Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/4

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Carolyn, good job on Cardio Slam. Isn't that the one with the different premixes that lets you eliminate a part that you don't like, as in the "floor" stuff?

Diane Sue, Good that Walmart was not crowded. I hate going there. When I started using a Magic Eraser on the grout, I purchased a bulk quantity on Ebay, since they wore out and were too expensive to buy the smaller quantity boxes at the supermarket.

Valerie, your welcome. Glad you are able to print etc.

Lori, thanks so much for doing that Live spreadsheet. I miss my Live workouts a lot. I have been so messed up with the floors, rugs, and then the puppy! I want to get back to doing them again.

Judy, glad Chris is doing better. When I had that same thing, the DR prescribed one of the PPI's for a couple of weeks too. He said that after 2 weeks I would be fine and would not have to take them again. Unfortunately, they did not do anything even during the 2 weeks. That is very unusual, as most people get better within the 2 weeks. That is when I started going to the Gastroenterologist and had the endoscopy done. I did a similar thing with our bed, but instead of using the bed frame, I put multiple pillows between the mattress and the box spring. It helps with John's snoring more than it ever helped my heartburn. LOL.

Ike has his last "puppy shot" visit today, then we can start taking him places and he has 2 puppy obedience classes he will be going to.

Take care,

This morning I did Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio + Pull Day. I recorded the cardio separately from the strength section. Mixed Impact Cardio was 24 minutes and 177 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 145. I forgot to start my Fitbit again until I had done the first group of exercises so I missed part of the data. Anyway, my time for Pull Day was 45 minutes and 161 calories burned. Average heart rate was 128, and maximum heart rate was 145.

Diane Sue, my heart rate during Cardio Slam was probably lower than yours because I used mostly low impact modifications.

Deb, hopefully you will be able to get some type of workout routines going again soon. Yes, Cardio Slam has the premixes where you can eliminate a section. It also has the premix where Cathe demonstrates low impact modifications. I didn’t use that one yesterday since I have learned the modifications.

Judy, great job with ICE Muscle Meltdown Back and Biceps, and Lower Body Blast.

Hello to Lori and Valerie.

This morning I did Kelly Coffey Step Boxing 2 workout #1, 32 minutes, 205 calories, heart rate average 129, max 161, met 5.8, 2,803 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Step 2, 40 minutes, 265 calories, heart rate average 137, max 162, met 6.0, 3,653 steps. Total time was 72 minutes, 470 calories, 6,456 steps. My neck is still tender and sore. If I could quit coughing I think it would help a lot. Still avoiding upper body workouts. Maybe lower tomorrow. I will see how it goes. It is supposed to get to freezing here tonight. Drizzle outside today, I am hoping the work on the roof is good for impending weather.

Valerie, I have thought that if the bed was elevated, I would find myself tensing up trying to keep from sliding down or something. I don't think I would find it comfortable. As it is I fight with my pillow if I get to close to the edge and I feel like my head is falling over the edge. I have a hard time getting comfortable.

Deb, that is nice that you will be able to take Ike out places and getting started with obedience classes. I was surprised when I got to Walmart and there was not people all over the place or workers stocking shelves. They have reorganized the whole store, so I have to hunt for things. I really do not like it when they do that. Holiday stuff is all out, which reminded me that I won't be going there after Thanksgiving till we get through to the new year. I will just use the Walmart Market and Sprouts. They tore down their grocery pick up building that they had put up. I was surprised since it hasn't been there that long. It does say pick up on the side of the store. Makes me wonder what that building was for and think they sure know how to waste money.

Carolyn, I really prefer doing those workouts and separating the cardio as a workout and the weights as a workout. I think I get a more accurate reading and idea of where I am when logging. That makes sense of Cardio Slam since I did not modify this time. I think Bootcamp is the one that I like to modify a bit and it has too much overhead stuff to me.

we planned to hike or snowshoe this morning and got to snow, but not enough depth to snowshoe, and too sloppy and brushy to hike. after the snow gets deep enough to bury the brush, it is possible. we are in between seasons. we did a little, but I will do something else like treadmill later.

diane sue, that's what happens to me..... if the bed is elevated, I keep working my way down trying to get to "flat". DH is not bothered by it, which is a good thing. it makes it hard to sleep in the same bed.

