Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 07/03/2022

I worked in paint today. I was going to take all week off but they had some staffing issues and I agreed to come in for a 6 hour shift in paint. I'm off tomorrow then work Saturday in garden. After that, I'm in paint for the next 3 weeks.

Diane Sue-great job with CDorner Cardio Kickboxing and Weights and Boss Bands Total Body. I'm not able to use the medium and heavy bands for biceps either and I use the light band for triceps. I don't know how she does it either. There are quite a few upper body moves that I can't match Cathe's strength with. This is the first year I've been able to regularly do 2 * 12 lbs for overhead triceps, like she does in the Muscle Meltdown.

Carolyn-Great job with LiTE Stacked Sets Upper Body. We had high heat earlier in the week, then storms, and now it's cooling down a little. It looks like the weekend will be nice, with temps in the 80's.

Valerie-I'm sorry that you are having a challenging year with deer and your garden. We've sold so much Liquid Fence and Repels-All at Home Depot this year. It seems worse than previous years.

Cathy-I wonder if fireworks were harder to get in Michigan this year? Or maybe people just didn't want to spend money on them. It was noticeably less in our area than previous years.

Reactions: WD
had no issues with deer while we were here. they had a party while we were gone. ate things they never ate before. ate parts of deer proof plants. no idea why their tastes change from year to year. weve tried various deer repellant sprays. some smell so bad you dont want to be out there yourself so thats not good. DH makes up the spray and I think its called deerstopper but we use that term to apply to any deer repellant.

there were supposedly "supply chain" issues with fireworks this year. ( what else is new?) we will always leave for the 4th unless things improve. a lot of states( west/southwest) have serious fire issues that might lead to more restrictions. I'm on board with anything that reduces the craziness.

so I have a theory about arms/ weights. for no particular reason I have strong triceps. my arms are connected so angles of hands/ wrists rotate inward. I almost cannot use a straight bar to lift and need the angles of an easy curl bar. I can almost always match cathe on tricep moves but biceps nowhere near her. I think its related to the angle of how your arm tendons/ muscles from the elbow/shoulder are connected.

This morning I did KCM’s Cardio Fit, all cardio no weights premix. That was 34 minutes and 212 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 158. This is another very hot day with heat index between 99-105.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Did Metabolic Core today. I haven't done that one before and I'm quite sure my heart rate was at least in the mid-120's-130's for most of it, but it took until over half an hour in for my watch to register that I had even reached fat burning range. And it's only a 46 minute workout. Never made it over 119. Messed with it for awhile and then gave up. I'm with everyone else that there are some upper body muscles I will never completely match Cathe on, and others where I can. Though a lot depends on the moves and speed of reps.

Judy maybe gas prices kept a lot people from driving down to Indiana. When we went to South Bend recently, we went just far enough in to hit the toll road and there were definitely places selling them. But, I'm for anything that cuts it down. Looks like we might get just clipped by some rain coming soon, but it won't last long. Just enough to make it too wet to walk.

Valerie my sister has the same issue with deer of them ignoring plants at one point and then deciding they are tasty. They have cameras and when they are in Florida they can see what the deer are doing.

Carolyn nice job with Cardio Fit.

I got busy yesterday and had my chest CT so I forgot to check in. They called on the CT today and said the larger nodule they are watching is stable from last visit and they want me to come back in a year.
Yesterday I did CDorner Hiit and Miss Cardio, 46 minutes, 258 calories, heart rate 135/164, 4,163 steps. Chris gave lots of options on this one. When there were thrusters and mountain climbers she showed some other moves and I pretty much stayed on my feet. This altenated a Hiit round and steady state medium rounds.
Today I was tired again. It keeps taking a long time to fall asleep and then I wake up multiple times. I started to do a Penny Bradshaw workout that was strength, but she hit the second move and it was a side plank holding a dumbbell up and I decided it was not for me. I need to watch these first. This was only 4 minutes and 14 calories. So, I did a Tracey Steen beginner, full body cardio strength, 42 minutes, heart rate 107/155, 150 calories. I upped some of the weight a bit and increased cardio intensity a bit. It is all low impact. She used 2's, ,5's and 8's. I did some of the lower work with 10's and biceps combos.
I finished with CDorner stretch from an older workout that is around 15 minutes and lots of upper stretch using a chair and added on to it with one of her mobility cardio workouts stopping after down dog. Time for this was 25 minutes, 55 calories, heart rate 86/114.
Total time today was 72 minutes, 219 calories, 2,217 steps.

Judy, sorry you could not take the whole week off. I hope you have a nice day tomorrow. I used to be able to keep up with Cathe pretty well. Except I could not get 25# biceps curls. The only time I was able to do that was the first time I went through STS and I am sure form was not that good. I would be afraid of going to heavy with triceps or biceps after them repairing the biceps tendon and reattaching with a plastic screw. Triceps are difficult for me on that arm after surgery. Particularly overhead extensions.

