Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/16

Things ..... internet and phone are back to normal around 1 pm. I did shopping and then part of lowvimpact sweat. When she switches to the step after 20 min I start having problems. Did the first part. A few of the step things ....then switched to elliptical for 15. I can work much harder without needing to think about where my feet should be. Then core 1 . I keep trying but step things don’t work for me. I need to think way too much about what I’m doing and it’s hard and aggravating.

Good morning,

No workout or PT yesterday. I need to get back into a regular schedule. Ike has certainly thrown things off a bit, but he is worth it. :)

Diane Sue, I hope you feel better today. Sinus headaches are horrible. Like I mentioned before, when I get a bad one, I sometimes think it might be a migraine. I can't even be in the light.

Valerie, glad your power/internet is restored. Have you tried Cathe's Basic Step DVD? I am tempted at times, but really find that I don't enjoy step the way I used to years ago. Even if it is the basic stuff I don;'t have problems with.

Carolyn, good you were able to switch out that workout before getting to far into it. Nothing like having a pair of "good" sneakers that cause pain. Ugh.

Hi to Judy and Lori,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Wednesday I did a new Yin Yoga that I found on YouTube. It was Brett Larkin's Yin Yoga for Hips and Shoulders:
I didn't feel like it was as thorough as Travis Eliot's Yin but it was very gentle and relaxing and I will probably do it again. Thursday I did RWH Bonus Abs 1 & 2 then RWH Legs, weights only and Back. Yesterday I did Pedal Power Extreme Premix.

Deb-I bet Ike has thrown your schedule off. I hope he is feeling better. You should post some photos of him.

Diane Sue-I hope you are feeling better today.

Valerie-Basic Step is a good one to start with. I've done it several times, but haven't progressed much further. I do have several of Cathe's Step DVDs and I would like to do them at some point.

Carolyn-I am the same way, I need to plan my workouts. Even if I'm not doing a specific rotation I will plan my workouts a week ahead. I also need organization and structure. My husband is much more spontaneous and less organized. It makes life interesting, that's for sure :)

Lori-Great job with the 19,000 steps! Jessica also has 2 new yoga/stretch type DVDs out but I'm not going to get those, at least not right away. I have all of her other yoga and stretch DVDs and probably don't need any more.

Have a great day!

Judy

Reactions: WD
Ha ha... me do a real step workout?? not happening. this is x- train low impact sweat and overall is not bad. (I loaded it the day before, then the power flickered a few times and then went out, so no workout on wed). I got a full size step last yr for xmas , use it a lot... but not much for actual "step". I usually miss the first couple reps trying to figure out how to do what cathe flies thru effortlessly. I don't know why I am such a klutz at this. it is like my brain and feet are barely connected, especially if my arms are supposed to do something else. arms override the feet.
after I see a couple repeats of a move, maybe I can do it. the less complex the better. the first part of LIS goes fine, actually kind of easy, no step, but I would like to get thru the second part. I think I'll try it again and slow it to 80% and take the step down a layer and see. there was one "box step cha cha" or something that I will sub something else for. what happens is it ends up not being 'cardio" with all the stops, hesitations and stumbles. so yesterday I jumped on the elliptical. I crank up the tension/rate and the cardio is completed, watching LIS. machine tells me I am burning approx. 11 calories a minute. so there is comfort in knowing I can do "cardio", not step cardio. I will take another run at it today. I wanted to get better at this because we don't have cardio equipment at our vacation house, but I could take the step over there if I get better.
Deb what are you able to do right now? you don't want to aggravate the hip issue but you don't want to lose cardio ability either. ellipticals are good equipment for no impact cardio since most use arms and legs so get heart rate up quickly.

I didn’t do a workout this morning. I felt like I need to give my knee a little rest. I ran errands and went to the grocery store. I wanted to get the produce items for Christmas dinner, but didn’t find everything that I needed. I will need to make another trip to the store, something I was trying to avoid.

Judy, thanks for the yoga video. I have seen recommendations for Brett Larkin on another forum.

Valerie, Low Impact Sweat is a good cardio workout. When the step segment gets difficult you could just substitute something similar or do the move on the floor instead of the step.

Deb, I hope you can get back into some type of workout routine soon. I know from personal experience how easy it is to skip it when you have had pain and aren’t very motivated. It was helpful for me to do short workouts of 20 minutes or so for a while. Once those endorphins start flowing you will feel much better!

Diane Sue, hope you are better today.

Hello to Lori.

