Pentagenarians & beyond: W/B 10/14

Debbie, maybe some meriva curcumin supplement would help. The Thorne brand has been helpful for me so I don't have to use so much ibuprofen. Advil just upsets my stomach and does something to diminish my hearing. It is hardly worth it. When my hip was hurting really bad, I took the meriva curcumin and would use some ice packs and it helped tremendously. I am sorry that the PT does not seem to be helping much. It has been cold here, so some hot beverage is fine before bed. I know what you mean though, I have been drinking kombucha tea and iced coffees a lot, up till now. So weird that we were in the 80's and suddenly nights are upper 30's.

Carolyn, I rarely even notice Slow and Heavy. It really is a good workout series. They are such long workouts though, so if I want to get in some cardio with them I need to break them down into one body part a day or do an extra long workout day like I used to do.

we did a hike today about 5 1/2 hours but not too difficult or big mileage. about 6 miles RT. some climbing up but overall fairly flat. saw pronghorn, elk, bighorns and loads of grizzly bear tracks, and wolf tracks . tracks were really clear but probably several days old because they were pressed into mud and a little left over snow and it has been dry since sunday. does not feel stressful unless they're fresh. the park is much much less busy now. all campgrounds are closed except one that's open all year.

I did not feel good yesterday so we didn't do anything but play around here. somewhat better today. the altitude gets to me with headache and sleep problems more sometimes than others.

I have gliding disks, use them, but cautiously especially sliding sideways left /right. It doesn't take much over reach to pull something more than it wants to be pulled. the inner thigh muscles seem prone to that. If I do that sideways leg move regularly, like in the kick boxing then I don't worry, but the disks have "gotten" me there more than once..
Slow and heavy is a series I didn't buy. I should have. I bought a bunch of things using the high step and never liked them and hardly used them.

wow 34!. that is a long time. we are getting up on 40 yrs.

Valerie, it is probably nice having the park not so busy. I used to really love the leg press moves and workouts with the high step. I still don't mind them so much, but I don't stack it as high as I used to do. It is mainly my knees I have to be careful of with the gliding discs. Today with the tubing I kind of had the same problem. Kelly had feet on it with the handles crossed and walked side to side. I chose heavier tubing as I was not really feeling it in my thighs enough and I started noticing it in my knees so I had to shorten up the width of the steps. I think that a firewalker loop type band would work better.

Good morning,

Only PT exercises yesterday.

Judy, 3 weeks sounds god for that rotation. The timing works well with you traveling for Thanksgiving.

Valerie, we keel the thermostat on 68 downstairs, and 66 upstais. I still wear a sweatshirt jacket around the house in the winter. I can see how how would need to adjust to the elevation each time you go there. There is such a big difference between there and Seattle,

Carolyn, the Slow & Heavy series is one of my favorites. It takes a lot of patience to get through those workouts, especially after doing the recent Cathe workouts that are at such a faster pace.

Diane Sue, not sure if the PT exercises are helping. It seems so during the day, then at night my leg hurts a lot when in bed. If I didn't take ibuprofen I would not be able to sleep. I hope the roof is done before the weekend. :) Will look into that curcumin supplement.

Hi to Lori

Take care,

Deb have you ever tried a longer acting non steroidal anti-infammatory medication? I think with your history of reflux it might not be the first thing to try, but if Advil goes down OK maybe a possibility? Ask your doc. there are many different ones, longer acting than Advil . usually you take once a day and longer anti-inflammatory effects than you do with Advil. You cannot take Advil at the same time though. this sure is dragging out without much improvement. Adil works like a miracle for me. Advil PM ( has Benadryl added) at night if I can't sleep. Have you tried sleeping in a different position by putting a pillow between your knees or under them to mechanically change up the hip/leg angle a little? I remember seeing a special shaped foam pillow advertised but I don't remember if it was for bursitis or back pain or something else. I will take a look around.

just google "knee pillows. I never used one so didn't want to put in a specific link. ads from every store. more styles than you can imagine! there are a lot of choices but most in the $20-30 range. so not huge investment. depends on what position you normally sleep in. they talk about knee and back pain. maybe your PT might have a suggestion?

I like it cooler than you , especially at night. we have a propane fireplace that keeps the main room in 60's while bedrooms are cooler. we haven't used the main furnace. leave it set at 53 when not here. that leaves a time cushion in case of a problem. we have a service person who will come out here if needed. its expensive, so prefer not to do it. we winterize when we leave. don't want things freezing inside. it gets cold here in winter. we drain pipes, antifreeze toilets, but refrigerator could go nuts and who knows what could happen to glass bottles etc if it got below 32.

