Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 5/28/2023

No workout as I shopped. Plus I woke up and stayed up around 3. LOL Hopefully, that'll help me sleep tonight. Typed up the 12 week rotation, plus cardio and core options. I'll choose cardio and core from the list as I go. Cardio 2-3 times a week, and core twice. Curious to see how it'll go. Planning to set up my workouts the night before in hopes that that helps. Going to see if I download the Guide to our computer if I can print in black and white. I think I can, but sometimes it's weird. I'll print off the first week.

Valerie great that you got in the ride at the tree farm. I know what you mean about the people. Years ago when the boys were little and I hauled them in their wagon up to Africa there was rarely anyone walking, and these days it can be a constant stream. I try to me first or second in line and I go right to Africa which most people don't, so I can have a peaceful walk in the woods, and do one or two loops only seeing some workers. But on the way down! Ugh, too many people. There was a couple, and a it's possible they were with one of the school groups and the kids weren't all theirs, but he was on an electric cart, with a kid in his lap and pulling a small trailer with 3 kids in it and she had a double stroller. They were already discussing that they would take the tram back down. I get what you are saying about the primates, especially chimps and gorillas. The colobus are a fun group. Mom, Dad, a three year old and a one year old, plus the "aunt."

Judy great job starting STS 2.0. That's the workout I'm starting with tomorrow. And I am so over the heat and the lack of rain. And still no rain in the forecast for the next two weeks. We have areas out front where there's more actual grass that are getting brown. Backyard has so much non grass that it tolerates no rain much better.

Carolyn great job with Cardio Quick Fix, STS 2.0 Standing Abs Metabolic Core and Mobility. I believe I've said before how bad I am with previewing. LOL I do need to check my discs though, so maybe I'll pop tomorrow's in tonight to check it out. I do like that they show all the options in these workouts. I feel like Cathe really listened to all the things people have been saying they wanted.

Diane Sue nice job with I Max 4 and no equipment abs and chair yoga.

Today I did STS 2.0 Total Body Giant Sets, 59 minutes, 875 steps, 151 calories. I then did STS 2.0 Total Body Stretch, 23 minutes, 38 calories. Total time was 82 minutes, 189 calories. I plan on doing CDorner's latest mobility and her cardio low impact tomorrow.

Giant Sets Total Bodywarm up 10 and 15# and light tubing
group 1: squats 25# dbs 10 reps
group 1: chest press 12# dbs 10 rwps
group 1: overhead press 10# dbs 10 reps
group 1 alternating rear lunge 15# dbs 10 reps
group 1: deadlifts 25# dbs 10 reps
group 1; bent over rows 20# dbs 10 reps
group 1: side to side lunges 15# dbs 10 reps
group 1: bicep curls15# dbs 10 reps
group 1: lying triceps extension 12# dbs 10 reps
group 1: hip thrusts 40# 10 reps

group 2; elevated lunges 4 risers 20# db 10 reps
group 2: alternating single arm chest press 12#dbs 10 reps
group 2: alternating single arm overhead press 10# dbs 10 reps
group 2: single leg rear lunges 15# dbs 10 reps
group 2: single leg deadlifts 20# 10 reps
group 2: kneeling 1 arm row 20# 10 reps
group 2 single leg side lunges 20# 10 reps
group 2: single arm biceps curls 15#dbs 10 reps
group 2; single arm lying triceps extension 12# dbs 10 reps
group 2 hip thrusts (single leg wich I tried and hurt knee crossing leg to do it) I did it on the floor leg extended 25# barbell 10 reps

group 3: squat 25# dbs 8 reps
group 3: chest press 12# dbs 8 reps
group 3; overhead press 10# dbs 8 reps
group 3: alternating rear lunges 15# dbs 8 reps
group 3: deadlifts 25# dbs 8 reps
group 3: bent over rows 25# dbs 8 reps ( I upped it this set)
group 3: side to side lunges 15# dbs 8 reps
group 3: biceps curls 15# dbs 8 reps
group 3: lying triceps extensions 12# dbs 8 reps
group 3: hip thrusts 35# barbell 8 reps

It would figure that it was sunny and lawn finally mowed so I went outside to spray the yard and shrubs, then we get a sudden 30 % chance of rain for just one hour. I am hoping what I did is not undone. So many mosquitos and bugs out there.
My extra heavy and medium Cathe tubing arrived today. I need to keep an eye out on Amazon for the heavy and light. They seem a lot shorter than my older tubing.

