoon and evening. I kept going out to see what she was doing. Normally it is a quick out and run back to the door to come in. I have learned if I don't make sure she goes out when she wants to, that I may have something all over the carpet in the sun room or in front of the door. I recently had her lose her whole bowl of food all over when I had encouraged her to eat when she didn't seem interested. I should have realized then, there was something wrong. I am glad Kylee is feeling better today.

Carolyn, I watched a preview on youtube of those 3 workouts and the ball one had a lot of swinging a play ball around overhead and in circles quickly. I decided I would wait on that one. But, I really do like the other two.

That has been my feelings toward levitation holds too. I have trouble engaging abs in that position. I cant seem to tell what muscles I need to engage to get the lift move. went on to other things. DH can't do them either. we used Coremax for a long time and neither of us came close to accomplishing that move. sit outs are hard but feel possible I'll improve. maybe they are effective even half way.
no workout yesterday. supposed to rain but forecast was wrong and today its raining.

Today’s workout was ICE Chiseled Upper Body. My time was 42 minutes with 205 calories burned. Average heart rate was 116 and my maximum heart rate was 160.

I was finally able to pick up the new glasses that I ordered two months ago. There was some problem with the supplier and they have been waiting for the frames for weeks. I am still waiting for the second pair. Normally the glasses are ready in 7-10 days.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Good morning,

IKE was neutered yesterday, so the day was mostly trips to the vet, and keeping him comfortable afterwards. He seems to be okay, but they said to watch the incision for any changes. We are supposed to go to a play this afternoon, but I am worried about leaving IKE. He has one of those "Cones of Shame" on, a soft sided one that is definitely more comfortable than those plastic ones, but he tried to get out of it last night so I am not sure I want to leave him.

Valerie, Good job on that spin workout! I hope they fix the skylight correctly this time. I don't think I tried those levitation holds more than once. I am glad we don't see much of purslane....at least it does not look familiar.

Diane Sue, I know it must be frustrating not being able to do the more intense workouts, and seeing a lower calorie burn, but it sounds like the PT may be helping, and going easy on the workouts is probably a good thing.

Carolyn, Are doing the current rotation? It looks like a good one.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care.

Spinning gets my heart rate up like nothing else. my HRM doesn't work very well, or the receiver on the bike electronics don't connect well. it picks the highest heart rate, then the display sits there. I have to re push the HR button, then it takes another reading that's different. so I don't pay much attention. anything calculated would be wrong too. I used Cycle Sweat. it doesn't have the count down timer that I prefer, and I stuck with a shorter premix.
Judy you manage much longer indoor rides than I can handle. the posture gets unpleasant after 45 min so I usually do shorter workouts. I wish I could tilt the seat but it doesn't move that way.

Good call on the collar. much better to prevent IKE from pulling stitches. hope he heals quickly so you can release him from the collar. I always feel badly about putting on a collar but its better than getting stitches pulled out too soon when the wound starts to itch.
I have no clue how common purslane is. its been a problem for us for years. each year is worse, no matter how much I dig or flame. finally got DH to pay attention this year and we started to think we must be causing the problem ourselves with something we are putting into the soil.

I’m taking a rest day today. I really need a good stretching session, but I don’t think that I will get to it. I had my usual Saturday appointments and errands to take care of this morning.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

I did x-train Burn sets ch, sh back, and the ab workout. amazing how heavy cathe goes on some of the moves. 35 lbs? really? I am sticking with 20 or 25. my shoulders are working well. I'm nervous about pushing the envelope too much.

Hi Everyone,

Wednesday I did a 30 minute Peloton Ride, Thursday I did Cathe Trisets Legs Live and yesterday I did Muscle Meltdown Triceps, the premix with 4 rounds. I've been feeling like I'm fighting something the past few days and almost called in sick today. I think it might be fall allergies and working outside this time of year. I spent a lot of time outside last night and was so congested when I got home. I had a hard time sleeping last night because of it.

Deb-The temperature has really dropped here. We had to put our heat on last night. I hope Ike is doing ok and has a quick recovery!

Valerie-Great job with Cycle Sweat! I think that is Cathe's hardest spin workout.
I'm a little concerned about the Shingrix side effects, but I do still plan on getting it soon, probably next week. I am finding that I can't ride the Peloton bike as long as I can my other spin bike. An hour is the longest Peloton ride I've done and I'm not sure I'd want to go longer. Most of their rides are 45 minutes, so that seems to be the most popular length. When I want to do a longer ride I'll probably go back to my old bike and Spinervals.

Diane Sue-I was very frustrated when I was in physical therapy for my low back and I couldn't do the harder workouts I wanted to. I hope you will be able to do more intense workouts soon.

Carolyn-I hope you had a good rest day.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Yesterday I started Kelly's Raw Just Step, but stopped at the boxing moves, not far into it. I just did not want to push since I was doing so well. So I did Jessica Smith Walk Strong and have fun: step and stride, (with the Raw bit) 36 minutes, 216 calories and PT/ stretch for 55 minutes 100 calories. I felt no pain yesterday or pretty much all day the day before and had high hopes of being on my way to being pain free, but I went to the store yesterday afternoon and picked up one of those huge Aquafina packs of water lugging it in and out of the cart just really hit hard. When I got to the car I put it in the back seat as opposed to lifting it up and over into the trunk and backed in and dropped it on the garage floor. So, now I am icing and trying to work it out along with more Advil :( I am so mad at myself. I should have just bought small packs of water. Even if it was more costly.
Today I just did PT and skipped the band pulls. Feeling a bit better tonight, but am worried I might have a sinus problem brewing. The coughing and headache that has added to it reminds me of December when I thought it was allergies and maybe a cold and turned out
to be a sinus infection. I won't wait that long this time. Hopefully the headache and coughing let up.

Deb, I hope Ike does well. I remember using the plastic cone of shame on Mudd when she tore a dew claw. I spent so much time trying to doctor it myself and finally took her to the vet and they cauterized it. A soft one sounds a lot better. Poor Mudd was so uncomfortable and she couldn't get it in the door to her crate without some effort. I wished I would have went to the vet earlier. I kept bandaging it and we would do better till she would get it off and it would start bleeding all over again. I don't blame you for worrying about leaving Ike to go out.

Valerie, I normally can do the sit throughs okay. Not at the moment though. I have been doing that Cycle Sweat premix a bit more lately. I do wish it had the count down on the screen. I like it because it seemed a bit more out of the seat work. Leaning forward on the spin bike can aggravate my shoulder and I have to sit up and hold with one arm to give the other a break right now though. I think the leaning position makes me slouch forward more.

Carolyn, I hope some how you can fit in a stretch.

Judy, the slower paced workouts really are much more doable for me right now. I know eventually I will get back to normal. Maybe it is allergies if you are working outside a lot. The pollen is staying in the moderate to high category here lately. I was hoping for enough rain to lower it, but we only had a brief shower yesterday.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.