Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/05/20

the x-train abs #2 was pretty good. no idea why I missed this one, only did #1. the only part I was iffy on were side planks at the end. I am unable to block my feet, never could. best I can do is jam against an immobile surface. I did plain side planks and not the elbow dipping move. I think I can get this with a few more repeats. this is a great ab workout.

Carolyn, I never took a formal spin class at a gym. my only exposure has been cathe. I assumed removing some tension and sitting between songs was standard for spinning. I couldn't stand at first. now I'm fine with it. I never stand riding outdoors. I cant go up and down fast like singles so I do it at a pace I can keep. Standing I get positional fatigue. I can pedal a lot faster seated. I feel its a good workout in either position.

Judy, how do peloton workouts do it? do people stand for much of the workout or go up and down? I would not call riding seated.... "resting", it can be just as hard.

did Cardio supersets. I don't find that one easy at all, especially with all the plank type moves. I know I have to breathe but its hard in that position. so I take breath breaks a few times.

Last edited:
his morning I did a check to see if I could get VHX tv via internet on my television and it did not work. Tried that through the www on my blu ray and that did not work either. So still using the hdmi cable. I went for my arthritis appointment and was happy not to have to do blood work or the eye test thing. I got out of there earlier than expected so stopped at Sprouts and came home and attempted to do my workout. Internet went out in our area right in the middle of my weight work. Fortunately I have the Gentle Yoga from Amazon prime downloaded so I got that in with shoulders and core work.
I started with Coffeyfit Raw 5 day strength day 3 and did the shoulders and finished off the plank core work that I had started on my own when the internet went out. This was 23 minutes, 95 calories, heart rate average 122, max 158, 575 steps. I then did Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga neck and shoulders flow, 20 minutes, 96 calories, 11 steps. Total time 43 minutes, 191 calories, 586 steps. I am not sure why fitbit is giving me so many calories for yoga. It probably averages out for what I am not getting on strength.

Raw 5 Day Strength day 3 shoulders and legs
This has Noelle and Kelly in it. I have done all but the shoulders on this one when it first came out.
Kelly mentions legs squats and weighted bridges and then starts in on shoulders. So, that confused me and I remember that from before because I was thinking I had to find the starting point for legs before. I
Anyway
Shoulders
Kelly uses 12's and 15's Noelle 10's and 12's 5 sets of 10 reps
side lateral raises thumbs down to keep from working the traps Kelly used 12's
I used 12's for 4 sets and dropped to 10's the last set
Butterfly& press Kelly uses 15# 1 set and drops to 12#
I used 12's 1 set, 10's 2 sets, 8's 2 sets
Core
plank drive knee in hip drop both sides 1 set 10 reps, then just 1 side 10 reps for 4 sets alternating sides

Valerie, I prefer having that countdown timer. That is the reason I hardly have done the Cycle Sweat. I remember liking one of the X train ab workouts more than the other. Nice that you got the bath finished. You are lucky you caught the problem with the flange before it was a big problem. We had that happen in our older home. The bath was upstairs and my son ended up pulling up flooring and putting new underlayment and we put in ceramic tile and a new toilet and I am not sure what else they replaced. I can do those side planks , but when they do a side plank and you are supposed to lift that top leg, one side never wants to lift. My leg feels like it has a weight holding it down.

Carolyn, I will check out Amazon. I remember seeing some high quality nut butter on Amazon that had some delicious sounding flavors. I remember buying some once that was 18.00 for one jar. I don't remember what flavor it was though. That step behind change and off and on the step is still not going real well for me because sometimes I am on the wrong side of the step when I am done. I know Cathe says don't overthink it so I figure as long as my feet are moving I am good. I will get it right eventually.

Judy, it might be a good idea to check with your doctor on the nodules. They do the same thing with the nodule on my thyroid. As long as it does not change I am okay.

The figi ginger almond butter is on amazon for 15$. . I put it on my wish list to remind me to order with my next order. Whole Foods is a trek for me and no guarantee they will have it. They had other products from the same company.

Valerie-most of the Peloton rides have standing, some more than others. They do have rides without standing. They call them "Low Impact". That really doesn't make sense to me as I think of all cycling as low impact. I love XTrain abs 2. I almost always do that one.

Reactions: WD
Today I did Gym Style Legs, premix 2. My time was 54 minutes with 258 calories burned. Average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 165.