Valerie, glad you were able to ride 7 miles at the tree farm today along with a short time skiing.

Judy, I am going to start the with a plan to do the 8 week program then if I want I can go further. Maybe I will start Monday even though I did Giant Sets today. I looked over the exercises and the premixes and I see there is a mix that leaves out unilateral work. Lots of different options.

Carolyn, nice work with 2.0 standing mobility plus core today along with mobility 1. I am going to do the standing abs core again soon in the other workout room now that I know I will be using gliders and weight plates.

Cathe, the covers do not show up on workout manager for awhile after they get the workouts added. Once they are added in they will show up even if it is a month later. If that makes sense. I used to use the workout manager all of the time, but dropped out when I started using other workouts that Cathe a lot. If I do a rotation though I will put it in the calendar. There are times when I got a series that I printed off the workouts a week ahead of time. I have done black and white. Although in the past I realized each workout in the set had it's own color and it made it easier to find the pages. These are all orange except the premixes as far as I can see.

we did a road ride this afternoon. thought we would go early but it was not warm and sunny. we waited until after lunch and did garden things earlier. got really nice out by noon. our usual 15 miler. I'm having a minor derm procedure tomorrow, a potential basal cell that needs to be scraped and cauterized, not surgery, so have to go easy on legs for 2 days. an upper body workout will happen.

diane sue any bands that look degraded at all should be replaced or used very carefully. I had some therabands tear suddenly.t could cause problems with snap back, recoil. good idea to replace.

cathy I hate to sound so anti social but I get very cranky about too many people, crowds. i would never ever ever(!!) go on a cruise. pictures of crowds on beaches look like a nightmare. a lot of parks get crazy busy during summer and impossible to tolerate. even bicycling is unpleasant if there are lots of people. nice now that many people are back to work and we can ride in peace without dodging the stroller brigades. weve been in national parks and just flat out left because everything was so backed up and jammed with people. we go early/ late/ off season. whatever it takes to avoid the jams. I'd rather stay home than deal with that, I dont care WHAT there is to look at. and primates make me think of all the things I dont like about people so I skip the "monkey house". I'm fine with snakes bugs wolves. the worst thing to see in a parking lot is a school bus. or several school buses. I'm outta there!

Today I did Rev’d Up Rumble for 41 minutes and 300 calories burned. My average heart rate was 132 and maximum heart rate was 169.

Cathy, it’s good to get the weekly shopping done. Cathe did seem to listen to what people wanted in their workouts. I read a Facebook post on her page where she was asking for feedback on the new program. Several people shared my feeling of being thoroughly worked but not depleted after Giant Sets Total Body.

Diane Sue, great job with STS 2.0 Giant Sets Total Body.

Valerie, nice job with the road ride and morning gardening.

Hello to Judy.

Reactions: WD
Yesterday I did a short run-walk and 30 minutes of Peloton recovery rides. Today I did STS 2.0 Super Sets Total Body. Another really good one. I like how Cathe set this one up with the 2 minute rests between groupings. I also liked the tricep kickback using the dumbbell and a firewalker loop. With my work schedule this weekend I’m probably going to have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to continue the rotation and do the Tri Sets workout.

Carolyn-Great job with STS 2.0 Standing Abs Metabolic Core and Mobility 1 and Rev'd Up Rumble.

Diane Sue-Great job with I Max, STS 2.0 no equipment abs & chair yoga, STS 2.0 Total Body Giant Sets and the total body stretch. I agree, there are a lot of options for STS 2.0. I’ll probably look at some of the premixes for days when I don’t have much time to workout.

Valerie-Great job with the mountain bike and road rides. I’m with you on cruises. That is one thing that I have never had any desire to do and fortunately my husband feels the same way.

Cathy-I hope you got more sleep last night. That’s great that you are doing the 12 week rotation. I might try that one next fall-winter. It is unbelievably hot today. Looks like next week will be a bit cooler.

