Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/05/20

Good afternoon. This morning I did a short yoga session. I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Morning Energy practice. That was 18 minutes and 56 calories burned. I wanted to have a semi rest day today.

Valerie, I had forgotten about the ICE Low Impact Sweat. That is a good one for cardio without the choreography.

Hello to Deb, Diane Sue, Judy, and Lori. Have a great day everyone.

As I was flipping thru the box looking for Rock/Sock, saw LIS and suddenly thought that was the workout I was remembering. I was pressed for time and didn't check to be sure. so funny, I was sure it was Cardio Party and I was totally wrong.
I have to modify Rock/Sock somewhat. I jump up and down, I don't do snow angels or jacks full extent anymore. I always had trouble with those and I don't want to risk a bad landing for the little difference in technique. doing something today, not sure what, want to watch the golden globes 5 pm tonight so need to be done earlier.
we're watching a series called The Morning Show and enjoying it. heavy on the f-bombs. "me too" situation where a male host has been fired, and the ongoing aftermath. Jennifer Anniston, Reese Witherspoon and many other recognizable people. its on Apple TV.

Good afternoon,

We went to my cousin's 60th birthday party last night. It was fun, but I woke up very tired. We have not gone out to something like that ( think wedding!) with dancing etc, for a really long time.

Valerie, thanks for starting the thread today. Does the turkey ( or breast) come in its own bag to use to roast? That sounds great, easy cleanup. Have you started watching the new season of Shameless? I don't remember if you have Showtime or not. Also, trying to remember the name of the series that in time sequence, was before Breaking Bad? I watched it all, wanted to start back if new ones were was available.

Carolyn, I hope your knee is better today. When I was doing PT for my hip and knee, the PT person suggested I get new workout shoes. He said the ones I had looked pretty worn. He also told me that he was getting pains in his legs, after working all day, which had not happened before. He got new athletic shoes and after a couple of days, his legs no longer hurt. It was not too long after I got the shoes that my hip and knee started to feel better. Do you press the side button and hold immediately after the workout is finished? I do that to stop the clock, but then it all disappears and in order to get any date

Hi to Diane Sue, Lori, and Judy,

Take care,

Deb the turkey is in a tight fitting (not obvious) bag inside the big outer wrapper. the one I used.... you cut three slits in the inner bag, put in pan, and roast. its so simple... it feels wrong, but it worked fine. the bag is more obvious after cooking. it had a bit of liquid in the bottom so careful handling it after roasting. I almost spilled it taking the turkey out of the pan.

we have not gotten the last season of Shameless yet. no, we don't have showtime or HBO. we have Netflix, Prime, Hulu and Apple TV. got a years worth with my new phone. Better Call Saul is the lead up to BB . I read a new season was coming out in Feb. did not mention what network. I like it better than I liked Breaking Bad.

Did a 40 min spin premix, then abs#1 from x-train, and 2 sets of 25 knee push ups.

GG's were only OK. Geez... there is more time on commercials than there is on programing.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

My plan this week is to combine XTrain with a few of the Step Boss workouts. I want to do PHA3 and the Ab Stacker bonus, and the intermediate step routine from Step Sync. I'm also doing daily short Peloton rides. Today is my 20th day in a row. I may try to make it to 30 days. It's going to take me a day or two to get back into a normal workout routine after Chris was home for the past two weeks. He goes back to work today. We had a brief snow squall yesterday but no snow on the ground this morning. It's been a very mild winter here so far, but I'm sure we'll get slammed this month and next. This week I work Thursday and Saturday, only 4 hour shifts. It's very slow at HD this time of year and I can see why they cut hours back so much. I'm happy to have the break.

Deb-Thanks for the reminder about shoes. I'm going to order a new pair of Hokas for work.

Valerie-Nice workout! I need to start doing push ups again.

Carolyn-That sounds like a nice rest day. I need to do Yin Yoga this week.

Hi to Diane Sue & Lori!

Have a great day!

Today I did Step Sync combos one and two. The time was 33 minutes with 246 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 160. This one will definitely require some practice! I also did Jessica Smith’s Gentle Yoga, Hips and Knees practice. That was 22 minutes and 33 calories burned.

