Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/29

Good afternoon.

No workout today. I was so tired, all I wanted to do was nap.

Carolyn, nice job on the JS workout. :) . Agree, definitely saved money not having to buy work clothes when I retired. I have not purchased vanilla in a long time. I bet I would have "sticker shock" too at those prices.

Valerie, thanks for the info on the show. I guess it will be one that I will have to miss. The work is complete on the drain/sump pump. That's horrible about your tomato plants and the fence! The deer must have thought they were at a buffet!

Diane Sue, Yes! that is the one I bought. Thanks for the link. I also emailed the seller and they emailed a PDF file of the instructions to me. They said that the warehouse must have missed putting it in the package. I wore it for a while yesterday. It will take some getting used to for sure. It still feels like my shoulders are rounded when it is on, but if I tighten it more, it feels like it will result in chaffing in some spots. I will try it some more, and if it is too uncomfortable, will return it. I hope the neck roll helps you sleep better..

Hi to Jud & Lori,

Take care,

Did Metabolic total body, icy core 1, and the chest muscle meltdown.

Deb if I hear of that series available anywhere I will make note of it and pass the info on. sometimes if programs get awards, they get into other ways of distribution. "Unbelievable" is the name. part of the story was here in WA.

Yes, the deer ate the whole thing!. kale will grow back and winter squash were OK. other stuff was at very end of season so I try to think of it as saving us work. they ate all the loads of stuff we would have had to cut down and haul to the compost. in place, they left compact little pellets!.

wow, money saved by not having a real job!. many many dollars! used to cost me a lot.

Physical therapy tomorrow and errands. Hopefully my doctor will be scheduled this week. My neck and shoulder are so sore!! I think I need the therapist to get it loosened back up.

Deb, I think the posture corrector will take awhile to get used to. I would get used to it first and then think about gradually tightening. I don't think that you are supposed to have it real tight. Really, I spent all day Thursday trying to keep my shoulders back and down and doing squeezing my shoulder blades back every once in awhile like my therapist said I needed to do. I think it made me tighten up my neck too. I realize when shoulders are down and way back to the point of discomfort the front of my shoulder and neck quit hurting. But, all of that tension made the whole area hurt to the point I was heating, icing, and taking more Advil. I shudder at the amount of Advil I have used through all of this. I finished off a bottle of 80 and am now working off a bottle of 40. It has been 10 weeks starting 11 this week since this all started. So, even without the corrector. I am getting discomfort. Today I lightened up my PT skipping the band pulls, rotator cuff side lying, and the lying prone lifting back and down my shoulder while it is hanging off the bed. I felt better till this afternoon. For some reason sitting too long brings on tightness in the shoulders.

Valerie, that is such a shame that the deer ate your garden. Nice of them to leave you pellets! One year my daughter did not get their garden cleared due to events and the flu. My son in law plowed it up and the next year they had plants coming up from all those items that were still there when he did that. No organization to it though. I am surprised the deer did not eat theirs. They put a wire fence around it, but I don't think it would stop them. You can sit out in the porch and watch deer running across their land. They did eat their first crop of fruit off their fruit trees though.

Carolyn, sorry you have had no internet service. That is always frustrating. I think we are going to have to buy my husband a new laptop. His is not that old and we have taken it in once already and spent 175 on it just for them to go through it. They found nothing wrong as it would not do what it did here. Now it is acting up again. I think it is the mouse pad. You move it and touch the bottom under the pad and the screen goes jumping all over and you cannot use the mouse. You cannot do anything but push the shut down button. I hate that, as I think it is 2 years old max.

Good morning,

No workouts....still trying to get organized in the area...it has tons of "stuff" piled around where the workers had to move things to completely re-direct pipes around the basement to the main sewer line.

Valerie, thanks, for keeping a watch on that program. I guess the phrase about "lemons & lemonade" comes to mind on the deer feasting situation.

Diane Sue, I am so sorry about your neck and shoulders still aching etc. That has to be frustrating about your husband's laptop....maybe just try a different mouse?

Carolyn, hope your internet is back!

Hi to Judy & Lori

Take care,

I have PT today and errands. They set my appointment for the 10th so I still have a long wait before I can talk to the doctor about my mri results. If that woman at the mri had not told me they would call I would probably have been in to see the doctor.

Deb, another mouse does not work as the built in one still has the screen jumping around. I hope you can get your things organized and put back right soon. I am sure having the job done is a relief though.

Today I did Athletic Training from LIS. That was 57 minutes and 339 calories burned. My average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 157.

My internet service is still out. The router has to be replaced. We have an appointment Tuesday for someone to come out and replace the router and check out other things. It’s so inconvenient to be without the service.

Hello to everyone.

