Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 12/2

diane sue, the physicians assistants these days often are pretty light on background. most are not nurses or even close. most offices can't afford nurses, and putting ptatients in rooms and taking BP and weight and med list is not very challenging. some are smart and have training or learned on the job, but no guarantees. the knowledge range is wide. I think everyone uses some form of electronic medical records, and the different versions are not always compatible. Epic is the most used I think. it seems most can enter data but changing data already in is challenging. once something gets entered, getting it removed is a process.
Carolyn, so glad you are enjoying that one. I love most vegetables and eat a lot of them. I stick to recipes that don't mess too much with mother nature. WW sure reinforces that. I wish I were losing some weight, but so far holding steady at entry weight.

ETA did the other half of "Ramped up upper body'. it was less than half left, and then ab workout. two moves in that one I have been unable to get down. I do not want to lean body weight on one arm yet, and can't figure out how to modify. I skip and do the rest.

Last edited:
Good morning,

No exercises yesterday. I did make 10,000+ steps yesterday :) not sure how...LOL

Valerie, one of the things they always ask, and I guess I would have to agree with this one, is any medications ( which they should know from their records, but not if another DR prescribed), and supplements that you are taking. Like Diane Sue, I change supplements around a lot, so every time I go in there they either have to add or delete something. I think the nurse thinks I am strange. Funny you mentioned about getting something changed in your medical record. I pointed out an error that was in mine, asked for it to be changed and she said just that....it is too much of a hassle to change, we just know that it is wrong when we look at it! I don't ever want to upgrade my phone. :). Anything that lasts 40 years has certainly gave you your money's worth! That Brussels sprouts recipe sounds good.

Diane Sue, the spin workout reminds me of the iTrain workouts. 5 hours is average for me....:(. The night before last I got 4 hours and 6 minutes. Yes, the marketing people for grocery stores are pretty devious in that way. Very scientific on what goes on the end caps and even to the point of what is kept at "eye level" on the shelves.

Carolyn, I agree, getting more greens is important, but I find it very difficult. I live with someone that goes for weeks, without eating a vegetable. He does not like salads, or most vegetable. Will only eat them when pressured by me or out of guilt.

Hi to Judy & Lori

Take care,

My medication list ends up being closer to “any med I have ever taken”, not what I take every day. I take fiber supplements and glucosamine.
The new WW stresses vegetables and fruits. all “free” foods so you can have as much as you want. the points come from fats and carbs, especially junk carbs. a couple of exceptions, avocados and potatoes are “point” foods that get counted. Makes the program much easier for me.
I get fixated on a vegetable and want it every day. Brussels sprouts /pears are current. If there are leftovers, I snack on it the next day. B. sprouts/ beets or winter squash roasted together are good. golden beets are good, finishing up the last few from our garden. Vegies are what "run" what we eat. I start with whatever vegie I have, decide what to do with it, and dinner goes from there. when we have fish/chicken, its surrounded with vegies, or vegies and fruit. another nice thing about the new WW is tofu, beans, lentils are mostly free foods now. points are counted from the fat/carbs with them. it's hard to eat in restaurants, especially fast food. better than it used to be, but still not easy. they seldom have anything I'll eat.
"no vegies" would have been a deal breaker for me. I would not have married someone who ate so differently, unless he was doing his own cooking and shopping. It is very freeing to turn away from the meat industry. but people work out all kinds of disagreements. DH currently complains about not enough carbs but that's an easy add on.

Yes, it's marketing science how stores fill their shelves and end caps. eye level gets priority, as to the aisle end displays. I am often down on the floor or the top shelf. whatever you walk by as you enter the store is a special priority.

Yes we feel just fine about our 40 yo skis! money well spent. we can still use them but getting a new pair so when the old ones come apart, we don't spend weeks getting replacements. xc skiing is not that popular in the US. lift served back country skiing is popular but we aren't good enough skiers for that.

