Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/22

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No "Q's" yesterday. . Sometimes she just gets a little to excited and does her own thing. :) We had fun though.

Valerie, I bet getting the garage door done is a big relief. One less item on the "To Do" list. I am not a "lover" of herbal teas, just had to get used to them to try to eliminate any acid causing things. Coffee and caffeine being one big one.

Carolyn, nice job with the gloves. I can't wait for the weather to be nicer so the farmer's markets will have more and we can start going back to them.

Diane Sue, that project sounds like fun. Was it a school project? A really fun project for kids is making fleece dog toys. It's inexpensive and dogs like them. I can't imagine how it was there after that bombing...so horrible. They had to get that house down quickly, it was so dangerous that they had a police car there that whole night to make sure no one tried to get into it or I am sure not to loot the one that still was somewhat whole.

Hi to Lori & Judy,

Last day of the trial today, it will be a long one as we have to take everything down, load the truck then put all the equipment back at the training hall.

Take care,

Last edited:
Good morning ladies!

Friday was a quick workout. Did aTotal Body SB workout then followed up with her bounce that really targets the thighs.there isn’t much bouncing in this one, but it exhausts my quads like no other workout. This was about 40 mins. Yesterday, I did Live FT Cardio Legs. This one is a nice mix with alternating cardio, weights and FT. I like this one. Actually, do not think there is a FT workout I do not like!

Yesterday was so beautiul and I feel like I missed it. Never went out of the house. Our new recliner sofa was delivered and then I set up the projector and sound system. For a bit I had wires everywhere. I have been able to hide some up in the ceiling but more to go. I need to order longer cords. We put the screen up last week and yesterday I was creative with it. I used an older screen to extend the sides so our 120 inch is now at least 150 inches maybe even more. It is massive!! We watched Jurassic Park and it was amazing! Felt like we were in a movie theater. Once we add some decor I will take pictures. We will enjoy this room for years to come.

Deb...yeah on your past few days!! Awesome your doggie got first in one of them. Which doggie won? I missed this. That is terrible about the fires. Wow way to close for comfort. Very sad.

Carolyn...I love standing abs and would always work my core if I did standing. I have a few I have made up from Youtube. My favorite is a Popsugar compliation I made up with Anna Renderer. My lunch ladies used to love it. Great calorie burn...hoping to move my heavy bag over into a better spot for me to use it. Kickboxing really burns calories!

Diane Sue...I bet that was challenging working out with gertie and your grandson. Too cute. Yesterday during my FT workout GiGi layed on her back so as my leg would come down I would rub her belly with my foot. She was very happy and I was getting my workout in.. lol!

Valerie...great you were able to get the door fixed quickly. Madeline and my mother-in-law put hot chocolate in their coffee. I tried it and did not like it at all.

Judy..you are doing great with Body Beast. One tough program! My son is missing his workouts. He told me last week he is going to drive here straight from work to get a workout in then go home. Said it would be the same as joining a gym but cheaper! Lol! Glad I have everything he needs. :)

Have a great day all!

This morning I did the Ultimate Yogi Yin Yoga which was 65 minutes and 116 calories burned. I like to do this practice periodically because of the deep slow stretch. I can really feel my muscles release during the 3-5 minutes of holding the poses.

Deb, good luck today. I’m sure that you will have fun regardless of the outcome.

Lori, your basement sounds like it’s coming together nicely. That is some viewing screen that you have now!

Judy, I haven’t tried the Body Beast workouts, but it seems like you are doing great with them. Have you done a Body Beast rotation before?

Diane Sue, I have noticed that Sprouts raises the prices on some items. I needed multivitamins yesterday and realized that the regular price was much higher than normal. With the “discount” they were slightly below the price that I wanted to pay. It sounds like you had a fun day with the grandkids.

Waving hello to Valerie.

I have the kitchen cabinet like diane sue.... a whole bunch of boxes of tea. I don't like any of them! they always sound good but I never like the taste. DH likes a "market spice" tea that is local. an orange cinnamon tea. it's the best of the bunch.

Deb it is so aggravating that people come by just for a chance to grab something, while things are chaotic. human nature can be disappointing. what is a lower life form than a looter?

