new "unexpected" addition to my home

bjbowers

Cathlete
I will post pics as soon as I can, but I have the most adorable stray laying at my feet right now. He looks like a german shepard mixed with something, but he's got to be the sweetest thing I've ever seen.

My SO and his son found him outside when he almost got ran over. We checked with our neighbors and no one claimed him. He has a collar, with a tag from our local Humane Society. We called the number and are waiting for a call back. We bathed him and fed him, and introduced him to my Golden...they're like best friends. I'm not looking for a new dog now, but I feel so protective of him, I just don't want him to go back to a Humane Society or back to the streets...he ate so much when he got here, and drank probably 3 huge bowls of water.

The funniest thing is my half Llahsa Apso half Chihuahua chased him through the house and had HIM running scared! I didn't let that happen for just a second, but it was hilarious, this little ankle biter being the dominant dog!!

Advice would be appreciated, I'm scared of our local Humane Society putting him down, yet I'm trying to keep him separated from my babies because I know their history, but not his...
Brandi

RE: new

Well, I wanted one foo-foo dog.....and have since adopted a Lhasa, a beagle, a basset, and we also now have my mom with us and her golden.....oh yes, and Max the Cat was a wee kitty when my son found him and now he lets us live here - you know how cats are.....sounds like you've bonded, and the best dogs are the adopted ones it seems! As corny as this sounds, I always believe there are special places in heaven for people who take in creatures......you are a special lady!

I have a thing about this ...people who lose their animals and don't bother looking do not deserve to have them back. So, if owners are found, but they aren't even bothering to look, then I could not hand the sweet thing over. And I wouldn't give back to the Humane Society either if you have fallen :) A quick trip to the vet will confirm whether you can start the bonding process with your other pets (or maybe even a call back from the Humane Society if they took care of all shots, etc.) How lucky of you, and kind as well, to do this. I help rescue pets in our neighborhood and either match up people missing them with the pets (I get calls from people who find and lose pets), or help find homes. I've actually heard people say that if they don't find their animal, it's ok!!! I tell them, then, that I think it would have a better home elsewhere. x( And I live in a very nice neighborhood, apparently with some cold hearted people... Hence, my stance on if owners aren't bothering to look, then the dog is better off.

Okay so his owner lives about a mile away from me. The Humane Society gave me her name and number, and 15 hours after we found her, the lady didn't even know he was missing!!! Ugh, that just makes me sick! Now I'm waiting for her to call back to see when she might be able to pick him up. I brought him to work with me and he's my loyal companion! I've got to figure out my picturetrail password and post a pic cuz he's just so adorable.

Brandi

She didn't know he was missing? She doesn't deserve him at ALL! Keep him. Tell her you were mistaken. You actually found a ferret.

>She didn't know he was missing? She doesn't deserve him at
>ALL! Keep him. Tell her you were mistaken. You actually
>found a ferret.

I second that! How do you not know your dog is missing??? HELLO!!!

That was my point exactly. She does not deserve to have the dog - what kind of life is she giving it?? Dogs need love, attention, activity, mental stimulation, FOOD/WATER!! Does she not even bother with that basic necessity? To not know it was missing is just wrong - I would not hand him over. A lady at Petco so an owner mistreating a dog in the store and said she would take it, and the owner just handed it over. Some people are just not deserving of the unconditional love our animals give.

Oh crap. Can you offer to buy the dog from her? It doesn't sound like she's very attached to him. Maybe a few dollars will remove her from the poor thing's life & he can have the home he deserves with you.

So sad.

What Shelley said. And then keep him, he will only add more happiness and joy to your life.:7

Well 2 hours after I called her, she called back and had her son in law come and get him. :( I was sad, and I believe he was too ;) She called and told me that she made an appt to get him fixed, and thanked me profusely. She called herself his "mom" which made me feel like she loves him. I told her I was hoping I could keep him, but that didn't go over like I hoped. The son in law seemed great and I think it was just a mistake. I hope. He was such a good boy and looked like a tall bear cub! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed he's got a happy home, or else I'll just start crying again:(
Brandi

Don't feel bad sweetheart, you did the right thing. He didn't belong to you. Think of it this way, she may have had something very pressing in her life. I'm sure he will be just fine, and you made another human being very happy bringing them back together. Especially if she calls herself Mom to him.

You did the right thing.

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

'kay, said I wasn't gonna cry again!! Janie, you're right, I know, and thank you. I am a huge animal lover, and I was maybe getting a little selfish. Thanks Janie, you're so sweet and positive all the time.
Brandi
eta: I'm still going to post his adorable pic tomorrow IF I can figure it out again...hmm....did I tell you he is half husky, half rot wieler (sp?)I'm off in search of more (shhhhh..don't tell anyone!)
edited again for spelling :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.