Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/06/2023

Today I did the blended workout I put together using STS 2 Body Parts Legs, the bonuses plus SB Lying Stretch. Came to exactly an hour. Derek and I times our arrival at the part well. Talked to both of them, said we were going to go check out the flowers, very nicely landscaped, and after a bit of wandering around we wandered on home. LOL I hadn't been paying attention to the weather for today, and hadn't realized it was going to rain during the night continuing on and off into the morning. Skunk had managed to pull the blanket almost half way off the trap, but I have an identical one and was able to toss that over the exposed part. I picked a time when it wasn't raining, but had to go through a wooded area so got a bit wet anyway. Skunk was quite happy to leave the trap and headed off through the tree line to the corn field. Here's to hoping there are no more caught. Not sure my luck will continue to hold out.

Diane Sue great job with CDorner 80's step, Cardio Kickbox and yoga. Yeah it's been a long time, but I di wildlife rehab for a few years, so I have a decent idea about how to deal with wild animals.

Hi to all

This morning I did my yoga/mobility for 18 minutes. Yesterday turned out to be an unexpected family get together. My three brothers, their wives and my nieces and nephew came by for a while in the afternoon. We had a wonderful visit. One brother was in town for a long weekend and the other two live in the metro area. Of course, living in the metro area doesn’t mean close since we are 50 miles apart. Anyway it was a great afternoon.

Cathy, good job with Body Parts Legs and SB Lying stretch. It sounds like you might be the local animal whisperer!

Hello to Judy, Valerie, and Diane Sue. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Yesterday I did 60 minutes of Peloton total body strength. This morning I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and this afternoon I did 30 minutes of Yin Yoga. Chris is continuing to recover and is spending more time up and moving around. He can’t do any kind of heavy lifting or running for 4-6 weeks from his surgery, so roughly 3-5 weeks from now.

Cathy-Great job with your STS 2 Body Parts Legs, bonuses and Lying Stretch mix. It’s been raining all day here. That’s awesome that you did wildlife rehab and are good at dealing with animals like that.

Carolyn-Great job with your yoga/mobility. It sounds like you had a wonderful family visit yesterday.

Hi to Valerie and Diane Sue

This morning I did Low Impact Sweat workout one which was 27 minutes and 171 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Judy, nice job with doing Peloton total body strength, 45 minute Peloton ride, and Yin Yoga. You seem to be getting back to a normal routine.

Valerie, glad that you made it back. Those long rides are hard.

Hello to Cathy and Diane Sue.

my last surgical consult tomorrow. hopefully his opinion is similar to the first surgeon I saw. then decision time. I need to do this. its not going to improve by itself.

DH and I have ordered a new desktop and are going with apple this time. never had one before, we always had to use microsoft products. we have two desktops but his is starting to sputter a little so will replace his first.
I am wondering if there is an effective way to block spam type emails that I dont know about? there is domain address in particular that sends junk easily 20 per day. each one I swipe left and to "Block sender". it puts those emails in the trash where I delete them once or twice daily. the issue is future ones are blocked but new variations on their domain address keep arriving. I block every one but I get the feeling this is endless war. any message that starts "want to meet nice russian lady" or "your dead penis" is probably not useful. any thoughts?

Today I did a 90 minute Peloton Power Zone ride. It’s been a while since I’ve done a long ride like that. I needed to challenge myself a little to get through it. My average heart rate was 139, max 158.

Valerie-Long drives are exhausting. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. We haven’t had a problem with spam lately. I just checked and our outlook junk email setting is low. It says the default is no automatic filtering, then there are low, high and safe lists only settings. Low seems to be working well for us.

Carolyn-Great job with Low Impact Sweat workout one. Yes, things are slowly getting back to normal.

Hi to Cathy & Diane Sue

Got up early and did STS 2 Body Parts Shoulders, then Derek and I went to the zoo and to my parents. Apparently the weather people were not let in on the secret, mystery rain, because my apps were saying no rain, the RADAR showed no rain in lower Michigan yet the first hour we were at the zoo, it was a constant misty to steady light rain and back to misty. Tomorrow we are going to South Bend to the zoo, but not leaving till 1 as they are open till 8 so we are going to try and see if like Fort Wayne getting their later in the day means less people. We should get there around 3.

Judy great job with the Peloton Power Zone ride. That is a long ride!

