Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 12/2

Good Morning,
I am feeling better but not back to normal. Headache is mild today and no dizziness. I kept my workout on the light side. I did JS Ready, Steady, Go for 31 minutes and 226 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 148. I followed that with Element Beginner Yoga Stress Relief practice for 25 minutes and 39 calories burned.

Deb, it’s good that your class was canceled yesterday so you didn’t feel bad about missing it. I don’t know if frozen brussel sprouts will roast. I think they would steam instead of roast because of the moisture content. However, the flavors would be there. I make the recipe as written. The onions roast too and are not crunchy.

Lori, great job keeping up with your workouts. Juicing definitely can be expensive. I found that I love beet juice, something I hadn’t tried before juicing. I just prefer the Vitamix. My juicer is boxed up and stored away because I stopped using it.

Judy, a cycling class sounds like a nice change. Can you subscribe to Peloton streaming without their bikes?

Diane Sue, my headache symptoms were similar to yours. I hope your grandson is better today.

Hello to Valerie.

Valerie-This is the Peloton Bike:

https://www.onepeloton.com/shop/bike
I think the streaming for 1 year is included in the price, after that it's $40 a month.
Chris loves pasta with tomato sauce and lots of spices. I'm sure that's one of his biggest trigger foods.

Carolyn-Yes, you can subscribe to the streaming for about $20 a month without the bike.

This morning I did Les Mills on Demand workouts. Body Combat MMA blast #2, 57 minutes, met 6.6, 415 calories, heart rate average 141, max 178, 4,742 steps. I then did CXWORX # 16 short, met 3.0, 63 calories, heart rate average 96 max 128, 236 steps. This used a large weight plate (10# is my large from my les mills package) and tubing. It included a lot of back work. I finished off with Body Flow short #73, 24 minutes, 53 calories, 110 steps, heart rate average 90, max 137, 110 steps. Total time 1 hour 40 minutes, 531 calories, 5088 steps. I think this was one of the toughest Body Combat workouts I have done. I think they pulled the harder segments from different workouts(I could see the numbers on the corner pop up) so some of the things like when you are doing the jumping knee pulls it is not just 16 like in the dvds per side it is many more and some plyo jumps are added in near the last. It got my heart rate up pretty well.

Lori, you are getting in some great variety in workouts. Those Les Mills workouts are hard to find on dvd and on Amazon the other sellers is the only place you can find them and they are expensive to get. I think Pump is okay, I am just not a fan of very high non-stop reps. It sets off shoulder and neck pain for me on some of the moves. There is one of the workouts where they are working triceps, but it is like a gazillion 1 1/2 counts and goes into presses with pulses with the barbell, by the time I am done, my whole upper body is screaming. I can manage once in awhile, but if I do it as a rotation I pay for it. It seems every workout has clean and press in them. I want to do the really raw workout again this next week. Now that I know all of the equipment I will be wanting to use it should move along better. I tried beet greens in a green smoothie once. It was only okay to me as I used some fresh raspberries and my usual piece of ginger with lemon juice in it. I seemed to always prefer spinach and kale. Celery went into most as well. Wow on the cost of Organic celery. I really don't think I pay that much for it at Sprouts here. That is a lot of celery that you are using. I love heat in my foods too.

Valerie, I do the same thing when I cook something for my husband and myself so I can enhance mine and alleviate too much salt. I don't need that much salt. Just pepper, pepper corns, tobasco, red pepper, cayenne pepper :) Lots of it. I think if I were to use frozen brussels sprouts for roasting I would do the same thing I used to do for a broccoli salad when I did not have fresh. I would thaw it in the refrigerator and then soak the liquid off of it with paper towels before roasting. Yes, they are blanched and will be partially cooked to start with.

Last edited:
Carolyn, I hope that you continue to feel better. Nice that you were able to get in a workout this morning. That pain was terrible. I am glad it went away. I should call and check on my grandson today. My daughter had to work yesterday on finding a substitute teacher so she could stay home with him today. I had given him tylenol and his temp only went down 1 degree. I told my daughter maybe she should try the Motrin for bedtime. We are always cautious of ibuprofen ever since my one granddaughter had a dose of it when she was 12 and ended up in the hospital with kidney failure. She never takes it since that. She is in college now. It was frightening.

