Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/19/2023

Today I did CDorner Step and Thighs which uses the latex loops for the thigh work alternating with basic step, 44 minute, 193 calories, heart rate 125/158, 3,141 steps. I followed with one of her mobility flow stretch workouts, 30 minutes, 63 calories, 69 steps. Total time was 74 minutes, 3,210 steps, 259 calories.

Carolyn nice work with KCM Cardio Quick Fix. That reminds me I need to have our guy come out again and check our HVAC system. He said last time that the reading was a tiny bit off and I may need to have the capacitor changed on the unit outside. Not a big deal I guess as he said about 68 dollars for the part.

Valerie, I hope the weather gets better for you. We finally got some warm weather today and it got up to the low 70's. Although it is awfully windy, but normal for Oklahoma. I waited till 10 o'clock last night to go out and spray some our juniper in front to keep from getting bag worms again. I do not want those infestations again this year. The wind seemed to die down for a while last night.
I had MyChart with the Orthopedic Surgeon and their hospital. I think that one is set up where I could move others to it. I have Portals for the Heart Hospital, my doctor which never seems to work, and my cardiovascular doctor now has one. Oh, and the arthritis center which I like as I can add supplements or remove them myself and look at my medical info and blood work. My Chart was pretty good at seeing everything there and contacting or messaging the doctor at the office. The cardiovascular Athena or something like that did not have much as I was going to check out my visits and look at the last time I had a stress test and could not seem to find anything. Just my blood pressure and that I had just have a visit. To look at anything I had to download Acrobat reader and it still did not give me what I was looking for. Each Portal is run through a different medical group and hospital group. When I go to the Arthritis center they always have me fill in vaccines and then they add them to my chart.
My bank/credit union is redoing their whole system on the first and keeps sending mailings saying to watch for learning how to use and to print or save our monthly statements otherwise anything before March will not be there. We will have to pay to get any statements we want after that. So, I have been going through them to keep at least a few months. I have some downloads save. I hate big changes.

This morning I did Pyramid Pump Upper Body, up only premix. That was 35 minutes and 193 calories burned. My average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate was 174. I had a phone appointment after that then went to Kroger’s. We had to move the treadmill for the garage door project and it was in the upright position. Well we could not get the latch pin out to lower the platform back to its normal position yesterday We tried forever with no success! I even dug the manual out and we still couldn’t get it. When my husband’s trainer came today she worked on it and was able to fix it. Her years of experience in gyms paid off for us.

Valerie, I’m glad that you were able to get in a ride. I hope that the weather cooperates for your travel plans.

Diane Sue, nice job with CDorner Step and Thighs and stretch. Unfortunately our HVAC appointment didn’t end with simple maintenance. We will be replacing both systems next week. I‘m not really surprised since they are so old. We thought we would need to do this two years ago, but it wasn’t necessary then. We’ve been in this house 25 years and many things need replacing.

Hello to Cathy and Judy.

I had my first spinal injection this afternoon. it was not that bad. stung a little for sure, but if it helps it will be so worth it. I may need more than one but that was always a possibility. we rode the last two days and I did therapy work because I was sure I would have to take a day off, and I should do that. stretching only, heat/ice and back on my nonsteroidal meds now. this is not "instant" and I should have improvement over several days to weeks. all depends on how I respond. Im hopeful.

carolyn new systems are more efficient. 25 yr old units start running into more maintenance and cost more to run. we did it about 3 yrs ago and have been in our house 30+ yrs. not worth fixing old stuff sometimes.

Well my last few days have just been a series of switching gears. After being in the house in the morning day after day, yesterday-no Mopsy. I went out and found him on the paths and led him back in. In doesn't like being carried. He ate and escaped again. So, I took Flopsy. She's a bit heftier than I thought, though not enough to be an issue, and the vet is pretty sure that based on his exam, she's 2-3 years older than they thought she was when she went in to be spayed. So, 10-12 instead of 8.

Then I'd been watching the weather, since it was looking a bit on the iffy side for Saturday. Got home from shopping today and checked weather apps and the predictions got worse for northern lower Michigan. Hello Gaylord, I'm looking at you! For the umpteenth time since I've been making this drive. Up to 10" Saturday and I was planning to leave Sunday morning. So, I swung into go mode and I'm leaving in the morning. Spent the afternoon doing laundry, packing, making food etc. Going to refine the food stuff, minus what's in the fridge and call it a night. While it's going to double the cost since I have weekend rates and an extra night, the plus side is that it's Derek's weekend off from work, so we can get in a couple hikes. And his GF wants me to go to some music event Saturday night. Though I'm waiting to find out what kind of music. LOL Needless to say no workouts have been happening. Taking my Boss Bands/Loops, wrist weights and my mat with me. Plus I should be able to go walk along the bay in the morning. Sunday at least should have a good sunrise. And when it's not cloudy they are spectacular and the path along the bay allows for perfect views to the east.

