Opinions on the use of Chewing Gum

elsie3

Cathlete
Hi All,

I just wanted your opinion.

I'm a bit confused on the pros and cons of using sugarfree chewing gum. I didn't use it for years because of the artificial sweeteners. Many sources will say that chewing gum actually promotes weight gain because it increases appetite due to the chewing action and the artificial sweeteners. But some sources say it helps with weight loss by decreasing appetite.

Anyway, I've started chewing gum between meals. I like that it signals the end of eating and keeps me from putting anything else into my mouth. And, of course, my breath is "minty fresh.":p I haven't found that it has increased my appetite or my weight. But I'm not one for putting too much artificial sweetener in my body. And I'm certainly not going to use the sugared kind.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Elsie - I do not chew the sugar free gum b/c of the artificial sweeteners. My stomach gets horribly bloated and it gives me gas (sorry if TMI!) However, I chew regular ol' bubble gum (just one piece) often while working out. It keeps me from clenching my jaws too much when lifting and it oddly sort of regulates my breathing during intense cardio. If I want something in between meals, I reach for an Altoid.

Speaking as a former gum chewer - I always chewed alot of S/F gum. I stopped for a # of reasons. Yes the artificial sweeteners are not good for you & I don't care to put them in my body, the constant chewing would sometimes bother my ears & jaw. Plus I also read that you can be gassy just from the constant chewing, taking in air. I don't really miss it. I aloslike to have that signal that I am done eating so now I immediately brush my teeth. :D

Elsie, since January, DH and I changed our poor eating habits and gum has been a life saver! Neither of us have seen any weight gain from it...I think screw the experts and do what works for you! :) By the way...I don't chew the sugar free because of the taste. Orbit White in Bubblemint is only 5 calories a piece. I figure I can splurge every once in a while! :) HTH

I've been a Trident fan since I was a kid, & a Trident addict since I quit smoking. I guess artificial sweeteners are better than lung cancer, huh? ;)

Helps lessen hunger pangs

Hi All,

I just wanted your opinion.

I'm a bit confused on the pros and cons of using sugarfree chewing gum. I didn't use it for years because of the artificial sweeteners. Many sources will say that chewing gum actually promotes weight gain because it increases appetite due to the chewing action and the artificial sweeteners. But some sources say it helps with weight loss by decreasing appetite.

Anyway, I've started chewing gum between meals. I like that it signals the end of eating and keeps me from putting anything else into my mouth. And, of course, my breath is "minty fresh.":p I haven't found that it has increased my appetite or my weight. But I'm not one for putting too much artificial sweetener in my body. And I'm certainly not going to use the sugared kind.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I found this out when I was starving in the checkout line at Walmart - I bought gum to see if it would help, & it did! It doesn't eliminate them, it makes them less intense.

http://www.medindia.com/news/Chewing-Gum-may-Help-Control-Your-Hunger-Pangs-28308-1.htm

I'm a big sugar-free gum chewer and I haven't found that it makes me hungrier....I use it after meals because I HATE the feeling of food in my teeth and it isn't always convenient to brush immediately after a meal. I also use it as a sort of dessert 'cause it's sweet!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.