Someone on another forum mentioned that she had discovered one of my favorite products, Big Spoon Roasters Fiji Ginger Almond Butter. I was surprised to see that, but not surprised that she loved it! Big Spoon Roasters is a small company based in Durham, North Carolina. My daughter introduced me to their almond butter several years ago when it was only available locally and by mail order. In fact, I currently have a monthly subscription that was a birthday present last fall. If you are in a Whole Foods it’s worth trying.

Deb, with the Fitbit I do press the button to stop the clock at the end of my workout. I go to the app on my phone to review the data. I know that worn out shoes can cause knee and hip pain. I really need to look harder for some that I like. What brand did you get?

Judy, nice job with the Peloton rides. Step Boss and X Train will be a nice combo. I am following the Step Boss and Hardcore rotation. It was in the user guide but is also the rotation that Cathe posted for January. I will probably substitute other cardio for some of the step workouts.

Valerie, The Morning Show is supposed to be a good show. I think I would like it, but I’m not interested in getting Apple TV.

Hello to Diane Sue and Lori.

I should look at new shoes. my shoes never look worn out, look brand new, but I've had them for years. DH has the opposite issue, his shoes look 5 yrs old after a month. the cushioning wears out without looking any different. I never see any wear on the soles or heels.

carolyn that sounds like a great product. I will look into it.

Apple TV is a newcomer. we had not looked until TMS show started getting publicity, and then we realized we got a year free with the new phone I got for Christmas. its getting crazy with all the subscription networks. Reese witherspoon, Jennifer aniston are good , plus there are other "name " people ( steve carell, Billy Crudup) in the series. the only criticism is too many f-bombs. not a substitute for well written dialogue. I think they go a little overboard unless this is how it really is in the TV /news business? whatever... it's interesting series looking at aspects of #metoo movement. getting too many TV choices! watched the Globes last night, none of the things I thought should win actually won. for once, I've seen a few of the things nominated. the commercial overload is overwhelming. one after the other, on and on. I got a list of new programs to look for.

When I did the spin yesterday I saw improvement I was able to get my speed up on standing parts and also on seated drills by about 10%. still not fast, but faster! Ive been stuck at 65-68 cadence for standing regardless of tension, and yesterday I got into low 70's sometimes. numbers don't lie, give immediate feedback. seated I was able to stay over 100, even to 105.
Judy thats a long stretch to ride every day. I cant do it that often. I do pushups a few times a week. I do a series of "stretched out" knee pushups 25 at a time. I make them as hard as I can while still on my knees. a long series of knee ones gives me better ROM and I enjoy doing them. I have pretty severe arthritis in my hands and wrists. flat hand position is not pleasant so I hold onto the feet of a weight bench. sometimes I do toe push ups too, but on the knees is no dread factor and I can do a lot of them.

ETA did Stacked upper body late today.

Last edited:
This morning I did Muscle Max (timesaver) for 63 minutes and 297 calories burned. My average heart rate was 115 and maximum heart rate was 158.

Valerie, nice job with the improvement in getting your speed up on the spin bike.

Diane Sue, where are you?

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Carolyn the ginger almond butter is available on amazon, about $15 for a jar. that makes it easier. there are Whole foods here but nothing close. How do you use it?

I've been stuck at the same spot since we got our spin bike. at first I only rode it sitting. I've been able to stand and pedal for a long time now but am limited to how fast my legs go. still not great, but better. mountain biking helps but really wet right now so can't ride outdoors until it dries out.

Yes to echo Carolyn, diane sue where are you?

Valerie, I like the almond butter on a slice of toast or leftover baked sweet potato. Sometimes when I am craving dessert I will have two teaspoons of that almond butter by itself! That satisfies my sweet tooth for some reason. Amazon is a good option but I have never ordered it from them. Big Spoon Roasters also has a chocolate sea salt flavor that is very good.

that was my first thought, on warm toast. or a bagel. haven't had a bagel in years! I'd buy it locally but I'm not optimistic id find it, and its a bit of a drive to get to a whole foods. we might go on a short trip so I will hold off on buying it right away but thanks for mentioning it.

