Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/11

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Does anyone else hate the day when you have to turn the clocks ahead? Ugh....losing an hour of sleep, when you have a horrible night's sleep is just WRONG! Ok, enough of that rant.

Lori, good that you made it through that rotation...:).. I think 90 day rotations are tough to do if it is the same series. The only one that is ok is STS because each is different. Yes, sometimes husbands have to come to the conclusion in their own time.

Valerie, I never thought about how tough it could be working out at the levels we are used to at a different altitude. I agree....no Nordic Track! We gave ours away to a Cathlete that was posting here about wanting one. Little did we know that she lived here too! She came and picked it up. Neither one of us ever missed it. It was not a fun piece of equipment. You are living in Wild Kingdom! It sounds lovely.

Carolyn, I have done similar things with rotations, copy them to Word, and change them up a bit. I do like your idea of marking down what the focus is....I have to start doing that. I usually just look to see if it's total body, split body...eg upper-lower...etc,

Diane Sue, Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I was looking at maybe the alkaline ones too. Yes, vitamin K works against any blood thinners. I guess it must have a clotting affect. Since I have a syndrome that makes my blood clot more than normal, I am careful with how much vitamin K ( if any) that I take, Supposedly K2 is not supposed to have that side effect, but I am leery about that. Before buying a Nordic Track, find one somewhere to actually try out. It is so clunky and unnatural to do. At least that is what we both felt. Had it gather dust for years until I saw that post and found that she lived right by.

Hi to Judy!

Have a great day!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a rest day. I did some laundry and got meals ready for the week. Later today I will do Cathe's Live Spin. We are taking Shadow to the vet for an exam and her rabies shot this morning. We are so fortunate to have a vet that is open 7 days a week. It's nice to be able to make weekend appointments.

Deb-I hate turning the clocks ahead too. It's never good to lose an hour of sleep when you have trouble sleeping to begin with. I agree with you on the Nordic Track. I tried it at the gym once a long time ago and just couldn't get into it.

Valerie-It sounds like you are in such a beautiful place. I noticed the elevation when we were in Colorado Springs. We were only there for a few days so I didn't get a chance to acclimate. Just walking around felt like a workout.

Diane Sue-I'm planning on doing the compound premix from STS Total Body tomorrow.

Carolyn- I also copy Cathe's rotations. I put them in an Excel spreadsheet and use them to help me plan workouts. I'm not good at sticking with one rotation so I usually ending up mixing workouts, but I do like to have a plan for a week or two ahead.

Lori-Nice job with the rotation! The JS leg workout was a good one too. I should try the ab section this week.

Have a great day!

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday was Supercuts and then I decided not to do JS arms after this workout so did the complete SB Bounce dvd. Time was 76 mins / 512 cal. Not sure what I am going to do today. SBF came out with her Spring Rotation so going to start this tomorrow and do it for a couple of weeks with some WS3 and Bounce thrown in. Then going to try out my rotation.

Diane Sue...I looked at the Bonus workouts on the TB STS and the chinups are in the Compound Back. It is only 4 mins. You do 1 arm rows, chinups then repeat both. Short and sweet. I’ll mail the dvds out tomorrow. I believe I still have your address.

Deb...I hate turning the clock forward! But I quickly get over it when we have more sunlight in the evening. The first couple of dys are always hard adjusting. Yes I agree with the STS rotation. Plus it is only 3 workouts a week which gives you variety the rest of the week.

Judy...I would love if our Vet was open on Sundays. We are planning to bring GiGi to doggie day care once or twice a week. Our vet has daycare and boarding. Which is great to have everything together. Plus they are right in town about 2 miles from us. Thanks for mentioning the STS bonus workouts. I never knew they existed. The other one is 7 mins. Combining these 2 will make great finishers on another workout or when you are short on time but want to do a quick upper body!

Valerie...never thought about the change in altitude. It sounds so beautiful there!

Hi to Carolyn!

Have a great day all!

I decided to pull out Cathe's Pyramid workout DVD for this week. Am I crazy or what? I know there is a total Body premix on this one...that was never listed on the website, but is on the DVD. I could not find it today. I remember a thread about it somewhere....it is a great combo workout.