Judy, I keep seeing the Peloton advertisements on television. I looked at an app once, but figured it would not work for me. Bowflex does the same thing now with equipment set up to work with an app and programs for workouts. There stuff is way too much money to me. I will never buy a piece of equipment that is so hard to find someone who can repair it. The Tread climber is fine now, but, the guy we got had a hard time fixing it and getting the parts.

Deb I think the consensus is frozen sprouts are not likely to work like fresh. when you try something new, give it the best chance of turning out well. roasted sprouts get browned and a little crispy, and I doubt frozen ones would.

Judy thanks for the link. that's a nice bike but expensive . I wonder how much better than less expensive ones? ours was in the $ 1200 range, looks very similar. la mond. that was the brand available here. I couldn't use clipless pedals. I really failed that technique. I can't use them on any kind of bike including the spin. we use regular pedals with very loose toe baskets. DH started using clipless but went back to riding in tennies also. I hope you can work out something for chris so he doesn't have to give up something he loves.

ETA diane sue that's the main reason we bought a brand available locally. if it needs fixing or parts, it would
probably be possible by driving it back to the store. just picture boxing up a spin bike and sending it somewhere for repairs! most exercise equipment you'd have to toss and buy new.

we did a walk this morning, more up and down for about an hour. another beautiful day but not a lot of bird life to look at. this was in a park along saltwater.

Last edited:
Good morning,

No exercises yesterday. I felt like I must have taken Ike out 50 or 60 times, with the snow, and having to clean him off each and every time.

Judy, that riding class sounds great but very expensive! Nice that you are able to get a free one to try it out.

Lori, at that price, I'm with you and would stick to the VitaMax, not use the juicer. I think the fiber is an important part of it, why would it be tossed?

Valerie, thinking about what you and Carolyn said, I would try out the recipe with fresh Brussels sprouts....I would hate to go through all that and end up with something that did not roast right, due to the fact it was frozen. Celery never tasted salty to me....mmmm....

Carolyn, glad you are feeling better. I get the same headaches, ( not often lately) and sometimes wonder if they are actually migraines. I am not sure how you tell the difference. I always refer to them as sinus headaches.

Diane Sue, glad your grandson is a little better. Is it the flu? That is scary about your granddaughter and Ibuprofen.

The guys are coming this morning from the Kitchen remodel place to raise our pantry so that we can get a taller refrigerator. I was amazed at the amount of stuff that was in the pantry and above! Yikes! Time to clean it out for sure.

Take care,

Deb ..great you can get cabinets fixed and smart you didn’t wait until fridge failed and put you in a mad scramble to pull things together.
Since you’re not a huge vegetable fan, have those extra ingredients available in case you need them to enjoy the dish. It’s really colorful with the cranberries tossed in and the honey and lemon juice might make it better for you. Look pretty makes it taste better. to me, the pear and b.sprouts are terrific together.

That’s almost all I taste with celery ....salt. I don't use convenience food so I never got used to too much salt. DH oversalts things. I can’t eat them. It’s a bad habit he has. He adds salt to already salty corn chips and popcorn. Some sweet foods like (cake mix) angel food cake, soft serve ice cream taste salty to me too. maybe just a taste quirk.
I'm making some black bean soup this morning. that way I control the salt content and ingredients. sometimes I cook the beans but more often I use canned. that's where most of my celery and carrots go, into soup.

that's a lot of trips outside with Ike. keep watch for that UTI. or does he like to play in the snow?

Last edited:
This morning I did Pyramid Upper Body, Up Only premix. That was 45 minutes and 219 calories burned. My average heart rate was 116 and maximum heart rate was 168. I had my investment club meeting today so I was out of the house early. We had a productive meeting and decided to add to our holdings for one of the stocks in our portfolio. We had our holiday brunch after the official meeting was adjourned which is always a lot of fun.