This morning I did Step Boss Step Sync Bonus intermediate workout with the Step Sync warm up and cooldown skipping the ab stacker portion. This was a premix and was 32 minutes, 165 calories, heart rate average 128, max 150, 3,165 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw 5 Day Strength day 2 chest and triceps, 345 minutes, 112 calories, 303 steps. Total time was 67 minutes, 277 calories, 3,468 steps. I went to the pulmonologist this afternoon. He says not to worry over it as it is probably nothing. Those heart ct scans will show nodules on most people's lungs. He asked about my RA medicine and said that RA often causes some nodules on the lungs. I don't smoke and do not have the risk factors to make it a worry as far as cancer. So, I just go back in 6 months for a follow up and CT and then he says if it is the same he will spread the time out for checks just to be sure.

Raw 5 Day strength chest and triceps day 2
uses a bench, 3 sets of weights Kelly uses 10, 15, and 20# everything is done for 5 sets
Warm up push ups
Chest
incline flys 15# dumbbells 10 reps 5 sets
flat bench press Kelly uses 20's 8 reps 5 sets I used 20's 1 set, 2 sets 17.5's, 2 sets 15's
Triceps
Kelly uses a 10# dumbbell throughout
single arm kickbacks palm up knee on bench 5 sets 10# 10 reps
seated 1 arm overhead triceps extension Kelly lowers reps through this 2 sets of 10 reps, 2 sets of 8 reps and drops to 1 1 set 6 reps I did 1 set 10# 10 reps, 1 set 12# 10 reps 3 sets 12# 8 reps
Abs
variations on crunches

I guess I did not post yesterday's workout either. Just so busy lately and still have guests.
I did Coffey Fit Raw Box & K-Bell 2, 170 calories, heart rate 139 average, max 195?,
30 minutes, 2,384 steps. I really liked this one. It seems those super high heart rates are always a brief blip on the heart rate and it drops way down. Not understanding that too much. I followed this with Coffeyfit Raw 5 Day Strength Day #1 back and biceps, 44 minutes(some time for adjustments and writing, 564 steps, heart rate average 114, max 159, 149 calories. Total time 74 minutes, 319 calories, 2,948 steps.
5 day strength Day 1 back and biceps
Warm up with lighter weights I used 8# dumbbells
Back
1 arm rows 10 reps each set I used 20# for 4 sets and 25# for third set. Kelly used 30#. I can up it , but wanted to see where my strenght is
Seated Split stance reverse fly 1 arm Kelly used 12# I started seating and changed to standing. I just felt I was working into my shoulder more than I should have been sitting at that angle I used 12# all 5 sets
Frog legs lying prone on a bench body weight 5 sets , 2 sets of 20 reps, 2 sets of 15 reps, 2 sets of 10 reps
Biceps
alternating pledges seated (seemed more like a hammer curl) Kelly uses 20# dumbbells
I used 20# 16 reps total, 15# 16 reps total, decided to stand and did 20# 16 reps total, then set 4 and 5 I did seated using 15# as she stated that standing you get some hip movement helping. I just felt my dumbbells kept hitting the sides of my step bench since I did not have a weight bench that I was using.
Preacher curls off of bench, arm braced on step 1 arm 8 reps Kelly uses 12#
set 1, 2, 3 15# dumbbell, set 4 & 5 12# dumbbell
ends with abs 5 sets of variations of reverse crunch 10 reps each
Music was good on this. I wish it was a bit louder though :)

So tomorrow I am headed to the arthritis doctor. This will probably be blood tests and eye test again. I hate going there.

Valerie, I don't do really wide snow angel jumps. It does not feel right on the knees when I land. More just jumping straight.

Carolyn, I am really enjoying the Step Boss workouts but I still lose my footing at times. Ginger almond butter would be wonderful. I love lots of ginger in things.

Deb, I bet the birthday party was a lot of fun. I am not a good dancer, but my husband likes it.

Judy, that sounds like a good workout plan. I am trying to do Kelly's 5 day strength Raw routine with some added cardio and yoga. I bet you are liking not having to work so many hours. The pay is probably nice though.

I just went back and read some posts I had missed.

Valerie, did you get your bath project finished? A new paper roll holder? Cardio Party is fun. I bet you could use some premixes and do something like just the boxing portions till you work through learning the moves.