Am I losing it? LOL...Does anyone here remember this? I may go over to the Open forum and post this as well.

editied to add: Found it! :) https://cathe.com/forum/threads/pyramid-full-body-premix.273068/

Last edited:
We set our clocks forward in the evening before we go to bed. then sleep until we wake up. I don't think about it much. works better for us than tweaking the clock forward in the am. we always have a one hour change from PST to MST when we come here, and then back again, so I make the change and don't think about it. we have a one hour time change every trip here and again on the way back. I do it at least a dozen times a year. I used to travel for work a lot too, and always time changes. the more you do it, the less you think about it. that is until it is time to change the clock in the Forester. Argh!

We had (and wore out) at least four Nordic tracks. they take up a lot of room when in use with the skis going back and forth. Noisy. Hard to watch tv while using. DH liked them but I got tired of them. Much prefer a spin bike now.
The elevation here makes it hard the first few days. It helps for me to do light exercise right away even if I am wiped out. save more intense things until the third day.
Outdoor things take priority for me. home workouts fit in around rides and hikes. I decide on a workout depending on what parts are sore or overworked, and time available. you are all such planners! My plan is NOT to plan.

The elevation change is REAL apparent to any sea level dweller. you bend over .....and, whoops, you're out of breath! it's always a tough adjustment. the air is very dry. I'm used to much higher humidity. it does a number on your nose and skin. easy to get nosebleeds and get dehydrated. I use a lot of lip balm and cream. we have two very different places we live and enjoy both. the wildlife here is incredible. gardening here would be a bad joke. I bought a set of 26oz Contigo water bottles and drink a bottle before I get out of bed and another early in the morning. (Hydrate or die!)
when we drive here the elevation goes up gradually, and you sleep at elevation the first night. this helps you acclimate. easier on your body than flying somewhere from sea level, getting off the plane and suddenly it's 7000 feet. Headache time!
there is one benefit to getting older..... as you age, your brain shrinks a little, so there is slightly more space and you are less likely to get elevation headaches.

I had a DVT a long time ago and had to be on Coumadin for 3 months. Ugh. I ate so many vegetables( vitamin K generators) that they never got the Coumadin dosage up as high as they wanted it to be. I am consistent and eat that way all the time. if you are anticoagulated the most important thing is to get the dosage adjusted to your normal diet habits and be consistent. .

Today I did JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster from the 30 Day Plan. That was 223 calories burned with average heart rate of 134 and maximum heart rate 150. My Fitbit didn’t record the extended data with the heart rate graph today, but I checked my heart rate several times during the workout which is how I know my maximum. The total calories and average heart rate were recorded as usual. After that I did Element Yoga for Stress Relief for 25 minutes.

Deb, I hate the time change too. I’m not one who likes it to be bright daylight at 9:00 p.m. My husband on the other hand loves it. I remember the discussion about a total body option on the Pyramid dvd. It’s the bonus combo. I haven’t done it, but I looked at it for future reference.

Diane Sue, I can certainly understand you wanting a variety of trainers in your rotations. I don’t have nearly the variety in my dvd collection that you do. Many of my early dvds were beginner to intermediate level and they are boring for me now. I have almost all of Cathe’s dvds, but I like finding other trainers that I enjoy.

Lori, great job with Super Cuts. I wouldn’t want to add additional arm work to that one either.

Valerie, I had a Nordic Track ski machine and it was really hard. We finally got rid of it. That was my first large piece of fitness equipment.

Hello to Judy.

Good evening ladies,

Today I started SBF’s Spring rotation. Started off with Lower Body Barre and then Pretzel Target. I then did a few JS’ walks, 15 min Belly Blaster and Power Pick Up. Then a couple 10 min walks, 2 mile and Buns and Thighs. Used the rebounder for all of the JS and had ankle weights and hand weights. Was fun. Total time 74 mins / 543 cal.

Deb...I need to look at the Pyramid workouts. Another dvd I bought and never did!

