Ohio Roll Call

Miss Lee

Cathlete
Hey there!!

Is everyone okay after that windstorm Sunday afternoon? Our power went out Sunday in the early afternoon and just came back on around 3:30 this morning. I was so happy I cried!

I feel so blessed. There was no damage to my home and all of my trees are standing tall and mighty (I had the branches of my big old trees cabled a few years ago and I'm so happy I did!). The worst of it for me was having to throw out the contents of my refrigerator. I had plenty of batteries and a radio, and I was able to locate a bag of ice early on. It took me a couple of days, but I managed to find a gas station and fill my tank, too. Restaurants started opening up the next day so I never had to fear for where my next meal would come from.

My thoughts and prayers remain with those in Texas who have suffered unimaginable losses. I understand completely that at worst, I was merely inconvenienced, but I do have a deep appreciation for how tough it can be to do without electricity.

Michelle,

I'm not from Ohio, but I'm your Missouri neighbor;)
We lost power and water for 8 hours. I've never seen a storm blow like this one! It looked like a tropical storm. We had several flooded areas and power lines down.

I can only imagine what it was like for all the Texan's in Ike's path. :(

I'm so glad to hear you're safe and suffered no major damage.:)

I'm a neighbor in Indiana. We had power but lost 2 trees. Thankfully no damage except to a fence. Our neighbors just got their power back yesterday. What is cabling trees?

I'm a neighbor in Indiana. We had power but lost 2 trees. Thankfully no damage except to a fence. Our neighbors just got their power back yesterday. What is cabling trees?
Hi Runnergirl,

I'm glad your losses were at a minimum! I feel so very lucky, especially when I witnessed the damage so many of my neighbors had to their homes. Several people in my neighborhood had extensive damage to their roofs.

Here's a brief explanation of tree cabling. I have big old ash and walnut trees and I had an arborist come out and do an assessment. He recommended cabling and i had him do the work. Basically, they reinforce the weak branches.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,1597909,00.html

Ohioan here!

Wow! We survived and only lost several branches and the canopy to our gazebo (it was literally in shreds and flappin in the breeze:eek:) We never lost power but thousands in our community did-- along with downed trees,power lines...it looked like a war zone, BUT nothing compared to the flooding to the west of us and poor Texas. We only caught a fringe of it, and it was frightening enough!

Heidi

We were lucky. We had power but the power went out at work and I got to go home.
One guy rode a motorcycle to work that day. He was back the next. What a diehard.
My poor boss hit a tree on the way home and smashed the windshield on his beloved Mustang. At least he did not get hurt. One of my co-workers was without power for 3 days.

Michele, I'm so glad to see you safe and sound and posting in Catheland again! I missed you tons and tons!

I'm also glad to see others from the area who are safe and checking in. That Ike may not have been as bad as predicted, but he sure was felt far and wide. Prayers for others who may not have been as fortunate.

We had no power and water for 33 hours. We lost everything in the refrigerator and almost everything in the freezer. It was lousy - no toilets or showers - but we kept things in perspective and were grateful to still have a home! We were thrilled when we got the power back because we were told it could be a week!

Erica

Wow - so glad that all of you made it through fine with only inconveniences. We are pretty much cleaned where I live (in Houston) but our neighborhood streets are still lined with tons and tons of debris, and getting gas is still a challenge but I think it is getting easier. I filled up early on and topped off on my last trip out before Ike, and am conserving my driving! I have not ventured much into Houston, except to Mom and Dad's, but the pictures I have seen of surrounding areas just make me want to cry. So sad. Hope that your areas gets put back together quickly and so glad that you are all ok.

I live near Akron, OH and luckily our power was only out for about 5 hours. We lost a few big branches, but our big guys are still standing. It was really scary Sunday night, the wind was sooo loud! I cannot imagine being in Texas when Ike hit. Glad everyone is safe and sound.

I was at work when it hit and the power went out. Everyone in the building had to go sit in the cafeteria for three hours, then they let us go and the next shift came in and sat around for three hours. I had power when I got home and found out the next day hardly nobody else did. Driving around town as late as yesterday afternoon there were still traffic lights out all over. The huge professional building where I went to get my allergy shots had no power, either. I understand there are electric company employees down here from Canada helping out... I was off the last two days (my actual weekend) and will find out what's going on with everyone else when I get to work. I'll bet lots of people still don't have power. My cable went out six times last night so I finally went to bed. Lots of trees down, gutter and roof damage to my house. Otherwise, okay.

I live north of Akron but was very lucky. We had no power outage but plenty in other close areas did. We have some people at work here who are still without power. 50 mph winds at our place, it took down a massive tree in my neighbors' yard, but we just had one screen blow out and that was it. We consider ourselves very lucky, indeed.

YAY Michele!! Welcome back. we just flickered here but the surrounding communities were hammered and our kids were off Mon and Tues this week. Food can be replaced - you cannot. Welcome back to the light. ;)

I understand there are electric company employees down here from Canada helping outQUOTE]

I heard that First Energy/Illuminating Company sent most of their crews and equipment to Texas to help after the hurricane and only left skeleton crews here. That's why we need electric company employees from other areas and why it's taking so long. I know that our Home Depot was out of generators because they sent them all down to Texas also!

Erica

I live in Ohio..Our power was out for 24 hours...We lost a ton of threes, and had a huge mess in our yard...Some of my friends will not have power back until next Friday they are saying....

The whole wind storm was so bizarre = we didn't even know one was coming. We were looking at a house and the lights kept flickering and my husband goes, "I have serious concerns about buying a house if the lights flicker ever time the wind blows". I was like, "Uhh, that's some pretty strong wind going on out there. I think a storm might be coming".

We only lost power for 4 hours which is weird b/c our power always goes out for no reason at all. My in-laws are still without power and the schools have been closed all week. One of our huge hickory trees fell onto the condo's behind our house and it is still there!!! I called the insurance company immediately after it happened. We had a big limb from another tree fall back there last year and our insurance company would not cover it since it wasn't on our property. My guess is they won't cover this either. I feel bad for the people who live in there. We talked to one couple though and they said they're just happy b/c it could have been much worse. No one was hurt thank God. I feel for Texas- we need to send money to the Red Cross this week.

I finally got my electric back sometime last night. I've been staying at my moms. I wasn't suppose to get my electric on till this weekend, but thankfully I got it before expected.

That was some wind storm. I've never seen anything like that. I can't imagine what the people in Texas have had to deal with.

Not from Ohio but Dave works for Cincinnati Water and commutes from Columbia, SC. He told me Monday, Cinni Water had no electricity and running on generators. When he left on Thursday, Dave told me electricity has not been fully restored to some areas. He offered his hotel room for one of the project managers, since Dave comes home on the weekends.

Sending good vibes, prayers y'alls way!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.