Started STS 2.0 today with Giant Sets Total Body. Went as heavy as I could, did have to pause to adjust things as I went this time as I ended up using wrist weights like I did with STS to get in between amounts. What I hadn't expected because it had never been an issue before was how much protest my forearms gave me for using the heavy weights. I think for a couple of the lower body exercises next time I'll use my weighted vest. I actually liked the hip thrusts though I went to light the first round, and I did end up putting one hand behind my head to support my neck for some reps. And I totally get the you don't need cardio thing. My heart rate stayed pretty high for the majority of the workout.

Diane Sue great job with STS 2 Total Body Giant Sets and stretch. I thought I remembered the icons coming later to the workout manager. I figured out how to print the workout cards, but I just didn't want to use of so much ink as even in black and white the shaded areas printed darker. Made up my own for what I did today. We'll see if I can keep up with that.

Carolyn nice job with Rev’d Up Rumble.

Valerie I'm totally with you on the crowds thing, it's why I go walk at the zoo really early and if I'm going hiking I prefer an early start when only the die hards are out. If we are going to another zoo, I just deal with crowds but my agenda is different so that's okay. Great that you got it a good ride.

Judy, yes I had a better nights sleep. I did wake up before 6 though which is fine. This time of year it gets light really early and the birds are quite noisy, so if I wake up after 5, I stay up, and I'm hoping to just keep going with that because I've always preferred to get up early and go to bed early. Looks like once we get to Tuesday it's going to be much nicer for a while with temps staying in the 70's. Great job with the Peloton ride and STS 2 Super Sets Total Body. That'll be my next one.

had a dermatology appt this morning for a spot on my leg. got it removed but need to keep activity lower for 48 hours so it doesn't swell. I dont think it would, but I'll behave and keep fairly quiet today and tomorrow.

a big "no" on cruises. "no" on beach vacations. sitting in the sun sweating is so boring. pictures of crowds of people milling around! my skin doesnt like it either. being a pasty white person, all the cover up and sun screen is not worth it. I dont enjoy shopping or eating out. I have so many things I like that I would much rather do. why waste time and money on things I dont enjoy? good thing my DH likes what I like.

Today I did CDorner Low Impact Cardio Tribute to Tina Turner, cardio mash up, 40 minutes, 205 calories, heart rate 132/161, 3,131 steps. I followed this with CDorner Sweaty mobility Flow from 3 days ago, 37 minutes, 68 calories, heart rate 83/105. Total time was 77 minutes, 273 calories, 3,474 steps. Tomorrow I will do another STS total body. I put the program in my calendar starting Monday. I tried dropping it into the calendar in workout manager and it started it right away leaving Wed as the day off so I had to go back and delete the whole thing. Also the calendar did not print out with anything but dots and numbers on it. I guess I do not know what I am doing. I used to print up the workouts for STS all of the time.

Valerie, good idea to take a rest day so you don't have swelling or anything. I don't care for crowds either.

Carolyn, nice work with Rev'd Up and Rumble today and the 300 calories.

Judy, I will probably do Super Sets Total Body tomorrow. CDorner uses loop bands and tubing with dumbbells in some of her workouts. I do like the changes in the workouts. Nice work on the Peloton ride yesterday and Total Body Super Sets today. I am on the fence about starting with Giant sets Monday or do Total Body Tri-sets on Monday and go on from there. I will come up with something.

Cathy, the icons were in the workout manager when I looked last night. Funny though as they are all the same color so looking at them does not really help that much with which workout. Those workout cards last a long time though. I know what you mean about the ink and we have heavy paper. Just the premixes and workout cards made quite the pile. We have an Epson printer that we fill the cartridges and they last a really long time. We have done lots of printing over 2 years and not had to fill them yet. Even with printing photographs for frames. We got it because HP made it harder and harder to use after market cartridges to save money. Even with the computer chip on the cartridges it got to be a problem.
When I told my husband the Guidebook was 145 pages he asked if I was going to print on both sides. I just decided to print what I need and download the rest to Google drive. I have the Cathe 20# vest, an 8# vest and I think a 6# or maybe 4#. I chose the light ones because Kelly Coffey does some workouts that are cardio and hopping around with them I needed lighter. The 8# crosses in the back and stays up better. For some reason the vests and particularly the Cathe one really hurt my shoulders and wanted to slip back on me. My neck and shoulders do not like that.
Nice work on Giant Sets. I think there was a few places I could have gone heavier. When I want to move up from 15# I can used the Bowflex weights at 17.5.

