Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/16

I had a great time today with the ladies :) They did some new game with rolling the dice and instructions for different numbers rolled for the gift exchange. Then I learned a new card game called golf :)

Deb, pumpkin and sweet potatoes are not the same. I think one is a like a gourd and the other is a tuber?? Neither is a grain though.

Judy, nice work with Amy's Drop Set Strength. I like how some of it is compound moves fit into the workout and each move changes a bit. She does quite a bit of Kettle bell work. I have pretty much all of the workouts till the last step challenge type workouts. Stepletic?
I haven't purchased that one.

Carolyn, I sure have not gotten very good calorie burns for the heart rate that Fit Bit is giving me. I can't figure out what is up with it. I know it is off, because I generally can get about what you got today for that time frame. I am wondering if my Fit Bit is wearing out or something. Nice work :) I am not good at spontaneous most times. Just the workouts. Otherwise there needs to be a plan.

Valerie, I have been to a gun range once. My husband wanted me to learn how to handle a gun. My daughter keeps one where they are at because of the wild life that comes up and snakes and such. I can be so indecisive on a workout, that I put in multiple dvds before I make up my mind. At least the streaming sites are a bit faster when I change my mind than loading and unloading dvds.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises yesterday. Ike's UA culture came back with no sign of bacteria ( except normal stuff). I am taking him for blood work this morning, He had to fast, poor baby is very confused, no food this morning, no treats. :(. They want to make sure his liver and kidney values are normal. Keep your fingers crossed.

Judy, that JS workouts sounds interesting....can you only get it with a series, or can it be purchases as a stand alone?

Carolyn, I like using the Cathe weighted gloves sometimes, the ones that you put the little sand bags in? They have open fingers so no sweat. I like to have my week of workouts, loosely planned, or like I mentioned, there is a good chance I will just pass and not do anything. I really want to be able to do the new workouts.

Diane Sue, that gift game made a splash on FB....our dog club used it for the gift game that they do each Christmas party. Thanks on the info on sweet potatoes....I frequently use them in the dog's food. Now with the newest info, on not being a UTI, ( ?) I guess the grain question is moot. Although, it's good to know, as I did want their food to be grain free anyway.

Valerie, is the pistol permit you are getting going to be for Washington State as well as Montana? or do you already have a Washington state one? I am sometimes like you described, stand at the workout area, staring at the DVD's or now, at my list of Live workouts....it gets overwhelming at times.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Well I'm confused. what happened with Ike that led them( you and the vet) to think he had another UTI? good that its not a UTI but what restarted the process? did they do a urine dip at the office? did they get a misleading result from it?

Deb laws differ by state . we would have bought in MT ( no sales tax, that is where we will keep it) but you need to be a state resident, submit a lot of documentation to prove it. we live there part time and own a house but that is not enough. loads of documentation, paperwork involved. easier to buy the hand gun here where we live most of the time. we can take it with us to MT as long as purchased legally, registered here.

Laws regarding hand guns are a lot stricter than for buying /owning a long gun. we have no intention of getting a concealed carry permit. It took us several weeks to buy a hand gun here, with loads of paper work, waiting periods, background checks. it is rigorous. I am IMPRESSED. it SHOULD be that way. Rules in a shooting range are strict... for safety etc. the range we went to was nice. orderly, clean, safe. I am a really good shot... lucky that way. DH went thru the military but I am a better shot. I need to use this gun several more times. loading, unloading etc. models/ serial numbers are all registered . we have a trigger lock and will keep it in a gun safe there. it took about 6 weeks to do the process to obtain it. I am NOT complaining. it shouldn't be fast and simple.
diane sue, If you have a gun in the house, it is good that all adults know safe use. secured from kids and easy theft.
ETA WA passed an initiative this past election to make securing guns mandatory. so many times kids get access, get shot accidentally, or in case of school shooters, get a gun from home and shoot someone intentionally. when that happens now, the parents can be held responsible.
won't fix everything, but progress.

I am suggestible...after carolyn mentioned hard Strikes, I did it. I never used it because no pink gloves! I used all the other workouts from X-train a lot. I started HS once but my weighted gloves ... Velcro does not hold them in place. instantly feel them working their way off. they don't last a minute. way too big a distraction. DH had some bigger gloves for a speed bag, but they were too loose, flapped all over. so I did it without gloves. I have trouble with the footwork. I really am like Trigger.... can't even do that easy appearing bounce from right to left. I don't turn around either since that causes issues, so I just "jack" or jump facing forward jumping in place instead. so its a good workout tho without gloves I got off easy. then did core 1. did the weighted part after using 5's. should go to 8's. I like Rock em Sock em better but should do this a few times before deciding. I used to like KPC but haven't done it recently.

