Ok, this whole food thing is getting really annoying...

naughtoj

Cathlete
I am almost 11 weeks PG and I eat breakfast and two hours later, at 10:30 am all of a sudden all I can think about is hamburgers and french fries. Then two seconds later I am so nauseous that I am almost going to puke and then I have to eat but nothing sounds good. Repeat this cycle approximately 12 times per day but insert various other food cravings with each episode and that is where I am at.

Can you relate?

I look at things in the grocery store I never even glanced at before. Twinkies, Ho-Ho's, stuffed cheese bread. In a split second, I see it and I HAVE TO HAVE IT. I smell the boxes!!! :) In an instant I feel like a wild animal deprived of food for days on end!! Then, once I eat something, I am fine and usually can resist the Twinkie. But the desperation is so funny. You are cruising around the grocery store...all is good...no hunger that you can sense...and then BAM!!! you are buying everything in the store, dreaming of all the food combinations you could inhale.

I wonder if all that is just crazy blood sugar fluctuations? I have yet to puke puke but this cycle sure seems to be one of the most annoying effects of pregnancy yet!x( :p

Well, I have to go raid the fridge, lol:7 ;)

RE: Ok, this whole food thing is getting really annoyin...

I would say...feel lucky you can eat:7 I had terrible ms with my first and second. I mean, couldn't keep a thing down, losing weight, throwing up whole undigested food that I had eaten 13 hours before(TMI..sorry!)morning sickness. I also craved JUNK! I lived for chocolate, Wendy's chili, Frosty's and doritoes and fruit punch..just to name a few. With my 4th i didn't want anything. The first trimester is tough and my doc said just eat what you can and what you feel like. Of course, it would be great if you wanted fruits and vegetables but you take what you can get. I also had the worst craving for whatever food I saw on TV. I remember watching Friend's and Joey was eating a bologna sandwich and all of sudden I was dying for bologna...which i never eat. It will get better. Hang in there!

things really eased up for me 2nd trimester. i am now eating much more normally and healthfully.

my tips:

-don't go grocery shopping hungry
-keep healthy snacks in your purse, car, at work and at home
-raw veggies and hummus is satisfying and healthy
-i like to mix fat-free plain yogurt with a bit of low-fat blue cheese dressing and eat with raw veggies
-i always keep cut-up fruit salad in the frig
-i also keep hard-boiled eggs in the frig, quick and satisfying protein

good luck, the craziness will subside soon!!

I am VERY grateful I have not thrown up. Also, while food doesn't always sound great right before I decide to eat, I haven't had any real food aversions. I can pretty much eat anything. Just had lots of cravings.

LOVE the hard boiled egg idea!! I will do that. Actually all those tips are great. It is hard to keep up with the nutrition aspect when your body is telling you to eat every 3 hours. It really gets tiring....paying attention to it all. I guess I would have been more prepared for that if I had been eating healthy prior to PG but it was the exact opposite.

Thanks for understanding!:+

I can relate,I don't crave the sweets (worsens nausea since 1st pregnancy),but I crave salty stuff.Yesterday I started with waves of nausea every 3 hrs.I eat a few carrots sticks until I am able to prepare something,seems to help so far.This 1st trimester needs to end soon:)
Suzette

Hang in there... the second trimester is so much better. Gives you time to gear up for the third trimester, which is no picnic again, but in a totally different way.

Every person is different, but something that helped me feel a lot less queasy in first trimester was keeping a sleeve of saltines with me pretty much everywhere I went. At the slightest sign of nausea, I would eat a few, often followed by a small amount of ginger ale. Every morning started with rolling over, pulling out some saltines from my nightstand, and eating a few before even starting the day. No idea if this would help you, but it helped me nip nausea in the bud.

Having said that, the weird food cravings are tough and, in my opinion, really hard to eliminate. Not that you have to give in to any craving, but you just get them and they're sometimes bizarre (in the sense that they can be for stuff you'd normally never have the slightest yearning for, let alone a craving). I had a few ridiculous days where I would crave Lays sour cream and onion potato chips. Would run out to the store, eat a few bites, feel gross, throw out the bag, and then have the exact craving the next day. One week I think I bought six bags of potato chips but only ate about half a bag total between all the trips. It was so weird. The other consistent craving was for take-out from Chipotle. I went there 10 or 11 days in a row at one point, and it got so embarrassing I would rotate among the various Chipotle franchises within a short drive from my house. Then one day, those cravings just went away and haven't returned. Your body does strange things when you're pregnant.

Anyway, I hope hearing others' stories makes you feel a little better about things. Everything you're experiencing is totally normal, and it will end. This, too, shall pass. :)

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Katie

Oh my goodness. You could be writing from my perspective. I'm 8 weeks with #2 and I have craved some of the most bizarre things that I never would have wanted before- yesterday I bought fudge peanut something or other candy and TGIFriday's cheese snack sticks to chow down on with my lunch. I convinced my husband I NEEDED a bologna sandwich (yeah, I know, the lunchmeat... but what can you do) and I am gagging thinking of eating it for lunch today.

I have been super queasy and nauseous (no m/s though) and tired and my doctor's office couldn't prescribe me anything because I'm not throwing up. Fun, huh? I actually am taking an OTC nausea medicine called Emetrol to help with that - but it doesn't take it away completely- today I am feeling pretty rough indeed.

I've been eating and eating and eating - I do not want the huge weight gain I had with my first baby, and I am too sick to exercise - so it's such a "WTH" situation.

I crave things one minute- the next, the thought of ANY food is gag-provoking. I have probably spent $100 in the past couple of weeks on impromptu grocery store and takeout food runs!

Hang in there- it should subside by the 2nd trimester- you're closer than I am! :)

PM me if you need to talk, vent, commisserate, whatever!:)

Tracy

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! I'm about 7 weeks, and up until 2 weeks ago I worked out for an hour everyday and ate very healthfully. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I'm too tired to work out and the thought of vegetables makes me sick. Yesterday I was trying to eat a cucumber slice and it was horrible, but then I decided a coney dog and fries would be good and I ate that just fine. What is going on! I always thought that I would be a healthy pregnant woman and not gain a bunch of weight but now I'm starting to wonder. I haven't gained any weight YET and don't look different, but I'm scared I'm going to get really fat. Anyone have any advice? I feel like the laziest person alive!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.