Last edited:
I have to run errands today. We are expecting ice and then snow coming in particularly Friday and Saturday. This morning I did Les Mills Body Step #111(messed up and did a bit of Express 112 which I realized I had done before and had to go back and find my workout which altered the 54 minute workout and made it longer) Workout was 71 minutes, met 6.0 470 calories, heart rate average 138 max 166, 5,587 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw 6/60 abs and push ups workout, 12 minutes, met 3.0, 40 calories,31 steps. Total time was 83 minutes, 510 calories, 5,617 steps

Valerie, I understand that with the doctor's assistant. I wouldn't call them a physicians assistant though because they have a medical degree and do surgeries and what doctors do. I think when my daughter was in school and training she worked with our doctor at the time as part of her training and was called a medical assistant?? My husband had asked me if I wanted to come work at a mental health facility and they would train me to do blood pressure and the like and record it and I could have my own office. I declined though.
I am not sure what company I am using. I just know it is a patient portal. My medical doctor is supposed have one, but so far I have not been able to get on it, it just says coming soon. I think they are moving as there is a for sale sign in front of their office. New medical facilities going up all over the place.

Deb, some of the workouts are seeming kind of redundant as I look at the format on Les Mills. When I look at the Body Pump workouts, they pretty much have a rundown of what is on the Les Mills Pump dvds. Some different instructors and arrangements. I was confused this morning when it went to the other workout and it took me 14 minutes into it to finally realize I had already done it. Then when I started into the right one, it had some segments of the same moves I had just done on the express one with that instructor and I think they piece them together. Anyway, that is the way it is feeling.
I used to get an average of 5 hours. I just keep working at it. I try to shut the computer down by 7 and just do some reading. No bills and things that may cause anxiety when I try to go to sleep. I think some of my supplements may be helping. Last night was 7 hr 15 minutes and near 2 hours rep and deep sleep. I had so many dreams though. Bordering on nightmares which usually stick in my mind the next day. I run out of some supplements and try to go without for awhile. It costs a lot to keep up with all of them. Collagen is always a have to have and vitamin C which helps collagen uptake. If I eat dairy and am sure I have had quite a good helping of calcium, I cut the dose. I have been sticking with the Ashwagandha as well.

Today’s workout was Muscle Max. I did a timesaver premix that was 66 minutes and 209 calories burned. My average heart rate was 102 and maximum heart rate was 144. I think my average heart rate was lower because I did the 9 minutes of abs on the floor. The timesaver was not much shorter, but it was a good workout. My internet has been out all afternoon which makes me realize how often I reach for it to look up information. I was setting up my computer, but that needed internet access too.

Valerie, there was a discussion in WW today about a woman who hasn’t been losing and has been in the same weight range for months. She set a goal to track for all of November and she lost 7 pounds. She realized that she was eating healthy foods, but was not tracking since they were free, but her portions were off. People who eat large servings of beans and other starchy “free” vegetables like corn and peas seem to have trouble losing. Bananas and grapes are also problematic for those people who eat a lot of them. I try to keep my beans at 1/2 cup servings and once or twice a week. It’s often emphasized that free doesn’t mean eating as much as you want since the foods have calories, but it helps people make better choices. Non starchy vegetables are the only foods that I feel that I can eat as much as I want.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Carolyn, the timing does not sound good for the internet to be out. I find that things like celery, carrots, greens etc. do not make much difference, but like you said those starchy vegetables and bananas and grapes can make a difference. I am not a fan of bananas so that is not a problem, but I use grapes when I am really hungry and have to cook so that I don't grab something worse to eat. I find when I run out of nut butter and those nutrition bars my macros are a lot better and I drop weight, so I know where some of my problem is.

Peas! corn and potatoes & peas and avocados. I remember bananas used to be limited, so I average 3-4 per week and not the biggest bananas either. grapes rarely, I don't like them much. oranges and apples and raspberries are my regulars.
I did not phrase that right at all .... about "having as much as you want".
I usually mix point heavier foods with lighter ones, so if I have corn, I mix it with sliced onions, and sliced red bell peppers, 1/3 of a cup of corn is plenty. That is one of my favorite combos. saute those 3 things together. so good! Deb, that’s a vegie combo your DH would eat. it is so easy and so good.
Carolyn, I keep portions controlled. Measure and weigh a lot. I am hungry but that is how it is. I won't lose if I'm not hungry. I am not far from goal weight, so it takes sweat and tears to get these few lbs to budge. I have to be hungry in middle of the night or I'm not losing. In fact if I’m not hungry I’m gaining.
I eat more beans, lentils, tofu, whole grains than you probably do. No red meat. fish /chicken a few times a week. the recipes I recently entered into WW turn out much better point wise than under the old program.

