Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/22

I got side tracked.

Judy, nice work with the boss bands and Peloton workouts. I liked the Total Body workout. I used most of what Cathe did, but that double band portion was tough or biceps. Part of it I think was my arthritis in my hands though and the front curls was uncomfortable pulling on my thumb joints. I am hoping to get some new lifting gloves and at least I will have some padding. I did it without the gloves. I didn't get the lower body one yet. I will probably get it when I get back from vacation if I can purchase it by itself.

Cathy, I heard that about the lower body loop band workout not giving time for a band switch. It gets weird shopping as I will go to the store and there will be certain areas really low on merchandise. It changes areas though. So far paper goods has been fine. When I order from Whole Foods the last couple of times they have limited some things I usually purchase. I tried to add a couple of things to my order a day ahead of time that I forgot (just two items) and they said because of demand I would have to do another order which did not make sense. They also limited my Kombucha to 2 bottles. I don't know if it is areas where their shipments are coming from or an increase of shoppers. I am low on a lot right now and we are leaving town for a few days so hopefully I can restock when I get back.

No workout today as I had an appointment. Our local school had their first day today, and most of the schools around here started this week. Used to be we were an after Labor Day no exceptions state, but the state kept wanting to add days in the year and no one wanted to go weeks into June, so they said schools could petition individually for permission to start early. Then (I think Nick's freshman year) we had what I affectionally call the winter from hell. Christmas break was extended in both directions because of snow, and we continued to have weeks where we were lucky to go 2-3 days. The state allowed for either 6-7 snow days, but we ran out of those and ended up having to add more than a week to our school year. Got out June 18, Derek's birthday and he was not amused. At that point, our school also switched to starting early. A lot of schools in Michigan still don't have air conditioning, so either way going in August or weeks into June is not a plus. Our school here is still two semesters and NMU is still two semesters. I know some high schools are split into more, but I think a lot are still two.

Diane Sue always frustrating to start a workout and find out you hate it. Great job figuring out something else that worked for you! Glad your Grandson is feeling better. Enjoy your trip.

Carolyn, great job with Cardio Quick Fix!

This morning I did Pyramid Lower Body, up only premix. My time was 44 minutes with 137 calories burned. Average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate was 143.

Diane Sue, I hope that you have a wonderful vacation.

Hello to Valerie, Cathy, and Judy. Have a great day everyone.

I was back at costco wednesday. they had toilet paper back again. :) not a lot of it, limited to one bale per customer. some other things had quantity limits like premier protein drink. so awful tasting. I bought a small package of it at a regular store and was amazed at how bad it was. gave the rest of it away. people buy it by the case. WW people use it a lot. I expected to like it, but not a chance in the world. other things were limited somewhat but it didn't seem like the panic buying of last spring. Good.

maybe the school/summer vacation dates were set for the local farming schedule. something else that has changed is "snow days". hardly ever happened back in the "old days". now it seems to be frequent. we mostly walked to school. generally we lived pretty close to neighborhood schools so snow was not something that kept us home often.

diane sue have a good vacation.

This morning I did P30 Low Impact Hiit and then I went and walked to the zoo. So nice now that schools are open again and there is hardly anyone there. Plenty of times when I had no one in sight! Two hours and 10,253 steps. Was looking at the GPS map of my hike and it's crazy wrong. Has a long straight line at one point where it would be impossible for me to have walked. LOL I'll take all that with a big grain of salt!

Valerie the snow days here really come and go. Last winter really wasn't bad at all. We can have a winter with a lot followed by one with hardly any. When I was a kid, in the neighboring school district, we had blizzards in '67 and '78 that had us in for quite awhile, plus a week long ice storm at one point. Other than that I only remember having a couple a year. And when I was in elementary school, they still had enough kids in the town that they could get enough there to have school and the buses just didn't pick us up in the country. We had a month long mud fest on our road when I was in 6th grade. The whole stretch of our road (2-3 miles) went out and everyone had to walk up to the highway to catch the bus. My sister was in kindergarten and my Mom didn't send her. We lived probably 3/4 mile from the corner and my brother and I would walk up to the farm there and we'd all play on the hay mounds in the barn till the bus came. They had a rather nasty billy goat we had to avoid and one time the darn thing chased us to the bus and tried to climb in after us! My brother and his wife work for one of the wealthiest school districts in the area and he commented recently that there wouldn't be snow days for them anymore because all the kids had laptops now, yeah that's not the case everywhere. Our school district has kids without devices and without internet.

Carolyn great job with PLB!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did an outdoor walk-run (mostly walk with the heat we are having) for 55 minutes. This morning I did Cathe Live #358 Kick box Express then Muscle Meltdown Triceps and 10 minutes of Peloton Core work. I loved the Live kick box workout. It was really fun and only 35 minutes. This afternoon I did a 20 minute outdoor walk and a 30 minute Peloton ride.

Diane Sue-I thought the biceps section was the toughest part of the workout. I only used the heavy band, trying to do it with the double bands was too uncomfortable for me.
I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Quick Fix, workout one and Pyramid Lower Body, up only premix.

Valerie-Air conditioning was unheard of in all of my schools too. I graduated high school in 1981 and I remember students occasionally passing out or getting sick from the heat.

Cathy-Nice job with P30 Low Impact Hiit and all the steps at the zoo.