Deb, I suffered with migraines from childhood into my early forties. When I was a junior in high school I developed a migraine every day during my 2:00 class with a really mean teacher. I transferred to another class and the 2:00 headaches stopped. Before then my family knew that I would stumble into the house and go straight to a dark quiet room to sleep for a few hours. The difference for me between that headache and the sinus headache is that I could get some relief from the migraine with sleep. That doesn’t happen with my bad sinus headache.

Valerie, I have never associated celery with saltiness either. I think it must be an individual taste. Black bean soup sounds delicious. I like to make soup when it’s cold, wet, and dreary as it is today. Just going through the motions is comforting to me.

Hello to Diane Sue, Lori, and Judy.

I realized we had not started a December Check in. This morning I did Les Mills on Demand body pump #105, 60 minutes, met 4.2. 278 calories, 1,174 steps, 106 average heart rate, 142 max. I followed this with Coffey Fit Raw Stretch first 15 minutes, met 2.0, 33 calories. Total time was , 75 minutes, 311 calories.
I was going to put the rundown of the tracks, but I can only see the list on the television on details. They are not there when I pull it up on the computer. There is no time to write through the workout. I mainly used 30# barbell and 25# barbell along with 15# dumbbell, 10# weight plate, and some 5# dumbbells for mac raise.

Valerie, the biggest problem was that my Bowflex Tread Climber cost over 3,000 dollars because we purchased the original warranty. It was past the warranty by a bit, and they don't make the same exact model now. The repair guy we found repairs and rebuilds for some exercises stores here. He got the walking boards ans custom cut them and replaced the treadles that turn. Anyway he offered to try to get the actual correct pieces which would have cost more, but it works fine without them. We can just see part of the walking board and the area he trimmed to go around screws. It cost us 500.00, but I think it is worth it since it has been working now over a year and my husband uses it all of the time. Contacting Bowflex did me not good at all. You were wise getting your equipment that is local. I am going to roast some butternut squash today. I could cook it in the instant pot, but I really like roasted best. Funny, I taste salt in collagen powder and bone broth protein products even if they have stevia in them. I love celery and I think the celery taste is one of the reasons I always loved V8 juice. There is a Maui Black Bean soup in one of my best of clean eating books that is really good. I have made it quite a lot.

Deb, no, I think he just had some other virus again. No other real symptoms other than a fever and lethargy. I remember the snow and training Gertie. It is quite a job. We had sleet in our forecast, but it seemed to have changed. Just freezing temps, at least here in the city. Other areas have got some bad weather.

Carolyn, your migraines sound like me when I was in high school. I would find myself walking the campus feeling like I was in some sort of pain related daze. Our school was spread out of several blocks. Stress can really make them kick in. I do not get them very often anymore. I still have Imitrex sitting in the cupboard that is quite a few years old now. I should probably just get rid of it somehow.

I did cardio supersets this morning. I had 45 min before lunch so it fit in perfectly. I'm doing 10 toe push ups again instead of traveling ones, working my way back up.

we had a machine called a versa climber. they still sell them thru magazine ads. it was a nice system but we wore it out after a few years and decided not to fix it. it was very tall. did not fit in our exercise room. we have Precor equipment. there is local service/ stores. we got the le mond spin bike there too. we had a precor treadmill fail. they replaced it after having service people unable to find what was wrong. we could have gotten a cheaper one but when something goes wrong, local service is expensive but important if you don't want to toss it.

DH gets migraines too but didn't develop them until he was adult. his are bad, then taper and last for several days. being over tired, stress, too much/not enough caffeine are triggers for him. coffee has to be calibrated carefully. he takes a vitamin supplement his neurologist suggested. think it's vitamin B2. also something called "Migrelief". I'll get the exact name if anyone would like to know.

it is cold and damp here, and definitely soup season. I hadn't made black bean soup in ages, and suddenly it sounded good. made it twice in 2 weeks. I like lentil soup a lot too. I agree.... V8 juice tastes like celery. I don't like it. I'm fine with celery in soup where it isn't the dominant flavor. diane sue, too funny... I just brought in 2 butternut squash from the garage to roast tonight. that bean soup is easy to find online. I will try it next.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.