Last edited:
Cathy-My wrists and forearms were definitely feeling the heavy weights. It has been awhile since I used my heaviest dumbbells for longer workouts. I think I will start using my weighted vest again too.

This morning I did Slammin' Cardio Express. I don't think I've done that one before but it's a really good workout. Some no equipment, some 3 lb weights and some with the step. Then I did Mobility 1 which I had done the other day, but I'm going to try to stick to the rotation and I do like that one a lot. Definitely feeling it in my glutes, and some other places, but glutes are the most noticeable.

Valerie my dislikes are a pretty much in line with yours. Only busy place I go these days are zoos and we try to avoid weekends when possible. After next week, the school trips should be about done as schools are winding down here. They have day camps, but only 2 age groups per day. That's one of the things Derek is doing. He's on his way from an overnight right now. Glad your procedure went well.

Diane Sue nice job with Low Impact Cardio Tribute to Tina Turner and Mobility. I just checked and the icons still aren't showing up for me in the workout manager. I have it posted on the wall about the TV though, so I don't really need to use it. I used it a lot in the past, too, but I get the sense STS 2.0 is only going to be minimally added. We have an Epson Printer, too, with the bottled ink refills, but DH uses it to print off stuff for work. I have been very impressed with how long the ink lasts.

Judy, good to know I'm no the only with sore forearms.

Today is my rest day. The warm weather has returned after the nice mild days that we were having. It was already hot at 10:30 as I walked through the Farmer’s Market. I managed to get some peaches but it will be a few days before they are ready to be eaten. The weather destroyed 90% of Georgia’s peach crop this year.

Judy, nice job with the run/walk, Peloton rides, and STS 2.0 Supersets Total Body.

Cathy, great job with Giant Sets Total Body, Slamming Cardio Express, and Mobility 1. The 12 week rotation is a big commitment. My forearms are sometimes sore when I hold heavy weights with lower body exercises.

Diane Sue, good job with CDorner Low Impact Cardio Tribute to Tina Turner and the Mobility. That sounds like a fun cardio since I love Tina Turner.

Valerie, I’m glad that the dermatology appointment went well and that you are resting a bit. I totally agree about cruises and beach vacations! I don’t mind crowds in large spaces, but I can’t stand being confined with a lot of people.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

I loved Tina turner! A FORCE OF NATURE!. we still have some videos of concerts from the '80's. incredible performances. the energy was so infectious. one with Bryan adams was especially great.

I'm doing my sitting around thing today. did therapy work yesterday skipping some things involving lower leg. I cant feel anything got done. a small 20 min procedure, scraping some skin and cauterizing it. on lower calf. I saw it before she dressed it, and honestly had way worse to myself bicycling or hiking. I will comply. it doesn't hurt, sting, or anything but reminds me not to cross my legs. that's the spot it would rub on my other leg. we are driving tomorrow so that is another quiet day.
I absolutely would not tolerate being crammed into a large concert venue, plus i dont like music that loud so I settle for televised things. cant go to movies for that reason either. sound track is so loud my ears hurt. dont know why it has to be like that.

I love Tina Turner too! I saw her in 1987 in Peoria, Illinois. One of the few concerts I went to when I was younger. She was amazing!

Today I did STS 2.0 Total Body Supersets, 67 minutes, 176 calories, heart rate 101/145, 538 steps. I also did STS 2 foam rolling upper and lower which I felt I really needed.
My husband and I went out to dinner afterward.