Last edited:
This morning I did a short walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I needed cardio but didn’t have much time this morning. I am really sore today from Slow and Heavy Chest and Back that I did yesterday. The change in tempo for the reps makes a big difference.

Deb, Valerie’s suggestion about the pillow is a good one. I used a small pillow for positioning with my shoulder pain during the night and I still use it to get a good position for my knee. I had forgotten about how much that helps. Just a small change makes a difference. I didn’t buy a special pillow, but I looked at them. The contoured pillows are probably easier to get right, but I use a small throw pillow from the bed.

Diane Sue, I have to be careful when I do lateral movements with the discs or the bands. It’s easy to go too far with the discs. The Slow and Heavy workouts are long, which can be a drawback.

Valerie, I agree about left/right movements on the discs. I don’t do those anymore. I use the high step for leg presses, but I never go as high as Cathe did in her older workouts.

Hello to Lori and Judy.

Thanks for backing me up on the pillow advice, Carolyn. the contour pillows have been sold forever so many must find them useful. every PT session must cost $100 so a pillow is a reasonable experiment to see if it helps.
Carolyn Sorry to hear you are so sore, but doing something "different" sure can get your attention.

I did chiseled upper body the 33 min premix. I have 5, 8, and 10 lbs, bands, and a tube here so will stick to ICE or High Reps, whatever workouts I can do.
weather is gorgeous here. wish we'd brought the bikes. too cold in the morning but it warms up nicely in the afternoon. we want to hike tomorrow so I didn't want cardio.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies,

I did not workout Monday morning...wanted to sleep in a bit. Chelsie and I did a Double Time workout in the evening. Was only 23 mins but was fun. Tuesday I did a LEKfit bounce interval workout plus I added in extra upper body. This morning was the new Raw workout, Boxing and Tubing. I loved it. I used 5lbs instead of the 3lbs she used and I felt this workout. Tonight was Double Time with Chelsie for another 30 mins.

I stopped doing the SB challenge. I am annoyed with all that is going on with her site. It really bugs me when people start asking when newer workouts will be coming and how things are coming along with Suzanne’s recovery and then the admin for the site shuts off the posts saying this has already been discussed, etc...and does not allow anyone to comment further. That just bugs the heck out of me.

Happy Belated Anniversary Deb!! How has your hip been feeling? Do you feel PT is helping. Hoping yes.

Judy...that is why I signed up with Kelly was due to the price. You get a lot for 6.99. Hoping it continues to stay at this price point as I am enjoying them. Same here...happy with my apple watch so no need to upgrade just yet! Let me know if Chris does get the 4 and how he likes it. RWH and Xtrain sounds like an amazing rotation!

Carolyn...due to my work schedule I always try and get longer workouts in on both Saturday and Sundays. Lately, Monday’s have been becoming my rest day. Hard to get going Monday mornings. I used to use a polar watch and chest strap but would always forget to put it on. I like the convenience of my apple watch.

Diane Sue...funny you should mention Fit Split. Was thinking since I stopped SB that perhaps I will do the rotation I did when the series first come out. I remember liking it. Sounds like your roof has been fixed. That is great! We are havings some leaks in our patio. Hate to spend the money but it needs to be taking care off. I used Cathe’s med strenth blue tubing for the raw workout and that was fine for me, but I also had 2.5lb ankle weights on. Never thought to use a fire loop. Good thinking.

Valerie...I love sleeping in the cold. We still have the window open at night in the bedroom. Love the cold at night. When I wake though the window is closed and the heat goes up a bit. That was a long drive on Monday! I bet it is better to just bite the bullet and get there. How long are are your guest staying? Sounds like with your weight choices you will be able to get some good workouts in.

Have a great night all!

This morning I did Crossfire 58 minutes, average heart rate 128, max 156, 4,234 steps, 370 calories, met 6.1. I really expected a higher heart rate with this workout. It never ceases to amaze me as to which workouts get the heart rate up there. I then did the bonus core from Crossfire, 9 minutes, 40 calories, met 4.0 heart rate average 105, max 133, 155 steps. Total time 67 minutes, 410 calories. I may do a stretch workout after I get myself put together. I would like to do the Raw stretch that I like so much.
The roofers came and finished the roof. As soon as they left I got out to the grocery store. I really needed some things. When I got back I cleaned the carpet in the sun room. I sprayed lysol cleaner all over it before I went to the store to kill anything that might bring mold. It was wet under the plastic that I had put under the buckets.