Valerie...I had a Nordic track years ago and loved it. Yes it took up a ton of space. I was moving and ended up selling to my friend and she used it for a long time. That must really wreck havoc changing the clock so many times. My inlaws in Florida are on Central time so we need to change when we visit them. It is hard in November because we change the clocks for daylight savings then we visit them at thanksgiving changing again then change when we get home. Really messes with you.

Carloyn...I enjoyed JS’s workouts today. She is very refreshing.

Have a great night all!

I ended up doing a short spin and JS Stepping Strength this afternoon. Lori, I agree, she is refreshing. I enjoyed the workout.

Deb-I'll have to do the Pyramids combo soon. It sounds like a good one.

Today was my rest day. My left knee was hurting on the back of it for some reason this morning. I realized later that it kind of extends down through my calf. I did some stretching and it helped some. It was not helpful that I wore 3 inch heels to church this morning. The shoes came off as soon as I hit the door.

Deb, my Dad's blood was too thin when he fell and they could not get his blood right, as it was too thin and they could not do surgery for the brain bleed till they could get the blood levels right. My brother said he thinks my Dad often forgot whether he took the medicines or not and took them more than once. He also took glucosamine and and chondroitin and I think I read that can also be a blood thinner and should not be taken pre-surgery. I bought some of the Amazing grass effervescent tablets today. I did not see an amount of the vitamin K listed though. I will look on their website and see if they show it. I tried one and they are like using a Fizzy in water and have a bit of that fizz to them but are greens. I got a rebate on them from Ibotta for a dollar so decided to give some a try. Yes, I remember that Pyramid Total Body mix. It was on the bottom of the dvd and had the high step lower body segment twice. I turned the clocks back yesterday afternoon and we went to bed at 11 oclock today's time. I slept pretty sound all night for some reason. Probably because light was not peeking in so early. I used to buy a separate d3 and k2 combo from Melaleuca to help with the calcium absorption. My family kept wondering what I meant when I was saying I was taking k2 :)

Judy, it will be interesting in seeing how you like STS total body compound with the pull ups. I used to print and keep all of Cathe's rotations in a notebook. I had so much stuff and finally just cleared out most of it and threw it out. I kept the things I had used a lot and that was it. I kept some of the rotations I made and liked and have used some of them as guidelines with various instructors. That Pyramid rotation is a good one. I have a worksheet somewhere with the format listed on it.

Valerie, the Nordic Track sort of reminds me of those old Tony Little Gliders or whatever you call them. Arms and legs moving with it swinging. We had one and rarely used it. I don't even know what we did with it. I figured out setting the clock on our Range Rover yesterday when we were traveling out of town. There were quite a few menus to go through and since this is an older range rover I had to turn knobs, no touch screen. Now if we can just figure out the navigation system. I did see where to put in the destination city, while punching and turning buttons. I doubt that you would have much of a garden there without some way of protecting it. My daughter lost her fruit on their fruit trees to deer last year. They went out of town a few days and came back and it was gone. I think she had managed to get some pears and made pear butter before they left. They had a fence around the vegetable garden, and I am sure the dogs probably scared some critters off.

Carolyn, I like it when it when daylight is not so early and when it is light in the evening so that if I go somewhere I don't have to go in the dark. It was a bit of a problem though when I used to the grandchildren to their various schools and would have to drive right into the sun coming up. I hated it when I couldn't see the traffic lights because the sun was in my eyes. I have pretty much all of Cathe's workouts except the ab mix one. It is funny, but I did not enjoy Power Max like I did years ago. It kind of moved slow for me this last week. Maybe it was just my mood.

Lori, time changes can really mess with you when you travel. We used to go to California a lot to visit family and it is 2 hours earlier there so it took some adjusting along with the wear of the trip. Thanks for the information on the STS Total Body. I am going to make a note of that so I can try that one out. I kind of thought it would be in the back or shoulder area. Thanks so much for the dvds :D

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Pyramid Upper Body, 59 minutes 232 calories.

Judy, you are really lucky to have a vet that is open on Sunday. Especially in the case of an emergency. Of course all of our emergencies ( except when Kylee was attacked) have happened on Sunday, or after hours during the week. :(.

