Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/2

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning & Happy October!

John went fishing yesterday, and I stayed around the house, doing this and that...not a productive day. I did read a lot though.

Carolyn, glad you are enjoying the Live workouts. It's is so much different than a DVD, and you can't beat the variety.

Valerie, like Carolyn, I went to full fat dairy for cottage cheese, Greek yogurt etc. I really like them better, and did not see much difference in weight etc. Probably because I don't eat that much of them anyway. I like cheese a lot...maybe too much, so I limit that. Thanks for the reminder on roasting veggies.

Diane Sue, I was thinking of the way the workouts are set up in Super Sets....Cathe has them in Group A and Group B. I hope you are able to get some relief from allergies soon. Do the allergens in your area subside when it gets cooler? I have something for Gertie.....can you PM your address to me?

It's my brother's birthday today, may go visit him...otherwise just HouseMax for me.

Take care,

Good moring ladies!

Just popping in to say Hi! Yesterday was all about preparation. My apple watch recorded over 16,000 steps. That was my workout! Everyone arrives today so doubtfull I'll get a workout in. I brought my bands just in case I had time to fit something in though. Tonight we are having a Luau. I have planned it outside so keeping fingers crossed that the weather behaves. Poured yesterday evening :(.

I'll come back when I can to read posts. Have a great day all!

Deb, it really depends on how our winter is how soon things get better. I prefer milder winters though. But the hard ones really do help. I just read on Live Strong that if you have grass allergies you should not take wheat grass supplements. I use a greens powder every morning. I think most of them have wheat grass. Now I am wondering if I stop for a bit if it will help. I am sort of doubtful though because I have used it for years and when I take it I generally feel better. I may try though. Usually I use Amazing Grass. This last time I bought something else and I do not like it at all. I hope you have a good day today.

Lorie, that is a lot of steps. IThe luau sounds wonderful.

No workout unless I find time for SB stretch. Family is at my daughter's house with the pool this afternoon, one last chance for swimming before they close the pool. The view is beautiful from the pool and so relaxing.

I don't go crazy lowering fat anymore but I'll take the skipped calories I get with reduced fat dairy. it tastes the same or better to me anyway. No margarine here, butter only! no bottled salad dressings. wow, I hate bottled dressing. there's something in it I can taste and smell from a mile off.
Lori 16,000 steps should cover it for the day.... how many miles does that translate into?

I did Xtrain ch, ba, sh and core 1 yesterday. today will be a metabolic workout.

Yesterday we did a little appliance shopping for our new house. mainly deciding on what features and brand preference, not specific models. mostly looking at ranges. we will go over in about 6 weeks and do most of the selections, trying to pre-think a lot of this so it isn't all last minute.

summer is definitely over here, it's been pretty cool. time to get out the soup pot...a definite sign of fall.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live PHA Training (52 min.). This is the one where on the first round she forgets to do two of the exercises, so she adds a complete round at the end. I like this one better than PHAT, where you have the step.

Deb, the problem for me with baking soda is that I wouldn't be able to get it down. I'm glad that worked for you. What are you reading these days?

Lori, that is a lot of steps! I hope the luau is a success. I also hope hurricane Matthew stays off the coast and it has no effect on your convention and travel.

Carolyn, I like the live workouts a lot--as you can see. I feel like I'm in pretty good shape with these more ordinary bodies and exercise levels, and I like Cathe's rapport with her gym crowd.

Valerie, yes, tomorrow I am making a butternut squash soup. I haven't worn sandals either in about a week, so it feels like fall. What fun to plan everything for your new house!

I bit the bullet and dropped off a big bag of clothes at Goodwill today. They have a pickup on Sundays in the library parking lot.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

Hi Ladies,
I needed to work on flexibility today and I did the Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga. There are four 20 minute yoga workouts on the dvd and I did the neck and shoulder flow and the hips and knees. It's a nice easy yoga workout. I am trying to give my shoulders a lot of attention with stretching since I seem to be prone to strains and other shoulder issues.

Lori, I hope the weather cooperates for your luau after all the work that you put into planning.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone.