Lori we used to dread voting because it was always after work, we were both tired, stuck in two different cars fighting our way to the polling place, and it was always dark and raining!! with a line. then the rest of the drive home. WA has converted in steps to all mail voting over the last several years following the example of Oregon. this year we do not even pay postage. whatever is needed to get more people involved. I think online has too much danger of hacking to even be considered. I think Colorado and California have some version of mail voting too, but not 100%. Carolyn, you are fortunate to enjoy the process. I don't know why so many people blow it off, but making it easier and more accessible can't hurt.

Good morning,

I took Ike to the vet yesterday for his final puppy shot, and to check to see if he has a bladder infection. Yes, he has a "full blown UTI" were the vet's words. Poor puppy! I knew there was something wrong. Hopefully the meds will kick in soon and we both will get some relief.

Carolyn, I really like the fact that Cathe did that premix where she showed the low impact versions of certain exercises. I wish she would do that more often on the high impact DVD workouts. She does it frequently for the LIVE workouts.

Diane Sue, did you mention what you thought caused the neck pain? I hope its better today. So the roof repair is finished? Never heard of Walmart Market. Is that a different building?

Valerie, too bad about the hike not working out. When will the official winter season start where you are?

Hi to Judy & Lori,

Take care,

Deb, I feel sorry for Ike. I hope the meds kick the problem out quickly. I think the neck problem is strain from coughing so hard and aggravating it more when we were putting new seals on the toilet tank. We had a hard time getting the bolts loosened. It is a tight space and I laid on the floor with a ratchet to loosen the bolt while my husband held the screw driver in the tank. It was hard to turn and the bolts are long. The bolts were rusted. I could feel the tension in an already somewhat neck and shoulder.
We have Walmart Markets that are a grocery store rather than a full department and grocery.

Today I did Fit Split Shred Cardio + Push Day. Shred Cardio was 26 minutes and 193 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 146. Push Day was 38 minutes with 168 calories burned. My average heart rate was 112 and my maximum heart rate was 133.

Diane Sue, nice job with Step Boxing 2 and Raw Step. I hope your neck is feeling better. Is that Walmart store one of the Walmart Neighborhood Markets?

Hello to everyone and have a great day.

Deb it was Ok, and a beautiful day with snow on all the mountains and clear blue sky. we got some exercise in although not as much as planned. As the snow level drops, we snow accumulates at lower and lower elevation. right now there is snow at about 4000 feet with more as you go higher. the road we drove up yesterday had some snow accumulation, a few inches, and we hoped to climb up a route past the end of the road. there was not enough snow there yet to cover the brush so it wasn't possible. we walked around and looked at animal tracks after giving a try to going up the slope. it gets really messy when all the brush is snowy but not covered. we found deer, coyote, rabbit tracks and fresh tracks from a little bear. most high roads are closed for the season. Every year is different but most years we start getting snow accumulation in late October and beginning of November. these are gravel forest service roads, not highways, and just used recreationally. Rain is back today so I'm getting shopping done. also an indoor workout since the last couple days have been slow.
Bummer for Ike.. at least you got treatment going during the week rather than over a weekend.

Carolyn I had a point shocker yesterday. I had some Japanese frozen soup bowls I used for lunch yesterday we didn't plan be home until later. a small bowl with a little chicken, vegetables and a few ramen noodles. seemed very light and maybe 6 oz all together with only water added to it. 11 points (!!!!) Holy cow! according to the bar code reader. does not seem possible. I don't use prepared things very often, this is a good reason why. I need to drag out the package from recycle and check the numbers. I would have guessed at most 200 calories. was very light tasting and looking.

Diane sue, toilet repair is such fun. Always harder than it needs to be since toilets are always crammed into a space where 2 people can't fit without removing a wall. .

This morning I did Cathe Ice Bootcamp no upper body, 31 minutes, heart rate average 114, max 143, 2,014 steps, met 5.8, 224 calories. I then did PHA mish mosh lower #2 each exercise done 3 times before moving to the next, met 5.1, 174 calories, 1,017 steps, heart rate 108 average, 136 max. I finished off with Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped Power Stretch, 23 minutes, 51 calories, 29 steps. Total time was 89 minutes, 449 calories, 3,060 steps.
PHA weights step with 3 rises
Squat off end of step 15# DB , 12 reps, 3 sets
Side Lunge 15# DBS, 12 reps, 3 sets alt right and left counts 1 reps
Step Ups 15# DBS, 12 reps, 3 sets
Cross Back lunge off of step 15# DB, 12 reps, 3 sets
Deadlifts 25# DBS, 12 reps, 3 sets
Standing Squats 25# DBS , 12 reps 3 sets

Carolyn, yes it is a Walmart Neighborhood Market. It is closer and pretty convenient. I much prefer to go there. It seems that there are quite a lot of them around here.

