Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/16

Deb, his problem went on for many years, just occasionally for no particular reason, he'd get a nosebleed.. more inconvenient than anything, but it just dragged on. things like altitude and dry air would aggravate it sometimes. I have to be careful when in Montana because my nose gets dry and irritated too. he had it cauterized more than once but the first times they must have missed the right blood vessel. the procedure was not especially pleasant but it is really nice not to hassle with it anymore.

the forests here are dense and steep and there are trails and routes everywhere. the rain and snow in the winter brings down trees, and often if one tree goes down, it takes others with it. lots of water causes mud slides,, snow slides, they wipe out trees and trails trail and road clean up in spring is a big deal here. this trail had some blowdowns lower down but if its only one tree, usually you can climb over it or around it. if its a couple dozen trees, it gets more difficult since its a tangle of branches and trunks mostly evergreens. trails and roads can get obliterated in one rainy season. if its steep hillside, it gets challenging. if a trail crew has to hike up several miles with saws and shovels, they usually want to do it once and clear the whole trail, so they wait until the snow is mostly gone. . sometimes trails ( and roads) get abandoned because it is too much of a mess. just a fact of life here. most roads are gravel forest service roads left over from logging in the past.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix which was 25 minutes and 199 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 151. After that I did JS’ 15 Minute Calorie Burst for an additional 108 calories.

Diane Sue, yes it was High Step Training advanced that I did. Although “Advanced” is not in the title, Cathe does call it that in the introduction. I bought High Step Challenge years ago, so I never bought this one. I like ab workouts that use the stability ball.

Deb, I don’t know about the two different Training dvds, but I only see one on the shop Cathe page.

Valerie, my nosebleeds were similar to what you describe for your husband. They weren’t frequent enough that I wanted to have the blood vessels cauterized.

Hello to Judy and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

This morning I did Coffey Fit raw Kickboxing and Olympic Lifts using a 40# barbell, 49 minutes(45 actual) 316 calories, met 8.3, 134 average, 167 max heart rate, 3,316 steps. I then did the Raw Core Moves that I missed yesterday, 25 minutes, 266 steps, met 4.5, 86 calories, heart rate 101 average, 129 max. Total time was 74 minutes, 402 calories, 3,582 steps.

Judy, yes, I remember reading warnings on Nasacort and Flonase, I have tried those and not used more than a couple of days. I recently purged my cabinet of those things that I would use and go back to in desperation only to remember why I quit using it.

Deb, the other one at the same time was high step circuit training intermediate level. Yes, we notify the association office if we want to use the pool area for a gathering. One of them even has a grill set up in it and both have lawn areas around the outside of the concrete. Signs are posted with the rules in the cabana.

Carolyn, I guess I just remember seeing the advanced level in the corner, or Cathe said it. I always identified it as the advanced one ;) They got the high step out and those workouts along with high step challenge workout and I had to identify each to put them in MFP.

Valerie, I have finally resorted to only saline sprays and that is generally in the winter. I have had too many bad experiences with nasal sprays and burning sinuses from them.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Valerie, I hope that this was caused by my itchy nose, and I was really rubbing it a lot Sunday night. If it does happen again, I will make an appointment with my ENT. That trail situation sounds like it would be best to avoid until cleared out.

Carolyn, not sure about what is offered now, but I am pretty sure I have 2 of them, one being High Step Training ( the advanced one you did yesterday) and one that was pretty easy. I'm with you on the cauterization process...I want to avoid it as much as I can. The 3 or so visits I had with an ENT to check on a "nodule" that was found in a scope I had done for my GI issues, were enough.

Diane Sue, that's nice that you have all the advantages of a built in pool, without the expense or time consuming maintenance.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Take care,

Today I did Total Body Giant Sets. My time was 59 minutes with 281 calories burned. Average heart rate was 112 and maximum heart rate was 142.