Valerie what you describe with doctors and records as having at one time been dictation sounds a lot like what Nick does as a scribe in ED. He works with a doctor and enters all the patient info for the doctor. Sounds like he sometimes also just works the initial in take. Safe travels. I hope the injection works well.

Judy I'm sorry to hear about your family member. Hospice is a blessing at such times.

Hi to Carolyn and Diane Sue.

Today I did a workout that I did last week, CDorner 4000 step cardio hi/or low impact 70's and 80's music, 37 minutes, 201 calories, heart rate 133/166, 4,004 steps. I followed this with Perfect Pump Upper some of back, biceps, triceps but subbing more kickbacks for the dips and the extended stretch, 30 minutes, heart rate 93/130, 73 calories. Total time 67 minutes, 274 calories. I finally got around to ordering STS 2.0. I doubt I will use some of them, but when I figured the price out of the few I really wanted it was cheaper to buy the whole set. Besides it will be nice to have them packed in one set that will not take as much as individual ones. I left out the exercises that would aggravate my sore upper back and neck and shoulders. I am trying to get some packing done to leave on Saturday. Feeling sad as one of our friends died that we have known for years and was in academy with my husband. Then my daughter texted me today and her husband's mother is in hospice right now and is not going to make it. They said they did not think she would live another 48 hours. Her and her husband did motorcycle riding with us and were friends as well. Last time I seen her was May at my granddaughter's wedding. She did not look well at all at the wedding party dinner a few nights before the wedding.

Perfect Pump Upper
Pullovers skipped
one arm row set 1 20# 12 reps set 2 20# 10 reps
bent over clutch row 15# dbs 10 reps
posture pulls tubing
rapid row toss 15#
standing sweeper curls 15's 8 reps
clutch curls 15's 10 reps
biceps curls 15's 10 reps set 2 15# dbs 12's 10 rep, set 3 10# dbs 10 reps
no shoulders
no chest
overhead triceps extensions 15# db 12 reps
kickbacks 10# dbs 10 reps
2 more sets of kickbacks 10# 10 reps no triceps dips
stretch and extended stretch

Carolyn, nice work with Pyramid Pump Upper Body today. I am glad your husband's trainer was able to fix the treadmill for you. I am careful about the servicing on ours. Our last house had two very old units and it seemed they had to work hard and never cooled or heated well. The service people there told us we would probably have to replace soon. They had repaired one of them. I really appreciate the one here. It cools well and heats well.

Valerie, I am glad the injection did went well. I hope it helps soon and you do not need to do it too many times. When the doctor told me he could give me the injection in my neck he did not act like it was a big deal. He showed me the pictures and where he would place the needle. He would have done it then unless I wanted some some anesthesia and would need someone to drive me home. I decided not to. I have learned a lot of things to do to keep my neck from hurting. I think I won't do it unless I get back to the point where I would beg for some relief.

Cathy, odd to find out that your cat is a lot older than thought. I guess it would be harder to tell unless the cat was a kitten. The vet guessed 2 and a half months when I took her in after she was found on the street. So her birthday always figures in to be August. She is 10 now. They could tell by her teeth development. Funny about Mopsy taking off. Sorry you had to rearrange your schedule because of weather. Hope things go well and you get in some good hikes. Hope the music is good.

cathy I will be the first to admit all cats( why did I think this was a rabbit?) don't agree on how to be handled. some you must be gentle and sneaky, others you have to grab and stuff to get in the carrier. our second-to- last kitty was bigger and needed to be tricked. walk toward the carrier facing away from it, spin around and stuff before he could block with his front legs. it was challenging. always easy to get back in at the vet after they did anything though! he was a very smart cat. he didn't get easier with age.