Pumpkins and winter squash are all the same plant family. potatoes are different. why can't dogs have grains?

Last edited:
My allergies just started hitting hard. Last night I could hardly sleep. So, I am dragging, but still managed a workout. I did it later since my granddaughter stayed overnight and she went to work at 10:00. Getting my Map My Fitness App back to working took time. It was me, I was using the wrong email address. Then I had to reboot the Blue tooth for my device. I did a new workout that they just started a first season of on Les Mills on Demand. It is for stationary bikes and is called "The Trip". Pretty cool because you are traveling through computer graphics with music and a voice telling when you to put into gear for hill climbs and jumps and when to sit and changing pace. It was much better than sitting and watching people on a bike. There are 4 of them on the site right now. I did The Trip#10, 44 minutes, 10.4 miles, 1,892 steps, 306 calories, met 6.3. Fit Bit is not working well today so I did some figuring as Map My Fitness set for spin was 362 calories and the bike had it at 381. I need to charge my Fit Bit, it is low. It gave me 193 calories and I know I was working way harder than that and it doesn't even jive with everything else. I am starting to get frustrated with it. I also forgot that I had paused the Fit Bit for a bit to answer check my granddaughter's text and answer her.
I need to get in gear, no matter how I feel and go to the store since I am out of Advil and I need to give the dog a bath. The cedar and juniper pollen counts have to medium. They have been low for awhile.

Deb, I hope that they can figure out the problem and get Ike back to good health. I always hated having to take away the dogs food when they were sick. They are quite the creatures of habit and what is the expected routine.

Valerie, I think grains are just not suited to most dogs because that is what they would have eaten in the wild. It causes digestive disturbances and often packed foods load a lot of them into their formulas to make money. Any time my dogs ate the stuff with all of those grains, they ended up with terrible flatulence. Also the dog ends up deprived of the correct amount of protein ratio. Some veggies are fine. I even avoid the ones that try to fill in with lentils and bean products instead of the grains.

This morning I did part of Power Hour for 43 minutes and 180 calories burned. My average heart rate was 113 and maximum heart rate was 147. I skipped the shoulders, biceps, and triceps section. I didn’t have time to do the entire workout, but I was okay with that since I did the upper body conditioning from a Hard Strikes yesterday.

Valerie, I don’t always wear the gloves with a Hard Strikes. It is more boxing based without as much kickboxing as KPC. It’s a good workout even without the gloves.

Diane Sue, the cycling workout with scenery sounds like fun. I’m sorry that your Fitbit is not working properly. It’s very frustrating when the technology is off.

Judy, I looked at the previews for Jessica’s new workouts, but decided to pass on them. I’m glad that you like it.

Hello to Deb and Lori.

Carolyn, I always felt that Power Hour was kind of like Body Pump only a bit easier. I think Body Pump body part segments are longer. No rests except briefly between body parts.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was Live Low Impact Blast Off Circuit. Today I took a rest day. Our office holiday party was yesterday and all the running around I did and decorating, I ended up with just over 19,000 steps. Needed to sleep in a bit this morning. I earned this! Chelsie will start again next next week. She is pretty sad about their cat. Completely understand. Thank you all for your kind words. I loved that cat but it was time.

The only time I know what workouts I am doing for the week is when I am doing a rotation. I am more of what am I in the mood for. I never know what the workout will be until I wake up and actually think about it.

Deb...I am thinking the new workouts will work you. I am thinking they are going to be more intense then they look. I am looking forward to them.

Valerie...I think it is smart to have a handgun where your home is. We have thought about it here where we live. Sometimes I can’t make up my mind what workout I am in the mood for. So many to choose from. Sounds like even with your modifications you had a great workout doing HS. I modify all the time. If I do not like a move I will do a similar move more to my liking.

Judy...thanks for the links of Jessica’s new workouts. Somehow I completely missed she released these. I will look at the clips to check them out. I may wait on buying since the LITE series will be out soon. I am sure I will eventually buy them! I have done x77 twice and both times I was exhausted afterwards. It has been a couple of years since I last did it.

Carolyn...I like Hard strikes and use the heavy bag for most of the workout. I love the bonus heavy bag workout too. Great workout.

Diane Sue...your lunch sounds like it was fun! So sorry about your allergies. Amazing you were able to get a workout in. Do you still stream the Raw workouts? I am thinking about pausing her for a bit.

