Newbie Ab Question and Thanks

ccmt

First, I've only been lifting since March (heavy work and travel season for me so even less than it sounds). I found Cathe at our local library--but I committed and have grown so much BECAUSE OF YOU CATHLETES! Thank you so much for your generosity, kindness, encouragement, and cleverness on this forum!

Question: I'm one week into STS 2.0 (which has helped me understand the process in such a good way ;) ) My question is probably a dumb one--but I've not been able to find good guidance--so I'm asking . . . how does one rotate in ab workouts? I really can't carve more than an hour out of a day so adding them onto workout days is too much; however, is it cheating or causing myself grief to add them into recovery or rest days? What works for you--what would you recommend? Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom with a newbie!

Last edited:
Hey ccmt, welcome to the forums. :)

Not Cathe here- hopefully she or her staff will answer. But, I don't see any issues in doing a core workout on a recovery day. I think Jenn posted in another thread on the rotations that it was fine. On my non-lifting days, I do a shorter cardio, a core, then a recovery dvd. So twice a week for core & cardio for me - I see many people have opted out of cardio for this series tho. I frequently tack on another recovery workout after lifting, depending on the time available & how my body feels.

Oh, and yeah, no question is "dumb" - there's an expression: "a fool wonders, a wise person asks..." so ask away... You may get a response from Cathe or SNM, but often another regular member responds too.

HTH, Happy Lifting!

ccmt, Debinmi is correct. I remember the response from Jenn. I was so relieved when I read it to find out that I hadn't been doing something that I shouldn't be doing. One of my ab/core workout days has been on my active recovery day for almost 3 years now. I had wondered over the years if it was okay, but didn't ask, because I didn't want to know the answer if it was the opposite of what I was doing. lol It was working for me, so I left it alone. It was nice to find out for sure, though, that there isn't a problem with it.

I'm not doing cardio with STS 2.0, so ideally, I have 3 days of lifting, and core and recovery workouts for 3 days. I also do Pilates at a studio once a week. I sometimes have to take a day off completely due to work. I've been doubling up the STS 2.0 core and recovery workouts, so I might do the 2 weight plate core workouts together or the mini ball and no equipment together, and for recovery I will do the foam roller workouts together, or the mobility 1 & 2, or the chair & mat yoga. Sometimes I will combine a core and a recovery workout and sometimes I will swap out one of the core/recovery days with a Pilates style workout that focuses on core and mobility.

Utilizing Cathe's 12-week rotation, I've been tagging the core days on my recovery workout days (so if there's a yoga or mobility or stretch or even foam roller-type workout slotted for the day, I add on one of her ab workouts.) The nice thing about her ab workouts in this series especially is that they're pretty short. Like average maybe 10 minutes, so it's not too difficult to tag on, especially on the active recovery days.

Good luck!

I love these new abs workouts!My issue is that I’m now 56 and cannot get my abs toned no matter what I do/I’m in good shape otherwise and yet my clothes never fit right since my tummy sticks out-does anyone else struggle with this “pregnant”look,when your last baby is in College?!!Its so frustrating-I’ve collected quite the Arsenal of abs workouts but it’s like I’m fighting a losing battle

Extra weight around the midsection seems par for the course as we age. Instead of doing core for the appearance, keep doing it for the other health benefits. A healthy, strong core just improves your lifestyle, period. Less back problems, and it supports you through all your other daily activities and workouts.

