Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/04

Today I did XTrain Bis and Tris, 47 minutes and 221 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 150. I had to go to the store after my workout. The store was surprisingly empty at 11:00. I am having a hard time finding good looking produce in the stores recently. It’s not just one store, so I did know what is going on with that. Unfortunately, I won’t be able go to the farmer’s market Saturday.

Cathy, great job with LIS Slide and Glide. I hate that workout and haven’t done it in years. I don’t mind the discs for short segments, but I don’t want a full workout using them. Mosquitoes haven’t been too bad so far, but we are getting a lot of rain, so that may change.

Diane Sue, nice job getting your workout in today before your appointment. I am always cautious about ordering cosmetics on Amazon. I prefer to order directly from the company or a reputable site such as Dermstore. Amazon is listed as an authorized seller for EltaMD, but I’m still cautious. Most sunscreens that I tried in the past were irritating to my skin or caused breakouts.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did Turbo Barre minus the first and last segments. I've been getting some new kitchen stuff and giving Nick my old. Today my new Ninja Foodi Power Pitcher System came, and I'll give him my Vitamix and food processor as this will take the place of both. I have a new 6 qt Yedi 9-in-1 Instant Pressure Cooker coming today which is manufactured by the same place that does the Instant Pot, and he gets my 3 qt. For his birthday in September I'm going to get him a couple new pots and pans.

I'm up to having killed 5-6 mosquitos that have gotten in the house today. I've only been out briefly a couple times and run when possible. LOL Need to get up early and get my workout in tomorrow, and then go walk at the zoo and visit my parents. I have no idea what possessed them, but my brother and his wife are going out to Oregon for a wedding and they are taking their cat. My Dad has never been a cat person and they haven't had one in about 40 years! I really can't see it going well, but we'll see. They don't get it till next week and I can't go down the next couple weeks, so I'll just get to hear about it.

Diane Sue great job on the workout this morning!

Carolyn nice job with the XTrain Bi's and Tri's.

Did a hike this morning 4 hrs 20 min. it was tough. this is obscure hike. DH and I do "road crew" work to keep the road open and this time we had to road crew the trail. what a mess. every year wind, snow, rain bring down trees and branches. some things you crawl under or climb over or go around, but smaller stuff can be dragged or tossed off. carrying a chain saw up a trail is challenging so we dont do it. this trail is ridiculously steep for the first hundred yards and then levels somewhat. chain saws are illegal in wilderness areas tho this is national forest so OK. we did clearing on our way up. probably about 3/4 of the way to the top, more on the way down. the top part of the route will still be under snow and we didn't bring ice axes. would need for that part of the trail. we expected we'd be doing a lot of low elevation work so skipped the axes. anyway, a nice morning. lots of work, but next time will be easier.

oh my... Michigan mosquitos are probably as big as Wisconsin ones. we have mosquitos here too but mostly in the mountains. not like the midwest. I AM a cat person cathy, but traveling with a cat is not fun unless you have a pretty laid back kitty. we found leaving our cat at home was better. he was not good in the car. we have friends who hire a cat sitter. kitty "kennels" were rough on everyone IMO. I assume they're driving? If we get another kitty, we will take it to MT with us, but that is a one day drive and then the kitty would be free to do "whatever" at the house..... no fuss with motels.
I bought a Ninja blender a year ago. Love it! I use the instant pot tho not as much as I expected. what is the power pitcher system? the blade part of the Ninja needs care, very very sharp blades and careful placement in the DW so you don't whack yourself loading or unloading. .

Lori it would be great if you checked in to let us know how the hurricane/tropical storm situation is doing.
Hope it wimped out by the time it got to your location. also that your DH is doing well.

a day like today I used the Elta, then my make up with sunscreen over it. DH orders his directly from Amazon and has had no problems. no counterfeit products. he doesn't use any third party sources. he does it, so I can't add any more to the info but its worked fine for him.

I've done the slide/glide workout and others with disks plenty of times, not recently though. the disks don't resemble xc skiing at all but I do the best I can with them. I think X train is my favorite workout series of all, did it more than any other but only bits and pieces the last few years. nothing I didnt like about it.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Wednesday I took a rest day and helped Chris with the bathroom painting project. We finished it last night and are pretty happy with the results. Today I did 85 minutes of Peloton rides, a 10 minute Peloton arm workout and a 5 minute stretch.

Diane Sue- Nice workouts this week. I hope your appointment goes well. I've been using La Roche-Posay mineral sunscreen and it's been working well for me. I got mine on Amazon but it was sold and shipped by Amazon so it's ok. I would be concerned buying a skin product on Amazon if it was not sold by Amazon.

Carolyn-Great job with the XTrain workouts. It's been nice to have a few days off but they went by too fast.

Cathy-Nice job with Turbo Barre. I can't imagine taking our cats on a road trip with us. I don't think that would go well for us or them. Maybe some cats are more used to travelling but I don't think ours would like it at all.

Valerie-Wow! Great job on the hike. Mosquitoes are pretty bad around here. I agree about XTrain. I think it might be Cathe's best series overall. It has everything and no dread factor.

This morning I did a timesaver from Low Impact Challenge, but I skipped the last few minutes. My time was 28 minutes and 197 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 152. I was not enjoying the workout at all so I skipped to the stretch.

Cathy, nice job with Turbo Barre. That’s a nice workout, just a little too long. It’s good that you are giving some of your appliances to your son. I love my Vitamix and would never give it up. I bought one for my youngest daughter a few years ago. I was visiting her and she was making smoothies with a regular blender—just not the same.

Valerie, what a morning you had with that hike and clearing the trail. Great job.