Big time garden day yesterday. I am cutting myself some slack. having trouble sleeping and eating, and not getting in many workouts. the upcoming funeral is a major stressor.

we had to fix the garage door.... only way into the garage, and then into our house. you don't think about how important a garage door opener is until it's not working.

Did errands with alot of walking, Then 30 on elliptical MM triceps and core 1. My sister is awful to deal with, just bat shit crazy. I am the only one left who will even talk to her. She drives everyone crazy but I feel sorry for her. even her son has walled her out of his life. She exhausts everyone and is unhappy about everything. You try to do something thoughtful and kind and it comes back to bite. No way to explain this better.

Last edited:
Today was my usual rest day. I went to my daughter's for brunch. Everyone else had other engagements today. She sent me home with some pre-made salads they got and no one is eating. They are not veggie eaters. I had an asian chicken one for brunch. I ate another tonight that I think was a bit too filling and greasy. It didn't settle so well. It was spinach with glazed pecans, cranberries, lots of bacon, cheese, peaches in the corner of the bowl which I did not eat, and an orange tucked inside that I just took out. I wondered if the orange was washed before it was stuck in with the salad since it still had the sticker on it. I put my own dressing on it because the one that came with it was a sweet raspberry vinegrette. I have two more of these salads and may be taking some stuff out of them before I eat them. Like two thirds of the bacon. I usually only use sugar free nitrate free bacon.

Deb, I am sure it is still fun even if there was no Q's. Most of the time when there is something like that they have some police standing watch. I guess if the house was a danger it would have to come down quickly. Gertie loved her fleece toy. I kept trying to put it back together as she would chew on it and want to play with everyone with it. I should have my granddaughter do that. The quilt is one that is a kit she got with some of her allowance and is fleece squares with cuts around them so you tie them together. Then there are appliques to put on some of the squares. She loves doing things like that. She has been doing embroidery work with her mother. I hunted them down a second hoop that I had here. I think she is sometimes disappointed that her little dog muffin doesn't play like Gertie does. The dog adores Olivia and whines if she is separated from her, but she really never plays or wants to chew on anything. My granddaughter spends her allowance on special canned food as treats for her dog and treats for her. I often wonder how the dog was treated in the past when they got her from Pets and People. She has a huge tattoo on her belly I guess from the pet rescue, and doesn't seem to interested in males. She likes attention though and will tap you with her paw trying to get it. She is around 5 years old now.

Lori, I bet you are really going to love your new set up with the large screen and reclining sofa. It takes so much longer than one would think to set up and deal with all of the wiring. LOL on GT getting rubbed with your foot. I am sometimes sorry when I pet Gertie while working out because she wants to get closer to snuggle. It doesn't always work. She is a bit better about moving out of my way though. Sometimes I will nudge her and she acts totally indifferent to it. I just figure when I workout with kids and the dog it is like running a moving obstacle course. I try to play with Gertie and give her attention when I workout though, as it is part of our fun time. She heads upstairs and waits for me when she sees I am grabbing my cell, tablet, and agenda book. Then she grabs her toys and bone. Sometimes I toss her squeaky toy over the railing a few times and she runs up and down the stairs fetching it and that helps her get off some energy. This is the routine, then file her nails and get a couple of cookies, then workout. Fast feet shuffles, speed drills, jacks and heavy bag all get her excited. She grabs her toy and shakes it around and prances and jumps around. It is rather funny watching it. I just hate when I am in a hurry to get the workout over with and she looks disappointed. I am sure you love it that your son wants to come there and work out :)

Carolyn, I stopped at Sprouts today to pick up some chips to take to my daughter's and I got a bulletproof bar and it was 2.99 so they took 75 cents off for the 25% off. Last week the bars were priced at 2.29, so this was only a few cents off.

Valerie, once in awhile I while I will drink an Orange spice tea or Chai Spice tea. That is mostly because there are times when I want a hot drink and don't want coffee or have coffee made. I suffered through a box of Valerian coffee once that was supposed to be a relax tea. It left me drowsy and I decided it wasn't worth the awful taste.

