Nursing Boards

ally1966

Cathlete
Hello, everyone!

I don't post a lot, but some of you may know that I graduated from nursing school in May. I wanted to post to say that I'm taking my nursing boards tomorrow -- and I'll take any and all good thoughts anyone wants to send my way!! I think I'm ready...but it's the kind of thing I don't think you're ever 100% *ready* for! I know there are nurses out there who can probably (!) remember what this feels like -- and others who have done similar things who can relate!

Thanks in advance -- I feel comfortable posting about it because this is such a supportive place to share!

Allison

Oh yes, I remember it well! Many prayers and positive vibes coming your way. My best advice is to; 1) cease all study, and 2) go to bed early and get a good nights sleep;)

I remember it well too. I believe we were the first class to take the exam by computer. It went really well and was very quick. I agree, go have a nice dinner out and get to bed early. Stop studying....you'll do fine!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!

Good Luck! I took mine only 2 years ago, so I fully remember every detail! I know it's impossible, but try not to think about it too much right now! Stop studying and RELAX! Trust yourself--you will do fine!

Thanks everybody! I took your advice, and haven't opened a book today. Down to that "waiting is the hardest part" stage (or, I HOPE it's the hardest part!). I appreciate the good thoughts!
Allison

wow, it's been . . . .gulp . . . 25 yrs. since I sat for my boards! It was the last year they gave it in sections: Med,surg, peds, OB, psych . . .
I went out and got really really drunk w/ my friends after it was all done. (hey, I was 22!). I was worried they'd ask a bunch of stuff on burns, because a lot of time was spent on that topic in the review course I took. I crammed like crazy for burns (not a strong one for me) and there wasn't one question on it! x(
The worst part? Taking it in July and waiting for the results to show up in the mail . . . ..at the end of October!
Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine. And enjoy being a nurse. :)
Valerie

Good luck to you! You'll do great I'm sure. I took it on the computer and it took less than an hour. I thought, geez, that can't be good. I was freaking out until I got the results back that said I was officially a nurse. Then there were others in my class who were in there 3 hours and passed as well. So, try not to sweat it after you're done either. Waiting for the results is the hardest part, but you won't have to wait nearly as long as they used to. I couldn't imagine waiting 6 months to see if you passed.

Anyways - relax and you'll do great! Congrats in advance!!:)

Angie

Congratulations on coming this far!! Now, just relax and take a deep breath. You know what you know and you'll be fine. Remember with your test, your first response is probably correct so try not to change your answers after you've decided. After you pass, you might be offered a job from your internship site!

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your stories and for your good wishes! I just wanted to post again to say I took the NCLEX yesterday, and this morning my license number has already been posted on the state licensure website!! I can't believe I have results so fast -- that definitely beats the days of paper and pencil! The test was quite an experience; I feel like it's one of those things you can prepare and prepare for (which I did), but never feel quite ready, or quite sure how it actually went. But I'm relieved and delighted to be on this side of the whole experience!

Now...on to settling in to my new job! I'm working in cardiovascular recovery (mainly post-open hearts, but also MIs, cath lab recoveries, other chest surgeries -- it's great!).

Thanks again to all,
Allison (RN)

Congratulations! That is wonderful that you don't have to wait for results. Now, not to burst your bubble, but are you sure is your registered license # and not a GN#? I too remember the long wait despite it being a computerized.

Congratulations, at any rate. You picked a great area to start off in. Lot's of good experience. :)

Congratulations!
Great first job experience, btw. I think it's smart to start w/ something very challenging: you learn so much. I left my first job 20 yrs. ago. (An infant/toddler med/surg floor at a teaching hospital). Recently, I had the chance to get together w/ 1/2 dozen old friends from that job. We've all moved on to other things, (all still working as nurses), but we realized how much that experience shaped our lives and our views of our chosen profession.
I wish you the best,
Valerie

Congratulations, Allison, RN!!!:) :+

I agree with Valerie that its good to throw yourself into a challenging position from the get go. My first job was at a 1000 bed hospital, working as in house float staff on nights. I think I cried everyday for about 3 months -- lol! But OMG was it ever a great education. I learned so much about so many things. I kept that job for 3 years -- then I got married, moved away, and went into home health where I stayed until I retired.

All my best to you in your new career!

>Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your stories and for your
>good wishes! I just wanted to post again to say I took the
>NCLEX yesterday, and this morning my license number has
>already been posted on the state licensure website!! I can't
>believe I have results so fast -- that definitely beats the
>days of paper and pencil! The test was quite an experience;
>I feel like it's one of those things you can prepare and
>prepare for (which I did), but never feel quite ready, or
>quite sure how it actually went. But I'm relieved and
>delighted to be on this side of the whole experience!
>
>Now...on to settling in to my new job! I'm working in
>cardiovascular recovery (mainly post-open hearts, but also
>MIs, cath lab recoveries, other chest surgeries -- it's
>great!).
>
>Thanks again to all,
>Allison (RN)

:D :+ :D :+ :D :+

Oh my gosh, Alli, way to go!!!! You rock! Did it turn off at 75? I take mine July 10 and haven't really even started studying other than Kaplan classes. My friend from school who received similar grades as I passed last week at 75q's. I am hoping for the same. I just want the bigger paycheck! No fun working your butt off for so much less $$$!!!
Congrats RN!!:7

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes and stories! I'm excited about being in CVR, and it's so reinforcing to hear people say that it's good to start in a challenging spot. As you know, there is a certain fear factor involved! Michele -- a couple of nurses in my orientation group are starting as float nurses, and I think they are SO brave!! But they're going to learn so much, so fast. Interesting, too, that you finished up in home health; that's an area that interests me a lot, along with hospice. I know I will "have" to do one or both of those at some point in my career. Janice, I *did* actually stop at 75 questions, which felt pretty amazing; I just didn't think that would happen for me. I did an online review course through Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI), and I also reviewed on my own with a Kaplan book -- and I'd say that was the most helpful part of my studying. I'll be thinking of you on the 10th!! I know you'll be great!

Thanks again to all,
Allison

Congratulations AllisonRN!!! Welcome to our wonderful profession. I took my boards in 1981 with paper and pencil over 2 full days and waited months for the results. Definitely an improvement over that now!!! I worked on a surgical floor for 6 months before moving on to critical care where I've worked ever since. I've done ALOT of CVICU nursing including transplants. This is an exciting, ever changing area to work in and we love having young nurses enter who are excited about what they do. I'm currently a charge nurse in a post open heart unit.

Congratulations again!!

ShellyC

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.