Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/22

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. yesterday did a short premix from x train ch, ba, sh. drizzling this morning so no ride as planned and will do time on the elliptical and finish up the x train workout. I have moved back into doing many of the push ups on my toes. tomorrow I have medical appts so might not get in workout time.

just as a warning, we are back to requiring masks in public places and toilet paper was all gone from store shelves. I am increasingly angry with the supposed adults who won't cooperate and have sent us all back to this mess. I am not a tp hoarder but it was on my routine shopping list. when I open the last 8 [pack, I usually buy another "bale". just FYI. other things might end up bought out so check your supplies and don't get too low expecting regular full shelves. that was the only thing I noticed that wasn't available .

Hello Ladies. This morning I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice 18 minutes. As always, it’s a gentle wake up stretching and mobility practice which really feels good.

Valerie, nice job with the XTrain workout yesterday. It’s crazy that people immediately started to hoard toilet paper. I don’t expect a repeat of the shortages that we saw last year but logic doesn’t always rule with human behavior.

Diane Sue, great job with your workout yesterday. I like to get some foods prepared in advance so that I can concentrate on other things. It helps me avoid feeling stressed which I can do easily.

Hello to Judy and Cathy. Have a nice day everyone.

I'm back and have spent part of the day reorganizing the kitchen. The Nick pretty much gone now except for visits and Derek gone until breaks, I figured it was a good time to reassess my use of spaces. Plus there are things that I need to use up that get hidden when there is food for four people being stored instead of two. And I have all those ingredients that were bought for A specific recipe that are just sitting there and I need to figure out what to do with them.

My new workouts arrived Friday, of course while I was gone. LOL Did the total body one this morning and they have a very different feel to them, with lots of new moves. We'll see how muscles feel tomorrow. Since that one includes legs and glutes, I won't do the other workout will at least Tuesday. I'm also going to wear my gloves in the future. Some moves are rough on bare hands, at least I thought so. Hoping they put up the link for the info booklet soon. I do love the background for this set, and I sure wouldn't mind having a cabin with that view!

When I took Derek up on Thursday, after he moved in and we'd eat supper, we went out to hike along Dead River Falls (no idea why it's name that as there is a gorgeous line of small falls all along it.) It's pretty much right adjacent to town, but I've never done it before and honestly, I don't think I'd attempt it alone. Though Derek did the first time he went. Not sad that with no car, he can only go adventuring with a friend this year. I'll try to attach some pics below. It is not an easy hike. Mainly tree roots, slabs of rock interspersed with loose sand and lots of ups and downs. Probably the most adventurous hike I've done.

On Friday, we drove down to Green Bay and went to the zoo. Nice enough for a small zoo and we saw some fun stuff. Used his dining card to get smoothies when we got back and then I hugged him goodbye and said I'd see him at Thanksgiving. Since I'm going to my sisters at some point this fall, I don't think I'll be going up before then, and if something happens and I need to, I can just do a quick one day trip.

Drove straight back yesterday and got some things done last night to reorganize with the boys gone. When they were home from college they pretty much just pile up the stuff they bring home and leave it there until they go again. So more space now!

Valerie I'm continuing to see more people masking here, but it's still a minority and we haven't really had anything new put in place. Still the standard, mask if you aren't vaccinated and no one is masking especially the unvaccinated. I didn't see a run on anything when I shopped last week, we'll see how it is on Tuesday.

So weird. I was trying to use my phone to add pics and couldn't remember my password. It's automatically in my laptop and iPad. Well sort of iPad. Finally it locked me out. Tried to use my iPad (which oddly enough will let me in my OnDemand-must have a different password), to get a new one and it sends the message to my email with a log in name that Derek used 10+ years ago, then I tried a different way and it gave me a super old email option to that I haven't used in 10+ years, but like OnDemand, it's letting me continue to use it with my laptop. Hoping to get it straightened out, but because the two options that it brings up when I try to contact them are ancient, that won't work. So strange. How the heck many things could I have! LOL

Today I did CDorner Mobility Stretch for tight and sore muscles. That is it for now.