Total Body Supersets each superset is done 3 times

Squats 1 25# dbs 8 reps Deadlift barbell 55# 8 reps
Squats 2 25# dbs 8 reps Deadlift barbell 55# 8 reps
Squats 3 25# dbs 8 reps deadlift barbell 55# 8 reps

Incline Chest press 1 12# dbs 8 reps barbell wide grip row 45# 8 reps
inline chest press 2 12 # dbs 8 reps Deadlift barbell wide grip overhand 45# 8 reps
inline chest press 3 12 # dbs 8 reps Deadlift barbell wide grip 45# 8 reps

kneeling sweeper curls 1 15# dbx 8 rep incline triceps extension 12# dbs 8 reps
kneeling sweeper curls 2 15# dbx 8 rep incline triceps extension 12# dbs 8 reps
kneeling sweeper curls 3 15# dbx 8 rep incline triceps extension 12# dbs 8 reps

shrugs 1 15# dbs 8 reps calf raises 25# dbs 8 reps
shrugs 2 15# dbs 8 reps calf raises 25# dbs 8 reps
shrugs 3 15# dbs 8 reps calf raises 25# dbs 8 reps

alternating sumo squat 1 25# db 8 reps alternating cross back lunge 15# dbs
alternating sumo squat 2 25# db 8 reps alternating cross back lunge 20# dbs
alternating sumo squat 3 25# db 8 reps alternating cross back lunge 20# dbs

Incline chest fly 1 10# dbs 8 reps barbell underhand grip row 55# 8 reps
Incline chest fly 2 10# dbs 8 reps barbell underhand grip row 55# 8 reps
Incline chest fly 3 10# dbs 8 reps barbell underhand grip row 55# 8 reps

hammer curls 1 15# dbs 8 reps single arm tricep kickback with loop 10# w/ light loop 8 reps
hammer curls 2 15# dbs 8 reps single arm tricep kickback with loop 10# w/ light loop 8 reps
hammer curls 3 15# dbs 8 reps single arm tricep kickback with loop 10# w/ light loop 8 reps

single arm side lateral raise s 1 8# 8 reps double arm thumb to thumb rear delt fly 8#
single arm side lateral raise s 2 8# 8 reps double arm thumb to thumb rear delt fly 8#
single arm side lateral raise s 3 8# 8 reps double arm thumb to thumb rear delt fly 5#

Carolyn, I hope you enjoyed the rest day. Fresh peaches would be nice.

Cathy, nice work today on Slammin Cardio Express and Mobility 1. I am trying to make myself cut down on the cardio, but I think on the days I do not do weights I will do short cardio. Normally I would feel the need to do some cardio before weights to warm up well.

Valerie, Tina Turner and Brian Adams would be a good mix to listen to.

Judy, Chris said when she was doing the workout, that even if you didn't want to do the moves but enjoyed the music just do moves that you like. It was a mish mosh of different types of work. I saved it to go back and do again. I was a little sore this morning when I got up and wondered if I could do the workout today. I managed though.

Did Stacked upper body today, the whole thing plus some extra reps thrown in, then therapy related work. Ive been using Cathe level weights but this one is not crazy heavy. then loads of stretches, work on legs with the band. took my bandage off today. a quarter sized divot but strangely, zero discomfort. must not be many nerve endings around there. washed and re-dresssed. no swelling at all. I will be ready to do something on monday for sure. we are driving all day tomorrow. I dont have many weights there, heaviest is 15, so will stick with this workout, but feel ready to move on to some others.

I never saw Tina live. I would have but never had an opportunity. wish it would have happened. it was a duet with bryan adams, and they looked like they were having a wonderful time together. you cant fake that kind of chemistry.

Just finished STS 2 Supersets Total Body. I adjusted a few weights as I went through the rounds, used my wrist weights for a couple things and the weighted vest for a few. I did drop the third set of deadlifts because my back was not happy with them, though it didn't bother me for anything else. I didn't have as much of a problem with my forearms today, the vest helped with that.

Carolyn I'm glad you found some peaches yesterday. A lot of crops have been affected in the last year. Produce that we normally get from California is coming from Mexico.

Valerie I have no interest at all in going to a concert. The only actual concert I ever went to was Styx back in about '80. They were at MSU in the old field house and the acoustics were horrible there. Great job with Stacked Upper Body and therapy. Glad to hear the area on your leg isn't bothering you. Safe travels tomorrow.

Diane Sue great job with Total Body Super Sets and Foam Rolling.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.