no workout today. we had shopping to do, and also got the battery on my iPhone replaced. took several hours, and then traffic was bad. apple stores are really obnoxious places. I wish I liked the process better.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I am off to an agility class ( private lesson) so will not be able to post until later. It is pretty snowy here....I am on the fence about not going to the lesson....

Good morning,

Just got a FB message that my class has been cancelled due to weather. I was just about to message the trainer and let her know I would not be coming to class.

Valerie, the nurse that takes my "history" wants to know what I am taking Now, and updates with that, which means she asks every single thing in there and whether I am currently taking it. I would like to try your Brussels sprouts/pear recipe. I know I would be the only one eating it. Corn and red bell peppers sound good, I would leave out the onions, not one of my favorite veggies. I don't mind the flavor, but don't want to bite or chew on...if that makes sense.

Diane Sue, it sounds like the Les Mills has full workouts, then shorter versions of the same? Kind of like Cathe's Time Saver premixes? I only know that I saw a Beachbody commercial for the Les Mills Body Pump workouts, got a DVD from Ebay, and found it pretty boring. Not anything like what they showed on the infomercial. I re-sold it on Ebay. For some reason, I am waking up at 4:00 am, regardless of when I fall asleep.

Carolyn, 66 minutes does not seem like a true "time saver"....but if it counts writing down stuff, changing equipment, I guess it would be.

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

No workout today, I woke up with a terrible sinus headache with nausea and dizziness. I can barely walk around and have been lying down much of the day.

Deb, https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/roasted-pear-and-cranberry-brussels-sprouts/

this is the recipe I work from. I don't follow anything closely. I cut it in half, skip the honey, cranberries and lemon juice. (I love vegetables and usually like them best unadorned) If I had guests for dinner I would do the whole thing, all ingredients. I cut sprouts in half and roast flat side down. I may or may not use onions. I like bosc pears the best, but any pear will do. it doesn't have to be ripe. I do not roast at 450. I do 400 or 425 , and use parchment paper not foil. my oven is too hot at 450 and burns things quickly at that temp. I made this last night and had something else roasting at 400, so that's how I did the sprouts and pears too.
also with WW... I would have to give more points to the recipe if I used cranberries and honey.

I like onions a lot as long as they are cooked. I don't like raw onions. red bell peppers are one of my favorite vegies. love them.

Carolyn, sorry you are not feeling well. hope a rest day helps you recover quickly.

we did a walk at a park this morning. about 2 hours all together. not strenuous, but up hill and down, and along a rocky beach. it was a beautiful morning but cold. cold for us is mid 20's here in the lowlands. so quiet we could watch ducks diving down, swimming underwater, and as the rose to the surface. splish splash. so peaceful.

ETA if I did b. sprouts / pears at 450 degrees, I'd have little charcoal briquets..... if you don't know how you like them cooked,a lower temp gives a lot more wiggle room. poke with a fork and/or check out brownness. sprouts take longer the bigger they are. I usually do around 30 min at the lesser temp. I don't like too soft.

Last edited:
Today I did Kelly Coffey's Sculpting RX workouts 1 and 2 combined, 60 minutes, met 4.7, 310 calories, 1,464 steps, heart rate 112 average, 154 max. I then did Les Mills Body Flow flexibility (there are strength ones too) yoga skipping the meditation so it was 27 minute, 70 steps, 60 calories, met 2.0. Total time was 87 minutes, 370 calories. I have my 4 year old grandson here today. He is running a fever and I ran to the store before he got here to pick up some Tylenol and Advil liquid. Not easy getting that stuff down sick children!