Valerie, nice job on the workout.

Carolyn, I like getting some sort of stretch or mobility in on my rest day. Just gets the stiffness out.

Cathy, that sounds like one of those things that will be a real pain getting sorted out. I hope it goes easy for you. My my back and low back was sore today after doing just the core timesaver with the boss bands. I needed the stretch this morning.

Today I did Afterburn, intervals 1-5. That was 33 minutes and 182 calories burned. Average heart rate was 120 and maximum heart rate was 156. Then I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Evening practice for 29 days and 40 calories burned. This is a slow total body yoga practice that uses a chair and yoga strap. It’s sort of a restorative type yoga practice.

Cathy, glad that you made it back after a good weekend trip. I understand the need to organize your kitchen. It makes a big difference with just two people in the house. I hope you have your phone back after being locked out. That’s a frustrating and time consuming task.

Dianne Sue, nice job with your mobility stretch.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

I finished the x train ch,ba, sh workout last night, redid warm up, push ups. had done 10 on the elliptical, and then finished the workout adding in the ab workout. I have bursitis in my right hip making some things not comfortable to do. riding is Ok but walking and stairs aren't good. I've had bursitis before. doing things that make it hurt are not a good idea. doing some stretching and may take a couple days off.
cathy we had to readjust the kitchen storage with the new cooktop. the electrical connection is on the opposite side of the unit from the previous one, so a big electrical conduit takes up more space.

Changes in cooking since we both do WW. I bake less, fewer cheesy baked things. lots of pans I don't use now. probably similar to adjusting from 4 people to two. you will still have the boys there part of the time, and eventually they may start families or at least show up with girlfriends, adding people to the mix. you might need to re adapt often! I have enough room where I can store things I'm not sure about, rather than donating immediately. I dont want to re-buy! we can recycle appliances here but want to have a full load before we head there.

cathy our state mask mandate went into effect today. it helps with compliance but its never perfect.

This morning I did Kickbox Hiit Express and followed it up with Mobility. Got an email to reset my password, but it's from an account that was only used a short time like 10+ years ago. I can get into the forum and OnDemand with saved passwords in my laptop and iPad, so I'm just going to roll with that. Afraid if I try to do something different, it'll wipe out the account that has all my years of stuff in it.

Diane Sue, nice job with the Mobility stretch, sometimes that is just the thing you need!

Carolyn great job with AfterBurn and yoga!

Valerie sorry to hear you are having issues with bursitis. Hope it's feeling better soon. Great job with the workout last night. Derek will still be home for breaks and next summer, but I'm not expecting Nick back except for short visits from here on out and he'll be in TX for at least two years.

Just heard from Derek that he had his first normal feeling college lecture. Said the prof was pretty no nonsense about the mask rule. Hopefully the rest of the profs are, too.

I took a cue from diane sue and did cathes yoga workout. I bought it for DH but he doesn't use it. he is really tight and could use some stretching but I cant force him. I have problems from being too flexible in some areas so I keep my mouth shut. I grabbed yoga instead of mobility one. I may use those for a few days. dont know what caused the issue but it seems to be easing off. we will road ride today since riding seems to be Ok and should get some comfortable motion and circulation to the area. my cardiology appt went fine yesterday as I expected. always a little stressful before. even the drive was easy, and sometimes it can be a real nasty one if there are issues during morning rush that havent been sorted out yet.

cathy good news for your son. "some governors" of "some states" do their utmost to make things difficult for educators, employers, health care, restaurant workers who are trying to do their jobs. wish I had some advice on how to sort out the password fiasco. I found that an old google gmail account I seldom used was trouble. it was not active but when I tried to revive it, it didn't work because my current email hadn't changed, it would not let me access anything. luckily no information there, but probably can forget using gmail in the future.

This morning I did Pyramid Upper Body, up only premix. My time was 48 minutes with 238 calories burned. Average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 155.

Cathy, nice job with Kickboxing HiiT Express and Mobility. That’s great that Derek’s professor is trying to keep everyone safe. Hopefully that attitude will carry over to his other classes.