Have a great night all!!

I am not a firearms person but we are pretty far out away from help where we are. I think this is probably way "'overkill" but it is not an AK-47 , just a 'persuader" . we are on our own out there. I don't think you could get help in any kind of reasonable time if you needed it, so best be able to take care of yourself. I would never shoot anything unless it was a crisis and then still only to chase it away

anyway, had lunch with a friend today visiting from the Midwest. lots of drive time for me. not that many miles, but fricking OMG traffic. got in a short but hard time on the elliptical for 25 minutes. a treadmill warm up but it was bothering my ankle so I switched to the elliptical. ankle bothered me and time was short, so I stuck to a machine where ROM is limited.
diane sue I can't understand how you can be getting allergies to cedar and juniper at this time of year. why do you think it is those trees... should not be releasing pollen in the winter? not questioning allergic reaction, just the source of the allergen.

Last edited:
Good morning,

All tests were normal, they even tested for Lepto, which was highly unlikely, but has some of the same symptoms when it starts and we have had some breakouts in the area. I was ok with that just for the peace of mind. It appears that he did have a UTI, in the beginning, and right now it may be more of a behavioral thing, with the UTI, combined with house training etc.

Judy, thanks for the links! Something to keep on a "good workouts to get" list. I really want to take advantage of the new workouts, if my hip will be ok with them.

Valerie, very confusing, situation. The tests that they do at the vets showed the presence of white/red cells which leads them to the conclusion he has a UTI. He probably did at first. We are now only giving water for 15 minutes, 3 times a day. Only for 7 days. His bladder seems like he can't "hold it", or thinks he can't due to the feelings he had when he had the UTI. We have to watch for the amount of urine he does. If only dribbling, then we need to call as it could then be something structural. I certainly hope that it is just confusion with housetraining, and the UTI situation he had. As for the pistol permits, assume Washington (and any states you drive through) has a reciprocity with Montana to allow you to possess the pistol there? We have a tough time in NY going to other states if you are driving through to get to a destination and the states you drive through do not have reciprocity with NY. It took me 9 months from my initial application to get my permit.

Diane Sue, I hope your allergies are better today.

Lori, kudos on the 19,000+ steps! You must have been exhausted.

Hi to Carolyn,

Take care,

Deb, hope your little guy gets better. must be really confusing with a puppy and puppy behavior to begin with. I always thought male dogs spritzed a little and saved it to mark different spots in their "territory" and didn't empty out in one place. Good luck figuring this out!

I don't think we need to do anything else with the pistol. we will transport it to our other house on the next trip. it would locked, unloaded, in back of car. Canada is a whole different situation. It will not be kept in our vehicle except one way trip. we pass thru a little section of Idaho and then into MT. this is the wild west. WA is more restrictive than either other state will be.
there used to be rules about breaking down/ unloading rifles when passing thru a national park, but those rules changed a few years ago so its legal now. more complicated rules apply if you want to carry a loaded gun out in public. concealed carry permits probably vary all over the map. we won't be "locked and loaded" to go grocery shopping! I don't think we register Montana as long as we purchased legally and registered numbers etc here in WA. goes into federal database. hand guns and long guns have different rules. buying a shotgun was way easier, I think we did it all the same day, background check and all. we have a shot gun there already. very unlikely we'll ever need any of this!

stormy here today. windy and rainy. power out kind of day.

New #80
This morning I did Les Mills Body Combat express # 58, 37 minutes, 3,647 steps, heart rate average 139, 177 max, 245 calories, met 6.0. I followed this with Coffey Fit Raw Weights Circuit #1, 32 minutes,(actual 27), met 4.2, 148 calories, 704 steps, heart rate average 105, max 162. Total time was 69 minutes, 393 calories.
I could not find a worksheet that I had printed for this one, but know I have done it.
There are 5 rounds, the last being a brief round, 30 seconds work, 10 sec rest. Kelly uses a 33# barbell, 12# dbs, 7.5 #dbs. I used 35# barbell, 15# and 8# dbs also a bench
rnd #1
chest flys 15# dbs
skull crushers 15# dbs
pledge curls 15# dbs
shoulder press 15# dbs
alternating row from a low squat position place db on the floor 25# db
kickbacks 8# dbs
deadlift 35# barbell
squat deadlift 35# barbell
Rnd 2 same as rnd 1 except lateral raise with 8# dbs instead of shoulder press
Rnd 3
bench press 15# dbs
tate press 15# dbs
hammer curls 15# dbs
shoulder press 15# dbs
Bent over row barbell 35#
Kickstand dead lift 35# barbell
squat deadlift 35# barbell
Rnd #4
Bench press 15# dbs
tate press 15# dbs
alternating lateral raise 8# dbs
Bent over row alternating placing db on the floor 25# db
Kickstand dead lift 35# barbell
squat 35# barbell
Rnd 5
flies 15# dbs
bent over row from the floor alternating 25# db

I will come back in awhile. My grandson is coming over to detail my husbands vehicle.