Deb, I keep our thermostat lower upstairs than the one downstairs too. I program it to go way down to 65 at bedtime since I know I won't be up there then. Downstairs I always keep at 68 unless my husband decides we really need it warmer. I think things hurt more at night because they have been used during the day quite a bit and then suddenly you are not moving it. Sometimes even on days where I have done little, like on my days off, I will suddenly get woke up hurting. My right hip will do that occasionally as does my knee. I hope you can figure out a way to get some relief.

Valerie, I forgot about the pillow idea. I did that for awhile to take the pressure off my low back and hip. My doctor gave me something called Meloxicam that is a once day to try to stop using so much Advil for my neck pain. Unfortunately it does not work. I take it and then I am forced to deal with the pain a whole day because I cannot take something else with it. I will say that Advil does not always work with the neck either. I refuse to take anything stronger though. It might work for Deb though. You have a well planned set up for things when you are gone. I have went through an assortment of pillows for my neck issues. Like Carolyn, I used a sofa pillow under my legs or another bed pillow.

Carolyn, a change in type of training can sure lead to some new soreness. Maybe a soak in some epsom salts and stretching. I used to go with at least 5 risers high for those leg presses. I think because when I did the Firm workouts I had been used to a step/toolbox combo that my husband had, and I used for those types of moves. Finding step boxes early on was not easy. Even my first step was one my husband made me from wood.

Lori, I liked Kelly's boxing and tubing workout too. I had kind of thought about ankle weights as well. They would have to be lighter like you used though while doing the boxing stuff. My shoulders and neck have been sore so I was afraid to push the weights heavier than the 3# with the boxing moves since I did not know how fast she was going to be doing the moves. Her new cardio with the weight vest will be out next week. I am curious how much hers weighs. It is more like the Cathe one for this workout. It seems I remember her saying 10#, but I couldn't find it on her facebook page. Hoping the sunroom does well. We are expecting rain again over the next two days. It cost us 1,365 dollars for the work. He said he sealed it up well after putting up the metal diverter and guttering. They cut something from metal for the corner. It is hard to find people that work on sunrooms and a good many places seem to only want to build the patio rooms, sun rooms etc.. This place builds them and does repairs. It took a month for them to get to it though.

Hi Everyone,

Monday I did KCM's older workout, NYC. Tuesday I did Yin Yoga and yesterday I did a 3 mile walk and Build & Burn Lower Body Tabata and Upper Body Super Sets.

Deb-we usually keep the thermostat around 68-70. It's gotten cold here very quickly this past week. I wear sweatshirts a lot too. I agree about trying a contour pillow for your hip. I have one and I think I need to start using it again. My right hip has been bothering me for the past few days.

Carolyn-It's been a while since I've tried the Slow & Heavy workouts. The tempo change really makes a difference. I don't use the discs much at all anymore. The lateral moves with those seem to aggravate my low back.

Valerie-Thanks for mentioning using the contour pillows. I'm going to start using mine again. I would like to keep our thermostat lower than we do but Chris prefers it a little higher. I'll keep it at 68 during the day then he usually turns it up to 70 when he gets home from work.

Diane Sue-I really like that Raw Stretch. I want to do the Raw boxing and tubing workout this week. I'm looking forward to trying the cardio with weight vest workout when it comes out too. The sunroom sounds nice.

Lori-I don't blame you for being unhappy with the SB site. I would be too. I bet she has a lot of unhappy customers now. I hope Kelly keeps her price at $6.99 too. That is such a good price that I don't feel bad if I'm not using the workouts all the time. Chris decided that he didn't want an Apple watch. He's just not a watch person. He has a Garmin that he uses for running but that is the only time he wears one.

Have a great day!

Judy

Good morning,

No news on the PT /Hip front. We will be picking up Ike on Tuesday. :). Tormoorw iswhen all our furniture is moved back in. I can't wait!

Valerie, I do try putting a regular pillow between my knees when I lie on my side, but even that gets uncomfortable after a while. I need to look up what a "contour pillow is to see the difference it might make. I will try something like Advil to see if the longer lasting stuff is better. I have not had problems lately falling asleep, so won't need the PM version. I think you are doing all the right things with closing the MT house when it is cold. I am pretty lucky, the copay on my PT session is $25.

Carolyn great job on Slow & Heavy. :)

Lori, that's too bad about the SB challenge and the problems with her site. Thanks for the anniversary wishes. Hip is slightly better, but I am not sure if the PT is doing it, or just time.

Diane Sue, that's great that the roof was fixed, and from the sound of it, it looks like they did a very thorough job. I remember the Firm Step Up Box. I still have it. It is a 14 inch high stool, and I now use it to sit on when putting on my workout shoes. LOL. Way too high to use for step ups for me now.