Deb, the stress test was interesting. They put an iv on me and had me wait 30 minutes and had me pick a bag of chips or some crackers to eat? I thought that was weird since I had to go in fasted for 8 hours. They took me to a waiting room and told me to drink lots of water, but stay away from the coffee pot. Then they put me in a reclining seat with my arms overhead with electrodes and had some machine that seemed to be scanning me or something from different angles. Then I did the treadmill and each time they increased the speed they put something in the iv for their pictures and took my blood pressure. Then I had to have more in the iv and wait in that room again then back to the machine that scans again.

Carolyn, I much prefer turkey breast over having a whole turkey. My husband was happy when my daughter brought me over a whole turkey that was 22 lbs this year. I have dark meat in baggies in the freezer figuring I would use it periodically with Gertie's dog food. I need to look for that Ginger Almond Butter.

Did a spin 40 min but used cycle sweat this time. No countdown timer. Plus if you use a premix, least one I used doesn’t have a rest break between songs. Not possible!! I don’t like the music much either. Then did abs #2 from x train which for some reason I never did. Guess I always did #1 which i like better. I really miss countdown clock.it was huge mistake to eliminate it. No break between songs is problem #2. I need a break and can’t do that intensity for 40 min straight.

Hi Everyone,

Monday I did the Intermediate Step Bonus and the Extended Stretches, along with a short Peloton ride. I'll have to do the step one a few more times to get it down. I loved the stretches! They are perfect together, like a short yoga session.
Yesterday I did Step Boss PHA3 with the bonus abs. I also did a 15 minute Peloton recovery ride and Yin Yoga. I really like the new PHA3 workout. I though it was very challenging, I had to modify a few things but overall I'm happy with this workout. The bonus abs (ab stacker) is very unique and will take me some time to get used to. I like how Cathe uses the step risers but it felt little awkward at first. I had to keep my legs on the floor during the side to side oblique stacking and I couldn't do all of the boat poses without taking a break.

Valerie-I agree about the countdown timer. I prefer the spin classes that have them. I haven't done Cycle Sweat that much. Pedal Power and Ride are the ones I've done the most. Peloton has a countdown timer on the screen but it's for the entire class time, not by song.

Diane Sue-When Chris and I had the heart CT scans, they said we both had nodules on our lungs, but that they were so small that no follow up was needed. I think I will ask my doctor about that again the next time I go in. I wasn't worried about it but maybe we do need follow up with another scan at some point. I was looking at the Raw 5 Day Strength program. I think I will add it in for one of my rotations this year. I hope your arthritis doctor appointment goes well.

Carolyn-Great workouts this week! I love that Cathe has a Step Boss-Hardcore Rotation. I have that on my list for this year too. I will also substitute other cardio for some of the step workouts.

Hi to Deb & Lori!

Judy

diane sue, yes we finished the bathroom. it turned out great. we'd been waiting the back piece for the TP holder. we are happy we pulled the toilet since the flange underneath was failing and we got it before any damage occurred. water potentially leaking at the toilet base is not a good thing.
Judy I have 4 cathe spin disks. remembered cycle sweat didn't have a timer but decided to do it anyway. amazing how useful that is for helping you decide exactly how much you can push yourself. the premix I used was not edited well and between several songs there was really no break. a couple seconds! I need to sit down, get a posture break, reduce tension. I took the breaks anyway, but then timing for the next song is off. I usually use pedal power and was sure I liked one of the other disks but cycle sweat isn't it. I need to mark it so I don't make the mistake again.

Today I did the Step Sync Intermediate Step Bonus and the Ab Stacker Abs workout. Total time was 42 minutes with 307 calories burned. I really liked the intermediate step bonus for learning the unfamiliar moves. I’m still trying to get the step behind-ball change move.

Judy, I felt the same about the Ab stacker. I kept my feet down with the side to side obliques and I held the plank instead of balancing on one side. It was too hard on my shoulders to move the risers while balancing on one hand.

Diane Sue, I think that Whole Foods is the only national store that carries the Big Spoon Roasters products, but some are available on Amazon. The company website can provide helpful information about their products.

Valerie, I can’t do a lot of standing on the spin bike. I need the breaks too.

Hello to Deb and Lori.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.