Last edited:
Good morning,

The trial is over. It was a great 3 days but a lot of work. We had a "double Q" yesterday which I was so happy about. That is when you qualify in both the major runs on the same day. She was amazing!
My whole body ached last night from all the standing and walking on the turf. Granted it is a grass type turf, but it is concrete underneath. I actually went over 13,000 steps yesterday, my highest day ever.

Lori, the Live FT cardio leg workout is one I want to try. The room you are doing sounds really nice. Your own theater! Kylee is the one I am showing now. I will post a video of one of her runs as soon as I get it back from the guy that filmed it for me. Keegan is retired from all that stuff. He is an official couch potato. All he likes to do is chase the ball outside. That is his sport. :).

Carolyn, wow, 3-5 minute poses is awesome to be able to do.

Valerie, take a break from doing too much....It is a stressful time. When do you go to the funeral etc? Does your sister live there? I think everyone has that cupboard with all the tea that we don't like. LOL...I keep saying I will try it again and maybe I will like it better this time...NOT! It is nice that if you ever have someone over that drinks herbal tea, you have a nice selection to offer.

Diane Sue, that's great that your granddaughter likes to be creative with crafts etc. I will post the link to the video that helped me the most in making those dog toys. I bought my first one at a dog show, then decided to make them myself. A nice thing to do is to donate them to pet shelters. Smiling at Gertie and your workout routing together.

Hi to Judy,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a short high intensity interval ride. We had a beautiful weekend, sunny and in the 60's. It was a welcome change from the cold and snow. So nice to see the sun!

Deb-Sounds like the trial went very well. That's great that you had a "double Q". I can't wait to see Kylee's video! Nice job on the steps too!

Lori-Your room sounds wonderful! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. It's nice that your son is going to work out at your house instead of a gym. I bet you are happy about that :)

Carolyn-I really like those long, deep stretches in Yin Yoga too. I think that has helped my low back more than anything else I've tried.

Valerie-It is a very stressful time for you. I agree with Deb, taking a break is a good idea. I also have a cupboard full of teas that I will never drink.

Diane Sue-It sounds like Gertie enjoys your workout time :) Your granddaughter's dog sounds sweet.

Judy

Guess we all have a 'tea cabinet". tea always sounds good but I learned to walk past, no matter how it looks.
the light workout yesterday felt good, and is a good distraction. I will try to do something for that purpose alone.

Deb the funeral is Saturday. the long wait between her death and the funeral has not been good. the anxiety and planning has been a massive stress producer. my brother and sister live there, but don't talk. it is more of a war zone. my sister has alienated everyone in the family! her son lives near but has completely blocked contact for several years. he got married and didn't invite her. I am the only one who called and talked to her. no one offered to drive her. (she can't drive anymore). I will probably have to pick her up etc. I can't make her take a bus to her mothers funeral! talking to her on the phone is a stress by itself and I've had to talk to her regularly, and thread a line between her and brother/SIL who are doing everything. I'm not comfortable with flying to begin with. I used to fly a lot. once I get going I will be OK but a major stress before hand.

that is great Kylee did so well!. It looks like its about the trainer as much as the dog so be proud of what you two have accomplished. whole lot of steps!.

so funny about Yin yoga. I didn't like it at all. found it annoying and tension producing not relaxing. I could not wait to get out of the postures. this is not a criticism of your enjoyment of them but not for me. I could take any 2 classes q week, liked the regular flow yoga much better.

Last edited:
Today I did Fit Split Low Impact Cardio plus Metabolic Conditioning for 54 minutes and 265 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 156.

Deb, glad that you had a good day yesterday. I use yoga props with the Yin yoga for some of the poses. They are helpful in getting comfortable in the poses. I watched a couple of Yin Yoga clips on YouTube with Michelle Goldstein where she talks about using pillows and straps to get comfortable in the poses which helps to hold them longer.

Valerie, I guess we do all have a “tea” cabinet. I keep trying different types but I don’t care for them. I use to feel the same way about slow yoga, but I have developed a greater appreciation for the different types of practices. Now I go with what my body seems to need.

Hello to Lori, Judy, and Diane Sue.