Judy, nice work with the bathroom painting. I have ordered sunscreen from Amazon too with no problems. I make sure that I am not ordering from a third party. Many companies now have “stores” on Amazon, including Cathe.

Hello to Diane Sue.

day off for me today.

dont know if this would appear to anyone else, but I've been looking for a decent sports bra that fits and supports that isn't too hard to get on and off. I tried Title 9 but none fit and most were very hard to maneuver into. I need a front hook or over the head style. I ordered one from Shefit. it came yesterday and I tried it on this morning. it was a little too big all over but it is impressive! it has a front zip, a sturdy zipper with the ends enclosed in fabric. it has a very adjustable velcro wrap for a chest strap and the straps cross and have velcro adjustments. very easy on and off. I think they have a bra to fit everyone and every situation.
was so happy to see a front connection!. back hooks are impossible for me to connect, and they never ever fit right. I returned it in exchange for one size smaller so will let you know when it comes and how it works. they even include a tape measure. my very old tattered tape gave me slightly off measurements so I ordered too large. it was $69. for a sports bra that's reasonable.

Today I did Ellen Barrett’s Peace, Love, and Cardio. This is a fusion of yoga, standing pilates, and walking that is done barefoot. The workout was 30 minutes with 175 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 152.

Valerie, that sports bra sounds like a good buy. I’m going to mention that brand to my daughter who is currently looking for a one. Personally, I can wear anything .

I hope that everyone is having a good day.

carolyn the only negative is they busy you with emails. I've used mostly over the head bras because good front hook styles are hard to find. I'm good at getting in/out of OTH styles and they have been easier to find. this new bra was impressively easy to put on and remove, and seemed infinitely adjustable. just a bit too large for me overall. since I lost weight I need to down size a touch.

doing an upper body workout today. lovely out. doing garden work mainly.

did stacked upper body, 50 knee push ups some curls with the band, and some "sort of" pull ups.

Last edited:
Today I did CDorner Best of Cardio Kickboxing and Dance Tabata Mash Up (80's music) 274 calories, 47 minutes, 3,548 steps. I then did her Upper Body and Neck Stretch from today, 22 minutes, 32 calories, 76/90 calories, 15 steps. The cardio workout was a mix of her workouts put together and the abs added on at 36 minutes into the workout then the stretch. Fun workout. You notice the mix as when she hits one part it is older as her puzzle mats are on the floor and the abs are in a gym with two other women. Standing and floor abs that are basic moves. Long wait and trip getting the heart CT yesterday. I go back in a year unless I have unusual coughing and wheezing or something. They are monitoring the nodules and she showed me a fuzzy spot that they were not sure about. Since I do not smoke and never have it is probably due to the RA. Glad that trip is over. Next week is the arthritis center. Once I am done with that I just wait till November for my yearly check up. Yeah!
Guess I did not post yesterday. so now I am back.

Today I did CDorner Full Body Workout dumbbell workout at home frpm yesterday. This was 53 minutes(work time 46 min) Garmin always gives me both when I do it as strength and pause rests to write. 137 calories, 99/129 heart rate, 570 steps. I previewed this one yesterday to determine if it was doable. Compound exercises and abs in between rounds. I followed this with one of her cardio mobility and foam roller upper back and shoulders, 45 minutes, 80 calories. Total time 98 minutes, 217 calories. I finally got an egg plant and my dried black beans. I made the Fix it with Food Vegetable chili with eggplant and black eyed peas along with crushed tomatoes and lots of seasoning. It is really good. They have a recipe very similar that they use on a baked sweet potato and in a stuffed pepper with quinoa and the stew. It is just missing a couple of ingredients like cocoa powder and cinnamon.
CDorner Full Body Workout uses dumbbells and gliding discs for one move with other options if something does not work. Not super heavy weights as Chris uses a bit of 15's but mostly 8-12#
warm up
plank/crunches
wall squat with back and head pressed against the wall bent arm lateral raises (she uses 8's) I used 5's
gliders or other option kneel on gliding discs and slide knees in and out
wall sit with hands on thighs applying resistance to knees outward and release
side lunge 1 arm front raise alternating sides (me 5#) I think Chris uses 8#
repeat moves
next round
15's or 12's as Chris gets out both reverse hold lunge and lift heel if you can while doing hammer curls
I used 12's
alternating reverse lunge hammer curls 12's
repeat the reverse lunge heel lift hammer curls on left 12's
Biceps curls m3 10's 2 and 2 alternating
reverse lunge supination cuurls 12's
next round
abs star fish
hollow
twisting plank on forearms
leaning on forearms bicycle
repeat
next round
curtsy 1 arm overhead tricep extension (I tried one and it was painful for that shoulder so did the alternative lunge with kickbacks 10# dbshold in glute bridge skull crusher 12's (me 10's)
plank row kickback or alternative which Chris did because of her shoulder and arm done on knees me 8# db

Last edited:
This week went fast. Friday I worked 6 hours at HD and got over 15,000 steps. I was off today so I did a 60 minute Peloton ride and Muscle Meltdown Triceps & Shoulders.

Carolyn-Great job with Ellen Barrett’s Peace, Love, and Cardio. That sounds like a nice workout.

Valerie-Nice job with Stacked Upper Body and the push ups and pull ups. I usually wear Brooks & Under Armour sports bras. The Shefit bras look like they would be very good.

DIane Sue-Great job with the CDorner workouts. I watched part of the Upper Body and Neck Stretch yesterday and bookmarked it. It looks like one I want to try. I hope your visit to the arthritis center goes well.

Hi to Cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.