No yoga when menstruating?

mariep

Cathlete
Hi, everyone--

I don't have a lot of yoga experience. I've done it on and off, but never consistently. I'm hoping to start doing it once a week just to improve my flexibility. Anyway, I've always wondered why they advise against doing yoga while you have your period. Does anyone know? And is it only on those first couple of heavy days that you shouldn't do it, or the whole time?

Thanks!:)

-Marie

I haven't heard of not doing ANY yoga at TTOM, but I have heard of not doing inverted (head down) poses during that time. Guess because it goes against the natural "flow" of the moment!

I haven't done yoga for quite a while, but I also seem to recall some moves being recommended for cramps, which would make them good for TTOM.

I think you're right, Kathryn. I think it was just inverted poses they advised against, not all yoga. I guess that "against the flow" thing makes sense...that must be what it is.

Thanks!:)

-Marie

The exact reason I heard was that the uterine contents could possibly drain back into the fallopian tubes and out into the abdomen where they can cause endometriosis. Sounds grim enough that I avoid inverted poses during the heavy day.

Is this backwash thing medically possible? I always thought endometriosis is something you either have had or don't have. I mean, you either have lining tissue abnormally growing around your body or you don't - it can't travel around and affix itself to the nearest organ, can it? Are there any reported cases of women developing endometriosis from doing inverted poses while on their period?

I don't mean to start an argument but it just irritates me that women are taught that their natural fluids are somehow bad. The idea that my own blood can infect me sounds like something thought up by a man.

Huff-puff.

:)

Susan G.

IMHO, the admonition against doing yoga, including avoiding inverted poses, during menstruation sounds like a busload of busswah. Yoga practitioners in general tend to make a lot of physiological / medical claims that are not based in science, and this sounds like one of them. Kind of like in earlier times when the medical community itself advocated that women NOT run because the high impact forces might jar their reproductive organs to the point of sterility.

Marie, I'd do a Google search to see if you can get some more science- and research-based information on this issue, then make your decision.

A-Jock

Here's my take on it - although I love yoga, I hate inversions so much I'm happy to omit them from my practice 5 days per month! LOL!

I will tell you one exercise that does help for cramps is in Lotte Berk High Round Assets - the back dancing. It really does help!

You pretty much read my mind, A-Jock. I was thinking that it sounded silly, too; very old-fashioned. Good idea on the Google search; there's so much info out there, guess I should do more research. But I always seem to find the best advice here, so I always check here first!

Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts!:)

-Marie

The tradition of yoga was developed by men, yes?

I have only heard to avoid the inverted poses during your period, not avoid yoga altogether.

So many times men have felt it best to tell women what was best for their own bodies, you know? Makes me crazy!

Susan G.

Backwash

Ok, about this backwash subject. As crazy as it sounds, one of the causes of endometriosis is thought to be caused by retrograde flow of endometrial tissue through the fallopian tubes and into the abdominal cavity. This conclusion has been validated by various medical observations. This information can be confirmed in “Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility” by Leon Speroff, et al. This is not the only cause, there have actually been cases of men diagnosed with endometriosis.

As far as yoga goes, I have never read any research specific to yoga/ invertied poses/ endometriosis. BUT, there are plenty of women diagnosed with the disease who have never taken yoga. Bryan Kest answers a question regarding this on his site http://www.poweryoga.com/aboutyoga/faq.php#menstruation

Take care all!

Autumn

RE: Backwash

Well, maybe backwash was a crude choice of words. Big apologies.

But it seems so strange that the endometrium would flow backwards, not only going opposite of gravity, but against the direction that the cillia in the fallopian tubes pushes everything - towards the uterus, right?

Interesting.

Susan G.

RE: Backwash

Oh, I thought backwash was a delicate choice of words. I work in a Family Planning Clinic, so it takes a lot for something to sound crude to me. :)

Yes, it sounds strange, but that is what the medical books state. I am assuming the force of the flow is too great for the cilia to prevent it. It is interesting this etiology is based on a paper that was published in 1927, but as I said, observations have validated the conclusion of the author. The book I mentioned reports that flow of blood from the end of the tube has been observed in all mentruating women undergoing laparoscopy.

There are other theories (immune system problems, endometrial cells traveling thought the lymph system, etc.). The true cause is considered unknown by some medical experts while others conclude it is a combination of etiologies. I believe there is so much that is not understood about endometriosis and the female reproductive organs in general. Now they say women may ovulate more than once a cycle, which goes against everything I was taught. :)

I am certainly no expert but I've also always thought the advice about avoiding inversions or other poses during menses was hogwash. If I'm not too crampy and up for some yoga, I do whatever poses I like without a second thought.

There are mixed ideas on the subject but here's a Yoga Journal article which might help you to make u your mind.

"Inversions and Menstruation

While practicing inversions when you have your period probably won't cause endometriosis as previously thought, it's still not a good idea for reasons having to do with vascular congestion.