Valerie, until this last year I was okay with bottled dressings. Once I started making my own I just cannot eat them. I have several bottles in my refrigerator that family has bought for dinners. I tried some Hidden Valley Ranch recently because I was out of my homemade mayonnaise ingredients and good light oils for dressing. I could not finish the salad. Bottled and canned sauces never taste anything like a homemade from scratch sauce either. I was really disappointed in my pumpkin pasta sauce and I should have know better. I did make some taste better by mixing in some full fat coconut milk, garlic, salt and pepper and stirring it into leftover spaghetti squash and roasted broccoli, mushrooms, onions and red peppers that I had made. This was good that way. I hate to throw it out. It must be fun shopping for the items to furnish your new house.

Lynda, I did not mind Cathe's mess ups on the workouts. It was funny how she just goes back and fits it in. That is a good workout. I am looking forward to the new dvds with some PHA work.

Carolyn, I have to work on my shoulders and neck a lot. I think I slept too much on one side last night. I have been trying to stretch it out all day. I should probably go upstairs and do a stretch or yoga. I have a couple of youtube yoga workouts that I like for that area. Sarah Beth Yoga has a couple of good neck and shoulder stretch/yoga workouts. I do like the upper stretch on Barre Amped Upper stretch but it is not long enough.

Deb, I am sure Gertie will love whatever you send. Thank You :D

Tomorrow is workout B of my rotation which will be done twice this week. It is more upper than workout A which is mainly back and the hamstrings and glutes . I like the Brook Benton kettlebell workouts like I did yesterday, but I really hate when she says " more cardio less lardio" . It grates on my nerves. I want to stop and run.

I did Ice Bootcamp today for the first time. so-so. I don't like using a step and end up running in place instead of the weird step moves. just can't do those, even the simple ones. mostly it was OK. did the core part too and that was fine. Liked TBM a lot better.

Diane sue bottled stuff never tastes right to me but I have a special dislike for salad dressings. I have made my own for the last 20+ years. there is an ingredient in there that does not go down for me. I shake up some olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and mustard. it takes 2 minutes and is so much better.

Deb,instead of baking soda, did you try some liquid antacid or some tablet antacid similar to Tums?

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Phat 2. It felt good to do some exercise again.

Lori, hope the weather cooperated for your luau. :). Wow 16,000 steps is pretty impressive!

Diane Sue, there may be something in that wheat grass theory...maybe stop if for a week or 2 and see if it helps?

Valerie, appliance shopping for the new house sounds like fun...will you get the same things you have in your current house? I have tried all kinds of antacids...Tums, Mylanta, etc. they give short relief....sometimes none at all. :(. Looking for a good homemade dressing recipe that uses avocado..

Lynda, I like both Phat workouts...yes, in the longer one Cathe messes up the plan. LOL. Really looking forward to see what she puts on in this format on DVD. Right now I am reading the current Linda Howard book "Troublemaker". No sandals for me anymore either...still like my flats with no socks...I hate socks...try to go as far into autumn without wearing any.

Carolyn, Jessica Smith has a nice variety of workouts, I should check out the yoga one you mentioned...I think I could do yoga for 20 minutes, not much longer though.

A workout maybe, we'll see how it goes...

Take care,

Deb hope you can get a workout in, or even half of one. this is when the time saver pre mixes are nice. I love socks! I have some wool blend ones from Costco that are colorful.

link to avocado dressings at Eating Well. I use this site a lot and get the magazine. I've made one avocado dressing that went with the tofu hash recipe that is probably in the list. it was avocado, cilantro, olive oil and was good on the tofu dish. http://www.eatingwell.com/search/apachesolr_search/avocado dressing I will be trying one of these in the next day or two since I have a slightly squishy avocado to use.
ETA I have not tried these unless...... they include the one from the tofu hash. I use a lot of their recipes and have had pretty good luck at this site.

I have an eye appt and a cardiology appt today, plus Costco shopping. busy day. just routine check in things. I wear contacts and I can't do close work with them in anymore. so I take them in and out often and don't usually wear them at home. so will see if there are bifocal lenses that work OK. I won't wear glasses. I have a pair I've had for 20 years and haven't worn them more than a few minutes.

I am not getting the same appliances. will get French door frig, range will probably be a slide in. I haven't had the oven and cooktop together in one unit for a long time. sticking with top loader washer, Bosch Dw. going with stainless. current house is some stainless,some white but moving toward stainless as we replace.

Last edited:
Good Morning,
Today I did Low Impact Circuit cardio only premix. I used it as a substitution for Cardio Kicks in the October rotation. I love the choreography in that workout, but I only use a 4 inch step without risers. I never go higher for step workouts anymore.