Reactions: WD
Today's workout was much longer than I had anticipated. I should have skipped the cardio so it wasn't so long. I decided this week I would do Amy Bento Ross drop set strength 3 day split which works every body part twice in a week. I chose split 3 first as it is the longest one that should have been 72 minutes, but took me 97 minutes for writing notes down for next time. For some reason I cannot find all of my notes I had down in the past. For cardio I did a timesaver mix from Cathe's Crossfire, fitness blast and firewalker tabata, 27 minutes, heart rate average 123, max 155, 2,117 steps, 178 calories, met 6. I then started drop sets strength split 3, legs, shoulders, biceps, triceps, and core, 97 minutes, heart rate 104 average, max 153, 1,381 steps, met 428 calories. Total time was 2 hours 4 minutes, calories burned 606.
Drop sets all exercises done in sets of 8,10,12 reps
sumo squat arm positions change each set (rack) 20#dbs, 8 reps, (arms up to L position) 10#dbs, 10 reps, (arms overhead) 8#dbs 12 reps all right then repeat second set all on the left side
Bulgarian lunge 20#dbs 8 reps , (arms rack) 10#dbs 10 reps, arms overhead 8#dbs 12 reps all done on the right then repeat on the left
Close stance squats 20#dbs 8 reps, 12#dbs 10 reps arms move forward and back, squat overhead press 10#dbs 8 reps
single leg deadlift 20#dbs, 8 reps, w/ a row 15#dbs 10 reps, w/ lunge back push off 10#dbs 12 reps right then repeat all on the left
shoulders
seated Arnold press 15#dbs 8 reps point in like pouring at the bottom, 12#dbs 10 reps, 10#dbs 12 reps
Double Vs forward and back 15#dbs 8 reps, 10#dbs 10 reps, 5#dbs 12 reps
Eagles seated (lateral raise) 10# dbs 8 reps, 8#dbs 10 reps, 5#dbs 12 reps
Biceps
bentover concentration curl(done in a squat position rotate at the bottom) 20# db 8 reps, 15#db 10 reps, 12#db 12 rep all right then repeat left
hammer curl 20# 8 reps, (from the hip starting less range) 15#dbs 10 reps, 10#dbs 12 reps curl into long curl
seated curl 12#dbs 8 reps, 10#dbs 10 reps (turn to bench like pouring at bottom) , 8#dbs 8reps( curl to long curl turn to step)
Triceps
wide kickback 15#dbs 8 reps, 12#dbs 10 reps, 10# dbs 12 reps
overhead tension press (bringing dumbbells together at end of move) 12#dbs 8 reps, 10#dbs 10 reps, 8#dbs 12 reps
triceps push ups with bench 3 risers fall down push ups 8 reps, push up jump back walk in 10 reps, push up with one leg elevated 12 reps
Core
standing figure 8 with halos 8#dbs 8 reps right and left repeat
tuck levitation 8 on step 8 on floor repeat
crunch lying on step with head elevated arms extended overhead 8 reps repeat
plank on step hop knees in right then left 8 reps repeat

It was so weird this morning when I was typing in my workout and all of a sudden Amazon popped up?? I swear I was just typing. I have had this happen with my tablet many times. I will be playing words with friends or something and my ibotta app or Amazon have popped up. My husband went on my facebook account to some place where he could see what apps I had that were coming up on facebook and gathering data on me. I showed him which ones I don't use anymore and the 3 that I do he adjusted what they could get. That really does make me angry because I do not use my facebook account for my apps. That workout left me tired and I need to be cleaning house so I can run errands tomorrow before Wednesday family dinner. I should have shortened it. It is easy to go to the chapters menu and just do certain body parts. My idea was to do the longest first, then workout 2 which is shortest and finish off on Friday with workout 1 which is 61 minutes. I could remove the cardio which I think is 9 minutes and do it on a cardio only day.