Valerie I've never had anything but Apple products going back to the mid 80's, I'm lost trying to use anything else. I've used Gmail for years and while some things get through to the main boxes, once I mark something as spam, future ones seem to get snagged into the spam folder directly. I hope things go well tomorrow and you get the information you need to figure out the best way to proceed.

Caroline nice job with Low Impact Sweat.

Yesterday I woke up with my left upper back spasming. I could barely tip my head to that side and it would send pain shooting down it. I couldn't reach overhead. I ended up icing and doing SPS 2 chair yoga and some foam roller. I rested all day. Today it is better, but I still feel it some. Today I wanted to be careful so did Jessica Smith Walk Strong 3 step and stride, 32 minutes, heart rate 133/149, 179 calories. I followed it with STS 2 Total Body Stretch, 23 minutes, 29 calories. Total time was 61 minutes, 202 calories, 4,038 steps. At least today I can reach up in the cabinet to get things out.
Tomorrow I will be taking another rest day. I will be getting together with my lady's group for breakfast. Thursday will be a rest day as well. I go to the pulmonologist then. I tried to do the check in on line, but when I got to the last page, despite the fact that I had put my insurance in the forms, it said no insurance and wanted me to prepay for the appointment. I am not going to do that. I sure hope I do not go in and have to fill all of that all over again. I do not know why it has me as no insurance since I am in their database from when I went to urgent care a couple of times. It shows those things. I am not looking forward to this appointment.
I am hoping my daughter and her family make it home safely. They went to DC and were supposed to come home today, but their flight was cancelled. So they rented a car and were heading to another city to try to get a flight out to Dallas and my grandson in law is supposed to pick them up there. I hear bad storms were headed that way.

Cathy, I am glad you got the skunk out where it can head out into the wild. Nice job on STS 2 body parts legs, bonus and a stretch yesterday and body parts shoulders today. I hope there was less people when you got to the zoo.

Carolyn, family visits are always nice. Nice that you got in a mobility stretch yesterday. Nice work with Low Impact Sweat #1 today.

Judy, nice work on the Peloton rides Saturday and Sunday and yin yoga. I am glad to hear that Chris is up and around more.
Great job on today's Peloton Power Zone Ride 90 minutes.

Valerie, good luck with the last opinion on surgery. Travel is always exhausting to me. I wish I knew how to get rid of spam.

I was supposed to do back today, but yesterday I woke up and my upper back was really tight and sore. I did shoulders but went light on the shrugs. It felt the same today, so I did STS 2 Total Body Stretch and followed with some foam rolling of the specific area. Hopefully tomorrow I can do back and then I'll do Chest before I shop on Thursday. Derek and I are leaving about 1 for South Bend, so it may be 10 tonight before we get home, but I've got nothing on my schedule tomorrow so if I sleep a bit later, I can still get my workout in.

Diane Sue sorry to hear your upper back was also causing you issues, sounds like yours was much worse than mine. Good choices to workout around it and try to work it out. I hope your daughter made it home okay. Flying is such a roll of the dice these days with so many varied issues with flights.

too funny with the skunk!. I have so little experience with skunks, my one time seeing one alive, and not dead on the road, was on that mt bike ride a few years ago when DH encouraged me to 'just ride past him". No not happening that day or any other. Mr.skunk has right of way!

diane sue that is rough with your back/shoulders. some things you cant work thru and are best giving rest ice/warmth whatever but letting it settle down. good luck with pulmonology. no question air travel ain't what it used to be! the more people that fly the worse it seems to get, plus all the related issues with weather, unruly people, and airlines being unpredictable.

I had my second surgeon appt this morning (of the people being considered), he said much the same as the first. he was very nice and wants a few other xray views of my back. no question this is what I need to do. needed to be sure of that.

I am still working on the spam remedy. I fully "get" I cant rid myself of all of it, but this is one particular site that generates a ton of absolute crap every day. using an iphone to block it works better than anything on my desktop. DH has an older phone and cant block it like mine does and the desktop doesnt have a means either so I am assuming that since it gets to other devices, it will go on until I can block it other places too.

ETA we rode our usual trail this afternoon, 15 miles. very warm out but that was the best choice.

