not getting desired results

Hi Katie, I am a certified trainer and aerobics instructor. You might want to be cautious of overtraining which causes you to get the opposite effect. You also will start to use your muscle mass as energy. Some of the symptoms are, you start to gain or lose weight, you lose the desire to workout, loss of sleep, depression, fatigue, costant muscle soreness or DOMS,etc. Just a bit of info to keep in mind. I'm not saying you are everybody is different.

I appreciate all the input-yep, When I could run- a bum hip prevents it now, I trained for 1/2 marathons, and noticed I lost defintion too! And I have been waking up lately always sore, I took one day off last week to see how I felt the next day--still sore. This week, I am going to try the weight workouts along with 4 days cardio-30-45 minutes. Plus I got the Fluidity bar and the workouts which concentrate on stretching--I love it!I will also pay closer attention to what I put into my mouth.
I need more sleep now too--dang it, no one prepared me for this 40's deal!:)

I want to say this is an interesting post - and it seems like most of us are in our 40's (44). We all have many things in common, love to exercise, love Cathe, but seems to have the winter? blahs or working-out blahs especially when we're not seeing results.

After reading your posts you convinced me to concentrate more on weights. I always say I am going to, but then I decide my legs need a break :7 . And, I always like working my arms because it seems I see nice definition sooner.

I've also decided to back down on pushing for heavier arm weights because my arms just won't get smaller!

Anyway, thanks for the posts and ideas as usual!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart.
hey ya'll, i just found this thread. i am 52 and have worked out for years, killing myself with cardio. now all of a sudden i'm hearing in different places that we may not need all that cardio. i also am 5' and go between 110-115. i am really concentrating on weight work now that i have discovered cathe. been doing her for about a month now, and i don't really see any difference, and i was gonna quit cardio, but of course, i'm addicted so, i can't.:7 i read a book called "cardio free diet" this guy says that cardio is killing us and we shouldn't do any. but, i don't know. anyway, i am trying more weights and we will see what happens. i wish i could find a magic formula that works, but there just doesn't seem to be one. it has been good to read this thread. good to know that otheres struggle where i do.
cathy

Hi

Just wanted to add my own experience in here. I'm 40 and I've been seeing the best results over the past few months since I upped the weight work and dropped the cardio.

I do cardio for about 45-60 3 times a week at most and full body weight workouts the other days (2-3 days). I've definitely lost inches all over (if not pounds, I never weigh myself). My clothes are fitting really well, my arms, abs and legs look better than ever.

I'm not cut and I don't eat clean (I'm too lazy for that!). I don't lift heavy (I keep up with Cathe, within a pound or two, on upper body weights, nowhere near on lower body.)

I was nervous about not doing so much cardio as before but I'm really pleased with the results. I was also starting to get injured more often from the cardio (dodgy knees, achilles problems) and really had to lay off to be able to keep exercising.

Everyone's different, so this may not work for other people. It's always good to mix things up though.

Ronne

I'm so greatful for this post. It's nice to know there are others out there sharing my exact frusrations. I live in an area where lets say people aren't quite health and fitness oriented. So I can't get much feedback on healthy nutrition and exercise say..at work or from a neighbor! I too am an endorphin junky and I tend to over do the cardio. I know when I'm at my peak and really working out intensely as i've been lately, I am ravenous. I've been eating everything in sight. I do eat cleanly but calories are calories and I've been packing them on. I know I've gained weight because my mid section is getting sloppy looking which is really upsetting since i never gained weight there before (just turned 40 last Oct!). When I get on a roll,I hate to take rest days even though I know they're necessary. I feel kind of tired and dopey all day if I don't do something. I've always felt more alert and sharper when I do more cardio. I also do the weight work in addition. I would just be afraid to let the cardio stuff go and focus soley (or more so) on the weights. But hey, if it works?? I'm very curious to hear any input on Cathe's part.

Been there, done that...I must be on of those "endorphin junkies" too. Like to get moving!! My advice to you is (as I chew on celery) - is to eat as many veggies as you want, get your protein for calories. Sure eat fruit, etc. Just eat a little less at times. Like last night I had an ice-cream sandwich and split it with my hubby. I got my treat, and sure didn't feel guilty. I love wine, but now I get a really small wine glass and don't even fill it. Just a little satisfies the desire!!:)

From postings I've read, and what I've tried, seems the look we want is going to come from weights. I've pushed myself (a little at a time) towards improving strength and it's worked well. I now can keep up with most Cathe's leg weights :p I am amazed by how far I've come in last five months, and I've been working out with her for years. I'm 5'2 and weigh 127. I lost 5 lbs. since January!

One last thing, really try to stick to the monthly rotations she gives you. It's great to have a game plan, and if you have to modify then do it. One last thing, don't give up cardio completely. Like Cathe says (and everyone else) you still need to condition your heart - try 3x/week. Plus for those of us who have stubborn pounds, I think it's necessary to keep the heart-a-pumping.

Hope this helps!

I am 52 and I lost weight after menopause-- about 25 pounds!

I did stop taking Paxil, which may have contributed to my weight loss.

I went from a size 12 petite to a size 4 to 6 petite or lower in size, depending upon the clothing manufacturer AFTER menopause.

I breezed through menopause -- my GYN said I was in the minority. She could not believe I had no symptoms except a lighter and then no menstrual flow.

I expected all these bad things might happen to my body, but I did not have a hot flash or excessive bleeding at all.

My skin and hair are better than ever -- my hair is thicker and my skin glows. I did HRT for 5 years due to some osteopenia, but I stopped taking them after the 5 year point.

I now only take Actonel.

For the past month, I have stopped doing a lot of cardio every day. I alternate an all cardio day with a heavy weight day. I strongly recommend the Gym Style workouts.

I remember from "20 Questions about Fitness" the statement that said without weight training and doing only cardio, you lose valuable muscles. Muscles truly rev up metabolism.

Right now, I am not doing any circuit training. I was sacrificing heavy lifting for circuits because I was such a cardio lover.

I don't own a scale, but I know I've dropped at least another size since focusing on lifting just as much, if not more, than cardio.

And I don't exist on green leaves and yams. I avoid processed meats because I never have liked them (except for bacon and now I do not eat pork).

I had a great Ahi tuna salad at the Outback last evening. It was very light, filled me up and I can't wait to have another!

I did have a regular Coke (with refills) because I refuse to give up everything I enjoy.

I wish you all the best in reaching your goals!

Cheers!

Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.