FlemingCol56, yes, I've been there! I am actually underweight and have been my entire life, but when I hit a certain age, I got the pregnancy belly bulge. I solved it by accident. Basically, my husband had a bunch of health problems (including fatty liver diseased caused by a medication he was on - the doctors said the it was permanent and incurable). So, we did a 10-day detox. I just did it to support my husband, but I ended up with a nice flat belly. A week after the detox, the belly was back. Hmmm? So, we started wondering how we could get more permanent results without having to live on a detox. I researched and found out all of the horrible things that are in food, so we started eating "clean". Different people define "clean" eating differently. Since I have no intention of giving up chocolate and my husband likes salty processed foods (chips), we settled for the following definition for our family, "If it's not food, don't put it in your mouth". So, basically, we don't eat MSGs, lecithanes, artificials, modifieds, pesticides/herbacides/fungacides, fillers, etc. Since we still wanted to eat (in moderation) junk food, we had to change where and how we shop. We thought it would be more expensive, but were surprised to find that our food is now more filling, so we eat less - price of our grocery bill did not change. We ended up healthier and the belly went away again and my husband dropped 20 lbs. or so without exercising or dieting - just by getting the chemicals out of our food. That motivated us to go more plant-based and start focusing on nutrient-dense foods. We eat 100% grass fed organic red meat about once a week, organic free range poultry about once a week (same with eggs), and wild-caught fish/seafood about once a week. I learned to cook from other cultures, and our meals are soooo flavorful now that we don't notice that we're eating less meat. Anyways, that's been our journey. We do a 10- day detox sometime in the summer (because it's cheaper that time of year) and usually one right after the winter holidays (because we eat at other people's houses and it leaves us feeling unhealthy). We still haven't given up our favorite foods, but we eat "clean" versions, which by the way, taste so much better. Anyways, I have a flat stomach. Well, except around Christmas. lol I also discovered that I have a gluten intolerance that causes inflammation, which was causing skin issues, joint pain, and some of the pregnancy belly. I couldn't give it up, but I reduced it a LOT. I use alternative flours in most of my baking, which often increases the protein, which has been great for supporting my body and the workouts that I put it through. When I have a slice of bread, it's a slice of geniune sourdough or something that's been allowed to rise on its own (not quickly) for hours, because the natural rising process makes it so that more of the gluten is broken down and doesn't cause me issues (if eaten in moderation). My guess is that it's something in your diet. So, I'd suggest trying a detox. If that helps, it's probably your diet or something in your diet that's sabotaging your efforts. Oh, and if you're drinking pop, try subbing kombucha. Also, you're probably aware that stress (especially as we get 'less young', because I refuse to admit I'm getting older:) causes us to store fat in the belly. Before you burn out, say "no". We are not superwomen. We are not invincible. We can't be everywhere doing everything at once and multi-tasking is overrated. Our bosses will survive if we don't stay late, and if they don't, it's their own dang fault. Our husbands are capable of finding their own socks and underwear, and we don't have to answer every text/phone call that comes in. Take a bubble bath, do a yoga workout, read a trashy romance, or do whatever helps you de-stress. :)

FlemingCol56, yes, I've been there! I am actually underweight and have been my entire life, but when I hit a certain age, I got the pregnancy belly bulge. I solved it by accident. Basically, my husband had a bunch of health problems (including fatty liver diseased caused by a medication he was on - the doctors said the it was permanent and incurable). So, we did a 10-day detox. I just did it to support my husband, but I ended up with a nice flat belly. A week after the detox, the belly was back. Hmmm? So, we started wondering how we could get more permanent results without having to live on a detox. I researched and found out all of the horrible things that are in food, so we started eating "clean". Different people define "clean" eating differently. Since I have no intention of giving up chocolate and my husband likes salty processed foods (chips), we settled for the following definition for our family, "If it's not food, don't put it in your mouth". So, basically, we don't eat MSGs, lecithanes, artificials, modifieds, pesticides/herbacides/fungacides, fillers, etc. Since we still wanted to eat (in moderation) junk food, we had to change where and how we shop. We thought it would be more expensive, but were surprised to find that our food is now more filling, so we eat less - price of our grocery bill did not change. We ended up healthier and the belly went away again and my husband dropped 20 lbs. or so without exercising or dieting - just by getting the chemicals out of our food. That motivated us to go more plant-based and start focusing on nutrient-dense foods. We eat 100% grass fed organic red meat about once a week, organic free range poultry about once a week (same with eggs), and wild-caught fish/seafood about once a week. I learned to cook from other cultures, and our meals are soooo flavorful now that we don't notice that we're eating less meat. Anyways, that's been our journey. We do a 10- day detox sometime in the summer (because it's cheaper that time of year) and usually one right after the winter holidays (because we eat at other people's houses and it leaves us feeling unhealthy). We still haven't given up our favorite foods, but we eat "clean" versions, which by the way, taste so much better. Anyways, I have a flat stomach. Well, except around Christmas. lol I also discovered that I have a gluten intolerance that causes inflammation, which was causing skin issues, joint pain, and some of the pregnancy belly. I couldn't give it up, but I reduced it a LOT. I use alternative flours in most of my baking, which often increases the protein, which has been great for supporting my body and the workouts that I put it through. When I have a slice of bread, it's a slice of geniune sourdough or something that's been allowed to rise on its own (not quickly) for hours, because the natural rising process makes it so that more of the gluten is broken down and doesn't cause me issues (if eaten in moderation). My guess is that it's something in your diet. So, I'd suggest trying a detox. If that helps, it's probably your diet or something in your diet that's sabotaging your efforts. Oh, and if you're drinking pop, try subbing kombucha. Also, you're probably aware that stress (especially as we get 'less young', because I refuse to admit I'm getting older:) causes us to store fat in the belly. Before you burn out, say "no". We are not superwomen. We are not invincible. We can't be everywhere doing everything at once and multi-tasking is overrated. Our bosses will survive if we don't stay late, and if they don't, it's their own dang fault. Our husbands are capable of finding their own socks and underwear, and we don't have to answer every text/phone call that comes in. Take a bubble bath, do a yoga workout, read a trashy romance, or do whatever helps you de-stress. :)
Awesome response, Braille! You have inspired me to look into the detox. I know I do not eat as well as I should and I am trying harder to be aware of what I put in my body. I look closely at labels and it there are ingredients that I can't pronounce, I won't eat it!