Hello to All and have a wonderful day.

we grabbed a weather window this morning and went xc sking for the first time in a long time. last year we either had no snow or too much snow. so far, his year has been a little short on snow, but this morning turned out great. went for just under 3 hours. we have new skis that we got almost 2 yrs ago, but I think we only got to use them once last year. never got good conditions. this morning was very nice. the drive to get there was pretty messy. we use logging roads. we're not good enough skiers to do actual back country skiing. if you stick to roads, its not overly steep. it was quite a workout. this is not lift served skiing, we do the uphill part ourselves. snow was nice and dry and fluffy and untracked. we drive up as high as we can and ski from there. there were a few trees down across the road so the first one we cleared, the second one was kind of big so we parked there and skied past it. I think several body parts will be talking to me tomorrow!

Judy I agree, I think all spinning is low impact. do peloton rides contain long sections of riding in standing position? I'm used to doing it for a few minutes, or popping up and down, but 5 min is about all I can take. I need to sit even if I keep pedaling hard. I have done x train abs #1 almost exclusively. I'll be doing #2 now too,.

Today I did Step Boss I Max 4, 44 minutes, heart rate average 130, max 150, 235 calories, 4,197 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw 5 day Strength day 3 legs that I missed yesterday due to the internet going out. This was 18 minutes, heart rate average 105, max 127, 51 calories, 217 steps. I finished off with Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga hips and knees, 22 minutes, heart rate average 107, max 133, 57 calories, 46 steps.
Total time was 84 minutes, calories 332, 4,460 steps. I have 11,000 steps today. I have been cleaning and catching up laundry all day.

Valerie, I need to put that ginger almond butter in my wish list too. That is great that you got out skiing today. We are supposed to have a quick in and out of snow this weekend. It has been a pretty dry winter so far.

Judy, that is funny they call the seated rides low impact. Maybe for some it would seem like impact on the knees with standing. But, really it is not putting the same impact as jumping would be for knees. I always viewed all rides as low impact.

Carolyn, nice job on Gym Style legs today.

Good morning,

Today I did Live PHA 2020, 44 minutes, 276 calories. This has some of the new moves from the PHA3 DVD, but not any of the really challenging ones. I liked it a lot and will be doing it again.

Valerie, what is the TMS show? Are you still doing WW on line? Good jon on getting your speed up when standing on the bike. It amazes me when people go looking for snow! Great that you got out to use the X-country skis. :)

Judy, good plan for using the new workouts. It has been pretty mild here too, for January. Actually supposed to get up to 50 degrees today. I also have to keep my legs on the floor for the side to side move in the AB Stacker workout. I thought I was the only one! and the boat poses were really hard on my lower back. I think I may skip doing the boat part, or do every other one.

Carolyn, same question, are you still doing WW on line? I never heard of that almond butter, it sounds really good. We have a Whole Foods here, but it is so huge, I was only in there once and left quickly I will have to see if they have that at our co-op, or maybe try it from Amazon. I ended up getting New Balance shoes. I tried the Hokas, which were the ones my PT guy had and liked, actually bought them and wore them for a few days. I didn't like them, returned and got the New Balance. What I did this morning was look at the FitBit screen before stopping the clock, where the calories burned is still showing, and just took the time etc from there before stopping the workout timer.

Diane Sue, John and I have been told we have nodules on a lung. They said nothing to worry about. I also have a nodule around my vocal cord, that I had checked every 3 months for about 9 months, no change so I did not have to go back. That is a completely different stress test than any I have heard of! None of them make you eat, and/or sit in a recliner...LOL.

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Deb I grew up in Wisconsin. familiar with snow! Here, we can go to the snow when we want to. we get snow sometimes down at lower elevation, then it's a mess and hard to deal with. when you can go to snow for the fun part, when you want, and then go home, it's a different experience. I love seeing animal tracks and just sliding along on skis. I like snowshoeing too. but we can drive home and all is green and flowers are blooming so its not the tedious months long "dismalness" that we endured in the Midwest.

TMS is The Morning Show. its a fictitious series on Apple TV with about a show like Today or GMA, dealing with #meetoo issues. I don't know if its a single season or if its going to continue. stars steve carrell, Jennifer aniston, reese witherspoon. other recognizable people too. its entertaining. they are drawing a line between outright abusive sexual predators that belong in prison, and other adults who used poor judgement in who they had sex with. f-bombs are frequent, but it's otherwise more complex . I'm enjoying it. as far as I know, its exclusively on apple TV. we got a free year with purchase of my phone. its the usual subscription thing like Hulu.

I dropped WW last year when we were traveling. I was not losing. I found all the tracking made me think about food more, took too much time. I don't use any prepared foods. everything I made needed to be calculated and entered. it made me aware but I got sick of calculating every thing I cooked.