Today I did All Out Low Impact HiiT for 40 minutes and 285 calories burned. My average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 160. The rotation had Tabatacise scheduled, but I didn’t want that much impact.

Lori, your rest day was well deserved. I don’t think that I have ever gotten 19,000 steps. The most that I have done in one day is 16,000 when I was participating in a challenge.

Diane Sue, the Power Hour segments are short. It has always struck me as a good workout for someone just starting with Cathe’s strength workouts because she provides a lot of instruction. I hope your allergies are better.

Hello to Valerie, Deb, and Judy. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I think I have some virus with the allergies. Now my taste buds have quit. My eyes burn and water. Last night I was running a 100.4 temperature. I went outside for a bit with Gertie and it is so windy. When I came back in my symptoms were worse. We have tons of leaves falling and all over despite that we cleaned them all up not long ago.

Lori, 19,000 steps is awesome. I rarely get quite 10,000. The Les Mills on Demand cardio based workouts seem to get me quite a few steps. I am keeping the Raw workouts. I still do them and they seem safer than many workouts out there. The price is good :)

Valerie, I have a couple of apps that give the pollen and allergy updates for the day. Also there is a local clinic in our state that allergy reports come through. I hadn't checked while we were having some freezing temps as they were not bothering me. It is getting into the 50's now. My bulbs and plants outside have not died off yet. We have had longer allergy seasons the last couple of years because weather has been warmer. My daughter in law has been terribly miserable and she has had the allergy shots. Those are the pollens that are out there right now. The reports and checking when I am having bad allergy symptoms help me identify what bothers me. Cedar seems to be one of my worst. My husband carries a gun with him when we travel.

Carolyn, I have to know my joints are not giving me any trouble before I do Tabatacise. I like it though and feel really accomplished when I get through the entire workout.

Good morning,

I just got back from babysitting. I didn;t sleep well last night, so a nap is definitely in order.

Valerie, ye, male dogs tend to "mark" their territory, but it seems like Ike would be too young for that yet. I am hoping that with a little time, he will be better.

Diane Sue, how nice to have someone detail your vehicle! Sorry your allergies have not improved. It does sound like they are still around in your area. With a fever, maybe it is partly a virus, like you mentioned.

Hi to Carolyn, Lori & Judy,

Take care,

No workout today. I woke up with a 101 fever and decided it was probably not a good idea. My sinuses are so bad right now. My son in law dropped off some Mucinex awhile ago. So, maybe tomorrow along with cooking and stuff. We are having our family Christmas at my daughters on Sunday. I was going to make rolls and apple pie. I may find myself buying rolls.

Deb, I was talking to my daughter and I think I may have a sinus infection or something brought on by the allergies. It is rare for me to be this congested and my head hurts all around my sinuses. Even my left eye has been hurting. I have been diffusing some eucalyptus oil. I can't smell it though :(

Good morning. Out of power most of yesterday and internet /phone is still not working. One hell of a windstorm. More later when cable gets fixed.

ETA , out of order here, but judy is right much easier to get seen today than the weekend. I used to get sinus infections before getting my tonsils out. best thing I ever did.

Last edited:
Diane Sue-I'm sorry you don't feel well. Maybe you should go to urgent care. I've had sinus pain like that and it's no fun :(

Valerie-I'm sorry about your power :( Hopefully you'll get your internet and phone back soon.

Today I started with RWH Lower Body Circuit, but I quickly realized that it wasn’t working for my knee today. After 6 minutes I stopped and selected another workout. I did JS Lower Body Focus circuit from Boost Metabolism + Muscle. That was 35 minutes and 159 calories burned. My average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 144. I have a pair of running shoes that don’t work well for me. Whenever I wear them all day my knee starts to bother me. They just don’t provide the correct support for me. My youngest and oldest daughters arrived last night and we have been busy all day.

Diane Sue, it does sound like you have a sinus infection. I hope you can get some relief.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful evening.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.