Deb, an itchy nose is what happens when my nose is dry. I use a warm saline solution to moisturize.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Deb, once you go through some of those invasive tests it makes sense that you would want to avoid doing something similar again.

Carolyn, I use saline when my nose is itchy and/or dry. It helps with allergies too.

I did x train bi's and tri's and the ab workout. I need to do something else so I don't get sick of the superset I've been doing.

that is the thing with ENT, even taking a look is uncomfortable. I used to get bad tonsillitis until I had them removed, and had a lot of ENT time before the surgery. hopefully it will resolve by itself.

Wednesday I did Muscle Max and yesterday I did Cathe Live-Go The Distance Ride. The timing was perfect as I was going to do an indoor ride and I wanted to start around 9-9:30. It was fun doing a Live workout again. I need to go back and do all of the Live rides that I have missed. Today I plan on doing a lower body workout.
One of the assistant managers from HD called me Wednesday morning and offered me a permanent part time position in electrical. He also said there may be an opening in garden soon so I can move back to that if I want to. I accepted the offer. I'm scheduled in garden through July 14, so it will be sometime after that when I switch. It will be nice to get a part time schedule and I am glad to be staying. Now that I've been working for 4 months, I don't want to go back to not working.

Deb-I agree about ENT visits being uncomfortable. Expensive too. Our insurance changed last year, to one with a higher deductible. We had a bill for just over $300 for my last ENT visit.

Diane Sue- I preordered KCM's DVDs earlier this week. I still use Nasacort occasionally but I probably should get rid of all my nasal sprays like you did. Using saline sprays is a good idea. I should just stock up on them.
I also like the little Olba inhalers. I think they have those in CVS now but they used to only be in health food stores.

Carolyn-I love the High Step workouts. I've done High Step Challenge more than High Step Training but they are both really good. I've used the easier one, High Step Circuit, for active rest weeks or when I was injured and couldn't use much weight.

Valerie-Great job with XTrain! That is such a fun series!

Lori-I hope everything is going ok for you.

Have a great weekend!

Judy

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Hopefully starting new on Sunday with the LITE rotation.

Carolyn, thanks for the tip. What solution do you use? how do you get it warm?

Valerie, good idea not to get burned out on one set or DVD exercise.

Judy, that's great that they offered you a part time position where you will have more of a permanent schedule. Better for planning etc. What is an Olba inhaler?

Lori, I hope you are doing ok. Check in when you have a chance.

John is going fishing for 3 days, so its just "me & the dogs" until sometime Sunday.

Take care,

I use saline sprays occasionally but they make me sneeze and my nose runs. then all the blowing makes a small bleed more likely. the air has not been that dry on the last Montana trips so I have saline spray available but don't use unless I need it. Ive used Nasacort and Flonase but only years when allergy sxs are a problem. most years I get by without anything. limiting exposure works best.

I feel like I neglected previous perfectly good workout series. going to work my way backwards. I loved x-train. I liked burn sets, and loved that ab workout. no problems with sound or bad music either.

Judy hope that part time works out for you. I would think the longer you work there, the more likely you will have a say on days,hours and which department.
Lori we miss you! Hope you can check back in even if you cant post regularly.

Today I did X Train Tabatacise, tabatas 1 and 2 plus core 2. My time was 39 minutes with 219 calories burned. Average heart rate was 117 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Deb, I don’t use a commercial solution. My method is very “old school”. I use warm tap water with salt added to it, something I learned from a doctor many years ago. I sniff it in using my hand instead of spraying.

Judy, great job with Muscle Max and the Cathe Live Go the Distance. I’m so glad that your job is finally working out the way that you want.

Valerie, I love the weight workouts in the X Train series. Hopefully you will discover others that you enjoy as well.

Hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

This morning's workout was Coffey Fit Raw Strong and Lean (one of my favorites) 47 minutes, met 7.0, 281 calories, heart rate average 120, max 156, 2,491 steps. I followed this with Coffey Fit Raw Cardio Overload version 1 wearing my 8# vest, 33 minutes, heart rate average 130, max 165, 2,192 steps, met 7.5, 209 calories. Total time was 80 minutes, 490 calories, 4,683 steps. I had to go out birthday present shopping for Sunday's family birthday celebration at my son's house. I still need to get cards purchased.