Valerie, we have quite a lot of deer out here. My husband says when working at night they are wandering around. He comes home with pictures sometimes. I don't know how you get them to stay away. My daughter has problems with them eating her fruit off her fruit trees. Even one of her dogs decided to eat peaches. You may be right about arms and angles. I have always been able to lift heavy with triceps, but biceps are difficult. My hands and arms do turn a bit differently. That is probably the difference in some people being able to do eagle arms in yoga and others finding it very difficult. I still can do it even after surgery and I was a bit surprised.

Carolyn, nice work with Cardio Fit today. I like that one and purchased it because it had the cardio premix option. It is hot here too. Exceptionally so. I keep increasing watering times and our lawn is looking burnt. It sprinkled a little this afternoon, but the temp was 102 with feels like 108. I was hoping for a downpour. Future looks dry and hot. We have odd even watering here.

Cathy, great job with Metabolic Core today. I gather that is a live workout. I am contemplating on signing up for a month or so. I just worry that I won't be able to do as many as I would like. Cathe seems to fit in a lot of overhead presses into her workouts. I am hoping for some more band workouts. I do like her step workouts that I have done. I charged up my Garmin and shut it down and turned it back on and it is working like it should again. I do try to get some movement in before I start the workouts and while loading, or when instructors talk first, I start moving. I guess since the watches go on algorithms it, they have to think or something. Today my body battery was low. I guess because I am not sleeping well. I used to have to stop and deal with my Fitbit all of the time. I would even shake my arm and slap the watch out of frustration. My husband kept telling me to get rid of that thingo_O I have not felt that way with the Garmin though as it rarely is off. I did think when I did the Hiit cardio yesterday, that maybe some of those workouts are low because I am not working as hard as I used to.

another serious garden day yesterday. we have enough done to settle down now, its like a jungle out there. I saw a deer for first time in a while. usually find footprints and eaten plants. sometimes we have a group hanging out here, then they disappear for a while and plague someone else. I still love to see them even though I dislike predation on my ornamental plants. most have fawns now so that keeps them out of sight for a bit. our vegie garden is fenced or we'd never get any crops. we tried to grow blueberries, strawberries and peaches but deer ate the whole plant including most of the tree. thats when we decided we had to fence.
I would simply grow plants they don't eat if they were ever consistent.
we have a very active Nextdoor goup here and the complaints about explosion noise are pouring in. it just keeps on going. we close windows at night so we dont get jolted awake when some idiot decides to blow off a few M-80's at 3 am.

it was at least 75 degrees yesterday but our garden is always warmer. sort of a microclimate out of wind and warm in the afternoon. I was roasting and had to come inside. 102 is barely in my range of comprehending. maybe 80 degrees and I was overwhelmed. I never handled heat well.

This morning I did Advanced Step Choreography. That one is a dancy step, power step, dance step, power step and then all together twice through. Minimal oops until the final go through. I don't think there are any live step routines that don't have some point where she forgets the moves. What happens when you just make a list of things and haven't practiced them over and over.

Went over and saw the neighbors garden so that I could verify it looks beautiful. LOL The tomato plants especially might be the most amazing ones I've ever seen and I grew up with grandparents who had large gardens.

Valerie thankfully I haven't heard any fireworks since the 4th out here. And we are staying in the 70's today. It's quite pleasant out right now.

Diane Sue my watch worked just fine today. It will do that, work fine for a few days and then mess up. There are only a couple live workouts that have bands in the title, but there are a few others that use the Boss Bands. You'd probably have to search through the LIVE forum to find them. Great job with the Hiit and Miss Cardio and stretch.

Yesterday I did ICE Metabolic Total Body and today I did a 45 minute Peloton ride after work.

Valerie-I agree with your theory about arms & weights. I have a hard time with using the straight bar for biceps curls too.

Diane Sue-I never got up to 25's for bicep curls but I did do 20's back when I was going to the gym in the 90's and early 2000's. The most I've done recently is 15's but I should try to get back to 20. I can understand you not wanting to go too heavy after that surgery.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Fit. I hope you had a nice rest day.

Cathy-That's a good point about the gas prices and driving to Indiana for fireworks.
Great job with Advanced Step Choreography. That's one I won't be trying anytime soon, lol! I'm terrible at dancy and/or advanced step routines.

Reactions: WD
Today I did CDorner Step Hiit Workout, 47 minutes, heart rate 117/143, 207 calories, 3,990 steps. This used 5,8, and 10# dumbbells with a vertical step. I then did Cathe Step Boss Chair Stretch, 16 minutes, 25 calories, heart rate 76/98. Total time 63 minutes, 232 calories, 3,990 steps.
Tomorrow will be a rest day.

I haven't done anything with weights for weeks, first vacation and then the heavy garden days. we loaded up a bunch of junk to take to the dump this morning. a whole truck load. had to take our camper off the truck which is why we hadn't done this before. usually we do spring clean out.

then did a mixed workout. 15 min on the spin bike, several sets of push ups, tricep push ups, curls, side raises. and x train abs. didnt feel bad so I will get back into weights this week. I hate getting too sore so I did a fast run thru. hope to road ride in the morning.

I don't think I've gotten past 15 on curls. arthritis in my hands and wrists prevents too heavy lifting there. the upper arm might be willing, but the wrists say no.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.