Lori, what a combination of workouts. Do you have those planned when you start, or do you just grab and add on as you go? that would be nice to be able to drop Gigi off right on your way to work. She will have fun. There is one here that has "nanny cams" or "doggy cams" I guess they would be, so that you can watch your dog anytime you want from wherever you are.

Valerie, we set our clocks forward early in the evening too, actually right after dinner. Yes! The 2015 Forester has the most impossible clock setting I have had in any car. The 2016 was improved greatly. Someone must have finally listened! This way there is no way we will forget. Once we forgot, and it we were almost late catching a plane! My brother called to see if we were ready to be picked up for the airport, and we had to scramble to make that plane. We thought we had another hour before he picked us up. Never again will we wait until morning to set the clocks. I am surprised that you did not have to stay on blood thinners after having a DVT.

Carolyn, good workouts. The FitBits can be touchy for sure. Mine did not record my sleep details for some reason a couple of nights last week. Strange.

Diane Sue, yep, those heels can do that to your calf for sure, especially if you don't wear them often. I have a vitamin D3, K2 and calcium combo too. Also supposed to include magnesium in there as well. I read that K2 is supposed to be safe and not promote clotting like regular K does. Also read that D3 and calcium do not absorb as well without K2. That is why I got the one with K2. Unfortunately, all those veggies have regular K.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Sorry to say this Deb, but the '18 forester has the most awful clock setting I've ever seen .....by a long shot. DH sat in a parking lot and struggled with it yesterday because we were now 2 hours off. he has reset several times now but he had to write out the directions. he tried several times because the little toggle thing is so hard to not bump wrong. he is better at this stuff than I am. I would go back to the dealer to get it reset. or ignore it completely, since we need to change it so often. I have no issues resetting every other clock including sports watches, so I'm not a total idiot but this set of screens and toggle on the Subie are impossible for me.

I agree, a sunday vet would be great. why is it things always happen on a weekend? we would be stuck with an expensive emergency center. several of those around but its not as comfortable as someone you've worked with.

Deb I was on Coumadin for a short time because the DVT was caused by a pack strap across my shoulder during a bike ride that compressed the vein where my pacer wires go. it fit tight, I was in a leaned forward position, and as I finished the ride I knew something was wrong. there was a absolute physical cause. I didn't wear tight straps ever again. I stayed on baby aspirin after that for a couple years. I am cautious about packs though and devised a pad to lift the strap away from the front of one shoulder, just to be sure.

Today I did Fit Tower Total Body again (I switched the Wednesday and Monday schedule) for 1 hour. I burned 255 calories, average heart rate was 111 and maximum heart rate 146. My Fitbit worked fine today.

Lori, I see that you are in for another round of rough weather. It seems that this winter doesn’t want to end.

Judy, great job with JS Stepping Strength. I previewed that one recently and it looks like a good workout.

Diane Sue, my knees bother me after wearing heels now that I don’t wear them every day. Sometimes I will do an older workout that makes me wonder why I bought it. That happens more with trainers other than Cathe. Recently I found a Denise Austin vhs tape in the back of a cabinet. I thought I had gotten rid of all of those.

Hello to Deb and Valerie.

Today I did Kelly Coffey Build and Burn Kickbox Kettlebell Fusions, 27 minutes, 173 calories, heart rate average 136, max 159, 1,619 steps, met value 5.8. I then did Ripped with Hiit Legs. 41 minutes, heart rate average 119, max 156, 249 calories, met 5.5, 1,673 steps Total time 68 minutes, 422 calories.
weights
squats 20# dbs 24 reps /squat digs 32 reps
plié squats 45# db/ plié jacks 24 reps
static lunge right side 25# dbs16 reps/ split jumps 24 reps
static lunge left side 25# dbs 16 reps/ split jumps 24 reps
squats 25# dbs 24 reps / pop squats 32 reps
plié squats 45# db / narrow plié touch down jacks 24 reps
wood chop side lunges 10# db 24 right 24 left
explosive side lunges 12# db 20 reps
cross back lunges 15# db 4 then 16 reps right then repeat left /lateral skates 32 reps
low pulse lunges 20# db 10 slow then 10 pulses repeat other side / power circle scissors 32 reps
deadlift 25# dumbbells 16 reps/snow angel jacks 20 reps
wide stance deadlift 25# dbs 16 reps /frog jumps with quarter turn 10 reps
walking lunges 15# dbs 6 passes of four reps/ scissor, scissor, tuck jump 5/5 reps