Deb, Jessica Smith does have a variety of workouts. After looking at her workouts online I decided to give her a try. I have quite a few yoga DVDs but some are too long and slow for me

Valerie, I make a similar salad dressing to the one that you described. I also use a dry mix to make up Italian dressing that I like. We have bottled dressing around but I don't really care for it anymore.

I plan to get a flu shot this afternoon, something I forgot to do last year. Hello to everyone.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Gloved up and ready (50 min.). Really like this one for cardio.

Deb, that's great that you felt well enough to do a workout! I hope you can do one again today. Never heard of that author. I will check her out at Amazon.

Valerie, I wear contacts with reading glasses most of the time. Otherwise, very strong glasses with bifocals. I am very nearsighted. We have all stainless steel--Thermidor with 6 burners, LG French door, bottom freezer fridge, and Bosch dw.

Carolyn for some reason I can't remember cardio kicks--is that a step wo with the LIS? I usually do 6 inches on step, but 4" probably gives you as good a wo.

Diane Sue, I don't mind Cathe's mess ups either. What I sometimes don't like is when the camera goes to this one blonde who always seems to mess up. Maybe she gets nervous with the camera on her.

Today was workout B which I altered a bit. I did not want to do pull ups because last week it made my shoulder hurt. I subbed wide double arm rows. Workout was Ice Total Body Metabolic premix blizzard blast, 23 minutes,163 calories. This plan is supposed to have metabolic workouts added in and some foam rolling. I thought maybe the blizzard blasts would be good for this. Amy Bento Slo Mo Challenge 2 with the addition of the rows at the beginning and the skull crushers from biceps and triceps. Weight work was 81 minutes, 392 calories. I finished off with Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped Power Stretch. Total calories today was 606.
Workout B
W/up, then paused to add 3 sets of 8 reps double arm wide rows
wobble hack squats (heels elevated on edge of risers) 8 reps 17.5's 3 sets
1 arm pull over on stability ball 15# 8 reps 3 sets the count changes on the 3rd set
cradle side lunge 40# barbell 8 reps 4/4 count first 4 reps then the 4/ 2 hold 2 2 sets right and left
seated row Amy uses a barbell with a green band wrapped around one end of it so you really have to stretch the length of the bar and your legs 2 sets 8 reps with the pause hold she does in the other exercises I did it this way today. Last week I tried wrapping around my fet and grasping closer with tubing. I flipped off and smacked me in the lip. So, I decided not to d o it again.
single leg rock up squats with a stability ball and 15# dumbbell 3 sets 8 reps some with the pause hold
standing reverse fly with external rotation 8's 8 reps 3 sets
chest around the world 8# pair start on hip face down rotate out to sides as in a fly and bring up overhead as in a pull over and back to start, 3 sets
standing concentration curl 40 # barbell 3 sets 8 reps I would call this a contraction concentration curl
decline triceps dips 3 sets bodyweight stop here and go to
chapters menu triceps scull crusher (French press) on an incline step 20# 8 reps
Core -standing circle 8# , standing clamshell 8#, standing relay 8's, seated sit and levitation tucks, run around step and down to forearms and back up right and left, barbell rollout 40# 2 sets, plank jump in
stretch

Lynda, sometimes when someone messes up on the workouts it causes me to falter. It could be that she gets nervous in front of the camers.

Deb, I looked at the greens, Vibrant Health formula, that I bought and it does not have wheat grass. It has barley and oat grass though. It probiotics and enzymes. The only place I saw the wheat grass mentioned was Live Strong. Also Spirulina which I have been taking on the side is supposed to help allergies. Although in powder form it gets sort of gummy when it gets wet. I have to work to mix it in with the other greens. I did no take the greens this morning. I am going to look further.

Valerie, I like stainless. All of my kitchen appliances, even down to counter top stuff is stainless or stainless look. I have to check the recipe out. I was just looking at an avocado dressing in my Paleo cooking magazine.

Carolyn, I told my husband that we need to get flu shots. They are really encouraging it this year. Generally I wait a bit so it will be effective into February but it sounds like it may be coming along sooner.

Well I have moved and it is a very pretty town. Today I did MMA boxing and my lower body. Our place here is bigger than my condo in Staten Island. It is still a big adjustment, but I am starting to like it very mu ch

O

U

I:

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Crush It Low Impact. A great little cardio workout.