By Yoko Yoshikawa

According to Mary Pullig Schatz, M.D., it is not true that inverting during menses causes endometriosis. The classic theory was that endometriosis is caused from "retrograde menstruation," in which bits of menstrual endometrium go up the fallopian tubes, lodge in the pelvic cavity, and grow, says Dr. Christiane Northrup, author of Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom (Bantam Doubleday Dell, 1998). Schatz states that this theory is outdated, and that "it is now known that endometriosis arises from the presence of cells in the pelvic lining that are capable of developing into endometrial-type cells." Schatz does advise against inverting while menstruating, however, because it may lead to vascular congestion: The uterine veins, which are thin, can stretch and partially collapse, while uterine arteries continue to pump more menstrual blood into the uterus. If inversions cause you to bleed more than usual during your period, you may become weak and emotionally vulnerable."

For details, read "A Woman's Balance: Inversions and Menstruation," by Mary Pullig Schatz, M.D., at http://www.iyengar.ch/Deutsch/text_menstruation.htm.
Asanas (poses) are one limb of the the eight limbs of yoga practice, which include breathwork, meditation, and the yamas and niyamas. Though the effects of asana practice may be immediate in some cases, asanas will reveal their true power through patient, long-term commitment to the practice.

Here is a list of recommended poses during menstruationn:

Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog)
One of the most widely recognized yoga poses, Downward-Facing Dog is an all-over, rejuvenating stretch.

Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose)
The moon has a rich symbolic significance in yoga mythology. In hatha yoga, for example, the sun and the moon represent the two polar energies of the human body. In fact, the word hatha itself is often divided into its two constituent syllables, ha and tha, which are then esoterically interpreted as signifying the solar and lunar energies respectively (don’t forget though that Sanskrit hatha literally means “force”). There’s also a subtle structure in the head (sometimes located at the back of the throat, other times at the base of the brain) called the “moon,” that secretes the “elixir of immortality” (soma or amrita), highly prized by yogis.

Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose)
Named after a legendary teacher of yoga, this twist energizes the spine and stimulates the digestive fire.

Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
This pose is so called because it looks like an archer's bow, the torso and legs representing the body of the bow, and the arms the string.

Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend)
A forward bend for all levels of students, Janu Sirsasana is also a spinal twist.

Marichyasana III (Marichi's Pose)
Marichi's Pose is sometimes called the Sage's Pose. Usually the pose is described with the arm to the outside of the bent knee, but this position isn't accessible to most students. Here we'll work with the arm hugging the leg that's bent.

Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
Unlike many of the poses that mimic the creatures they’re named after, Fish Pose doesn’t actually look like a fish. Instead, it’s said that if you perform this pose in water, you will be able to float like a fish.

Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
The ultimate yoga pose, Padmasana requires open hips and consistent practice.

Pasasana (Noose Pose)
In the full pose the arms are wrapped around the squatting legs and the hands are clasped behind the back, forming a "noose."

Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
Literally translated as intense stretch of the west, Paschimottanasana can help a distracted mind unwind.

Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
This active version of Bridge Pose calms the brain and rejuvenates tired legs.

Supta Padangusthasana (Reclining Big Toe Pose)
Supta Padangusthasana provides relief from backache and stretches the hips, hamstrings, and calves.

Supta Virasana (Reclining Hero Pose)
Reclining Hero or Heroine Pose intensifies the stretch in the thighs and ankles of its upright precursor. It also creates new stretches in the front groins–the area between the tops of the thighs and the hip points–the psoas muscles, and the deep hip flexors.

Caution: Supta Virasana, the reclining variation of Virasana, is an intermediate pose. DO NOT perform this pose unless you can sit your buttocks relatively easily on the floor between your feet.

Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
Camel Pose is a transition between the simpler prone backbends like Dhanuranasa (Bow Pose) and the more challenging backbends like Urdhva Dhanurasana (Upward Bow Pose). For this pose you can pad your knees and shins with a thickly folded blanket.

Utthita Parsvakonasana (Extended Side Angle Pose)
This pose creates a stretch along the top side of the body, from the back heel through the raised arm. What’s often neglected is the need to match the stretch along the under-side of the torso.

Chicks's Rule! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Bobbi

Wow, Bobbi! That is so helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that information!:)

-Marie

Oh Bobbi! First, I have had to accept the possibility that women may ovulate more than once a month. NOW, you are providing an article that states "it is now known that endometriosis arises from the presence of cells in the pelvic lining that are capable of developing into endometrial-type cells" and negates the whole retrograde mensturation as a cause. I will be forced to research the subject. :) The endometriosis subject is of interest because of my profession and I have been diagnosed with it.

This has nothing to do with yoga and menstruating, but it is women's health related. As you may already know, October is breast cancer awareness month. Please, please, please ladies... if you are 40 or older get your mammograms. I spent the day providing breast and cervical screening and sending ladies to the MammoVan. Anyway, there are sooooo many women who neglect themsleves because they are so busy taking care of everyone else. So, please take care of you! And gentlemen (if you happen upon this thread), remind the ladeis in your life. OK, sorry for rambling another direction.

Autumn

Autumn!

You are NOT rambling! Got mine Tuesday! :7
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.