Deb, Yes, Les Mills has full versions and some long combined versions of different workouts put together like the Combat with the yoga segment. They have a segment called short workouts that are short versions. Even real short ones like when I did lower only Pump. So, yes, I guess like premixes. They have Express ones that are around 30 minutes for most. When I got the Les Mills Pump series, I loved the music tracks which do change for each workout and order of the exercises, and a few different one, but I thought they were pretty repetitive. Each segment is generally around 5 minutes and non stop working one body part. Not my favorite way to work out, but I think it is good for me because it is something I do not do often. I liked the extras a lot from the deluxe set which was flow, a floor cardio, a step workout, and a combat workout. They mix a little Qi Gong and Muay Tai into some of the stretches. Same with the on demand workouts. I love the Combat workouts though. They blend some strength into the Body Step workouts with light weight. More jumping and burpees in these than I really like. But, they do have modifiers. There were 1 arm burpees in the step workout yesterday along with push ups.
I hope that agility class went well today. I woke up at 3:30 this morning and it seemed like forever before I fell back asleep. I still got in 7 hrs. I try to go to bed early enough to have plenty of time to get in enough sleep with the wake cycles. If I stay up late I won't get enough sleep. If I crawl out of bed, I am awake for the day, or at least till afternoon when I sometimes want to crash.

Valerie, I love roasted veggies too and your combinations sound really good. I rarely eat corn though. I buy organic frozen for my husband. He would not eat onions or peppers in it. I eat lots of garlic and onions mixed into my veggies. Last night I had herb crusted salmon with zucchini noodles stir fried with garlic, olive oil and salt. The crusted mixture was lemon juice, parsley, basil leaves, pureed and some almond flour mixed in. I pressed it onto the salmon and then baked it. It was really good with the zucchini.
Carolyn, I had the weirdest headache and neck pain for awhile yesterday. I felt it coming on before I went to the store and took two Excedrin. By the time I was headed home I had tears coming out of my eyes and the pain was so bad I thought I was going to throw up. After I got home and carried things in it started subsiding, but I felt spent and still dizziness and nausea. That usually does not happen like that. Generally once pain starts it is gradually worse and stays much longer. Just not the same. I am glad it did not stay.

Good evening ladies,

Great workout week. Chelsie has been here tues, wed, today and will be here tomorrow. We have been sticking with the san fran bounces with hand weights and I have been doing a 20 to 30 mins strength before she comes. Today was FS Pull...a premix I made with only 2 reps instead of 3. Yesterday was lower fire loop compliation I made up and Tuesday was a Total Body Barre by Linda Woolridge. I also did 30 mins of bounce at lunch all week.

Diane Sue... omg the pain you had sounds horrible. Very sad to read you went thru that. Hoping you are better. I am planning to do the Real Raw this weekend. Good to know you liked it. I have the Les Mills combat and pump workouts. Sad to say I have never done them. My friend gave them to me a while ago. I have previewed them and they do look great. At this point, chances of me doing them are very slim.

Deb...glad your computer was an easy fix. I will not make all the premixes. Only the ones that I know I will do. Usually 2 or 3 per dvd. It goes pretty quick and I enjoy making them. Yeah 10,000 steps! Awesome!!

Carolyn...we are trying with the greens!! We have been really consistant with the celery juice now for well over a month. I was given a cold press juicer recently from work. It was a sample laying around forever. Right now it is costing a small fortune blending our organic celery juice for the week, if we juiced it it would easily double in price. Needless to say the juicer is still in the box. I may take it out this weekend and try out. Hope you are feeling better this evening.

Valerie...your walk this morning sounds so nice! I love everything Apple...but their stores. Hate going to one. Been ages since I went xc skiing. May have been before my son was born. I always enjoyed it.

Judy...great Chris is starting up again. My husband has slacked off a bit. He still is doing well with maintaining his weight loss so I am not to hard on him. He wants to start working out again. Perhaps after the holidays he will pick it up.

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

We had some snow yesterday, which made my class get cancelled. I was happy. I was just going to contact the trainer and tell her I would not be coming because of the weather. She sent a message a minute before I was going to call.

Carolyn, I hope you feel better today.

Valerie, thanks for the link. I printed the recipe, as is, but would make your changes eg, cut the sprouts in half, not use onions. I have some frozen sprouts, I wonder what I would have to change to use those?