I think some specialties get assistance recording. transcription used be routine in offices , but corporate medicine found they could stop paying people to do it. job went bye-bye for most to cut costs. DH used to record into a hand held recorder after each patient, while things were fresh. now a lot of docs type and record while they see you. some dictate voice recognition software. not everyone does it the same.

diane sue it was in- office procedure, injection to base of spine. small amount of local anesthesia introduced just before the cortisone. had to be off all potential anticoagulant a week ahead of time which didnt help my discomfort since NSAIDS and even advil were not ok. done with a flouroscopy guided image. took about 15 minutes to get in position and do. some discomfort very brief, a little because of anxiety. needed to have a driver in case I had any difficulty related to it. not supposed to drive for 24 hours tho I dont have any problems from it, but a general safety rule. it helped a lot already. I could not avoid positions where I was getting very uncomfortable and had developed bursitis on that side as well as constant aching across my back and hip. a problem that makes you want to sit all the time is not a good thing! yes, I was begging for relief! the cortisone reduces the irritation/swelling causing most of the discomfort. I may need several of these, to keep it under control. or not. its "wait and see" what happens. spine surgery is the only other option and I'm in no hurry to explore that. this is all scoliosis related caused by one leg being shorter than the other, not something fixable.
We left early for the 12:30 appt. about 30 min away. all fine until the highway lane suddenly closed, no warning, at a bridge crossing. the opposite direction was going fine . we ended up stuck there for at least 30 min . I called and left them a message and said I would be late but was stuck on wrong side of the bridge. the tech who assisted my procedure got caught in a similar backup that morning. its a drawbridge and if there are problems, they shut it. usually there are alerts posted or they show on the traffic app, but not this time. Sigh. did not help my anxiety.

I'm only planning on therapy today and some walking while shopping since it wont be 24 hours until later today.

This morning I did Perfect Pump Lower Body, up only premix. My time was 39 minutes and 235 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 165.

Diane Sue, great job with CDorner Step Cardio and Perfect Pump Upper Body. I preordered STS 2.0 for similar reasons. It’s cheaper than waiting to pick and choose the workouts that I want. I’m sorry that your family has received sad news about your friends. It seems that we have had so much of that lately.

Cathy, you are smart to change your plans to get ahead of the bad weather. I hope that your drive is without problems.

Valerie, I’m glad that your injection went well. I hope it starts to help soon. I totally agree that it’s not cost efficient to continue repairing the HVAC systems at this point. They have served us well.

Waving hello to Judy.

I am getting things ready to leave in the morning. I doubt I will post for the next few days while I am gone. It will be a time of rest from workouts. My grandson cam over and picked up our dog. She was so excited about getting to go for a ride. She will be worn out when she gets home though. This morning I did Kelly's Cardio Fit workout 1 kickboxing alternating with lower body weight work and then went back and did the cardio kickboxing only with no weights a second time using the premix. This was 45 minutes, 260 calories, heart rate 138/160, 2,555 steps. I used 10# dumbbells and no egg weights or light dumbbells for the boxing. I did not want to end up with neck and shoulder pain when we are gone. I finished with Raw Athletic Stretch #2, 30 minutes, 51 calories. Total time was 75 minutes, 311 calories.

Valerie, the procedure does not sound too bad. I am just so afraid of my spine being messed with. Particularly after the needle biopsy that has left me with issues in one side of my neck as I think the doctor hit a nerve and I nearly jumped off the table. Then she was talking to the nurse as she looked at the screen and said see that did I hit something. I was awake and listening, then she gave me some more lidocaine which was awful. I will never go to that facility again. I get pain and stinging up that side of my neck off and on. Or it feels like something crawling around. Plus I had a spinal when I had my son and I had a massive headache and was sick for 6 weeks. It was nearly unbearable. Since I have the neck pain kind of under control I will wait. If it is unbearable, I will get someone to go in with me. My husband says I should explain to the doctor what my fear is. My right hip and side of my body is off and I have had off and on discomfort in that area since my children were all young. I don't think I helped things along well when I was loading a 80 lb barbell up onto my shoulders and over my head. Getting it off was awkward and I would let it down sideways. I remember hurting myself once and afterward I was more cautious. Back at the start they had me on boniva. They do bone scans for that side of my hip and low back to check to see how the stress fractures I have are mending.

Last edited:
Just getting us started for the week
Hi Judy, this is "Dee" from FB. I have missed you posting on FB and doing our challenges together. I actually just got started back to working out. Had the shingles in Sept-the beginning of Jan. Caught a real bad cold last month... so it's been slow going but I'm happy to be working out again.

Did you purchase Cathe's STS 2.0?