I need to look at shoes again too. my last ones were Brooks. Never tried Hokas. shoe brands change though, so just because one brand fit great 2 yrs ago does not mean they will be the same now, which is why I hesitate to mail order another pair of my current shoes. . I need to try some on, its been a while.

This morning I did part of Kick Max. I did the kick and punch combos and part of the blast segment. I skipped the leg conditioning drills. My time was 48 minutes with 307 calories burned. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Valerie, that’s great that you were able to get in some cross country skiing. It looks like we were posting at the same time. I think that you might have been overthinking the food logging on WW. You shouldn’t have to enter everything that you cook from scratch. I don’t use prepared foods either, but most items that I eat are in the database and it takes about a minute to log a meal.

Diane Sue, good job with IMAX 4, Raw Strength, and JS Gentle Yoga hips and knees practice.

Deb, nice work with Live PHA 2020. I am not doing WW online only. I attend WW meetings and use the online tools. I have learned that maintaining a weight loss requires the same behaviors as losing weight. I love my WW group. Many are lifetime members like me who are trying to maintain in addition to those trying to lose. We all support each other. You might find Big Spoon Roasters at your Co-Op. it’s at my daughter’s Co-Op, but of course that’s the company’s home location.

Hello to Judy and Lori. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: WD
Hi Everyone,

I decided to add some RWH workouts into my rotation. This morning I did RWH Lift it Hiit it Legs, with bonus abs one. Chris has been coughing and sick for a couple of days. We went to urgent care this afternoon. I was afraid he had the flu but they said he has bronchitis and that 80% of the people coming in have it. I guess it's really bad here this year. They gave him a Z-Pak, a steroid pack, an inhaler and cough medicine.

Deb-Great job with Live PHA2020. I might have to download that one.
It's getting into the 40's and 50's here and we have heavy rain in the forecast. There will be a lot of snow and ice north of us. I had a much easier time with the RWH bonus abs this morning. I think that Cathe's ab workouts in the last few series have been more challenging, at least for me.

Valerie-Peloton has climb rides that have you out of the saddle for up to a few minutes at a time. I haven't seen any classes where they are out of the saddle for longer than that. Most of the regular classes do have out of the saddle sections and I think people may have complained so they started the "low impact" rides.
I wear Hokas (Bondis) for work. They have been great for standing and walking so many hours on that hard floor. For workouts, I have a pair of brooks adrenaline that I got a couple of months ago. I've always liked Brooks and I ran in them for years. New Balance and Asics are good too.

Diane Sue-Great workouts this week! I will definitely talk to the doctor about the nodules. It won't hurt to get checked again.

Carolyn-Great job with KickMax! That's a good one. You do such a great job with the monthly rotations!

Hi to Lori,

Judy

This morning I did Coffeyfit Raw Day 4 Total Body, 33 minutes (28 actual), heart rate average 114, max 149, 114 calories, 711 steps. I also did Day 5 stretch, 36 minutes, 147 calories, 142 steps, heart rate average 118, max 140. I still wonder at the yoga and stretching with my versa watch. Total time was 69 minutes, 261 calories, 780 steps .

Raw 5 day strength Total Body day 4
Kelly uses a 25 and 35 # weight plate all exercises are done for 10 reps There are 3 rounds of all exercises with a rest between rounds
Modified Pull over (25# Kelly) 20 all rounds me
Biceps Curls (25 # Kelly) 20 rnd 1, 25 rnd 2 20 rnd 3 me
Squat/reverse lunge (25# Kelly) 20, 25,25 me
Bench Press (35# Kelly) me 25# all rounds
Dips (35 # Kelly) me 25# all rounds
lunges (35# Kelly) me 31,5 # kbell rnd 1, 30# rnd 2, 2 15# kbells rnd 3
Upright Row (35# Kelly) me 15# all rounds

I kept changing some things. I felt like Sammy was really shrugging up her shoulders holding the weight plate to do the lunges. It looked like a struggle and I did not want my shoulders so much in play.
It is supposed to snow tonight. It went from the 60's to freezing today. I had to pick up my grandson and made a couple of stops at stores. I wanted to pick up my granddaughter some medicine for her aquarium. Poor thing was upset because one of her fish died and the other 2 had spots and ragged fins. She thought she should take her fish to the vet o_O. I told her it would cost way more than just replacing her fish. Although she has them named and everything. I got her to clean her tank as she kept sending me pictures of her fish. So, they were better after cleaning. I am pretty sure they have ick. She is the one who recently lost her dog. I feel so sorry for her.