Judy, that will be nice for you to have a permanent part time position at Home Depot. I saw that there were several spin live workouts. I think I did one of them. I am looking forward to Kelly's new workouts. It will be nice having the pre-mixes. I haven't heard of the Olba Inhalers. They have a lot of that type of thing at Sprouts. I noticed that CVS was carrying a lot of the natural treatments. That is where I bought the Boiron Rhinallergy one of the last times.

Deb, I like the Lite workouts. The Lite rotation would probably be a good one.

Valerie, I don't know how you would avoid grass and pollen when you are outside so much. I don't go outside a lot and I still react to what is in the air. I have not done too bad so far this year, but with all of the rain, it washes the pollen out of the air. I find periodically I get into a fitness rut doing the same workouts or the same type of workouts all of the time. X Train does have great weight workouts.

Carolyn, I am sure the water and salt would work just fine. I have a neti pot, but my daughter said there have been so many incidents where people got bacterial infections using those. I suspect they probably did not follow all of the cleanliness suggestions. I always cleaned mine off and out with rubbing alcohol. But, I am not using it. Funny how old school things work and we pay so much for those convenience items. Those sprays are expensive considering that they are salt water. I still use a lot of old school methods.

Lori, I sure hope things are okay with you. Miss your posts. Hope you are still getting all of your bounce workouts ;)

This morning I did Legs & Glutes from Body Blast and this afternoon I did the standing only premix of XTrain AOLIH, then Burn Sets Shoulders.

Diane Sue-Great job with Coffey Fit Raw Strong and Lean and Cardio Overload. Here is the Olba inhaler:

https://www.olbas.com/olbas-remedies/olbas-inhaler/

Carolyn-Great job with Tabatacise!

Deb-The Lite rotation is a good one.

Valerie-After doing Legs & Glutes, I realized that's the only one of the Body Blast series workouts that I have done. I need to revisit that series and do the rest of the workouts.

we mt biked this morning, about 9 miles, 2 hrs 10 min. a really good workout. it was really fun!. cool and damp out but so pretty. I really love the fast downhill back to the car. its at least a 3 mile run. we need to stop a couple times because braking makes your hands cramp up. we gain at least 1000 feet elevation going up.

I am allergic to lawn and "golf course" grass, the cultivated stuff. the wild stuff does not bother me much. mostly trees don't either although I tested positive to a lot of tree pollen. I had more issues in Wisconsin, drove me CRAZY there, but never had much trouble here. I did desensitization shots a long time ago.
Neti pots creep me out. I caould never pour water up my nose. never!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, agility today.

Valerie, that's too bad that the saline spray seems to possibly aggravate the situation. Good to go back and revisit those older series, especially if at the time you did not take advantage of the pre-mixes. It will be like getting new workouts!

Carolyn, kudos to you for doing those Tabatacisee workouts! I may try your old school method. Is the saline solution used for contact lenses, and eye drops ok for this use? I put saline drops in Kylee's eyes every day, since she is prone to dry eye, which leads to conjunctivitis sometimes.

Diane Sue, that is great that you are finding so many good workouts with KCM's streaming. Yes, one downside to streaming is no premixes, but the selection of workouts definitely cancels that out. My SIL's birthday is Monday, so I was out yesterday shopping for a gift and card as well.