Valerie, yes, it seems that something that should be so simple would not become such a hard task. I had mercy on my husband when I saw him trying to use a hand mirror to see the bolt and nut underneath while he was trying to find the center of the rusted bolt inside the tank. No way was he going to fit down there on the floor. I bought parts for a faucet and he said he doesn't think that looks like fun. Just springs and a rubber seal that goes inside where the stem is. I think that is all it needs. Packaging was hard to determine if it was the right size for our exact Delta Faucet. No numbers matched anywhere I looked. This is universal for Delta two handle faucets. I am hoping for not to much problem with it.

Valerie, that’s odd about the points for the Japanese soup bowl. I would definitely calculate the points from the label to see if it matches. I just looked up ramen noodles and ramen noodle soup and they are both pretty high in points for what you get. It looks like ramen noodles are high in saturated fat (?).

Diane Sue, there are a few of those neighborhood markets around, but not near me. I’m glad you were able to do a strength workout today.

Carolyn, I never liked ramen noodles anyway. The broth has tons of sodium in it generally. Odd it would be high in saturated fat. I am not much of a noodle fan unless it is homemade egg noodles or dumplings, which I am careful not to make since I would eat a lot of them.
We have two Walmart neighborhood markets not far from us and the supercenter. The Market is closer though. I am glad that I have a choice. I chose a lower body strength day again to stay away from the neck area a bit longer. It still taxes it a bit just holding the weights. The pre-mix that I did really was one that I would not want to go excessively heavy on anyway. I sort of felt I was pushing it with the 25's. But, doing the PHA as a total body, I have used 30's. More rest between body parts with that one.

Carolyn ramen noodles are high because they are fried before dried into the square packages we see all the time. I used to buy baked ramen, but a few years ago it dropped off the radar. have not seen it since. I liked it for backpacking dinners. it cooks fast, shelf stable, easy. this was not many noodles but I'll bet its the sat fat.
I was shopping this morning and didn't look at the cardboard package yet. …. at bottom of recycle bin usually you sense you're eating on the "high" end, but I didn't this time. seemed like broth with a few pieces of chicken, vegies, and some noodles. maybe the product comes in different size packages.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday was a rest day. Woke up and I knew immediately I was not working out. Stayed in my rocking chair, enjoyed my coffee while holding my kittie. We both enjoyed it. :) Today was a LEKfit bounce with the firewalker intervals. Loved it.

Judy...glad Chris is feeling better. I am going to love having a rebounder at work. It will be hear on Monday! I love LBB. I need to pull this out. I must have done the leg conditioning drills a million times. One of my favorite Cathe Barre secotion.

Diane Sue...Bouncing will certainly help my energy level. In the afternoons. I am so looking forward to it. I am planning just health / free style bounces while watching TV. Nothing intense - just to get things flowing. My 44inch Jumpsport folds but I never have needed to fold it. I thought It would be easy to take to the Cape but with the bar on it - not so much. Too much work to dismantle. That is why I ended up with a smaller rebounder. Nerver heard of Walmart Markets. We have none in our area.

Deb...poor Ike. Glad you know what is going on and can start to treat it. Great thinking using a Magic Eraser! I would never have thought of that. I very rarely go to Walmart now. I order from them on line with free 2 day ship. Made my life so easy. We try and take GiGi with us while we are doing errands. She loves errand day.

Carolyn...I never record each workout. I start my watch and when I finish no matter what I am doing I then stop it. Makes complete sense to do what you and Diane Sue do.

Valerie....crazy you are taling about snowshoeing already. Boy winter came quick. Wow yes I would have been shocked with that amount of points!

Have a great night all!!!

Hi Everyone,

We had our first snow of the season this morning. It was only an inch or so. Yesterday I did Jessica Smith
Walk On-Fat Blaster Walk, Toning Walk and Bonus Standing Abs and today I did Boost Metabolism & Muscle, Total Focus and Walk Strong 360 Abs. Tonight I added on Jessica's bonus chair stretch and LW's Posture Improvement workout.

Deb-Poor Ike :( I hope he is better soon. That is too bad that the PPI's didn't help you. Between those and the pillow, Chris seems to be feeling quite a bit better. We are still going to the gastro appt. on Monday but he's not as concerned as he was before.

Valerie-Thanks for the link. Those are helpful tips. Chris has been avoiding some of those things and that is probably helping as much as the medicine and the elevated pillow. He adjusted to the pillow right away. I'm not sure I could sleep on one.