Judy, will look for that pilow. I hope your hip is not bursitis! I hear you on the streaming. When my workout area is back to normal ( all my computer stuff and Kylee's crate is taking up all the space, I want to get back to using Cathe' Live workouts.

Take care

Today I did Slow and Heavy Legs and Shoulders which was 1 hour 15 minutes and 223 calories burned. My average heart rate was 99 and maximum heart rate was 145.

I have decided to plan two meatless meals each week. I do it occasionally, but haven’t actually planned vegetarian meals on a regular basis in a long time. I pulled out my vegetarian cookbooks to review and remind myself of dishes that we like. As I looked through The Moosewood cookbook I realized that many recipes that I see today in magazines and newsletters are similar to that style. I really want to increase my daily vegetable intake.

Deb, I know you will be happy to have your house put back together. It’s hard for me to function when things are in disarray. When you look up the contour pillows you should look for the ones for knees and hips since there are so many available. I actually ordered one for myself this morning since it’s something I have been planning to do.

Diane Sue, nice job with Crossfire and the Raw stretch. I like Crossfire. That’s wonderful that the roofers were able to finish the job.

Judy, NYC is one of Kelly’s workouts that I don’t have.

Lori, I hope that Suzanne gets things together on her site. When I canceled my subscription my access to the site was immediately gone, even though I had a month left. It was a bit annoying.

Hello to Valerie.

This morning I did Fit Split Low Impact timesaver cardio only 27 minutes, 119 average 149, met 5.8, 173 calories 1,966 steps. I then did Kelly Coffey Sculpting RX workout #1, 44 minutes with the warm up(you can do it without the warm up) heart rate average 108, max 144, 859 steps, met 4.5, 218 calories. Total time was 71 minutes, 391 calories. I went up in the weights on most again. This is the fourth time through this since I have done it once each week. I will move on to something else for heavy weights.

Sculpting RX 10 reps all exercises done in supersets each superset done two times
Hammer curls 20## dbs, 20# dbs
weights on shoulders squat out and hold then second set pulses 25#dbs, 20# dbs

front curls 15# dbs, 20 # dbs
front lunge on step back knee pull 20#dbs, 20# dbs

alternating supination curl 20# dbs 20# dbs second set double arm curl
squat fold and up 20# dbs 25# dbs

row on step underhand 1 arm 30# db, 30# db
front raise 1 db 15# 15#

bent over row overhand 30# dbs, 25# dbs
lateral raise 10# dbs, 10#dbs

row from feet seated 15# dbs, 16.5# dbs(wore 1.5# gloves with 10# dbs
overhead press seated 1 & 1/2 10# dbs, 11.5# dbs

flys pinky in 15# dbs , 16.5# dbs
skull crusher 15# dbs, 16.5# dbs

bench press 16.5# dbs, 16.5# dbs
seated kickbacks 16# dbs, 15# dbs

push ups
dips with pulses

I have my grandson 7 years for two days as it is fall break so we have been playing with exercise equipment and went to Sprouts and I got extra things I don't need LOL At least he chose some kiwi to go with it. Right now I have him doing his 20 minutes of reading and we are going to play monopoly.

Judy, I was looking at my work sheets and contemplating doing Build and burn weights and Fit Split weights for a bit. I have really used the Sculpting RX workouts adding to the Raw stuff. I will incorporate with the Raw workouts. Nice work. I kind of feel that even 10.00 a month is not bad if I use the streaming a lot as I would spend that to rent a couple of one time watch movies.

Debbie, I bet you are excited about picking up Ike and it will be nice having your furniture moved back in. I think if I would have went ahead with PT when I had the knee surgery that my Co Pay was 15 dollars a session and 3 days a week. I just did not feel I wanted to do it and the doctor said I was doing the right things. I managed to work through it myself. I just did not want to have to go out to what would have ended up being someone's home for PT as that is what I found on the internet for that smaller city.

Carolyn, I have days where I just use protein powder and bars and have something like eggs over sweet potato spiralized and cooked in some butter or coconut oil. I am incorporating more fish as well. I love beef though.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was LEKfit’s new bounce from yesterday. Wow my legs are so sore. The sculpting section was pretty intense. She does a live Instagram chat every Thursday afternoon and so many have said they were sore. Speaking of value with streaming she consistently puts out 2 workouts every week. She also has started a JetSet inventory for shorter workouts to travel with that uses no equipment. If you remember it took me a bit to warm up to her style. I now love her workouts. Today’s Live workout looks great.