Valerie, I hope that the Yoga Relax is helpful with your hip pain. That’s good news with your successful cardiology appointment.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue.

We did the road ride we planned this morning, 2 hrs 10 minutes. happily, it really helped my hip pain! I took a couple advil on the drive there, and after riding the discomfort is almost entirely gone. I thought riding would sort of exercise the area without the motion that was so unpleasant. discomfort was mainly climbing motion, up stairs and the elliptical. I need to be sensible and not overdo since I don't have a clue why it started bothering me to begin with.

we rode the farming area we ride regularly. when I was shopping a couple days ago, I came across carrots from "ralph's green house". its a small organic farm that happens to be on our riding route. its the first time I saw a product specifically from a farm I recognized. we get a lot of produce from the general area, the skagit valley. very rich farming area.

Last night I did a 30 minute Peloton ride and 10 minutes of arm work. This morning I did 1 hour of walking and running outside. This afternoon I did Boss Bands Total Body. I like the bands and the workout a lot. It reminds me a little of Travel Fit.

Carolyn-Great job with Afterburn, Jane Adams Yoga and the Pyramid Upper Body premix.

Valerie-That's good that your cardiology appointment went well. I'm glad your hip pain is better too.

Cathy-Great job with Kickbox Hiit Express.

Woke up extra early (I decided to take a week off from alarms and so far in 3 days haven't made it past 5:30, today was before 4) so I worked out before I went shopping. I did the new band workout for Glutes and Core. The only thing I didn't like is that in a couple places there minimal and in one place, no transition to the band. After the warm up, they immediately have their bands on and start exercising. Next time I'll be more prepared for that. Curious to see if I feel it tomorrow. The Total Body one didn't get me sore anywhere, but I was also adjusting to new moves so wasn't always on full go mode.There are some moves where you have to find the right spot for the band. I think this one is my favorite of the two. While in the total body one all three bands are used, in the Glutes and Core one only the light an medium are used. We'll see if I ever use the blue one. In my set of latex bands, I never used the blue ones at all.

Picked up a pack of TP today. Whole Foods had very little, but Meijer, while not having completely full shelves, still had a lot. Also, bought a larger than normal case of canned food for HRH Princess Shadow, the finickiest feral that ever lived. Shelves were nearly picked clean of canned cat food, same thing happened last year, but there was never a noticeable shortage of dry cat food, which seems odd.

NMU updated their mask policy after less than a day of classes, to masks for everyone indoors on campus. Apparently, Marquette has had their risk level go up a notch. No surprise with kids coming back from all over the country. As of today they have 72% of those who go on campus vaccinated, so hopefully that helps.

Valerie that's fantastic that your pain is gone! And that you got a nice long ride in today. And yeah one of my son's is in the land of insane governor, but at least his college is mandating masks for everyone. He taught his first class today and dealt with his first, I can't be in class because...email.

Carolyn great job with the PUB Up Mix!

Judy great job on the Peloton workouts, and the new Total Body Bands workout! When you do the other one, just know that immediately after warm up you'll need your green band on so have it handy.

I started CDorner Kickboxing that she had posted today. It must be an older one as it is before her new flooring. I hated it and after 11 minutes, 60 calories, heart rate 132/154, I stopped. I went back and looked and did the Kickbox workout from two weeks ago, 44 minutes, heart rate 125/159( I used the strength setting by accident) 199 calories. I am not sure if the strength setting made a difference in results previously I burned 242 calories. In fact most have been around the same calorie burn for around 40-45 minutes. I finished with today's mobility workout which was another older one. More active than the last one and mostly lower body stuff, 31 minutes, heart rate 98/110, 82 calories. I kept having to stop so the estimated steps total was 4,349 , 341 calories, 76 minutes. I got woke up when my watch picked up on a phone call twice this morning. I glanced once and thought it was just one of those calls that I never answer. The second time I got up and looked at my phone and it was my daughter. My grandson was not feeling well. I ended up getting dressed and going to his school to pick him up. Wore my mask, but they did not even have me come inside the door. I talked through the speaker, they bought out a clip board to sign him out and checked my id and then sent him out. My daughter teaches there and told them ahead I was coming. Anyway, it took me awhile to get back to where I was ready to workout and lots of interruptions so it just sort of happened. The stretch was pretty active mobility through a lot of it. Not holding stretches long as you moved through a series of moves repeating. I probably should have rolled, but I did do my shoulder opening stretches and neck stretches. Funny, she says no one is looking so do this and does the double chin chin tuck and push out. I thought it was funny as I had to do that every day at pt in front of everyone.
Tomorrow I will be packing things up to go out of town and getting Gerties things together so my grandson can get her. I had planned on doing some of it today, but did not get much done. I had stuck the things I had laid out in my suitcase and my grandson stood on it. I had a box of coffee packets and collagen creamer packets that got mushed. Oh well, still usable :)