Valerie, thanks for the link to those recipes. I book marked it so I can go back and take a good look. Hope your eye/cardiac appointments went well. I got a great slide in gas range recently...I really like it...It comes in stainless, (which I probably should have gotten)....do you want electric or gas? This is the one :
http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KSGG700ESS]-408407/KSGG700ESS/

Carolyn, great workout substitution. I never heard of that Cathe workout either...

Lynda, that author is strictly for fast reads, the are suspense/romance types. Nothing too thought producing...LOL. I got this one because the lead character has a dog...(of course!)... I think I have Cardio Kicks...but not that one that Carolyn used to sub for it. I think its funny how all the woman in the Live videos seem to be in the same spots...I wonder if they are kind of reserved for them....or if you have to be on some kind of list to get a spot for the Live workouts?

Diane Sue, maybe just skip the greens all together for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference? No flu shot for me.

Caitlin, glad the move went well and you are starting to like your new town. It has to be a big difference from where you were living .

A workout, then processing dog's food...not a very exciting a day...

Take care,

Last edited:
Deb, I have searched and stuff says the green grasses in the superfood powders help allergies. I do not recall the allergies being better when I did not take the greens. I have read Linda Howards books before. My daughter in law and I used to join book clubs and share books. Sometimes it is nice to read for entertainment rather than deep serious stuff. I have Cardio Kicks. I think that it is on a dvd with Maximum Intensity Cardio and Rhythmic step. I have all of Cathe's but one Ice and the Abs combo dvd compilation she did. There may be one really old workout of hers that I don't h a ve. I do have the classics dvd.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good Morning,
Today I did Jessica Smith's 40 Minute Megaburn Walk. It was a good cardio workout without being too taxing. I can see how one might choose to add ankle weights to increase the difficulty.

Deb and Diane Sue, I read Linda Howard books also for the same reason--escapism. I haven't read her newest book but I plan to give it a look. After a period of light reading my brain craves something more substantive and that is where I am now. I have a CEU course that I need to work on.

I have most of Cathe's DVDs except the older ones like Circuit Max and Cardio Kicks. I never purchased the compilation workouts or the Classics dvd.

Have a great day everyone.

I just checked my Cathe dvds and Cardio Kicks is on the disc with Circuit Max. I always liked Circuit Max the warm up took way too much room. I think both required some space. The other dvd I mentioned has the first I Max on it. I have not looked at these for a long time. I think I have used the original Body Max the most on my older dvds. I like stringing the lower body power circuits from both Body Max workouts togeher

Deb, I am making the tofu hash for dinner tonight. that had the avocado "crema" on top. thicker than a dressing but very tasty on the tofu dish. I read reviews on EW if they have them. it's funny how people cook. they will say "I really didn't like this" or "we loved this" and then proceed to list 15 changes they've made to the recipe so it's nothing like the original. I'm not a fan of creamy dressings on green salads but might use them on other things, like a dollop on top of a tostado.

we will talk to the cabinet person about ranges, but electric slide in most likely. we could do a wall oven under a separate electric cooktop, but either way has pluses and minuses. I wanted to look at the ranges, but stores carry very few slide ins to look at. I want to stay away from ranges with the high panel on the back , want controls on the front panel. I don't care about convection and don't want downdraft venting. a wall oven and separate cooktop avoids the cut out in the counter top/cabinets where a "slide in" ...slides into. there is usually a gap between counter top edge and side of range. they used to have a lip on the range to cover the gap but most don't have it anymore.most companies have 1 model, if they have any.
All appts went well. going back to optometrist for a trial on bifocal contacts. compare it to contacts with reader glasses. My distance correction has decreased a lot but for close work to be comfortable, I remove my lenses. it's inconvenient to take contacts in and out 4x a day and can't be done everywhere. (Lynda, you must understand this ). we have "readers" everywhere, and so annoying because I can see pretty well without glasses these days ..... the single benefit I have noticed from getting old! DH doesn't wear glasses, but his close vision is toast so I carry readers anyway.

Yesterday ended up a no workout day. two doctors appts and shopping at 5 different stores. I was on the move all day. no workout, but active enough. we were out of food! next up is the flu shot, next trip to Costco.

Welcome back Caitlin. must be nice to have things out of a box and settling into a new home.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.