Last edited:
I did not feel like working out today so I kept it light. I did JS One Mile of Motivation, STS 2.0 Standing Abs Metabolic Core Warmup, and Chair Yoga.
Last night was my turn to get way too little sleep—something that rarely happens. We had storms yesterday afternoon then the power went out around 6:00 pm. It came back on at 12:30 a.m. and woke us up. Several other things happened during the night after that but I won’t bother to mention them, but it was constant up and down for hours.

Judy, great job with the 90 minute Peloton Power Zone ride. That’s a long one.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that you had upper back spasms. Something less intense was definitely in order. I hope that your daughter and her family were able to get a flight home. There were so many cancellations that it was difficult for people.

Valerie, I hope that the surgery consult went okay. I hope that you can figure out a solution for the spam. That’s such a problem.

Cathy, great job with Body Parts Shoulders, trip to the zoo, and visit with your parents. I understand about the tight shoulders after that workout. Total Body Stretch was a good choice.

I hope that everyone is having a good day.

Today I did STS 2 Body Parts Back. The foam rolling yesterday really did the trick to break up whatever the problem was. Still a bit sore to the touch, but way better. We had a really nice zoo visit yesterday going late meant that especially the last hour and a half was very peaceful. I wish more zoos had hours into the evening. Coming home I hit the wrong option on the GPS and instead of taking the toll road, which did save me $4.50, we ended up going across on the road parallel to it. While half of it was highway, it changes to small towns and goes through a large Amish area. That means keeping an eye out for horses and buggies and bikes. We've had to many biggies hit and people killed in Michigan. The last one I saw the horse bolted into traffic. Nothing the driver could do. :( So, I am super careful in those areas.

Valerie skunks really don't want to spray and usually only do it if cornered or startled. I watched a skunk/raccoon interaction on our porch a few winters ago. Could see them through the door and they were right on the other side. Skunk was eating and the raccoon came up and took over. Twice the skunk turned its back and lifted its tail in the raccoons face, but the raccoon just kept eating and the skunk wandered away. Sounds like you are continuing to gather helpful information about your surgery decision. Great that you got a ride in.

Caroline great decision to find something to do JS One Mile of Motivation, STS 2.0 Standing Abs Metabolic Core Warmup, and Chair Yoga on a day you weren't feeling like working out. Sorry to hear about your power outage and messed up night.

Today I did Cardio Quick Fix workout one for 27 minutes and 182 calories burned. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 159. My husband’s doctor’s appointment for Thursday was rescheduled so I should be able to do a strength workout.

Cathy, great job with Body Parts Back and foam rolling. The foam rolling really makes a difference.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Below the belt, 35 minutes, 80 calories, heart rate 91/128, 405 steps. This one uses an 8# vest and 2.5# ankle weights. I then did Cathe, Boss Loops Glutes and Cores doing only the standing glute work and no floor work. This was 28 minutes, 93 calories heart rate 104/138, 1,242 steps. I finished with CDorner Back and Hips stretch, 30 minutes, 37 calories. Total time was 93 minutes, 210 calories, 1,673 steps. I had to get on Amazon to see what weight my middle vest was. It was 8# and I am going to put the weight on the little tag in it. I am taking it slow this week. No workout tomorrow as I go to the pulmonologist tomorrow morning.

Cathy, I am glad things were better and that you were able to do Upper Body Back today. I really like that foam rolling upper body workout. Now I have two favorites that help as I have one with CDorner I really like. I think that was one of the worst with the back/neck thing. Usually, I can still move my head to the side. Hopefully middle of next week I can get back to doing heavier weights again. I have my Grandson Sun-Tues. I plan on enjoying him while I have him by myself. My daughter and family drove to Baltimore and got a flight out there and landed in Dallas at 11 o'clock at night. That is funny about the Skunk and the raccoon. I am with Valerie and would stay clear. We had a raccoon in our yard once. I guess according to animal control it probably lost it's home with all of the building around the area. It just seemed weird in the middle of the city. We had loads of trees and a small lake right behind us. Maybe it thought it was home. The guy that picked it up said they can be vicious. My grandkids really wanted to go back outside and check it out because they thought it was sleeping. I couldn't let my dogs out.