Diane Sue, your poor grandson..:( I hope he feels better today. When I babysat my friend's 4 year old grandson and he was sick, you could really tell. He stayed on the couch with a blanket for hours. Not like him at all.

Lori, good going with Chelsie! How much celery do you need for a week's worth of blended (?) juice that you are doing now?

Judy, how is Chris doing? Are the changes he has made with food etc helping?

Any fun plans for the weekend?

Take care.

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I did Jari Love's Get Ripped & Jacked, Wednesday I did Ride, Extreme Premix and yesterday I did the Pyramid Total Body Combo with the stability ball section added in. I signed up for a free spin class at the Cyclebar in Northville for next Tuesday. I thought it would be fun to try one out. I don't think I will do them regularly as they are $21 per class. They sell discounted packages but even at that price it's too expensive. When I was going to spin classes at Golds gym, they were included in the membership so I went all the time. Now I can see why Peloton Bikes are popular, as expensive as they are.

Deb-Chris is doing a little better but he's still have some issues. He decided he wanted pasta this week and he is paying for it now. He had to take Mylanta last night. All of the tests from his endoscopy came back negative so that is good, but it's going to be hard for him to stay on a GERD friendly eating plan. I'm helping as much as I can, but his tastes are different than mine. I really like bland food and he hates it.

Lori-Nice workouts this week! You are doing so great with everything! I really need to think about getting a Vitamix or a juicer. The only issue here is space. The kitchen is so packed I would have to get rid of something to have room for it, lol!

Diane Sue-I hope your grandson is better today. I hope you feel better too. That headache sounds awful :(

Carolyn-I hope you are feeling better today.

Valerie-Thanks for the recipe! That sounds really good and healthy. Nice walk yesterday!

Have a great day!

Judy

Deb...so far the cheapest price for organic celery is 2.46 a bunch. Been buying at walmart. My local walmart has organic celery! Never noticed before. Quality looks good, heavy and green. Two things to look for when buying. I would say 1 bunch and 1/2 makes enough for me and my husband. I have been buying about 12 to 14 bunches a week...so min of $29.52 a week. I was originally buying from wegman’s but their price was 3.59 a bunch. So using walmart dropped it some. I blend with filtered water and drink the pulp. when juicing you do not use water and the fiber/pulp is discarded. You use a ton more celery when doing so. I am going to juice a glass this weekend to see the difference.

Deb, I 've never used frozen sprouts. I use frozen corn, peas, spinach but that's it. fresh would be better. fresh vegies are always better. vegies have to be blanched ( partly cooked) before freezing so frozen sprouts would probably not roast as long, but maybe it says on the package. I'd advise starting with fresh ones. I'm amazed at the pictures on frozen vegie packages, and then what it REALLY looks like when package is opened. IMO corn, peas and spinach freeze well. most of the year fresh is not as good as frozen.

Lori this is so funny. I love vegetables but not celery. I use it with onion, carrot, garlic as the start of many soups, but by itself I don't like it. so salty! one year we grew it just to see if we could, and ended up with tons of celery. big mistake. does it taste salty when its juiced? a whole grocery cart full of celery!

we are walking again today. too cold to ride but a warm wet front is moving in tonight so it might be very interesting for a while when cold ground meets warm rain.

Judy that is too bad Chris is having problems. when you say pasta, is that with tomato sauce? I love tomatoes and tomato sauce, but GERD diets probably exclude tomatoes. to me, pasta means tomato sauce. pasta by itself is so bland. the one thing that bothers me is orange juice. I don't drink juice and only use it in cooking.

I love intense flavors, and spices, heat. I make a dish, separate it before serving so I can 'enhance" my portion . DH over does salt. I like heat but not salt. Mr. hypertension oversalts everything while I am busy shaking on hot pepper flakes or Chohula.
Judy great workouts!. what is special about a peloton bike? is it an high end spin bike? peloton means a lot of things in cycling. I thought peloton referred to people training to ride closely together in groups on road rides, drafting each other. like you see in cycle races.

Carolyn hope you are feeling better today.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.