This morning I did Cardio Quick Fix, workout one, for 25 minutes and 198 calories burned. My average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate was 166. I had my virtual WW today so I wanted a short cardio workout.

Valerie, nice job with the 2 hour 10 minutes road ride. That’s wonderful that it helped your hip pain.

Judy, great job with the Peloton ride, arm work, outdoor walking/running, and Boss Bands Total Body.

Cathy, I still wake up early without an alarm and it’s been 5 1/2 years since I retired. I don’t mind since I am a morning person.

Diane Sue, good job with CDorner Kickboxing and mobility workout. I hope that your grandson is feeling better today.

Have a great day everyone.

we mt biked this morning. very nice out. trails are incredibly dry. just under 2 hours riding. these rides are WAY more difficult than road riding at least the uphill part is. road riding is a more consistent lower level burn, while mt biking is intensely hard , and then easy, back and forth. my hip discomfort reactivated somewhat this morning but not as bad as it was . the downhill is not a big calorie burner but is the fun part. the computer on my bike is not working right. not sure if its the battery or something else. didnt even get mph, or miles ridden
Carolyn as I got older I lost the ability to sleep in. I wake up around 4 am most mornings. in summer when it's light especially. it gets light, I wake up.

hope your grandson is Ok. they are in school now?? I always think school starts after labor day. nothing is going here yet, mostly I know because I don't hear the school bus go by.. then cathy's son is in class too now, so I guess I'm outdated.

Last edited:
my school days were long ago! we operated on the semester system, 2 per year. sept to jan and jan thru first week in june. even college then was semesters. I think things are mostly quarters now. at any rate, school started right after labor day then, at least in wisconsin. this is the 50's and 60's. air conditioning was unheard of. summer weather was rough in a closed building! I'm not sure when school starts here in WA. no kids, never paid much attention. I think it starts before labor day this year but not sure how much is related to covid and being closed last year, and a lot of snow days versus "normal" start time.

Today I woke up so stiff and sore. I guess the bands and kickboxing did their job. I feel much better now and did a bit lighter workout. No strength work today. I did CDorner Step Aerobics basic intermediate #140 that she did live this morning. It was simple and I got a good workout out of it. Kind of fuzzy though. She is still having problems and said she was going to be only doing it on facebook and would let people know when she does it. I gather she is paying to be able to stream to 2 sources. She said she is not paying anymore. Whatever that means. I don't use facebook anymore so no problem here. The music seemed a bit off as well. Still a good workout. 50 minutes, heart rate 136/165, 258 calories, 4,375 steps. I think it says it started at 12 which is 11 for me. I also did 30 minutes moving cardio mobility, 91/108 heart rate, 65 calories, 287 steps. Total time today was 80 minutes, 323 calories, 4,662 steps.

Carolyn, I am hoping to do a short workout in the morning before I get things loaded up to leave. I love Cardio Quick Fix and it is a great choice for a short workout. My grandson is supposed to pick up our dog to watch her.

Valerie, my grandson seemed just fine. I think he just started the day with a stomach ache as when he got in the car he wanted to know what I had to eat. He ate plenty and no fever or anything. Growing up I just remember school getting out in June and starting in September. Here in Oklahoma it gets out may and starts around mid August. Snow days do make a difference if too many get used.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.