Deb, my Fitbit does not record my sleep stages sometimes. I do not take the full recommended doses of most of my vitamins and supplements. It depends sometimes on what I have eaten. If I have yogurt or something higher in calcium and my greens I do not think it necessary to add a lot of supplement. My plant based calcium, magnesium supplement says 3 a day an I just take one before bed. I know, I read that K2 is harder to get from food. I never researched why that is though. Our bodies should be able to get its needs from food.

Valerie, who would have thought the strap would cause pressure and do that. That would be upsetting.

Carolyn, I only remember owning one Denise Austin workout. It was a country line dancing workout. I used to do her stuff off television with my daughter and we would laugh at the woo woos that she did when doing the workouts. :) I got rid of a whole lot of VHS tapes as soon as dvds came out. I sold a bunch all at once for 75 dollars> I kept favorites for quite some time though and gradually weeded through them till I finally realized that I was not using any of them. The thought of rewinding and no chaptering and finding certain spots or pre-mixes did not sound inviting anymore. I got spoiled I guess.

Good morning,

Does anyone else hate the day when you have to turn the clocks ahead? Ugh....losing an hour of sleep, when you have a horrible night's sleep is just WRONG! Ok, enough of that rant.

Lori, good that you made it through that rotation...:).. I think 90 day rotations are tough to do if it is the same series. The only one that is ok is STS because each is different. Yes, sometimes husbands have to come to the conclusion in their own time.

Valerie, I never thought about how tough it could be working out at the levels we are used to at a different altitude. I agree....no Nordic Track! We gave ours away to a Cathlete that was posting here about wanting one. Little did we know that she lived here too! She came and picked it up. Neither one of us ever missed it. It was not a fun piece of equipment. You are living in Wild Kingdom! It sounds lovely.

Carolyn, I have done similar things with rotations, copy them to Word, and change them up a bit. I do like your idea of marking down what the focus is....I have to start doing that. I usually just look to see if it's total body, split body...eg upper-lower...etc,

Diane Sue, Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I was looking at maybe the alkaline ones too. Yes, vitamin K works against any blood thinners. I guess it must have a clotting affect. Since I have a syndrome that makes my blood clot more than normal, I am careful with how much vitamin K ( if any) that I take, Supposedly K2 is not supposed to have that side effect, but I am leery about that. Before buying a Nordic Track, find one somewhere to actually try out. It is so clunky and unnatural to do. At least that is what we both felt. Had it gather dust for years until I saw that post and found that she lived right by.

Hi to Judy!

Have a great day!
I always want my hour back!

Hello everyone!! I'm still hanging in there with the early workouts!
Sorry I haven't been posting much, trying to stay on time and on task.
I have been focused on the Fit Tower Advance and the Low Impact Series. I really like both workouts! I'm starting to make up my own combos and as soon as it warms up I am going to add a couple of run days in the morning per week.

I'm working on my diet next, I consume too many calories, even though I eat healthy for the most part. I will turn 56 in July, my metabolism is finally slowing down on me enough to make me have to count calories if I want to lose weight. I got my measurements and my body fat taken and my numbers are good but they could use improving.

I hope everyone is doing well!! I am going to do better about reading here.

I want my hour back!! I need it! LOL
Janet

yes, getting older really kills off the calorie burn or the flexibility of a few extra calories not causing damage. even if you are active. not so hard to understand how so many people bulk up as they age. they are just eating what they always could and then the 'rules change". .

diane sue, I had no idea I was at risk. Knowing what I know now, the narrow pack strap fit right into the crease between arm and shoulder. pacer wires run inside a vein right there, and leaning forward, it was compressed. nothing hurt , but my arm felt funny when I finished the ride. kind of fuzzy and slightly numb. luckily the clot was not big, went away quickly. but I am really careful not to repeat that. if a clot had formed randomly for no reason, it would be more problematic.

we did a xc ski this morning 3-4 hours. not real hard but it was incredibly hot on the snow. we took off all we could although the air temp was not that high. sun and snow is brutal! DH's boots fell apart half way thru so we will have to snowshoe or hike instead. it was absolutely lovely out. saw a million bison, some very close too close for comfort, elk, bighorns, and a pair of coyotes.

