not able to advance in Turbo Barre

mini-natty

Cathlete
IDK, this workout is still very difficult for me. I just can't seem to get all those reps in w/the leg lifts and my leg won't STAY UP! My legs burn & tremble and I curse and have to take numerous breaks to even complete it. Very humbling considering I thought my legs were my strong point; I could pretty much match what Cathe used for weighted lunges & squats. Anyone else finding this workout extremely difficult? Cathe, if you are reading this, I am convinced you are NOT HUMAN. Or maybe human with super powers. Are you related to Spiderman or Superman?

Natasha

Hi Natasha!
Sorry to read about your difficulties with TB. I don't really know how to help you,but what I can tell you is that is just a matter of time. Give your legs time to get acclimated and you will learn to use also the accessory muscles that ballet type of workout rely on. I don't know if it may be a good idea or not, but I would try to do that 3 times per week for a couple of weeks, just to see if the process speeds up a bit. Chin up girl, I'm sure you'll master TB sooner than you think!;)

Natasha--

I agree with EllieB. Barre-type routines can be really challenging because they do use different muscles -- accessory muscles as Ellie noted -- smaller muscle groups that are not used nearly as much in "traditional" weight workouts. So yes, it can be very humbling at first!:eek:

Just hang in there and you'll surely build up to the reps the more you do it (or other barre routines). It's so worth it; I have found my results really motivating with barre, and Turbo Barre is my new favorite. So keep fighting through those reps!!:eek:

Also, I have days when I can pretty much keep up with the gang in TB, and other times I really struggle. Just hang tough -- mind over muscle!

You will be so glad you stuck with it. Good luck!:D

I just want to add that the first time I did TB, I thought it was some kind of cruel joke! I was used to Cathe's weight and cardio workouts but this was another animal..... i stuck with it because i knew this is what this extreme pear-bottomed girl needs, and i'm so glad i did. nothing else was making a dent in my butt / thighs / thutt but this is :=) it still hurts crazy, usually on the standing leg, but i'm trying to focus more and more on my posture during the exercises and it seems to make the time fly by a little faster. stick with it!!!! it does get better.

Are you trying to lift your leg as high as Cathe when you do the workout? If so, lower them, then try to complete the moves. You'll eventually build up strength. Just keep in trying!

Lisa

Are you trying to lift your leg as high as Cathe when you do the workout? If so, lower them, then try to complete the moves. You'll eventually build up strength. Just keep in trying!

Lisa

:eek: Who gave you the idea that I would try to lift my leg as high as Cathe's???
YES, YES I do try :eek:. And you are completely, 100% right. Even lowering my leg, it's still difficult for me. I know practice is the key.

Thanks ladies for all you suggestions. Maybe 2012 will be the
Year Of The Barre.

Sometimes I end up going down to hands and knees to finish out the reps-like in the Firm Volume 1!!! My standing leg just can't take it anymore.
Beth

I broke the workout up into sections and still felt it a bit the next day. The premixes are great for this. I lift what Cathe lifts and have no problems keeping up with her but this workout is a bit much to take all at once. Sections are the way to go.

I agree that Cathe is superhuman. I'm half her age and sometimes, like after the leg drills with the sts tower at the end of LBB, I wonder how that woman walks the next day let alone sits down.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this workout the way I do. Regular squats, lunges, I'm fine with. But all those leg lifts etc... I try to keep up and can't.

Just did TB tonight and I was thinking the same thing...that Cathe and the crew are superhuman! I also agree that my standing leg feels it more than the one in the air. EEEKKK!!! Especially when you start to bend your standing leg and pulse. YIKES!! I also think I found a blooper during one of the stretches throughout when Cathe says "deep-lier" hehehe! Got a giggle outta me!

I think this is the toughest workout she has made. I am embarressed to say it, but I can only do about 10 minutes and I'm just hurting:eek::eek: But, I think of it as a workout to grow with.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.