New Ryka Studio Mid Flex shoes

Two thumbs up!

Zappos overnighted these to me and I just tried them on--they are very comfortable and have got to be the lightest pair of Ryka's I have ever owned! So glad I decided to try them!! They fit beautifully!! (I always size up 1/2 size on my athletic shoes)

Denise

Denise,
How do you like mid top for cardio? I do all of my cardio like step/kickboxing etc... on carpet and I love my old ryka's. (They are not mid top) I'm curious if that added height might be a bonus.
Thanks.

Denise, how is the cushioning in the shoes? The last Rykas I bought (Ryka Instructor Mid) didn't have very much cushioning for high-impact step aerobics. Thanks.

I was wondering about the cushioning too. I haven't found any studio shoes from Ryka that even comes close to the cushioning in the Enlight II's. I wonder if these new ones do. Please let us know. Thanks in advance.

Denise - what is the instep support like on these. I started with the studio N-gage which had good instep support, then moved to the instructor (which look alot like the ones you've posted) and the instep support is not as good.

Thanks

Emma

Review of Ryka Intensity XT3 and Studio Flex Low

Hey everybody,

Just thought I'd chime in here with a couple of reviews.

I have recently had to retire my last pair of beloved Enlight II's and have been looking for weeks for a good new "studio" shoe for my Cathe step and hi/lo work. I have tried and returned Nike, Asics and New Balance cross-trainers. Last week I got a pair of Ryka Studio Flex LOW and a pair of Intensity XT3's from Zappos. I liked the way the Studio Flex looked in the Low-profile version and the reviewers praised the support even in the Low version. So I thought I'd give that Low version a whirl and compare it to the Intensity XT3, which I believe is a slightly older model.

For info purposes, I should add that my feet used to be quite narrow but now (middle age, ugh) are on the slim side of a B width. My ankles are thin and my knees are famously unstable, so I usually prefer the feel and support of a Mid studio shoe, even though I much prefer low-rise shoes for running and kickboxing.

Out of the box I thought I was going to like the Studio Flex and not like the Intensity XT3's, because the Studio Flex's simply looked much cuter and fresher. The Intensity XT3's visually reminded me very much of my Enlight II's -- which is to say, that solid-white, all-leather, boxier "RYKA" look. They just looked more dated.

But guess what, I was wrong. I have tried both pair now for a workout, and the Intensity XT3's (which I wore today for Body Max 2's hour-long Cardio Blast premix) are VERY reminiscent of the Enlight II's in the best ways. I have room to move my foot in the toebox, but not too much, and my ankles are supported but not restricted. I also felt that there was ample lateral support and mid-foot support. This shoe isn't labeled a "Mid" shoe and it's really kind of somewhere in between -- it's not as tall as the Enlight II on my foot, but taller than a "Low" shoe. Whatever they'd call it -- "Low-Mid" maybe -- all that high-impact stuff and lateral movement in BM2 was a great test. My feet and ankles and knees felt well-loved. Terrific shoe.

Now, the Studio Flex on the other hand was a disappointment. I wore it several days ago to do IMax 2, and my legs and feet weren't happy with me the next day. The Low profile doesn't offer the ankle support that a higher shoe would, of course, but I felt that generally the shoe lacked support and cushioning all the way around. It's a mesh shoe (it reminded me of an Asics running shoe), so maybe that affects the way my foot felt, but even with thicker socks this shoe felt too wide in the toebox. I even tried thicker socks, to no avail. My foot felt like it was sliding around horizontally. So, NO lateral support. I also felt that this shoe had less cushioning for high impact, propulsion moves.

I am sending back the Studio Flex's and I'm not even sure I'm going to try that shoe in the Mid version, given how it felt overall.

And I'm keeping those old-school-style Intensity XT3's, dated look or not. :p

Here are links if y'all want to take a look:

Intensity XT3: (This does come with some color accents, althought I got the plain old white/silver which no doubt added to the "datedness" of the look.)

http://www.zappos.com/product/7344767/color/113278

Studio Flex Low:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7510799/color/187248

Hope y'all find this helpful!!! :D

Hey, Denise -- question!

Denise,

Do you think I should try the Mid version of the Studio Flex? I found the Low version really lacked some cushioning (see my review on this thread), but I must say the Mid really looks like an almost totally different shoe.

Thanks for your input!! :)

Thanks for the info on the Intensity XT3 Kathy. I needed new shoes and these looked appealing. You're review pushed me over the edge!:D

BTW, I bought them in, drumroll please.... black! I'm getting tired of the same ole white, and variations thereof. If I like them a lot I'll probably end up getting a second pair in a more neutral color.

I knew I shouldn't of opened this thread! I didn't even need a new pair of shoes but still ordered the Intensity XT3 in black. I've been wanting a pair of black workout shoes and I love Rykas.:D

LOL! i got the /Platinum/White/Plum Ice. i don't really like black. so, i thought these might be a bit different. i can't wait to try them!!!! let me know how you like them, jacque and leslie. LOL! my sentiments exactly, jacque. should not have opened this thread!!!
cathy

Yep, count me in- I caved this morning. I bought the black. I also bought a pair of the Asics gel intensity sneaks to try out- I've read great reviews on those. I figure if I like them both I'll keep them and rotate them. Thanks for the reviews and the enabling! :D

Holy Moly! I ordered the shoes last night @ 7pm from Zappos. They were delivered to my door just now, in less than 24 hours! And I didn't even pay for shipping!

Gotta love that store. BTW, they fit great! Can't wait to kickbox with them tomorrow.:D

Just FYI (and to further enable you guys) I received both of mine the other day and I think I prefer the Asics Gel Intensity- tons of support and cushioning. I did Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step Mix 2 yesterday and my feet and knees felt terrific, even with all of that jumping.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.