Deb, yes, lemonade. We can’t compost tomato plants because the leaves get fungal diseases late season so have to move them out of the garden. deer get them anyway. Most of the other plants were “done” . they ate some of the beet tops, but beets are safe in the ground to use as needed. We have trouble with a weed that gets worse every year . With everything “done” we were able to flame the entire surface. we plant a cover crop in late fall and we are thinking its contaminated with the weed seed that gives us so much grief. called purslane.

hope your drainage issues are fixed and done. we have had issues at both houses, but think its taken care of now. Hoping!
diane sue does it have a touchscreen to avoid the mouse? virus protection? We use Norton . DH just had a problem with a virus that made his screen "jump" all over. Got help thru Norton and had to add a new extra anti- virus add on. Had to sit on the phone with them but got it fixed. I think CS was included so no extra charge.
will be interesting to

Sunny today but cold. it went from summer to fall. time to get out the woolies.

Carolyn, it is so inconvenient when you find yourself waiting to get your internet back. We went through that once and had to upgrade the router/ modem. We chose one at Best Buy that was on their list to purchase. I think because we did not buy from them, they were being stubborn about letting the service guy mess with it when we could not get it set online or by calling them. It took a supervisor from the contractor to call and tell the cable company that they had to do it. Poor guy was here for hours trying to troubleshoot. I ended up paying for two visits to get the problem corrected.

Valerie, it does have touch screen, but it does not override the jumping screen. It started shutting itself down last night. It is so irritating since this was the top of the line Samsung laptop. Even they guy that I took it to the last time was commenting on how "good" it was. Hmm!! We use Avast. My husband had added other Avast programs to his service and then the Service place we use added a clean up program while he was going over it.

Good morning,

No workout to report. Still need to work more on the basement.

Diane Sue, hope your PT went well yesterday. I forgot that laptops have a built in mouse. Valerie may have hit on something...maybe it is a virus?

Carolyn, sorry about the internet service. Maybe a dumb question: How are you posting here?

Valerie, never heard of that weed, it sounds horrible. I thought bamboo was the worst you could have. We won't be 100% sure of the drainage issue until we get a huge downpour like one that started the whole thing, but I am pretty confident that it will be okay.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Yesterday they changed some exercises and added some new ones that are more strength based. I knew when I was done that I was going to hurt. I came home and took 1 Advil and iced. I did some stretching later. I did not fair too bad. I only took one Advil when I went to bed and rubbed BioFreeze on. I used my knew Mckenzie neck roll inside my pillow case last night. I woke stiff and sore, but it has loosened up after lying on the foam roller lengthwise, rolling and some neck stretches. I am amazed my shoulder is not throbbing, so that is a plus. I was a bit worried as I had to stand in a door frame with my hands on the door frame and walk out and hold for 30 seconds 3 times and I had to do a sort of leaning on the table plank move and turn raising 1 arm up (like we do in stretches) 10 times. I am going to go get my other Shingrix vaccine after I do my exercises.

Deb, when we took the laptop in and it was doing the same thing before, they looked for a virus and there was none. My husband is working on backing everything up when he can get the computer to run right. This is an intermittent problem. I had wondered if it was the fact it had one of those fold back screens or something and it had a wire loose. My husband does not fold it back though. But, he says it does it a lot of the time when he picks it up and puts pressure under where the mouse pad is.

Valerie, do you use the beet greens? I have tried them in green smoothies and cooking them, but have never cared for the kind of earthy taste. I bought beets and cooked them in the instant pot and have been eating them all week.

:

the above is purslane. more than anyone ever wanted to know! people grow it intentionally. it is edible. it is so overwhelming... the last place I want to see it..... is in my kitchen. I have been fighting it for years and even though I try to eradicate it , it seems to come back worse every year. we try to be organic gardeners and not use chemical weed killers or chemical fertilizers. I hand dig the purslane or flame it with a torch. it occurred to me that maybe the seeds were being replanted every year from either organic fertilizer or in our winter cover crop. a cover crop is an easily killed annual plant that covers the soil surface during winter rains and can be tilled into the dirt in spring. some are nitrogen fixers too. this fall we used two different cover crops and if one area gets purslane and the other doesn't, we will have an idea where its coming from. I have removed every trace of it for several years now and each year it returns with a vengeance.

we loaded/unloaded a bunch of wood yesterday so that was my workout.

diane sue, I don't eat beet greens. I could... but they get tattered and dirty and chewed on by insects. I usually grow swiss chard, kale, spinach and sometimes collards. I use those for greens. this is the second year I grew beets. I would have to put landscape fabric over the beet tops to keep them cleaner if I was going to eat them. I like beets especially golden ones, but its a new vegetable for me. I've only used it for the last 2-3 years. first experience was canned or sweet/sour concoctions. I never liked them until I tried them roasted plain with a little olive oil. I don't like "sweet" much, and my mother made vegetables overwhelmingly sweet. I gradually re tried them, and most vegies are good if cooked properly.

we haven't had a laptop in several years. when they stopped including a disk drive as standard we didn't get another. a tablet is easier.

plan on flu shot today but delaying shingrix until we talk to the medicare person in 2 weeks. if I change coverage, I think it's covered whereas the advantage plan I'm on does not. and its a couple hundred dollars for the series. diane sue, was yours get covered?