Valerie, nice that you got a ride in. I used to get so much awful stuff in my emails and ugly stuff in texts. Somehow messing with it a lot that has pretty much stopped. On occasion a text that is usually prompting attention to probably get credit info. No nasty words or anything. I get tired of getting e mails about pooping. Seriously, who wants to talk about that stuff. I think it comes from some of the health things I have followed over the years. Once I watched a video through email that I was interested in and afterwards I guess they had all kinds of people sending stuff. I kept blocking and unsubscribing till that finally stopped.
I am sure getting pretty much the same from this doctor makes helps you feel secure in what can be done. More X-rays will probably help them be sure they do they correct thing if you choose to do it.
I hope it works out for you.

Carolyn, good job yesterday getting in 1 mile to motivation, standing abs metabolic and core, and chair yoga. All are good choices to keep moving when not up to something more.
Nice work today On Cardio Quick Fix.

Opted to move my shopping to tomorrow as I only slept from about 3:30-6:30. I did just finish STS 2 Chest though it took me till almost 10 to actually start it. I need an oil change too, so the combo really convinced me to wait. Not like we're going to starve. Guessing I won't accomplish much the rest of the day.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Quick Fix.

Diane Sue nice job with Coffey Fit Raw Below the belt, Boss Loops Glutes and Cores and stretch. I hope your appointment goes well. Skunks, raccoons, opossums and cats generally manage to coexist quite well, and will even eat in the same areas, throw a dog in the mix though and it's not peaceful. Glad your daughter was able to get a flight and get back home.

Hi to Judy and Valerie.

Today I did XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders. My time was 64 minutes with 289 calories burned, average heart rate 118, and maximum heart rate 252.

Diane Sue, great job with Coffeyfit Raw Below the Belt, Boss Loops Glutes and Core standing only, and CDorner Back and Hips stretch.

Cathy, good job with STS Body Parts Chest. That’s a lot with so little sleep. Changing your shopping day seems like the best thing to do.

Hello to Judy and Valerie.

Tuesday, I did Live #366, PHA Super Sets 2, No Repeats. Yesterday was a rest day, I did a short Yin Yoga session. Today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride and 10 minutes of Peloton Arms & Light Weights.

Cathy-Great job with STS 2 Body Parts Shoulders, STS 2 Total Body Stretch, Foam Rolling and STS 2 Body Parts Back and STS 2 Chest. I’m glad your back is feeling better. Your sleep last night sounds like the night I spent in the hospital when Chris had his surgery. I think I finally got to sleep around 3:30 and woke up at 6.

Diane Sue-I’m so sorry about your upper back. That sounds very painful. Great job with Jessica Smith Walk Strong 3 step and stride, STS 2 Total Body Stretch, Coffey Fit Raw Below the belt, Boss Loops Glutes and Core, and CDorner Back and Hips stretch.

Carolyn-Great job with JS One Mile of Motivation, STS 2.0 Standing Abs Metabolic Core Warmup, Chair Yoga, Cardio Quick Fix workout one, and XTrain Chest, Back, and Shoulders. We are continuing to have power issues around here too.

Valerie-Great job with the ride. I hope you find a remedy for your spam problem.

had a mammogram early this morning and finally got the order for of xrays to the right place. all the competing medical groups dont exchange information as easily as one would hope. ive had these xrays done before but don't expect competing surgery groups swap those back and forth. so finally got the orders to the right place and got those done today after lunch. now one more appt tomorrow for an annual cardiology review. did a ride this morning after the mamm, done in 65 minutes.

DH got a new desktop, an imac. its beautiful. we are getting it set up. not hard to do. eventually we want to work our way to all apple products. one step at a time. hopefully it will reduce the spam bit by bit. the newer iphone is the one tool to block spam but because it can get to other systems, I am guessing thats why it keeps arriving. some of it is not awful sounding but I never ever open anything. block sender and sent it to trash and then delete. Ive had to order some fiber supplements and laxatives for my sister and right after that happens I get a ton of things about poop assistance. Sigh. hard to avoid, anything bought on amazon or googled will come back to haunt.

we see raccoons and possums but not skunks. when we go east we see more skunks mostly dead on side of the road. I will give skunks a wide berth. no reason to antagonize a critter with those defenses.

got mamm results back already and its benign. Whew. my mother had breast ca at about this age so I get nervous.

the fires in maui are horrendous. how absolutely terrible. but we are having more climate change related events that are so very extreme. Ive only been to hawaii once and never maui, but it seemed such an unlikely place for a fire.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.