Deb, nice work on the double qualifying :D I think standing and walking around all day is a lot harder than it would seem. I will love having the video on making those dog toys. I kept trying to figure out how to put the one Gertie had back together right and ended up tying it. The pictures reminds me of when my older grandchildren were young and we made key chains making folds like that with flat plastic cord. I pulled it out recently and couldn't remember how we did it. I probably had a grandchild figure it out and show me :)

Judy, we have sun today too and it is nice having it out and some warmth again. Most of the week will be nice except Wednesday which has rain again and cooler temps. I am ready for some sunshine :)

Valerie, I am sorry the funeral has circumstances that make the whole event even more stressful. Too bad your sister alienated the rest of her family. It is hard for me to understand, but I know my husband did police security for a funeral once because of bad feelings among the family members. That is such a tragedy in my opinion. I wonder why we all hang on to those teas we don't care for. I guess I could pass them on to another family member that might use them.
I am not much to enjoy things that are supposed to be relaxing, slow stretching, yin yoga, hot tubs, whirlpools, and pretty much anything that makes me feel like I need to go do things more than I need to be doing it. But the yin yoga really has helped a lot with tightness and pain I have had and I make myself do it once in awhile. I just find myself thinking about all of the other things that I could be doing with that time.

Valerie-that does sound like a lot of anxiety and stress. Your sister is fortunate to have you. Flying would be a major stress for me too. It's been so long since I've flown that I would probably be very anxious. It didn't bother me when I did it regularly.

Carolyn-I use yoga blocks for most of the yin positions.

Diane Sue-That was a long workout! Great calorie burn! I've never done any of Amy Bento's strength workouts, but they look like good ones.

I am not filling in all the sordid details... this is decades in the making, not a recent dust up. don't know why there can't be a truce at least for a funeral. luckily we don't need an armed guard! neither side is blameless here but my sister, who really does MEAN well, manages to drive everyone away from her. makes people hide from her. I always feel the need for a huge stiff drink, like wastebasket size, after conversations with her.

we did a 2 hr 10 min mt bike this morning. that helps, it was lovely out and I worked hard.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was an awesome workout. Started out with live Bday bash. Did the boxing only using the heavy bag. What was great is I did my workout using the projector and sound system. Cathe was life size and I felt I was right there working out in her gym. :). I then did a Lekfit Bounce and a BBS dance to finish off. 83 mins 603 cal. Later in the day I took a nice walk with GiGi. Brought her long lead so she could jump in the lake and swim a bit. She was in heaven! Today was another BBS dance along with a Lekfit bounce that concentrated on legs. I found out over the weekend that BBS will still be updating their old app (the one I love). So I will continue on until they cancel. I have cancelled the new app but have access until May 2.

Deb...yeah!!! That is awesome Kylee!!! I bet you are exhausted. That is a lot of work. Hahhaha on the couch potato. Good for Keegan! :)

Valerie...I am so sorry with all that you are going thru. I know it is hard. Good that you are getting some good workouts in. I find working out always helps when I am sad or stressed.

Diane Sue...what a great workout today...and long!!! You amaze me. I am kind of disappinted that Amy did not post more bounce workouts. Sounded like she was going to do a few. Oh well. You reminded me that I have Linda Woolridge’s dropsets. Completely forgot about them. That is crazy about the apps.

Judy...I used yoga blocks when I did the p90x yoga. I always say this but I wish I liked Yoga! Our weekend was nice too. I was able to start cleaning up our outside patio to be able to sit out there for a few hours. Was soooo nice!!

Have a great night all!!! Hello to Carolyn!!!

Judy, Amy can get creative with her strength workouts.

Valerie, I am glad that you have an outlet for the stress with your rides. It probably helps let some of the stress off at least for awhile.

Lori, that is great that they are still keeping the BBS old site for at least awhile. I was disappointed as well in Amy not following through. She had all of these plans on posting before and after pictures working on nutrition and fitness and the new youtube workouts. Maybe she hit a snag like Kelly did.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I was so sore from the weekend.

Judy, we had your weekend weather yesterday, and hopefully it will continue today, although it is supposed to rain later this afternoon.

Valerie, that is good that you will be picking up your sister for the funeral. Sad that there is so much dissension in the family, especially at a time like this.

Carolyn, it sounds like those props really work. I always wondered what they were used for.

