Ovarian Cancer

runlikeagirl

Cathlete
My family just found out this week that our cousin has Ovarian Cancer. I did not know the symptoms of Ovarian Cancer so I googled it and also found out that September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness. I thought I would share the signs and symptoms with you all

Most women do have symptoms in the 6 to 12 months before ovarian cancer is found. Symptoms that occur in later stages are most likely caused by the pressure of the growing cancer. Symptoms include:
  • Ongoing cramps or pain in your belly.
  • Ongoing pain in your pelvis or lower back.
  • Abnormal bleeding from your vagina, especially after menopause if you are not using any hormonal medicines.
  • Abnormal discharge from your vagina, containing mucus that may be tinged with blood.
  • Pain or bleeding during sex.
  • Nausea or loss of appetite, or you cannot eat normally.
  • Ongoing bloating or intestinal gas that is not relieved by home treatment measures.
  • Bigger belly size or a lump that can be felt in your belly.
  • Decreased energy level.
  • A change in your bowel habits, such as constipation or diarrhea.
  • A change in your bladder habits, such as urinary frequency or urgency.
  • Weight loss.
My cousin had surgery on Friday and will have Chemo for the next 4 month.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, if you ever need some questions answered, please feel free to ask. I have been an Oncology nurse for about 10 1/2 years so I see this type of cancer on a daily basis. Thanks for putting up the Ovarian cancer awareness topic , it is soo important for all of us women to be aware of ovarian cancer and its symptoms. This will be a tough 4 months for your cousin but tell her to keep a positive attitude-it really does make a difference -Lisa

Lisa

Thanks. Here is a question for you how soon after surgery do they start the chemo? At this point I don't think they've started yet.

Lori

Lori - so sorry to hear that your cousin, and family, are dealing with this. There have been so many advances with this disease and hope that she will come through all of it with flying colors. I agree - a positive attitude is so important, as is the support of her family. Prayers, hugs, and best wishes to all of you.

Nurse34

What tests can we as women asks our doctors to do in order to catch ovarian cancer earlier? Would a routine pap detect it?

Thanks for posting! My Grandma passed away from Ovarian Cancer almost 2 years ago. She started having more frequent bladder infections and abnormal bleeding. She was diagnosed w/ ovarian cancer in May and passed away in October (it was very advanced by the time she was diagnosed). :( So I'm very careful and will definitely watch for signs now that I have a family history.

Good luck to your cousin, it sounds like they are on the ball in catching it early!

Jess

Nurse34

What tests can we as women asks our doctors to do in order to catch ovarian cancer earlier? Would a routine pap detect it?

No, a PAP does not detect ovarian cancer. There is a very specific b tlood test that can test for it though, but it is expensive and many insurance companies won't cover it. It is important to go for regular checks at the gynecologist (yearly) and be aware of the signs of the cancer.

Lori,
Prayers to you, and to your cousin. I wish her the very best.
A co-worker of mine was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about a year ago, and I learned a lot about it then. She had a number of the symptoms but it took her a while to go to the doctor because she thought she was just suffering from a combination of fatigue and menopause.
Thanks for listing the symptoms, and for letting us know that this is Ovarian Cancer Awareness month.

Lori- typically the oncologist will get the okay from the surgeon. They will not start any chemo until all wounds are healed. The blood test is called a CA-125. Some primary doctors will do this if you ask as long as you are doing a full checkup. I draw one on my mom each year and its always paid for. Remember CA-125 is only a tumor marker, which can indicate that cancer may be present and it also helps the MD know if the chemo is working with a patient who is currently on therapy. I always tell my patients its a good indicator but the best test is always a CT scan. But, for those of us who just need a diagnostic tool the best blood test is the CA-125. -Lisa

Thanks everyone after I posted the thread I talked to my mom. Mom and Dad went to see my cousin. Mom said her spirits seem good but she doesn't think its sunk in. I guess they will be starting Chemo in two weeks.

Lisa thanks for the info about the Bld test and CT.

Lori

Lori, Prayers to your cousin. I lost my mother to the battle 7 years ago, it was a long fight.

My mother didn't have ovaries or a uterus for 5 years prior to her diagnosis. Figure that one out?

As far as the testing...my gyn refuses to run CA-125's on me and I would consider us friends. I send her all the recent medical literature etc. She tells me the vaginal ultrasounds she does on me will be enough.

The standard of care (legal term for correct practice) does not require CA-125's or ultrasounds, but if you complain of symptoms of bloating and pain and have a family history of OC the gyn will order an ultrasound.

I get my own CA-125's drawn anyway and pay for it myself. That way I can follow my own trend. I stress sometimes they are not accurate and sometimes the elevation of the level does not mean you have ovarian cancer. It's funny, I work with doctors, defend doctors and am a nurse, yet I still trust no-one when it comes to my health!

The symptoms are silent which is why ovarian cancer is often not detected until Stage 3 or 4.

Thanks for this post and getting the word out!

Amber

We just found out a few weeks ago that my mother-in-law has stage 3 ovarian cancer. They did an 8 hour surgery to do a full hysterectomy, a colonectomy, and something else. She had all this pain and bloating for a while and was swelling in her legs and abdomen. They thought it had to do with her stomach and had done a scope but found nothing. Then they did a scan and saw the masses on her ovaries. She starts chemo next week. My husband went up to Cleveland 2 weeks ago to see her after her surgery. She looks horribe, all this loose skin in her abdomen, feet swelled up, her face has sunken in, it is sad to see the pictures. She has a colostomy bag now. I hope chemo will work but she is so weak already. All the info online is so scary because they rule out everything else first and by the time the docs realize it is ovarian cancer women are in the 3rd or 4th stage. I hope everything goes ok with your cousin as well as my mother-in-law. We haven't had a great relationship but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Last edited:
I think that it is so important for women to understand the symptoms of ovarian cancer. Too many people just don't consider it - and unfortunately, that includes doctors. A lot of education needs to occur. It is so sad that the symptoms, when they do occur, are largely often ignored by physicians, and too many women just don't know what the symptoms are. It would help if we emailed all of the women that we know and included a list of the symptoms and questions to ask their doctors if they are concerned. And, if their doctor ignores it, to find one who will pay attention if they are concerned. Better to pursue it and find out that it is nothing, and know, than to let the cancer progress. And if it is cancer, better to start treatment immediately, of course. I don't know why doctors don't consider this cancer as a possibility more often. It is very frustrating. I am going to put something together and send it to my family and friends.

Thanks for posting the message about ovarian cancer and my prayers are with your cousin and her family. I would like to refer her to an EXCELLENT online list for info and support from ovca survivors...www.acor.org and the mailing list is ovarian. But please tell your cousin that even with late stage diagnosis--the disease is not always fatal! She'll find many long term survivors.

I am 50 years old and was diagnosed with stage iv when I was 44 years old. You are so right--the symptoms can be subtle. Many doctors ignore the symptoms as well. My symptoms prior to diagnosis were not persistent...until finally I had some pain and by then it had spread to lungs and colon. I had the initial surgery followed by chemo and am pretty lucky that I have always responded to chemo. I've had two recurrences.

I think that exercising has helped me recover! I was able to work, walk the dogs and do Cathe through it all, although somedays after chemo I could barely lift any weight at all. And my job is rather sedentary :) My philosophy is I may have cancer, but cancer does not have me! (based on a survivor movie about cancer.)

We definitely need to educate the public. I have actually had two doctors not understand how I can have a recurrence if my ovaries and uterus have been removed (family practice) and people at work asked me (after my hysterectomy) if I can still have children...so we need to educate. Thanks!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.