Deb, I thought that stress test seemed way different than the descriptions that I read about on the internet. Hopefully the rest of the tests are things not to worry too much about. One of the PT's that I went to was wearing Hokas. I looked at them, but have my last 3 pair of shoes have ended up being Reebok. The one I purchased have plenty of toe room and are pretty comfortable. I am pleased because the two of them did not cost me so much.

Valerie, I have found when I get some food program I want to try that I end up obsessing over food and seem to want to eat more. Normally I just grab food when I am hungry. Sometimes I get side tracked till I really have to eat so I don't get a headache.

Carolyn, I get a bit tired of using MFP and having to break down a recipe to enter it since I use recipes or create a dish all of the time. Once in awhile I will put something in and enter homemade and I can find something that I just figure will do.

Judy, nice workout plan. I haven't used Ripped with Hiit in awhile. I had that horrible cough and when I finally went to the doctor it was my allergies that caused the bronchitis. She gave me a cortisone injection. With the mild winter we have had juniper and cedar pollen at high levels.

WW encourages planning ahead. have good food that is low in points handy so when you get hungry you have good choices. I do that. I cook a lot more than most people. everything I made required arduous recipe calculations. I got tired of doing it. just "guessing" seemed wrong. so I spent a lot of time on the computer. I might go back on the formal program again in the future. it makes you aware of personal problem areas. it showed me I cannot lose weight eating what most people can eat. I have to go lower. all the time reading about it and doing food log entries made me think too much about food.

I took yesterday off, first day in close to 2 weeks. I got pretty fatigued from xc skiing. we used to do incredible mileage regularly but a lot of the places we used to go are not available anymore. taken over by snowmobiles, roads washed out with no access. that kind of thing. a lot more people live here now.

my Brooks shoes have been great. I should replace them since after several years of use the cushioning is probably wearing out. I'd like to try them on before buying. I need a wider toebox but its more a design issue. most wide shoes are too wide and I slop around in them. it depends more on where they taper the toe and that can change easily.

Judy I like standing while spinning. like up and down to avoid position fatigue. I can stand thru a typical song, but when 2 songs get linked together I need to sit for a break in between. I'll probably spin today and will re-look at the other 2 cathe disks. I think one has countdown timer and the other didn't. ( asking myself why I didn't write that on the case so Id know) I like pedal power best but I don't want to get tired of it by over using it. we took our mt bikes in for tune ups. had them for a year now and they need adjusting, new brake pads. too wet and cold now to ride.

did the spin from xtrain. 39 minutes. has a countdown timer, and I finally marked the box. I think xtrain and pedal power have them. then did core 1 from xtrain.

Last edited:
I didn’t work out today. I developed a headache yesterday and I was a bit dizzy. I felt better this morning, but didn’t want to work out. This changing weather has been causing small problems for me.

Diane Sue, you are doing a great job of including Kelly’s Raw workouts in your routines. I like using her dvds for variety, but I have never really clicked with her strength training style.

Judy, I sympathize with your husband and the bronchitis. It can make you feel miserable. I hope he is better today.

Valerie, I have a pair of Brooks running shoes now, but I don’t use them for my workouts. I bought them for workouts, but they don’t feel right for me. I like Asics better, but they keep changing them. I just need to go to a store and try on a few styles.

Hello to Deb and Lori.

No workout this morning. My daughter was here doing laundry and I like to hang out and visit. Maybe tomorrow. If not I will do one Monday. It will be another busy week with a couple of days I will have to leave the house in the morning. My husband and I went to Charlestons for late lunch and I got a dynamite shrimp salad. It was delicious and I am sure loaded with calories. Kind of the sweet and spicy Asian type of salad with sesame seeds, cabbage, peanut sauce, dressing etc. . It snowed a bit this morning. I went outside with the grandchildren so they could put their hands in it. It was melting soon after falling. I am relieved it will be gone since I have several excursions out this week.

Valerie, I like the mixture of sitting and standing too. Pedal Power is usually my go to Cathe spin workout. It seems like the only workout without the countdown timer was Cycle Sweat. Maybe I am wrong though. That is why I don't use that one much.

Carolyn, Kelly has a different selection of weight workouts on her Raw Channel. I think I like them better than her dvds. The length of the 5 Day Strength workouts are nice and leave me time for stretching and/or some cardio. That stretch really worked well for me yesterday from the 5 day program. I was not sore at all when I got up this morning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.