Deb, have you had a chance to see if your treadmill still works? Did you lose much else to water damage?

Last edited:
Valerie, I paid out of pocket 69.82 for each Shingrix dose. I have the plan G mutual of Omaha supplement. They offered to give me my flu shot while I was there, but I did not want a vaccine in my problem arm as they said they could do shingrix in one arm and the flu shot in the other. Also I prefer to wait till around the end of October. I want the flu shot be work through the entire flu season. I also am hoping to get my husband in with me. Sometimes he gets one at work though, if he is there when they are giving them out. I am not sure how his PPO plan is on the flu vaccine though. I didn't have to pay for him when we went to our dr office together to get it before. He has a pretty high deductible and copays, so I don't know how that works. The city has their own clinic that will do well checks and things like flu shots and common ailments at no charge. That is to keep the insurance costs down. I don't see it doing that though. He could go there, but won't. Anyway, I will try to get him in with me. It isn't that much for a flu shot anyway.
My new HP laptop has a TB of memory and has the disk drive that I can put my CD's in. It is windows 10 I like the new Microsoft Edge browser as well. I am quite pleased with it so far. My husband was asking me if I used the disk drive as he said he didn't see a need. I like having it and I sometimes preview workouts in it while doing things in the kitchen and it is hand when I am out of town with my laptop. Preferable to downloads to me. It is fairly large at 17 inch screen, but I like that as well. If I want to use it to play videos, it isn't dinky.

I want my flu shot right away since we will travel more this month. I would not get it the same day as shingrix. Think shingrix will be early 2020. Then I’ll get it regardless of cost. In better supply this year.

Good to know laptops are still available with disk drive. We used to use one to watch movies traveling in the camper but when the last one died we didn’t see any with disk drives. Guess we stopped looking after. I’d rather have dvds that go easily from place to place.

Today I did Total Body Giant Sets, no round 5 premix. My time was 49 minutes with 243 calories burned. Average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 146. I had my annual appointment with my oncologist this morning and everything was fine.

The Comcast technician just left and my internet service is working again! He was here for over 2 hours. He had to replace some equipment and replace some connections.

Deb, I was posting from my cell phone using my data.

Diane Sue, your flu shot shot be fully covered. At least that’s the case here. I tried eating the beet greens in smoothies, but I didn’t care for them. Now I just use the bottoms.

Valerie, my co-pay was $45.00 for each Shingrix vaccination. I got the flu shot the same day with no problems. I had some swelling near the injection site and a red rash in that area that lasted a couple of days. Next month I will go back for a pneumonia vaccine and I should be done with immunizations.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

It seems like everyone has a different charge for Shingrix. because of the pacer, I don't get injections in my left arm and I don't want two injections on the same arm the same day. I got my flu vaccine this afternoon along with shopping, and getting my winter tires put on. yes, its that time of year already. DH went along, got his flu shot too.

Carolyn good your system is up and running again. its sobering to see how dependent we are on our online connection. good for you doing the unpleasant follow up. I don't like cardiology visits but I go every 6 months.

got my hair done this morning and before that I did Rev'd up rumble and the ab workout. I still struggle with the darn sit outs. I do 10 of them but they are still very awkward for me. I keep meaning to have DH watch me to see if I am doing something wrong but he is always outside somewhere when it comes up.

I forgot to post my workout this morning.

Today I did Power Walk with Jessica Smith from YouTube, 33 minutes, 180 calories, 2,844 steps, heart rate average 125, max 158. I also did PT exercises for 35 minutes and 46 calories. I go to PT tomorrow afternoon.
I went out and got my 2nd Shingrix vaccine this morning.

Valerie, another reason I did not want the flu shot is he mentioned doing it in the opposite arm as the shingrix and I did not want to do that to my right arm. Also the Shingrix vaccine kind of leaves my arm sore by itself.

Carolyn, Walgreens had given me a quote of 80 dollars for the Shingrix vaccine when I called them. I am glad that you got your internet back up and running. We sure rely on it a lot.

I'm not sure how much Shingrix is here but I think our insurance covers it. I still plan on getting mine soon.

I worked all weekend but am off until Friday. It's so nice to have 4 days in a row off. I've been getting caught up on cleaning and laundry and workouts. Yesterday I did a 1 hour Peloton Ride and this morning I did Turbo Barre. I also did a 10 minute Peloton arm workout. I have a hair appointment Thursday, then back to work Friday afternoon.

Deb-I like that posture corrector. I might have to look at getting one too. The weather is crazy here this week! It was over 90 degrees today! It looks like it will cool off tomorrow but still warmer than normal.

Valerie-Those sit-outs are tough for me too. I need to work on them. I'm sorry about the deer eating your garden.

Carolyn-I'm glad your internet is working again. That's great that your doctor appointment went well.

Diane Sue-one of my co-workers had the flu shot and shingrix in the same day and she felt really bad afterwards. I wouldn't want them too close together. I got my flu shot last week, I usually get them in mid September but you are probably right about waiting a little longer. It seems like they started giving them in August here and I thought that was way too early.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.