Did low impact sweat again. Carolyn, I'm thinking there are two LIS workouts, one from X train and one from ICE? could be mistaken, I didn't actually look. I'm doing the x-train one. it went much better today. I did the whole thing, then did x train bi's and tri's separately. sometimes I do better if I see the step moves a few times, and the "box step cha cha " got simplified. one less riser helped a lot. I'm not a clear thinker when out of breath.

Valerie, the X Train workout is All Out Low Impact HiiT. It has floor cardio, step cardio, and disc cardio. Is that the one that you did? Low Impact Sweat is from ICE.

I am still not feeling that well. I woke up feeling awful and a 101 temp. . Once I got going and took some Motrin and the expectorant then a long sit in the tub with a warm cloth over my face, I felt like a new person. I got some cooking done and stuff, but late this afternoon I think my fever was coming back up because I started having chills. I was busy and did not take the time to take my temp. I will check before I go to bed tonight. Taking something twice in a day is progress and I had much more energy than I have had. I am skipping the workouts till I have some time without spiking a fever.
I probably should have tried to get in to see my pcp. I go through times where I feel half way decent and think I am improving. I know I am somewhat better today.

Valerie, glad you got your internet back up and running. That sure throws things off. I do some step workouts so often that I will run and throw Gerties toy downstairs and run back into my workout space and start right into it no problem. The only thing that generally messes me up is when the instructor makes a mistake on the live ones. Then it is harder to get back into sync. I don't like dance workouts. I am never in the right spot when there are turns and spins and the like. Kelly Coffey says on a lot of her workouts where she incorporates the step, that you can do them without one. In Step Boxing she has someone doing the workouts without a step. There is Low Impact Step and there is All Out Low Impact Step. I have some step workouts that have so much choreography that it is a real learning process. I have a couple I still do not have down. I do not like feeling like I have wasted my cardio time moving slow and trying to figure out the moves. Generally I just keep moving doing what I can do so I am not totally blowing it.

Judy, a pm or urgent care facility opened up by the Sprouts around the corner. I have no clue how Medicare and my supplement handles something like that. I may resort to that if the fever gets worse again. I would rather wait till m doctor's office is open. I doubt they are open Monday and I know they won't be on Tuesday.

Carolyn, when my knee starts bothering me I have to cut back on step work. Some fitness shoes just turn the foot enough the wrong way to throw the stance off. I have a pair of Nikes that I bought years ago and every once in awhile I will try them out and realize why I don't wear them. I let my granddaughter wear them once and commented on how uncomfortable they were, so it was not just me. Those grocery stores stuff gets picked over and all taken up sometimes. I really feel better if I have everything ahead of time. I picked up the apples a week ago for the pie.

Deb, I know what you mean, Ike is worth it. He will get better and all will be behind you. When I have had migraines sounds and light would make it worse.

Judy, nice workouts this week. The yin yoga looks good. Yin yoga always feels so good and is very relaxing.

Kelly just put up her first one of a series called ripped and ride on her raw channel. It is a spin and weight interval workout. I wish I was up for it now. Mid January there will be a new raw interval workout and a legs and glutes workout I think that is what the new lower body one is called.

Carolyn, I am doing the one fromX-train. similar names. cardio, step, disk cardio, Core 1, and optional chest-burn sets but I didn't do the burn sets. I did x-train bi's and tri's. I don't do a regular rotation but try to alternate upper body workouts and I've done chest recently. I always like the upper body work outs from x-train.
I never did any workouts with a step since I didn't have one back then. I think this will work well for me, but will do it a few more times to get it cemented into my brain. I was fine with the cardio and disk cardio, just the step gave me fits.

diane sue, that's what I was getting at... it gets hard to see your doctor next week if you need to. may not be possible at all. I've used the urgent care group that's part of the large group where my primary care person works. its close by and very convenient, and I've had good experiences there. there is a co pay but after that it's covered. gotta stay in network! it always seems like that's the one time you really need to be seen.... when no one you are familiar with is working.

I am not a firearms person but we are pretty far out away from help where we are. I think this is probably way "'overkill" but it is not an AK-47 , just a 'persuader" . we are on our own out there. I don't think you could get help in any kind of reasonable time if you needed it, so best be able to take care of yourself. I would never shoot anything mobdro kodi unless it was a crisis and then still only to chase it away

anyway, had lunch with a friend today visiting from the Midwest. lots of drive time for me. not that many miles, but fricking OMG traffic. got in a short but hard time on the elliptical for 25 minutes. a treadmill warm up but it was bothering my ankle so I switched to the elliptical. ankle bothered me and time was short, so I stuck to a machine where ROM is limited.
diane sue I can't understand how you can be getting allergies to cedar and juniper at this time of year. why do you think it is those trees... should not be releasing pollen in the winter? not questioning allergic reaction, just the source of the allergen.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.