Diane Sue...great your roof is fixed. And smart with the lysol! Yes...Kelly’s streaming is worth an increase if she does. She was pretty smart...getting us all hooked in with a lower price! I loved the FitSplit weight workouts.

Carolyn...I know exactly how you felt with the soreness. Diane Sue is right...just changing things a bit and bam..you are using your muscles in a different way. That is so wrong that you were cut off a month sooner. I have been patient but there are so many other sites out there. I am enjoying Body Barre and Linda Woolridge. Both have a huge inventory of free workouts on youtube.

Judy...thanks for the link for the pillow. I use a standard pillow but this looks great. Nice workouts! You will like the Boxing and Tubing.

Deb...yeah I bet you can’t wait until tomorrow! It will be great to be all put back together again! So exciting with Ike. I am so happy for you and John. Can’t wait for the puppy pictures!

Hi to Valerie!

Lori, that is great that you are really enjoying the Lekfit workouts. I was wondering if maybe there is something terribly wrong with SB or of maybe she is depressed and they don't want a lot of negativity? I know it is probably not wonderful for those who have paid in advance for her streaming service. Hopefully whatever it is gets better. I agree, Kelly was smart to lower her price and get people to realize her workouts are great. Plus it has given her some time to increase how many workouts she has put out.

Judy that is an interesting pillow. Can you turn and stuff with it under your leg? I am all over the place when I sleep. I was looking at a pillow for the head that has an indentation in the middle. It was around 50 dollars. I just do not think my water pillow is very effective.

Diane Sue...I have wondered the same and hope she makes a wonderful recovery. I do miss her presence on her FB group. I even renewed for a year in September to show my support knowing something is going on. You all know how much I love her workouts. I just do not like the way the admins are handling things. It has fustrated me a bit.

Diane Sue-It's been a while since I used the pillow but if I remember right you can't really turn with it. You would have to re-position if you moved around a lot. I'm going to start using it again tonight.

Reactions: WD
we hiked today about 4 hours. not sure mileage but probably 6-7 RT. just Ok. it was a lovely day, but hike went thru an old burn and I didn't care much for it. but we got a late start and it was close plus there is a lot of hunting going on, and I won't knowingly hike with hunting in the area. too many crazy drunk trigger happy a-holes. yes I have strong opinions about that topic.

I have never tried to sleep with a pillow between my knees. I am way too active a sleeper for that. it would not work. we joke about the "mileage" I do at night. I never needed one either. my hip bursitis was only active when I was walking a distance. Deb the decision is in, go get one and try it out.

diane sue, every NSAID may work differently for each person. because one didn't work, does not mean another one won't. there is an old one I use when I really need relief and it works when newer ones don't. I don't make a habit of taking them because they are all hard on renal function long term. I don't take them except for injuries when its a better choice than taking Advil 4-5x a day.
Carolyn that is brave of you to do another Slow and Heavy while you are already sore.

Good morning,

I amsitting here waiting for the floor guys to get here to move our furniture back into the house. I can't wait to be able ti sit on a couch again!

Carolyn, we used to have The Moosewood Cookbook! That was a very long time ago. Doing 2 meatless dinners a week sounds great. Mine would most likely include some sort of past, so I am not sure how healthy it would be. :). Which contour pillow did you order?

Diane Sue, Fall break already? LOL. I don't think we get that here. It must be nice to have him for a couple of days though. I like this PT plce a lot better than the one I went to for my back years ago. That one just made you do the same exercises you were doing at home at the PT place. I was also going 3 times a week, for $15 each time. I thought that was a rip off and stopped going. I could do the same at home. At this place, the use different treatments eg tha "Tens" machine, and something they call. An Ultra Sound (which is not like the test we are all familiar with.). I got the Collagen powder yesterday and tried it last night. Not too happy with the taste of it. Like you mentioned, it is way too sweet. I am not sure I could drink it every night. I had it in my favorite camomile tea...it completely took over the taste. I find that it is more lavender tasting than anything else. :(.

Judy, thanks for the link for the pillow. Let me know how it is after you start using it again.

Lori, LEK sounds like a great business woman, smart with those chats to keep people interested and involved. What is her name again?

Valerie, regarding the hike,what is an "old burn"? I agree, you don't want to be out anywhere near hunters. I feel the saame about NSAIDS. I try to not take them, and am concerned as I took way too many during the 10months when I had the ruptured disk, before the surgery. At the time, the info about renal and liver damage was not out there, but looking back, I am lucky that I did not get any damage with the amount I was taking each day.

Take care

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.