Party Rockin Step 1 No Fan

Roxie 1965

Cathlete
This was my first try at this workout after watching everyday for a week before I tried it you would think it would be less confusing but the choreography in this one is really tough I watched most of it attempted where I could felt like a complete waste of my time.

Don't give up Roxie. Preview it a time or two and then try again. This one takes a few tries to get the choreography down but once you do it is super fun. I'm a super big fan of this workout.
Michelle

Thanks Michelle I watched it every night this week but I was always on the wrong lead or almost fell half a dozen times, its really fast and all those spins confuses me.

Second that!

Hi Roxie,

I totally agree! I didn't preview PRS#1 as much as you did, but my experience and frustration was similar. I can do Rhythmic Step, Step Blast, Low Impact Challenge, both IMAX 2 and 3, and both 4 Day Split step routines with no problem. But PRS#1 has ridiculously complex footwork, and IMO, that compexity does not enhance the fitness value of the workout. When I fell the second time during this workout (stepped on my own shoe during one of those cross over things on the step), I ejected it and put it away, likely never to be pulled out again. The last thing I need is to get injured doing a move that is thrown in simply for complexity value!

Thank you for your opionion I think next time I will just do another step workout instead, I have looked at PRS #2 and it looks just a little easier.

Thank you for your opionion I think next time I will just do another step workout instead, I have looked at PRS #2 and it looks just a little easier.

The foot work is easier to learn but PRS2 has a lot more power moves. The only combos that have a little tricky foot work is combos 4 & 5, but mostly #4. But Cathe's cues are great and it's pretty easy to learn. I'm sorry you didn't like PRS1. I don't do all the turns that Cathe does. I usually put in rock front and back, mombo's, or cha cha's. The cross over the step with a turn, I just walk over like she gave as a option. It's still just as good of a work out without all the facny turns. But I understand not wanting to hurt yourself, it's not worth it, esp. if you have step blast. I love that workout.

The foot work is easier to learn but PRS2 has a lot more power moves. The only combos that have a little tricky foot work is combos 4 & 5, but mostly #4. But Cathe's cues are great and it's pretty easy to learn. I'm sorry you didn't like PRS1. I don't do all the turns that Cathe does. I usually put in rock front and back, mombo's, or cha cha's. The cross over the step with a turn, I just walk over like she gave as a option. It's still just as good of a work out without all the facny turns. But I understand not wanting to hurt yourself, it's not worth it, esp. if you have step blast. I love that workout.

Thank you I forget that her left is my right so my leads were always off.

Hi Roxie, I feel the same way about PRS#1. I tried it and I was all over the place and at one point I just stood there wondering how the heck am I ever going to get that routine. I was able to learn PRS#2, quickly, but this one has much more challenging choreography that I just wanted to give up and forget it. But I will keep doing it until I get it - that's my goal; I don't include it for my regular workouts, this one I'm doing after work since I don't get a good workout while I'm learning the routines. So let's keep trying to get that routine - don't give up; I'm with you.

I have big feet and turning while going over the step( laterally) makes me think to hard....(I don't like to use that muscle)...so I took the turns out....still love the workout...don't give up.....just change the moves to something else.... step sweeps can be over-face-ins until you are ready to give it a try. When I first started with Cathe, I remember having trouble with the figure 8....now it's no problem....you don't have to be perfect...just keep moving....I always tell my classes "There's no wrong way...only different"

I had a terrible time with PRS #1 too! I didn't give up......I tried and tried and just couldn't get it. I love Cathe and would probably follow her off a cliff but I just don't like this one. No worries though....she has many step wkouts to choose from. I think I have most of them. Just do a few segments of X10 and you'll forget all about everything else! :eek:

Hi Roxie. Don't give up. I never previewed it. All I did was start doing it and then when I could not get the steps I slowed it down and did it at least 5 times to get the steps. It took me about three times to do the whole DVD and it was a workout just doing it that way. The great part is that this week, yes, Sat., Sun., and today I did that particular workout because it was so much fun. and talk about fun and getting your heart rate up at the same time.

I have looked at clips of this and I already know this is not for me. I hated the low impact step in 4DS: done with it, unless it gets like Lowmax, in which case, count me in. There's no intensity for me in low impact step: complex choreography = intense irritation, not intensity in fitness!

Clare

One option for you Roxie, if you want to give it another go - and really this could work for any DVD, is to possibly slow down playback to about 85%, if you have that option. Having the moves done slower would probably help you learn it. :)

I too do not like the twists and turns and often times will just walk over, or, will do a Basic instead. Just some thoughts if you want to continue to use parts of the workout :)

Thank you everyone but I think I will skip this one and just do something else. I tried walking instead of turning but I still ended up on the wrong foot or side.

Well we stand behind you Roxie!! :) :) No sense in doing a workout that isn't fun, for YOU! :) I've got 2 left feet and a teeny tiny workout space. I'm a little scared to try PRS1 now, haha! :)

Hi Everyone,#

Roxie, I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time learning #1.

I must admit It is not the easiest to learn. Having worked out cathe's step before does help. IMO what help in learning complex choreography:

• play the dvd in slow mode. I am not sure 100% but most dvd players have this option.
  • Break down moves into counting
  • Previewing and practicing at least three times
  • Do the modification offered, I know cathe does offer
  • last but most importantly have a mindset. Getting/keeping fit is all about having a strong mind set. Funnily this does not, IMO, just apply to lifting weight! it apply to other aspects of our life;).

No matter how complex a choreography is, my mind won't be at ease till I get it. okay I know everyone is different but that is how I get around it;);)

BTW now that I can complete both PRS i am loving them;)

That was just my 5 p!

After seeing this thread, I decided to give this one a try again. I had pretty much given up. There were so many turns that it made me dizzy and I just couldn't seem to get the choreography. That was really frustrating because I love step and I have mastered RS, 4DS, step moves, etc. I managed to get through the first 4 combos, but couldn't get combo 5 down, so I subbed in 5 &6 from PRS2 and the finished product, to make sure I got a complete work out. I think I will keep trying. I love the music, and the parts that I managed to do were quite fun. I hope I will be able to master it soon.

After seeing this thread, I decided to give this one a try again. I had pretty much given up. There were so many turns that it made me dizzy and I just couldn't seem to get the choreography. That was really frustrating because I love step and I have mastered RS, 4DS, step moves, etc. I managed to get through the first 4 combos, but couldn't get combo 5 down, so I subbed in 5 &6 from PRS2 and the finished product, to make sure I got a complete work out. I think I will keep trying. I love the music, and the parts that I managed to do were quite fun. I hope I will be able to master it soon.

I don't do all the turns either. I usually to the rock front and back instead of the reverse turn step and on combo five, I had in a few cha cha's before the mombo and cha cha around. I don't do those 2 turns in that one either. Once I figured out the count, I just add in my own "spicy" moves before returning to the regular moves. As long as you make it to the mombo on count 9, do what ever you want instead of the turns. Glad to hear you made it through the rest of the combos.

Since I often do Christi Taylor's complicated

step choreography, I did not find Party Rockin 1 bad at all. I have Party Rockin 2 but I did not do it yet. I am still recovering from staying up too late on New Year's.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.