Reactions: WD
This morning I did Jessica Smith’s One Mile of Motivation for 15 minutes and 122 calories burned. My average heart rate was 139 and maximum heart rate was 162. I just wanted a little cardio to get me moving today. We started the day with stormy weather then a power outage. Thankfully I already had my coffee brewed! The outage only lasted about an hour and a half and I was still able to get a short workout done.

Diane Sue, great job with Cardio Fit and Raw Stretch. Enjoy your trip!

Hello to Valerie, Cathy, and Judy.

Drive up yesterday was perfect! Clear, dry and sunny. Today except for the beginning and end of that drive, it's a big snowy mess. And like other recent snow storms in Michigan radar shows it circling rather than just moving through. But, tomorrow temps are going to be as high as 40 with some sunshine, so they'll plow the highways and it'll have a day and a half to be gone before I head back.

I was really, really bummed because Thursday night here, they had the most spectacular northern lights show that people living here their whole lives said was the best they had ever seen. I was supposed to be up at 6 Friday, to get ready to leave, but I couldn't fall asleep and around 10:00, I started to see people posting about it, and then found someone live-streaming it on YouTube. Ended up being an 8 hour livestream. I've never seen anything more beautiful and amazing in my life. Finally made myself go to bed at midnight. I got up here yesterday and checked my aurora apps, and there was 0% chance here last night. Ugh. It's worth scrolling through this to see some of it. Right around the 3hour 43 minute mark starts a really gorgeous part.

I did a short walk along the bay yesterday after I got up here. This morning I did Boss Bands and Loops Upper Body premix, which also includes the standing legs portion not all of which includes combo moves with upper body. Then I did a 50 minute walk along the bay. After lunch I got Derek and we went and hiked up Sugarloaf. Which is an adventure this time of year. LOL Snowy and icy, and the upper parts with stairs had about half the stair cases with both ice and snow. And we were able to chat and catch up. Tomorrow we'll do his taxes, and I don't know if we'll go anywhere else. He has meetings in the afternoon which hinder prime time for doing things.

Diane Sue, Flopsy was firmly in adult cat age when she was caught and taken in to be spayed. They put her as somewhere around 4-5. Ended up being not hard to catch her as she does like her treats, but that only got her in front of the carrier. When I shoved her from the rear end into it, she ended up in but she was MAD! Thankfully, she was silent the entire time in the car. So sorry to hear about your friend.

Carolyn glad your power outage was a short one!

Valerie very glad to hear that your injection seems to be helping.

diane sue I have no clue what might be helpful. I would not have done this if I werent finding it hard to walk or stand much. my back ached and was getting into bursitis too. . this does not correct the underlying problem which is a spinal curvature because one leg is short. Cant fix that. no disks out of place. the cortisone reduces the irritation and inflammation. relief might last a long time... or not. will find out. the injection is low, in area called cauda equinae. right at top of butt crack.... to be graphic. its a little below the spinal cord itself. anxiety producing because you are lying face down and cant see anything. they tell you every step so you aren't completely in the dark. it didn't hurt much. more like dental procedures where you get that sharp very very brief pain and then nothing after. I may need a series of these injections. or maybe not for months. will see how this goes. have a follow up in about 2 weeks.

It looks like we will probably be leaving for Indiana next week. We don’t have an exact time frame but just that it will be soon. It’s a very sad time for the family there.

Wednesday I did 45 minutes of Yin Yoga and some light weight upper body work. Thursday and Friday I did 45 minute Peloton rides. Today I worked 8 hours and got a lot of steps in.

Carolyn – Great job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body, up only premix and Jessica Smith’s One Mile of Motivation. I’m glad your power outage didn’t last long.

Valerie-I hope your injections help a lot.

Diane Sue-Great job with Cardio Fit and Raw Athletic Stretch. I’m very sorry about your friend. I hope you have a good trip.

Cathy-Great job with Boss Bands and Loops Upper Body premix and the walk and hike. I’m glad you had a good drive up there.

cathy that video is lovely. thanks for posting. I went up to around 3-4.5 hours. I have seen aurora only once before and not clearly. we are far enough north but have a lot of routine cloud cover at night plus all the light pollution being in a populated area. we saw aurora when backpacking one night but I didnt have my contacts in since it was midnight. I felt pretty good to catch it at all as I just got up to pee. it was not as bright or colorful as this. I watched a few minutes of it. would love to see in person again.

Montana trip is off again for a few days because of bad weather and road conditions today and probably tomorrow. late season snow. cant catch a break here! thought for sure we'd be able to go tomorrow but no.

did 20 on the spin bike, therapy, core from x train and tricep work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.