Judy, thanks for the link to that inhaler etc. It looks good. Looks like it is available at a lot of local stores.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

we keep saline spray handy in cars but most of the time not necessary. I don't use it unless I have to. I focus more on staying well hydrated, and the dryness issues take care of themselves.

even if I did the workouts dozens of times before, they seem new. its been a long time but I kept worksheets for most, so I even know what weights I used. I will work on X train for a while, then maybe Gym Styles. we get plenty of cardio from riding and hiking.

we just watched a series called 'Dead to Me" only one season available but has been renewed. it's great! I think its on Hulu, but I could be wrong. might have been Prime. Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini. just quirky enough, hilarious. I loved it. probably depends on your sense of humor. also trying to watch a series called Path. also Handmaids Tale, and Better Call Saul. I love them, except for Path. its so-so, seems a little like "Lost" which is my all time "most hated" series for wasting so much of my time.

This morning I did ICE Chiseled Upper Body for 44 minutes and 195 calories burned. My average heart rate was 108 and maximum heart rate was 138.

Deb, I hope that you have a good day at agility training. I don’t know about using those other saline solutions for your nose. I would be hesitant to do so.

Diane Sue, I thought about getting a neti pot, but the more I read about them the less inclined I was to use one. Like your daughter, I read a lot about people getting infections from improper cleaning.

Judy, nice job with Legs and Glutes and All Out Low Impact HiiT. I like the other workouts in the Body Blast series, especially Step, Jump, and Pump. It’s been a while since I’ve done Supersets or Push and Pull, but I like those also. I remember them as being a little easier than Cathe’s other strength workouts.

Valerie, I just read an article in the New York Times about millionaires buying up so much of the land in states that are popular for outdoor sports. The problem is that they are restricting or eliminating access for other residents and visitors. It made me think of you and your husband with your active outdoor lifestyle. It’s surprising that a few people now own thousands of acres of land.

Hello to Lori. I hope that you are doing well.

Carolyn, I read the same article this morning. it is a hard topic to sort out. I hate to see land get bought up and owned privately and closed off, but I also don't like to see public lands abused because people think they should be able to take motorcycles, ATVs, and ORVs everywhere they want on public land. a lot of public lands should be closed to motorized use, but currently lands need wilderness designation to be closed, and then its hard to enforce. different states have tried to work out compromises. once land is open to recreational motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles its pretty much destroyed. also a huge fire hazard.

there are a lot of weird things in eye solutions. not sure I would consider eye/nose solutions interchangeable. I think the nose sprays are plain saline sometimes with a mild lubricant.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Kickbox and Contour, 42 minutes, heart rate average 130, max 158, met 7.5, 269 calories, 2,563 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey's Cardio Blast Athletic Step, 35 minutes, heart rate 145, max 175, 3,164 steps, 244 calories, met 8.4. I finished off with YouTube Sarah Beth Yoga hips and shoulders, 20 minutes, 35 calories, 77 steps. Total time was 97 minutes, 548 calories, 5,804 steps.
Family birthday after church tomorrow, so maybe a stretch before if I have the time.

Judy, thanks for the link, I see that it says Sprouts is a place I can buy it. Since I am there several times a week, I will look for it.

Deb, the nice thing is that Kelly has added in some shorter finishers to add on to workouts. Also a few workouts are only 24 to 28 minutes. My daughter has dry eye and she finally just quit wearing her contacts when working and puts on her glasses. The drops her doctor gave her is not working well. She has to avoid fans.

Carolyn, the Body Blast series was a fun one. I used it a lot. Now with so many workouts I tend to forget some of them. It is too bad that people are buying up large amounts of the land. Makes me wonder why and where they come from. I think it is easier to use just some saline spray. The thing with the neti pot is that it goes through the sinuses. In one side and out the other. Sometimes it would almost give me a headache if the water temp wasn't right. I was always careful to use purified water, warm it, and clean that thing up well. Still, I haven't used it in a very long time.

Valerie, as I watch which allergens are out at particular times and treat accordingly, I think I lean toward grass and ragweed along with cedar pollen as the worst. I have been taking some of the Boiron Histadine before I go out to the pool with my daughter and that has helped. You had a nice long ride yesterday. I remember that Lost show. My husband stayed watching it much longer than me. I lost interest. I think that I have seen Better Call Saul on Prime.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.