I bought a bunch of high step workouts from cathe but I never liked them. they made my knees hurt. I still have them as the high step. I never used it like I expected. luckily the risers are same as a regular step, so I have used them enough. like many of you and Nordic tracks. you don't always "get along well" with what you think will work for you.

Janet, that is great that you are keeping up with your plan and ready to add on soon. I have noticed that slower metabolism as well. I used to be able to drop the little excess easily. Now it takes more work.

Valerie, it is good that you know what to do now so that does not happen to you again. Yes, the rules change as we get older. I do realize I do spend more time sitting than I used to. I used to be on the move non-stop for the most part. Less yard work, a smaller house, and no small children to cart to school and take care of makes me a lot less active. I sometimes use my high step for workouts like premixes that would be using a full size step for full body, but when doing just lower I really only need to use the high step for things like the reverse lunges off the step or the lunges with the back foot on the step and the other in front. It takes less room and less stuff to drag out.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did STS Total Body Timesaver - Compound Only Exercises Premix. I also added the bonus burns for shoulders and back. I liked using the Fit Tower for pull ups. I'm planning on doing an STS/Body Beast rotation in April so I will be doing those again.

Deb-we are so happy with our vet that we don't mind the drive. It's 45 minutes one way but well worth it.

Carolyn-I think you will like Stepping Strength. I really need to do the Fit Tower workouts soon. I think I will put them on my schedule for next week.

Lori-I'm sorry about the weather :( I hope it doesn't get too bad.

Janet-Great job with the Fit Tower and Low Impact Series. I am working on my diet too. I'm 55 also and am finding that my metabolism isn't what it used to be. I have to watch things a lot closer now.

Valerie-Great job with the XC Skiing! I like the high step workouts but I don't use them often.

Diane Sue-I also used to be on the move a lot more. Even though I feel like I still do a lot, I also know I spend more time sitting and am not constantly busy and doing things like I did when I was younger.

Have a great night!

Judy

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Crush It Low Impact, 33 minutes, 183 calories.

Valerie, I know right? I spent every time I was at a light, or parked yesterday trying to change the clock in my car. Arrrrghhh....so frustrating. I finally found the way that worked, but instantly forgot it when it was done. After trying so many ways, there is no way you can remember which one worked. I see why you were temporarily on Cumiden...that is the first time I have heard of a clot caused by an outside issue. It's so great that you are seeing all that variety of wildlife on your hikes etc.

Carolyn, you are really getting into those FT workouts! Good job. :).

Diane Sue, yes, DVD's really were an improvement in workouts. Especially the premix options. I remember paying $50 each for the original Firm Beta tapes. I understand when the FitBit does not record sleep stages when you take a nap. The info says you have to have been asleep for 3 hours for it to record stages. But sometimes, it doesn't record at all. John has had 2 nights this week with no recording. They said that it might be the placement of the watch, or if you slept on it in a certain way. I have definitely done more sitting since I retired. Even though I had a desk job, I was always walking around the building.

Judy, I need to pull out STS Total Body now. :). I didn;t know there was an STS/Body Beast rotation...is that from 2lazy4thegym? I agree, on not minding the ride to the vet. My vet has changed places twice now and I have followed him regardless of the drive. We went to the vet on Friday for their annual check ups etc, and I got a call yesterday from the vet. We do Titers for distemper and parvo, and Kylee's were on the low side for distemper, so I have to bring her in for a shot today. She has not had to have one for the last 5 years, as there was enough anti-bodies in her system when tested each year. Keegan has not had one for 9 years.

Janet, great job sticking with those early workouts, I know that is tough to do.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Good morning all!

Yesterday was a rest day and I have not worked out yet today. Our office is closed. We are getting slammed with snow. This is the 3rd nasty storm in 2 weeks! Fingers crossed we do not lose power.

I will read posts and check in later today.

Wish us luck!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.