Opinions on Christi Taylor workouts, please?

D

debmac

Someone on the Firmlist mentioned that Christi Taylor has 2 new tapes available for pre-order...and they sound really good. I am tempted to order them, but I've never seen any of her other workouts. I absolutely love Cathe's step tapes and hi/lo....so does anyone know if I'd also love Christi's step and hi/lo? Opinions, please anyone? Thanks.

Happy Hour Hi Lo

Hi Deb

If Christi's new hi lo is anything like Happy Hour, I want it. I love Happy Hour and it is an excellent fun workout.

I personally have not tried any of Christi's step tapes since I tend to need more hi lo for the cross training thing. I have heard Stepping Zone is quite good though.

A lot of people love CIA 9801 as well. The choreography on that one is quite a bit more complex than Happy Hour. Christi has indicated that her new hi lo will be more similar to Happy Hour in choreography than 9801.

All in all, she is a great instructor and I like her.

Kim

I love Christi's videos!

Hi! If the new video is your first, I would start with Happy Hour Hi-lo (and that would keep you occupied while you're waiting!) and then try the new one, which is supposed to be less complex choreoraphy than 9801. The hi-lo of 9801 is so fun, but it took a few times to run through it to get it. Although, that was kind of fun. I was still getting a good wokrout, I just would add a little more each time.As for the step, it is complex! The first time I did it, I kept tripping over my feet, and eventually I just fell down and cried. But, what I did was, I would do the high-lo section on a day when I had lots of time, then I would just keep going as long as could without using a step. That took some of the pressure off. After doing that several times, I was able to conquer the step portion, which is worth it because it's really fun once you learn it! Stepping zone is much easier to follow, and another favorite! Christi's step is a ltitle less intense than Cathe's, so it makes a nice change when you really want to think but not work extra hard!
Hope this long winded post has helped!
Sarah E.

Christi is great for Hi/Lo

Happy Hour is a great intro to Christi before you move on the 9801. Christi's choreography is a notch higher than Cathe's, but her intensity is a notch lower. If you are at the Intermediate level of exercising and love choreography, then you will love Christi.

Her 2 new videos have not been shot yet, but if it's typical Christi, you won't be let down. She delivers.

Christi is not for the choreography challenged

Hi,

I tried Christi's Happy Hour tape and gave up after the first 10 minutes. I get so confused with all of the turns. I got so frustrated that I never bothered trying it again. But, the workout did look like lots of fun. I just wish I wasn't so choreographically imparied.

Lorrayne

thanks for responding!!

You've all helped me decide to start with Happy Hour Hi/Lo!!! I gathered from what you all told me that Christi's step is not as intense as Cathe's, although the choreography can be more complex than Cathe's. So that bit of info made me decide NOT to purchase Christi's step stuff (yet), since I love the intensity of Cathe's step....love feeling totally wiped out after doing one of Cathe's step tapes!!! So I appreciate the feedback, you all helped me make an informed decision (and also helped me not spend quite as much at this time). Although I'm sure if I love what I see in Happy Hour, I'll soon be getting more! variety is just the spice of life, isn't it? can't have enough variety when it comes to workout videos! (try and tell my hubby that though, ha ha!!)

I felt that way the first time I ever tried Happy Hour

but now it is my favorite hi lo workout. Watch it once and then give yourself a day when you really don't care if you get a decent workout or not (or even a rest day). That is what I did and it only took me one or two times to get that tape down. 9801, however, was another matter and I ended up trading that one because when I finally did figure out some of the moves (note SOME), I was so short on space. That is my lame excuse and a bit of cop out but hey... don't give up on Happy Hour just yet.

There are not too many excellent videos out there that any of us get down pat the very first or even second time. Happy Hour is one of those that are worth the time to learn, IMHO.

Kim

9801 Tape

I too love the hi-lo tape and was thinking about getting the 9801 tape. However, I had read somewhere that doing this tape requires alot of room. Is this true? Thanks.

I modify-

I don't have alot of room, and I've found ways to just change direction rather than follow Christi exactly. It's a little hard to describe, I hope it makes sense. Like, instead of turning and grapevining to the side, I'll go to the back of the room. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, I think it can be modified to just about any amount of room, without losinmg intensity! Hope this helps you! Sarah E.

When Christi says "watch me"...

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON May-22-00 AT 05:01PM (EST)</font></center>

...you really do have to WATCH. In my case, that means STOP and watch. She's usually going to do some sort of turn. I can't seem to watch attentively and move at the same time, even if I'm not trying to do the same thing she is. And she doesn't do very many repetitions before she moves on to the next step or combo, so it's easy to feel befuddled very quickly. When you finally catch on to her style, the intensity is just right, and the turns are much simpler than they seemed at first.

Anyway, I've learned Happy Hour and Stepping Zone enough to enjoy both of them, and they work fine within my just-adequate space. I don't much care for hi impact, so I'll let other people do 9801 on my behalf!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.