Extra weight around the midsection seems par for the course as we age. Instead of doing core for the appearance, keep doing it for the other health benefits. A healthy, strong core just improves your lifestyle, period. Less back problems, and it supports you through all your other daily activities and workouts.
Thanks!I definitely try to focus on the health aspect more these days,rather then a six pack-sometimes I compare myself now with an outdated version-the version who could wear a smaller jeans size and I know I shouldn’t!!

Thanks for all this great info-I do see a GI Dr and I’ve tried different ways of eating such as Low Fodmap or low carb and nothing seems to help-I do notice that my tummy expands during the day and it seems that I can eat the exact same foods and yet one day I’m less bloated then others even though diet is the same-I’m determined to find a solution though-thanks for your great info!!

Awesome response, Braille! You have inspired me to look into the detox. I know I do not eat as well as I should and I am trying harder to be aware of what I put in my body. I look closely at labels and it there are ingredients that I can't pronounce, I won't eat it!
We do this detox (I think copying and pasting this link will work). https://onnalomd.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Marhhyman10daydetoxdie_03-03-2018_19.pdf

I try to cut down on my junk food intake a few days before I go on the detox, because if I don't, I get a splitting headache around day 3 (chocolate and sugar withdrawal, I suspect). My husband and son love this detox, so I haven't tried any others. It's an awful lot of food though. It doesn't look like much, but I'm usually still full from the previous meal by the time I'm supposed to eat the next meal. Also, if I've been eating sweets before the detox, I can't hardly choke the protein shake down. It just doesn't taste good. The detox kind of "resets" a lot of things in your body, including your taste buds. By day 3, the shake tastes good, by day 5, it tastes great. After that, I start craving it. I've been known to make them for a few days after the detox is over to use up some left-over ingredients and because I don't want to give them up yet. They kind of grow on you. It's weird. Anyways, it's not a lot of variety as far as food goes, but it's pretty simple to follow. When I was looking up this link, I noticed that he has newer versions of his detox that have a lot more variety and some recipes. I wonder if the newer ones work as well as the one we've been doing? I'm think about asking my husband if he'd be willing to try doing the one with the recipes during the winter. I don't mind the one we do in the summer, because I can cut down on dishes by throwing some of it on the grill and the salads are portable for when we're out hiking and stuff. In the winter, though, I wouldn't mind doing a few more dishes for the sake of a nice hot detox soup. lol Anyways, if you decide on the one I gave the link to, all meat is supposed to be organic and 100% grass-fed, fish/seafood wild caught, and the produce organic if on the dirty dozen list. The link is to a "cheat sheet" that we use. I really should get around to buying the book, but I'd dilly dally around reading it and put off doing the detox. lol

In spite of eating cleaner than I ever have and exercising more than I ever have previously I have still developed a belly since becoming menopausal even though I haven't gained any weight. I do Pilates regularly, so I know I have strong abs. I just put it down to aging and focus on my health.
I also do Pilates type moves-I alternate Cathe with Barlates-my upper abs right under ribs look toned but my lower tummy just protrudes -shape wear seems to make the bulge more obvious

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.