Diane Sue, that was a long workout. I hate that computer websites, and apps are basically "watching" everything we do. I went to "Chewy.com" to look at a travel dog crate and every time I am on any site at all, I get Chewy ads. I never even bought anything. I need to clear the cookies from my computer. I will post that video, of making the toy, it is on my iPad. Here is a good written description: https://createlaughgrow.com/home/2017/6/26/how-to-make-a-square-knot-dog-toy-thats-really-square

Lori, that is great that Gigi is now swimming in the lake, just like Chester did. :)

Class this morning, after I try to nap...did not get much sleep last night.

Take care,

Deb, I order dog and cat supplies for my sister( on her credit card) and use their free delivery system since dog food and cat litter a re too heavy to haul on the bus. Afterward I am inundated with chewey ads!! I don’t even have a pet!!
I think a day off is in order when you are sore. or at most, a light workout of things that aren't sore.

Yes, I’m trying to be the adult in the room here. brother and SIL are gettingthe job done. sister wants to be involved, furious that she is not, but she gets critical/hostile and lobs hand grenades into the works. She can’t seem to play nice. Never could, even when she was 5 yo. I think it's telling that I am the only person who has called her. even that was criticized because she got angry I had not called her instantly when I found out our mother had passed. my brother called me, I talked to him for maybe 5 minutes, I talked with DH for a few minutes, then called sister. apparently our cousin happened to call the hospital in those few intervening minutes, was told she had passed, and so HE knew before SHE knew and that generated heat directed at me. REALLY??:rolleyes: no matter what, she is angry about it. no wonder people get tired of dealing with her.

Even if you accidentally click on a product on a page margin, you are buried in ads for whatever it is.

Lori that sounds like a fantastic workout set up. TV sounds like a show stopper.

Last edited:
Reactions: WD
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did part of P90X3 CVX, the sample workout that came with Body Beast. That was pretty intense, I would say similar to Cathe's X10. Then I did BB Bulk Chest and Beast Abs. This morning I did a short indoor ride, about 40 minutes.

Deb-it's cooler today, and we might get some rain. I won't complain though, as it seems like spring is finally here.

Valerie-Nice job on the long bike ride!
I'm sorry that your sister is so difficult. That is sad and it makes it even harder when the family is going through a stressful time like this.

Lori-That's good news about the BBS app. Maybe I'll do a couple weeks of Linda's dropsets after Body Beast.

Hi to Diane Sue & Carolyn!

Judy

This morning I did Les Mills Combat Extreme Cardio Fighter, 56 minutes, heart rate average 126, max 161, Met 6, 5,103 steps. I then did Les Mills Combat 30 Live, 32 minutes, heart rate average 128, max 163, 215 calories, Met 6.1, 3,152 steps. I forgot that there was no stretch on this so I did Kelly Body Design Yoga Flow, 13 minutes, 32 calories, 43 steps. Workout was 1 hour 41 minutes, 615 calories, 8,298 steps O:

Deb, even when I click on something I have things I just look up show up all over the place. Particularly in my email and facebook. I looked at a battery charger for my husband once and those things are all over my stuff till it is almost aggravating. Thanks for the link. I saved it, it looks pretty easy. I will have to pick up some fleece. I had heard old t-shirts work??

Valerie, your sister is wrong and you told her as quickly as possible. Your husband would definitely be first. I would let her seethe and pout and ignore it. That is all that you can do. It just means she is not a very happy person.

Judy, CVX is similar to X10 , but I would rather do X10. I did not care at all for starting right out doing jacks with weights in my hands. I have done it a few times though. I have the set.

Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix workout 1 and most of workout 2. I had to shorten it because of a doctors appointment. Workout time was 42 minutes with 328 calories burned. My average heart rate was 137 and maximum heart rate was 155. I saw my breast specialist this morning and everything is great. I don’t have to see her again for a year.

Valerie, I am so sorry that your sister is adding to your stress. She does sound like a very unhappy person.

Deb, a rest day was probably a good idea after your busy weekend.

Diane Sue, that was quite a workout yesterday. And you followed up with another long workout today. Great job!

Judy, good work with P90X3 and Body Beast. You are also getting in some impressive workouts.

Lori, doing a Cathe Live workout with your new giant television screen must be wonderful. Talk about being immersed in the setting!

Have a great afternoon everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.