I did stacked upper body and abs#2 today.

air conditioning is so ubiquitous now... hard to imagine how rare it was back then, at least in the midwest. I did not see air conditioning in a car until I was visiting in california in around 1969. Im sure it was available but must have been considered "luxury". wow. what a wonderful thing! my grade school and junior high were new buildings then but no air. my high school building was ancient even back then and I remember us opening the huge tall windows to get some air. grocery stores were air conditioned even then. it was odd to visit back there and see that the distances were not what I thought they were. I graduated in 1965. I had to take a city bus to get to the high school. grade/ junior were walking distance.... cathy, no goat factor involved ! judy that is upsetting. I don't remember people passing out but it did get very uncomfortable. stifling. it was very crowded junior high thru high school, facilities not up to the crush of baby boomer kids after WWII. we ate lunch in shifts so everyone could get in and out in allotted time. lunch was a gulp and go affair. cafeteria had to handle 4 shifts of kids during lunch "hour".

it's presumptuous to think every kid has a good computer and unlimited access. nice if it were true, but its not. its not that simple. getting to a library or other public access is still challenging. as a kid I had to walk everywhere if I wanted to go. my parents were not wealthy or smart.

Last edited:
This morning I did live PHA Supersets. Can't say I loved it, but I did it. LOL Majority of stuff, I used the same weights as Cathe, but had to adjust a few down. Didn't help that it's really humid here right now.

High school I went to was built new somewhere around 1970 and had some areas air-conditioned. Not enough though. It was fairly sprawling, including a domed gym, and quite a bit of light. Nice change from the middle school which was built in the 1910's, brick with 3 floors, half levels and a basement. Had gym in the basement in the same space we ate lunch. Though we would at times use the gym or go outside. The gym was also a fairly large auditorium, so you always hoped that no-one lost control so much during a game that they went flying off into the seats. I think it took the full three years I was there just to figure out where the heck everything was located. Oh, and we had the pool, so once the new high school was built (that had been the old high school, and I seriously don't know where the middle school had been) the middle school had a pool and the high school didn't. Sometime around 20 years ago they built a new middle school and put a huge pool, plus a warm water pool there. Pool is used by the community and the hospital uses the warm pool for rehab. And while some of it sounds good, it's a seriously screwed up school district, with the board continuing to make the same mistakes over and over that they were making in the 70's even though board members have come and gone.

Judy great job with the Kickbox Express, triceps and core workouts. I that's the workout earlier in the week and it is a really fun one!

Valerie great job with Stacked upper body and abs!

Today’s workout was Cardio Supersets. That was 41 minutes and 263 calories burned. Average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 165. I went to Costco for paper products and some other items, but didn’t get paper towels. They only had their Kirkland brand and I didn’t want that. I bought the Kirkland toilet paper last year during the shortage and we hated it. I’ll see how things look next week.

Valerie, you are exactly right about the school calendar. It was set up for the agriculture seasons and has never really changed. A few schools have tried some creative options over the years, but nothing really sticks. It’s hard when one or two schools within the district have one schedule and everyone else is on a standard school calendar. Nice work with Stacked Sets Upper Body and Abs 2.

Cathy, great job with P30 Low Impact HiiT, walking at the zoo, and PHA Supersets. Snow days/weather days will be limited now that schools have figured out virtual schooling. It was rough last year because many did not have the technology or internet access. They are still working that out, but the districts now make sure that every student has a laptop or iPad.

Judy, great job with the outdoor walk/run, Live Kickboxing Express, Muscle Meltdown Triceps, and Peloton Core. You are doing great with working in more outdoor runs.

Hello to Diane Sue.

Today I am taking a rest day. I thought about doing High Reps, but then decided against it. I went to the farmer’s market and picked up some nice produce. I’m planning on a relaxing afternoon.

Hello to All and have a wonderful day.

I had some farmers in my family and so I know about kids being valuable for crops, especially harvesting. sure didn't apply to most of us! Too hot and humid in the summer closed in non air co0nditioned building, and it helped for vacations to have many people on similar schedules.

I did the yoga relax workout yesterday, actually did it twice this week. the bursitis revved back up yesterday so staying away from the elliptical. riding seems Ok so will continue to do that.

thought we would do a hike at a state park this morning. we realized our park pass expired at end of july but always was parking outside the park perimeter. so drove all the way there only to find they changed the park boundaries and now there is no parking along the edge. I could kick myself( ourselves). I had mentioned renewing the pass a week ago but DH didnt want to because we dont plan on being here in fall, and would renew when we got back from MT. so wasted drive and no hike. used this park for decades and always have a pass so I know they enforce the rules so did not want to park and get a ticket.

Did my Finished Combo workout this morning. Only thing that gets me with that is that there are a lot of similar moves and with no breakdown I sometimes try to do the wrong variation. LOL We are on I don't know why day of high heat warnings. I think tomorrow should be the last and within a couple days were going to be in the 70's for highs. Yay!

Carolyn great job with Cardio SuperSets! I know there are places that can easily go virtual for school, but that's not hear or a lot of other places in Michigan.

Valerie that is frustrating, not only about the pass, but the change in parking. Sorry the bursitis is acting up again.

I think DH has lost it. He's playing Madonna (which I don't mind) but is way out of his normal sphere. Going to go look out the window and see if pigs are also flying.

Did train burn sets bi”s and tri”s and core . Increased weight to 15 on s lot of moves from 12. Walked up and down hill in our yard for some walking. Taking some NSAIDS for this to hopefully settle it down. I had it once before from some PT work I was doing. Usually don’t. Get bursitis. Not enjoying this.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.