Carolyn-Nice workout today! I need to do more with the Fit Split series. So far the only one I've done is the mix that Lori sent us.

Diane Sue-Nice workout combination today! Good weights too! We don't have Walmart neighborhood markets here.

Lori-I really liked LBB! I agree about the barre section, it's very good.

Have a great night!

Judy

Last edited:
Judy, those are just standard things recommended to try first. for some that's all they need. others might need meds. I seem to react badly to orange juice. oranges are fine, but not juice. some foods relax the sphincter muscle between the stomach and the esophagus and allow stomach contents uphill. not everyone has problems at all, and not necessarily with everything on the list. still best to do non medical measures and avoid meds if you can. hope chris is feeling better.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I did look at the latest Live workout which I may do tomorrow.

Diane Sue, any plumbing work in general is a pain. They always seem more simple than they turn out to be.

Valerie, those soup bowls don't sound like they would be a lot of points, but as you and Carolyn pointed out, the noodles must be the culprit. Who would have guessed? I didn't think noodles had much fat at all. How do you get the WW points from the label/bar code?

Lori, you deserved a day off with a coffee and a kitty cuddle!

Judy, we had some light snow yesterday too. It did not stick though. It kept turning into rain, then snow, then rain etc. Glad Chris is feeling better. It's good that Chris is going to the Gastro appointment. Do you think they will want to do an Endoscopy? At least that will tell them if there is anything going on that is serious. Also, mine took a sampling of my stomach lining and did a biopsy. They also check for the H-pylori( sp? ) bacteria which causes reflux/heartburn too. I bought one of those pillows for John years ago for snoring, he hated it, and I ended up donating it to Goodwill.

Hi to Carolyn,

Take care,

Deb regular pasta is about 6 points for 2 oz dry spaghetti, a one lb package of “spaghetti” is 8 WW servings Ramen in the little flat square packages is fried during processing and is way more points. Like most frozen food, the picture on the box does not resemble what you actually get. They make the numbers sound better by calling what is one serving , two servings.

The WW app has a bar code scanner that gives you point value per serving of most common foods . It works way better than it used to. Almost everything I have checked is on the data base now which was not true 2 yrs ago. you put the scanner window over the bar code and it identifies the product and gives the point value. I knew ramen was not a great choice but the bowl was not big and it seemed more innocent than it was.

Bad morning. Our mail box was destroyed AGAIN. we have a locking box on a sturdy post at top of our driveway. last night someone ran it over with a truck and destroyed the whole thing along with our neighbor's box. No, not an "accident". I'm not sure how many boxes we've lost over the years but this is the second one in about a year. we checked our mail at about 4 pm, didn't get any yesterday. our neighbors are on vacation. so frustrating. a box is about $100. then there is the work of mounting it and re-sinking a new post in concrete. our newspaper tube is on the post too. our two houses were the only ones so we are starting to think we are being targeted. nothing in the box except an outgoing Netflix movie. DH heard some noise around 8 pm last night but did not go outside to check. we hope the surveillance tapes at our gate might identify the vehicle.

Last edited:
This morning I did Rock Out Knock Out, 58 minutes, 371 calories, heart rate average 134, max 164, met 5.8, 4,533 steps. I have my grandson coming in a bit so will have to come back to read.

Deb-I think they will be doing an endoscopy on Monday. I hope they check for H. Pylori too.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your mailbox :( That is horrible. I would be so upset. I hope you can find out who is doing this.

This morning I did JS Steady, Ready, Go from her Burn Fat and Have Fun dvd. It was 31 minutes and 237 calories burned. My average heart rate was 133 and maximum heart rate was 159. Jessica’s workouts are great for those days that I don’t want to do intense cardio. I ran errands this morning and did some shopping. I was able to find a nice fuschia colored dress that I have been wanting. I don’t enjoy shopping, but I like to update my wardrobe with seasonal colors when possible.

Judy, those Fat Blaster walks are favorites of mine. I just started using the Boost Metabolism and Muscle workouts although I’ve had them for a while. I like all that I have done so far.

Valerie, the bar code scanner is a great tool. I sometimes use it in the grocery store if I am buying a new food. A lot of people in my group swear by it. They also love the ability to look up restaurants to know points values before they go. I don’t eat out often, but I use the app to plan ahead when I do. I never considered how ramen noodles are prepared, but that makes sense that they are fried first.

Hello to Deb, Diane Sue, and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.